• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Republican Candidates for '08

Mercy Not Sacrifice

With much of the attention turned toward the Democratic candidates in the '08 election, I've been curious to see what is going on with our friends on the Right. So about a week or two ago, when MSNBC hosted the Republican candidate debate, I decided to jump in and watch, to see what they were all about.

My thinking has been this: Unfortunately, the American public tends to be very short-sighted in their voting habits. We elect one party in, watch them do things we hate, and replace them with the other party, who do things we hate, and thus the cycle continues. So what I've been secretly hoping for is a moderate Republican president come '08 mixed with a strongly Democratic Congress.

After what I saw that night, there is no way in hell I'd vote for them unless Giuliani is on the ticket with a conservative lite, such as Romney (NOT McCain). Some of their responses--glorifying the idea of overturning Roe-v.-Wade, bashing Bill Clinton (that's Bill, not Hillary), and revoking the capital gains tax--turned me off. I honestly thought I was watching a replay of Reagan's cabinet members or something, with the voodoo economics and everything.

It disappointed me, really. But unless that Giuliani ticket comes up, I'll feel better about pulling the lever for a Democratic White House in '08, including if it's a vote for Hillary.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Republicans need to pull their wallets out of the '80s, for one thing. The acute removal of Bush's name from the first debate tells me conservatives are still unwilling to accept the fact Bush and Reagan are two brands of the same bread: strong military presence, trickle down economics, appeasement towards the Religious Right, shady scandals [The Reagan Administration witnessed the most conviction of WH staffers in history]. Ron Paul was the only breath of fresh air, and he dissapointed me by not being as blunt as Gravel was towards his fellow Democrats. Reagan's policies of aggressive Middle East politics and privatization caused many of the problems we have to deal with now. Bill Clinton's moderate "Third Way" policy didn't help any, either. Luckily the Democrats aren't so quick to call on his past administrations. Perhaps the party is still devoted to progressive thought?

And what's up with three presidential candidates not believing in evolution? Give me a break.

I'm watching Obama and Richardson to see where they stand on the issues I care most about [foreign policy, environmentalism, education, and GLBT rights], but unless Gravel or Kucinich wins the nomination, chances are I'll be voting Green/Nader. The only Republicans I'd consider voting for are Ron Paul and Lincoln Chafee [not running].

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Republicans need to pull their wallets out of the '80s, for one thing. The acute removal of Bush's name from the first debate tells me conservatives are still unwilling to accept the fact Bush and Reagan are two brands of the same bread: strong military presence, trickle down economics, appeasement towards the Religious Right, shady scandals [The Reagan Administration witnessed the most conviction of WH staffers in history]. Ron Paul was the only breath of fresh air, and he dissapointed me by not being as blunt as Gravel was towards his fellow Democrats. Reagan's policies of aggressive Middle East politics and privatization caused many of the problems we have to deal with now. Bill Clinton's moderate "Third Way" policy didn't help any, either. Luckily the Democrats aren't so quick to call on his past administrations. Perhaps the party is still devoted to progressive thought?

Maybe. It's been a breath of fresh air to see this Congress taking on the president from Day One, eh? Lord knows we've needed some fresh air....

And what's up with three presidential candidates not believing in evolution? Give me a break.

Like you said, they lack the courage to stand up to the Religious Right.

I'm watching Obama and Richardson to see where they stand on the issues I care most about [foreign policy, environmentalism, education, and GLBT rights], but unless Gravel or Kucinich wins the nomination, chances are I'll be voting Green/Nader. The only Republicans I'd consider voting for are Ron Paul and Lincoln Chafee [not running].

Heh. Personally, I'd love to see a Richardson-Obama ticket. They're the kind of people we need right now, IMO. I might consider the Green Party myself, but they need to improve their million-to-one odds if they want to capture my vote. ;)