• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Restitution Of All Things

FineLinen

Rev. 5:13

Every created thing (παν κτισμα). Every creature in a still wider antiphonal circle beyond the circle of angels (from κτιζω, for which see 1 Timothy 4:4; James 1:18), from all the four great fields of life (in heaven, upon the earth, under the earth as in verse Revelation 5:3, with on the sea επ της θαλασσης added).

No created thing is left out. This universal chorus of praise to Christ from all created life reminds one of the profound mystical passage in Romans 8:20-22 concerning the sympathetic agony of creation (κτισις) in hope of freedom from the bondage of corruption. If the trail of the serpent is on all creation, it will be ultimately thrown off.

Saying (λεγοντας). Masculine (construction according to sense, personifying the created things) if genuine, though some MSS. have λεγοντα (grammatical gender agreeing with παντα) present active participle of λεγω, to say.

And to the Lamb (κα τω αρνιω). Dative case. Praise and worship are rendered to the Lamb precisely as to God on the throne.Note separate articles here in the doxology as in Revelation 4:11 and the addition of το κρατος (active power) in place of ισχυς (reserve of strength) in Revelation 5:12. ~A.T. Robertson

FineLinen

Phil. 2:10 {That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow} (hina en twi onomati iesou pan gonu kampsài). First aorist active subjunctive of kampt", old verb, to bend, to bow, in purpose clause with hina. Not perfunctory genuflections whenever the name of Jesus is mentioned, but universal acknowledgment of the majesty and power of Jesus who carries his human name and nature to heaven. this universal homage to Jesus is seen in #Ro 8:22; Eph 1:20-22 and in particular #Re 5:13. {Under the earth} (katachthoni"n). Homeric adjective for departed souls, subterranean, simply the dead.

Phil, 2:11{Should confess} (exomologàsàtai). First aorist middle subjunctive of exomologeomai with hina for purpose. {Lord} (kurios). Peter (#Ac 2:36) claimed that God made Christ "Lord." See also #1Co 8:6; 12:3; Rom. 10:9. Kennedy mourns that the term Lord has become one of the most lifeless in the Christian vocabulary, whereas it really declares the true character and dignity of Jesus Christ and "is the basis and the object of worship." ~A.T. Robertson

FineLinen

quote-medium-quote-cfff7b4059dcc030112b878fa0fff2a1.jpg

FineLinen

God's Lost & Found

When the Scripture uses a word such as perish or destroy, the original word is apollumi. The koine Greek word apollumi means to lose, or to be lost. It is the same word Jesus used when He said "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel" (Matthew 15:24).

and

"Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep (Luke 15:4-7).

The word, apollumi, is used to describe a sheep which was lost and then was found and restored. And Christ uses this same exact word in the following verse,

"Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, fear the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28-29).

The word translated as "hell" in this verse is actually gehenna, the city dump outside of Jerusalem. The original koine word for destroy here is apollumi which means to lose or be lost. This verse is not speaking of an eternal annihilation of a soul, but of a temporary losing of the soul, just like the lost sheep that was later found. It is the same with all the times you see Jesus speaking of someone perishing, such as in John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. A better translation would be whoever believes in Him should not be lost.

We are all lost until God finds us.

Those who die yet unbelieving will experience further apollumi, or being lost in the Lake of Fire, which is the second death. But God has promised to destroy all death once and for all and grant belief to all at the consummation of the ages.

If apollumi meant destruction according to the traditional definition by those who believe in eternal torment or annihilation, then Jesus is lost forever,

"But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the multitudes that they should ask for Barabbas and destroy (apollumi) Jesus." Matt. 27:20

So then, will you hold to the "traditional" view which makes the word of God of no effect? Or will you have the courage to go against the traditional hell-fire or annihilation view which denigrates the glorious victory Jesus bought through conquering death on the Cross for all mankind?

Those who are lost? or perished, are like the lost sheep.

The lost sheep was perished, but the shepherd sought it out and restored it. We are all like the lost sheep before God finds us. Even now we are. We are all apollumi, or lost and perished as the lost sheep was. We are separated and alienated from God. But the lost sheep did not stay that way. And neither does anyone else. The Good Shepherd does not stop looking until He has found the last one.

FineLinen

"Eternal torments as a doctrine, whether it is true or not, serves as a powerful deterrent against sinning certain, specific sins that we can commit."

NONSENSE 101!

Search = "eternal torment"

There are no concordance results for eternal torment in the KJV.

Search "everlasting punishment" = Matthew 25:46

What the Master declares is the foundation of everlasting punishment (kolasis aionios).

"And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say to them on his right hand, Come, you blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungry, and you gave me meat: I was thirsty, and you gave me drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in: naked, and you clothed me: I was sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came unto me."

