• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 3)

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
So what? Regard Mark's original as a "first edition"..:)
Later, people came up to him with eyewitness accounts of Jesus's appearances after resurrecting so he included them in a second edition.
Authors of all sorts of factual books do it even today as new information comes to light..:)
That is ridiculous. There is no evidence of this extended ending before 150 CE and it is written in a completely different style than the rest of the Gospel. Mark the evangelists supposedly died 68 CE.

And what "eyewitness accounts? Read Mark 16:8, what does it say? Are you going to contradict it? Are you going to tell me that the Gospels are accurate but Mark 16:8 is not true? It says the women went away and told nobody. I repeat, they told nobody. So where do these eyewitness accounts come from? How does "Mark" know what they saw? :shrug:

Call_of_the_Wild

I can understand how it would seem reasonable to expect that if someone were writing an account that included a prophesy that had been fulfilled by the time of the account's composition, there would be some mention of the fulfillment.

What I mean is if this shows up . . .:

Luke:21:5 Some of his disciples were remarking about how the temple was adorned with beautiful stones and with gifts dedicated to God. But Jesus said, 6 “As for what you see here, the time will come when not one stone will be left on another; every one of them will be thrown down.”

. . . in a book written after the temple had fallen, some mention of it wouldn't be surprising, but would it have been necessary?

But we are talking about books that are quick to point out whenever a prophecy was fulfilled. Apparently the authors thought that those prophecies were necessary to be mentioned, why not this one?

I'm guessing that almost everyone reading that gospel around the time of it's composition would be well aware that the temple had fallen (as you pointed out, the fall of Jerusalem was a major event) so adding something like "btw, this has been fulfilled" to the passage would have been redundant. The destruction of the temple would have been common knowledge. Anyone who believed what was written in Luke would be able to see a fulfilled prophecy in that passage without having to be told that's what it was.

You can conclude it, and so would your readers, all on their own. You wouldn't have to say, "btw, this was fulfilled". The significance of the prediction would be self-explanatory.

Sooo if "anyone who believed what was written in Luke would be able to see a fulfilled prophecy in that passage without having to be told that's what it was", if that was the case, then why does the book of Matthew lists at least 12 times something in the effect of "this fullfilled the word of the Lord through the Prophet"?

So why doesn't your explanation harmonize with Matthew listing the fulfilments of OTHER predictions? When a prophecy was fulfilled, the author mentions it...plain and simple, and if the author was sitting down writing the narrative as Jesus predicted the destruction of the temple, and the author is writing this AFTER the prophecy was fullfilled, as significant as that would have been, he would have mentioned it in some capacity.

When Luke narrates Jesus' prediction, he would have included something like "which was fullfiled during the reign of Vespasian at the fall of Jerusalem". Something like that. What is wrong with that?

You could, of course, add something like, "btw, this has been fulfilled" if for whatever reason you felt it necessary, but I don't think anyone would see it as a major omission if you didn't. The point of the prediction would stand on it's own.

I would agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that other fulfillments are mentioned. You could use your line of reasoning for every single case at which either book mentions a fulfillment of a prophecy. If it states in a old testament prophecy that "the Messiah will be born of a virgin", and in the new testament has "the Messiah was born of a virgin"...if the authors of the Gospels shared your view, they would not include the whole "so that prophecy X was fullfilled". But the fact of the matter is, they DO mention it, so apparently they didn't share your view, as good as it is.

So then the question becomes, why wasn't this particular fulfillment mentioned but countless others were?

The one that says Paul was executed in 65 C.E.

But then again, you admit that the latter part of the book of Acts was about Paul...if Paul had already died by that time, how could you not include his death?? Especially when the deaths of Stephen, James, and King Herod is mentioned. You mention King Herod's death but not Paul's?

So we can logically conclude that it was written prior to his death.

