• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'religious' non-religious.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In your faith, in your congregation, how many people do you think show up for some other reason than belief? I mean because there is a free lunch, the people are really nice, it's friendly, it's warm, my friends go there, my spouse appreciates it, it's a good place to hook up ... and more. Any reason besides belief.

At the Hindu temple I go to, it may well be as high as 50%. There is such an overlap with culture, with language, with friendliness. A lot of folks wouldn't know much at all about belief, other that they know they like it there.

I think that a ton of lonely people who aren't really into the bar scene, or dating, would find friendship in a church. So evangelical type churches may get some like that. We had one young western chap coming to the Hindu temple for about 5 years, for that reason. People talked to him, he got some attention, and most of all, because he was a bit 'off' we didn't pick on him. But then he moved on to a gurdwara.

It's certainly difficult to tell. Nobody is likely to stand up and say, 'Hey everyone, i don't believe in this stuff," So just guess.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I suspect those who go to places of worship and similar for social reasons is far higher than most people think.

I can see why given there's that sense of fraternity, obviously mingling with others, organizational activities picnics Etc.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
In your faith, in your congregation, how many people do you think show up for some other reason than belief? I mean because there is a free lunch, the people are really nice, it's friendly, it's warm, my friends go there, my spouse appreciates it, it's a good place to hook up ... and more. Any reason besides belief.

At the Hindu temple I go to, it may well be as high as 50%. There is such an overlap with culture, with language, with friendliness. A lot of folks wouldn't know much at all about belief, other that they know they like it there.

Is this a new insight for you, or are you seeing it in a new way? Does it open up any new possibilities for you?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I think that a ton of lonely people who aren't really into the bar scene, or dating, would find friendship in a church. So evangelical type churches may get some like that. We had one young western chap coming to the Hindu temple for about 5 years, for that reason. People talked to him, he got some attention, and most of all, because he was a bit 'off' we didn't pick on him. But then he moved on to a gurdwara.

It's certainly difficult to tell. Nobody is likely to stand up and say, 'Hey everyone, i don't believe in this stuff," So just guess.

After years of thinking everyone should be on the same page in a house of worship, when I practice Catholicism, that just wasn't the case. People come with jesus (sacraments) and god as a common denominator. But pass that...

Sense of community, confirmation of faith, Bible study, retreats, one to one talk with the priests on off confession hours. A sense of peace to worship as a unit and alone without being disturbed that you aren't praying the right way. I notice not everyone believes in purgatory and not all people pray hail mary. I think the diversity under a common theme is attractive.

As for the temple I went to, it was just, what, five of us or so. but during the big holidays there are a lot. I wouldn't know their reasons since I don't speak Thai, Vietnamese, nor japanese. But they do have more humility and less "we are the central religion" feel.

It just depends, really.

Earthling

David Henson
I've always suspected that most people attend gatherings of organized religion for social, cultural and traditional reasons more than anything. Especially cultural and traditional.

lukethethird

unknown member

A free lunch, seriously? Where is this temple? I need an address.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is this a new insight for you, or are you seeing it in a new way? Does it open up any new possibilities for you?
Just curiousity. It came about from looking at religious demographics. I think perhaps all those charts are a bit misleading. The 'religious' non-religious would be better classified as agnostic or nones. So I think the planet may well be far less religious than is generally portrayed by folks like Pew Research.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A free lunch, seriously? Where is this temple? I need an address.

Larger gurdwaras have free lunch every day of the year. Many larger Hindu temples have free lunch every Sunday, although some have low cost canteens, and charge nominally. It is never actually free of course, as generally a family or two sponsors it out of a sense of giving.

In India, the larger pilgrimage center temples feed pilgrims every day. Tiruchendur, in TN, for example feeds 4000 people daily.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
During the Amarnath and Kawar pilgrimages, one does not have to worry about food. Kawar pilgrimage continues for one month, millions of people join it. It requires one to travel on foot for hundreds of miles to Haridwar and Sultanpur (both on the banks of River Ganges), collect water from their in their pitchers, and go to pour the water in their local Śiva shrines, or specific temples such as Pura Mahadeva and Augharnath temple in Meerut, and Kashi Vishwanath, Baidyanath, and Deoghar in Jharkhand (whatever the person undertakes).

The pilgrim cannot lie down to take rest, he/she cannot trvel by any means other than walking and the pitchers cannot be placed on ground (though they can be kept hanging by something). Some people will complete the journey by prostrating themselves at each body distance. The first kawar yatra is supposed to have been taken by the demon-king Ravana, when he wanted to take Shiva from Mount Kailas to Sri Lanka (as the story goes). He could not complete the journey because of the cunning of Gods since they did not want Shiva to settle down in Sri Lanka.