FineLinen

smack.gif
The ghastly concept of unending torment by our ABBA simply is NOT Scripture ! ! !

Search = "eternal torment" =

Occurs 0 (ZERO) times in 0 (ZERO) verses in the KJV.
smack.gif

There are no concordance results for "eternal torment" in the KJV.
wink.gif

FineLinen

A Failed Creator? ?

“As far as I am concerned, anyone who hopes for the universal reconciliation of all creatures with God must already believe that this would be the best possible ending to the Christian story; and such a person has then no excuse for imagining that God could bring any but the best possible ending to pass without thereby being in some sense a failed creator.” ~David Bentley Hart

"How could the Bible possibly speak of the perfect victory of God our Creator who loves righteousness and cannot bear evil, if that victory really means that He cannot bring His own creatures at last to hate evil as He hates it, but must confirm multitudes, indeed the majority of them, in their choice of evil for ever and ever?

What sort of victory is it to be able only to subdue evil and prevent it harming any but those who choose it, and to be unable to bring human souls to abominate it and desire to forsake it, so that the evil itself ceases to exist?" ~Hannah Hurnard

Last edited:

FineLinen

God's Lost & Found

When the Scripture uses a word such as perish or destroy, the original word is apollumi. The koine Greek word apollumi means to lose, or to be lost. It is the same word Jesus used when He said "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel" (Matthew 15:24).

"Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep (Luke 15:4-7).

The word, apollumi, is used to describe a sheep which was lost and then was found and restored. Christ uses this same exact word in the following verse,

"Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, fear the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28-29).

The word translated as "hell" in this verse is actually gehenna, the city dump outside of Jerusalem. The original koine word for destroy here is apollumi which means to lose or be lost. This verse is not speaking of an eternal annihilation of a soul, but of a temporary losing of the soul, just like the lost sheep that was later found. It is the same with all the times you see Jesus speaking of someone perishing, such as in John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. A better translation would be whoever believes in Him should not be lost.

We are all lost until God finds us.

Those who die yet unbelieving will experience further apollumi, or being lost in the Lake of Fire, which is the second death. But God has promised to destroy all death once and for all and grant belief to all at the consummation of the ages.

If apollumi meant destruction according to the traditional definition by those who believe in eternal torment or annihilation, then Jesus is lost forever,

"But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the multitudes that they should ask for Barabbas and destroy (apollumi) Jesus." Matt. 27:20

So then, will you hold to the "traditional" view which makes the word of God of no effect? Or will you have the courage to go against the traditional hell-fire or annihilation view which denigrates the glorious victory Jesus bought through conquering death on the Cross for all mankind?

Those who are lost, or perished, are like the lost sheep.

The lost sheep was perished, but the shepherd sought it out and restored it. We are all like the lost sheep before God finds us. Even now we are. We are all apollumi, or lost and perished as the lost sheep was. We are separated and alienated from God. But the lost sheep did not stay that way. And neither does anyone else. The Good Shepherd does not stop looking until He has found the last one.

FineLinen

"A man can receive nothing unless it be given him from heaven."

Given = didōmi =

To bestow/ grant/ extend.

To give.

"The Father loves the Son and has given EVERYTHING over to him."

FineLinen

The judgment of our Father God is good. It brings us into at-one-ment with His mind, heart and ways. The koine for judgment and damnation are in the same realm and ensuing objective.

Damnation = krima =

A decision given.

Sentence of condemnation and punishnent.

A trial/ contest.

Judgment = ktisis =

A decision given.

Sentence of condemnation and punishment.

A trial/ contest.

FineLinen

"Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."

The scope of condemnation = the radical all of pas.
EVEN SO

The identical pas (ALL mankind) unto justification of life.

NOTE:

God's judgments are unto LIFE.

FineLinen

The glorious Gospel exceeds anything we have ever imagined.

"In His love, He chose us as His own in Christ before the creation of the world, that we might be holy and without blemish in His presence. For He pre-destined us to be adopted by Himself as sons through Jesus Christ--such being His gracious will and pleasure--to the praise of the splendour of His grace with which He has enriched us in the beloved One. It is in Him, and through the shedding of His blood, that we have our deliverance--the forgiveness of our offences--so abundant was God's grace, the grace which He, the possessor of all wisdom and understanding, lavished upon us, when He made known to us the secret of His will. And this is in harmony with God's merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it--the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in Heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him. In Him we have been made heirs, having been chosen beforehand in accordance with the intention of Him whose might carries out in everything the design of His own will." ~Weymouth

FineLinen

NONSENSE 101!
smack.gif
smack.gif
smack.gif

Search = "eternal torment" =

There are no concordance results for eternal torment in the KJV.
eek.gif

The tag team of Dumb and Dumber must learn to sing....