Of course. If the destruction of Jerusalem had occurred during Paul's ministry, no doubt an account would have shown up in Acts. But as I pointed out earlier, Paul's ministry (by all accounts, tradition included) concluded prior to the event.

Remember, the point of the thread is to date the Gospels. After doing some critical thinking about your point, I agree with you regarding Acts. However, we can date the Gospel of Luke and book of Acts based on the logical conclusion we can draw from what I mentioned above...and it is based on that..that we can conclude the book of Luke was written not only prior to 70AD, but prior to 65-67AD.

You're talking about more than a sprinkle. Especially if you're expecting any mention of events that happen outside of the stories time-frame.

But that would fail to take in to the consideration of relevance...the mention of the fulfillment of the prophecy would be RELEVANT considering Matthew painted the picture of Jesus as the sent Messiah and fulfiller of prophecies, so mentioning his accurate fulfillment would have been relevant to the purpose of the narrative?

Call_of_the_Wild

fantôme profane;3920977 said:
Interesting.

Do you personally believe that Jesus was a per-existing being that exited from the beginning of time?

Is there anything in the Gospel of Mark that indicates Jesus as a pre-existing being?

Is there anything in the Gosple of Matthew that indicates Jesus as a pre-existiong being?

Is there anything in the Gospel of Luke (or Acts) that indicates Jesus as a pre-existiong being?

In all of the synoptics, Jesus refers to himself as the "Son of man", and the Son of Man is identified as

Is there anything in the Gospel of John that indicates Jesus as a pre-existiong being?

(If you don't see why these questions are relevant, just answer them and I think the relevance will become immediately apparent)

I think I know what you are implying...you are implying that over time, the Deity of Jesus and his nature becomes progressively more apparent has time went on, and since John is the last Gospel that was written, his book goes to show Jesus' Deity at its fullest peak, or its "last stop"..or "finished product". So as the legend grew, so did the nature of Jesus and his "Godship".

Is that what you are saying? I've heard something similar being said by Bashir Ally, and it is a good angle, admittedly.

I have 2 things to say about this.

1. I have an argument for Jesus being God, my infamous "Argument from Moral Perfection" which is solely based on the moral perfection of Jesus, which the entire NT would agree with...and as long as all Gospels agree with this, then it would counter your angle :D

2. 1Corinthians predate the Gospels, and in this Epistle, it is clear that Jesus had a pre-human existence. So if this book predates the Gospel, then you have a book that is independent of the Gospel that confirms his pre-human existence and that would make your angle irrlevant :yes:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I think I know what you are implying...you are implying that over time, the Deity of Jesus and his nature becomes progressively more apparent has time went on, and since John is the last Gospel that was written, his book goes to show Jesus' Deity at its fullest peak, or its "last stop"..or "finished product". So as the legend grew, so did the nature of Jesus and his "Godship".

Is that what you are saying? I've heard something similar being said by Bashir Ally, and it is a good angle, admittedly.

1. I have an argument for Jesus being God, my infamous "Argument from Moral Perfection" which is solely based on the moral perfection of Jesus, which the entire NT would agree with...and as long as all Gospels agree with this, then it would counter your angle :D

2. 1Corinthians predate the Gospels, and in this Epistle, it is clear that Jesus had a pre-human existence. So if this book predates the Gospel, then you have a book that is independent of the Gospel that confirms his pre-human existence and that would make your angle irrlevant :yes:
What I am implying is that the Christology presented in the synoptic Gospels differs significantly from that presented in the Gospel of John. This is in response to your claim that the central message is the same no matter what Gospel you read. I think this is a pretty significant and pretty clear difference.

And you are right about 1Corinthians, the Christology in the Gospel of John is in many ways more like that of Paul, than it is like the other Gospels. I didn't mean to imply that there is a straight lineal historical progression. Only that there are clear and significant Christological and Theological differences between the Gospels.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I have argued this from the begining.

But I don't see how your points contradict anything. Can you explain your argument from moral perfection?

And how does Corinthians provide a pre-human existence to Jesus?

Call_of_the_Wild

I have argued this from the begining.

But I don't see how your points contradict anything. Can you explain your argument from moral perfection?

I've argued this at great lengths throughout these forums and If I have to do the same on this thread, I will..but the short version is..

1. Only God can come on earth and live a morally perfect life
2. Jesus came on earth and lived a morally perfect life
3. Therefore, Jesus is God

And from then I use both biblical and philosphical reasoning to grant the first two premises, and if they are true, the conclusion in 3 follows logically.

And how does Corinthians provide a pre-human existence to Jesus?

Im sorry, I meant Colossians 1:15-17. Looks like pre-human existence to me.

Call_of_the_Wild

fantôme profane;3922314 said:
What I am implying is that the Christology presented in the synoptic Gospels differs significantly from that presented in the Gospel of John. This is in response to your claim that the central message is the same no matter what Gospel you read. I think this is a pretty significant and pretty clear difference.

I said that the message of all four Gospels are the same...that Jesus died for the sins of mankind...and that he was crucified, buried, Resurrected, and was seen alive by his followers.

Now this was all part of the Pre-Pauline creed. That and that alone is what we as Christians hang our hats on...that is what I meant by the "central message".

fantôme profane;3922314 said:
And you are right about 1Corinthians, the Christology in the Gospel of John is in many ways more like that of Paul, than it is like the other Gospels. I didn't mean to imply that there is a straight lineal historical progression. Only that there are clear and significant Christological and Theological differences between the Gospels.

I mistakened 1Corin for Colossians. The 1Corin was the passage involving the creed. The Colossians passage involved the pre-human existence of Jesus.

Call_of_the_Wild

fantôme profane;3922418 said:
I knew it was somewhere in Paul's letters, I took your word for it being Corinthians.

Well, the only thing that matters is that it is IN THERE, regardless of which book it is in.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
fantôme profane;3921918 said:
Are you going to tell me that the Gospels are accurate but Mark 16:8 is not true?

Mark was a pal of Jesus's right hand man Peter, so after Mark wrote his gospel, Peter no doubt came up and gave him little snippets of extra material to help him do a second edition, it happens all the time in the publishing world, just like when Sherrif Gene "Little Bill" Hackman gave the writer guy lots of new info about historic gunfights in "Unforgiven"..:)

outhouse

Atheistically
Mark was a pal of Jesus's right hand man Peter, so after Mark wrote his gospel,

Unsubstantiated, it just is not true.

Provide credible sources

The author was a Hellenist from the Diaspora who had poor geographical knowledge of Galilee.

Someone who had no clue about the living Jesus, and wrote a fancy tale using rhetoric from traditions he had collected over a long period of time.

Hi,
All that is (ALL) Scripture is given by the inspiration of God.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (KJV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Mark was the cousin of Barnabas (Col 4:10), His full name was John Mark. He was an early veteran of the missionary work. Mark and Peter had close ties (1Peter 5:13),

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Originally Posted by Shuttlecraft
Mark was a pal of Jesus's right hand man Peter
Unsubstantiated, it just is not true.
Provide credible sources..

I use the credible source on the left..:)
Bible-two.gif~original

And with some detective work we know enough about Mark to be able to do a "This is Your Life" show about him..:)-

Mark was a friend of Jesus's righthand man Peter (1 Peter 5:13)
Mark was a cousin of Barnabas (Colossians 4:10),
a helpful co-worker of Paul (2 Timothy 4:11),
and wrote his gospel c.60AD not long after some Apostolic Letters were written: i.e., James, Galatians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Corinthians, and Romans.
His mother was one of the Marys (Acts 12:12) from an influential and probably wealthy family, and so some speculated that the last supper was held in their home and that he was the young man in Mark 14:51-52.

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Mark was a pal of Jesus's right hand man Peter, so after Mark wrote his gospel, Peter no doubt came up and gave him little snippets of extra material to help him do a second edition, it happens all the time in the publishing world, just like when Sherrif Gene "Little Bill" Hackman gave the writer guy lots of new info about historic gunfights in "Unforgiven"..:)
Wow, try again reading Mark 16:8. Really, you got your bible there, get it out, open it up, turn to the last chapter of Mark and read 16:8. Really do that before replying to this post.

Does it say the women went and told Peter what they saw? Does it say the women told the guy standing on the corner selling falafels? Does it say the went down to the river and told the girls doing laundry? No, it says they told nobody.

So how did Peter know what happened so he could tell Mark?

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
fantôme profane;3923152 said:
..Does it say the women went and told Peter what they saw?

It's not rocket science!
After the women saw Jesus had vanished from the tomb, surely you don't think they went home, had a cup of tea and a nap?
Nah, they went running round telling everybody in sight that "Our Main Man has gone!", it was probably all over Jerusalem inside 5 minutes..:)

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It's not rocket science!
After the women saw Jesus had vanished from the tomb, surely you don't think they went home, had a cup of tea and a nap?
Nah, they went running round telling everybody in sight that "Our Main Man has gone!", it was probably all over Jerusalem inside 5 minutes..:)
Great, so you are directly contradicting what it says in Mark 16:8. Because you personally don't think that it is reasonable to think that the two women just went away and told nobody. But reasonable or not, rocket science or not, that is exactly what Mark 16:8 says.

As for what I personally think, I think the whole story of the empty tomb and the resurrection are fictional. It doesn't matter what I think, the point here is that you are directly contradicting what the Gospel of Mark says. That is fine with me, just pointing it out.

(btw, did you actually get out your Bible and read Mark 16:8 before replying to my post like I asked you to?)

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I've argued this at great lengths throughout these forums and If I have to do the same on this thread, I will..but the short version is..

1. Only God can come on earth and live a morally perfect life
2. Jesus came on earth and lived a morally perfect life
3. Therefore, Jesus is God

And from then I use both biblical and philosphical reasoning to grant the first two premises, and if they are true, the conclusion in 3 follows logically.
We only know what was written about Jesus. There is no way to prove that he lived a moral life that was pure. We couldn't provide that for a person that was living today. Alternatively there is no single set of "morals" that one would have to abide by as they are arbitrary in many cases and often conflict.

Im sorry, I meant Colossians 1:15-17. Looks like pre-human existence to me.
It really doesn't provide evidence of anything except the Jews were looking for the messiah.

fantôme profane;3923152 said:
Wow, try again reading Mark 16:8. Really, you got your bible there, get it out, open it up, turn to the last chapter of Mark and read 16:8. Really do that before replying to this post.

Does it say the women went and told Peter what they saw? Does it say the women told the guy standing on the corner selling falafels? Does it say the went down to the river and told the girls doing laundry? No, it says they told nobody.

The women did ,in fact,tell Peter and the rest of the disciples.The angel commanded them to do so in Mark 16:7 "But go, tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of YOU into Gal′i·lee;.."

It is confirmed in Matthew 28:8 So, quickly leaving the memorial tomb, with fear and great joy, they ran to report to his disciples.

Also in Luke 24:9. "and they returned from the memorial tomb and reported all these things to the eleven and to all the rest."

Peter is included in those eleven.The 12th,Judas Iscariot, had already been dismissed.

I am on no ones side, but you are correct about the contradiction.It does say that the women told no one until they reached the disciples.But you are also incorrect because it does confirm that the women did tell Peter.It does not mention it in Mark, but it is confirmed in the other gospels.The angel commanded it in Mark though,chapter 16 verse 7.So we have the command to do so by the angel in Mark 16:7 and the confirmation of this in Matthew 28:8;Luke 24:9.

This is how Peter was able to tell Mark.

It seems the both of you are incorrect.

Thats why it is important to read all the holy writings to get an accurate knowledge of the truth.