So, we were talking about free lunches. During these pilgrimages, people establish stalls at regular intervals and the choices food is offered and insisted upon for the pilgrims irrespective of their castes.
Kanwar Yatra - Google Search:

9841650413_d98d8c0900_b.jpg

Ravana trying to carry Shiva and Parvati to Sri Lanka.

Last edited:

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Larger gurdwaras have free lunch every day of the year. Many larger Hindu temples have free lunch every Sunday, although some have low cost canteens, and charge nominally. It is never actually free of course, as generally a family or two sponsors it out of a sense of giving.
I noticed that when we were invited to stay at one of their free guest houses near the Golden Temple. The food was even vegetarian and free of onions if I remember well.
They were very hospitable, even allowing us to help carry their holy book to bed in the evening.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
50% of "circunstantials" may be high for a Hindu temple, but I suspect that it is not unusual for Christian and Muslim temples to have much higher numbers, at least during rites where family and friends are expected to attend out of solidarity and steem more than belief proper (funerals, marriages and baptisms).

I stand unconvinced that the percentages of believers as such should be kept high, though. Attendance is a legitimate concern. Belief proper IMO is not.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Just curiousity. It came about from looking at religious demographics. I think perhaps all those charts are a bit misleading. The 'religious' non-religious would be better classified as agnostic or nones. So I think the planet may well be far less religious than is generally portrayed by folks like Pew Research.

What does "religious" mean, though? I find limitations in PEW's studies as well, and those limitations mostly hinge on how poorly defined "religious" is. I'd come to the opposite conclusion - we'd be hard-pressed to find a person who is not religious... but we'd often find that a person's religiousness is desynchronized with what they call their religion (in part because how "religion" and "religious" is understood in my culture are kind of messed up).

I mean, technically, no religious service I've attended recently has been a matter of belief. The religions I identify with are not faith-based, though, so it's not about belief anyway. Or at least it's not about belief in the sense that Protestant Christianity drills on about.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What does "religious" mean, though? I find limitations in PEW's studies as well, and those limitations mostly hinge on how poorly defined "religious" is. I'd come to the opposite conclusion - we'd be hard-pressed to find a person who is not religious... but we'd often find that a person's religiousness is desynchronized with what they call their religion (in part because how "religion" and "religious" is understood in my culture are kind of messed up).

I mean, technically, no religious service I've attended recently has been a matter of belief. The religions I identify with are not faith-based, though, so it's not about belief anyway. Or at least it's not about belief in the sense that Protestant Christianity drills on about.

Good points, as usual. 'Religious' is poorly defined, and that definition varies widely by religion. In the OP, I was thinking more just about belief. Lots of folks I know go to services that are practically contradictory to their own beliefs if you were to have a discussion with them. All too often I think religiosity is defined by attendance at services, whereas I wouldn't see it that way at all.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I see that is all part of belief. Fellowship is part of a Faith. Community is part of Faith.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see that is all part of belief. Fellowship is part of a Faith. Community is part of Faith.

Regards Tony
I don't. It seems to me that if a Christian, for example, at church, was asked, 'Do you believe in Jesus?" that it would follow that he would say, "yes,". even if that was a confidential question answer.

But if what you say is true, and it very well might be, it may well be that people attending communal gatherings have nobody there believing in it. In that case it is just a social group and nothing else. Certainly there is a place for it though. People do need people, some a lot more than others. Just as there are morning people, and night people, there are people people, and those who are fine to be alone. I'm personally of the second variety.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't. It seems to me that if a Christian, for example, at church, was asked, 'Do you believe in Jesus?" that it would follow that he would say, "yes,". even if that was a confidential question answer.

But if what you say is true, and it very well might be, it may well be that people attending communal gatherings have nobody there believing in it. In that case it is just a social group and nothing else. Certainly there is a place for it though. People do need people, some a lot more than others. Just as there are morning people, and night people, there are people people, and those who are fine to be alone. I'm personally of the second variety.

I am fine with what anybody chooses to be, I can only change myself.

In the end could it be the Elephant and the blind men?

All parts of the elephant are good, even if you only choose to see one part.

Regards Tony

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Desire for company stunts religious advance. The churches won't say that, obviously, so the religion becomes warped into something else, or, no religion at all.

You don't get both. You have to choose.
Facts with disciple.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Desire for company stunts religious advance. The churches won't say that, obviously, so the religion becomes warped into something else, or, no religion at all.

You don't get both. You have to choose.
Facts with disciple.
Are you suggesting something like the separation of church and state, except it being church, and social activities?

Last edited: