• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Relation between Shiasm and Sufism

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
I regularly hear assertions of strong connections between Shiism and Sufism.
i am not an expert into sufism, however over the years I heard things like these:

- Sufism is generally based on the teachings of Shia imams...

-Shia twelve imams are highly honored by Sufis.

- Some Sufis were originally Shiites who has hidden their faith during some brutal extremist ruling governments who used to persecute Shiites.

- Sufis generally hold Shia beliefs and practice Sunni rituals.

Could any Sufi comment on these ideas?

Yusz

Exorcist and Mystical
I regularly hear assertions of strong connections between Shiism and Sufism.
i am not an expert into sufism, however over the years I heard things like these:

- Sufism is generally based on the teachings of Shia imams...

-Shia twelve imams are highly honored by Sufis.

- Some Sufis were originally Shiites who has hidden their faith during some brutal extremist ruling governments who used to persecute Shiites.

- Sufis generally hold Shia beliefs and practice Sunni rituals.

Could any Sufi comment on these ideas?

Salam Brother, it's 2011 question but I can answer your question...

Yes, there is connection between Shia and sufis but sufis also have a connection with Sunni. It depend, where are you started.. Sufi actually is a high level of Islam practice.

There is 4 spiritual stage in Islam:

1.Sharia (zahir) 2.Tariqa (Batin) 3.Haqiqa (knowledge of self) 4.Marifa (knowledge of God)

Shia and sunni its consider at Sharia level and if you study and practice more deep in spiritual then you get to Tariqa level and it's basic of Sufism teaching. The advanced level of Sufism it's at Haqiqa level. Whether you Shia or Sunni, if you reach at higher spirituality then you get to Sufi level. But most of Sufis now is coming from Shia teaching.

I'll give you the very basic video for easy explaination.

1. [youtube]U2GVXn4SkOI[/youtube]
What is Sufism Tasawwuf ? [English] Shaykh-ul-Islam Dr.Tahir-ul-Qadri 1/3 - YouTube

2. [youtube]WSczwFH0TWQ[/youtube]
What is Sufism Tasawwuf ? [English] Shaykh-ul-Islam Dr.Tahir-ul-Qadri 2/3 - YouTube

3. [youtube]zGED6LC-DgI[/youtube]
What is Sufism Tasawwuf ? [English] Shaykh-ul-Islam Dr.Tahir-ul-Qadri 3/3 - YouTube

Thanks For asking.

Last edited:

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Salam Brother, it's 2011 question but I can answer your question...

Yes, there is connection between Shia and sufis but sufis also have a connection with Sunni. It depend, where are you started.. Sufi actually is a high level of Islam practice.

There is 4 spiritual stage in Islam:

1.Sharia (zahir) 2.Tariqa (Batin) 3.Haqiqa (knowledge of self) 4.Marifa (knowledge of God)

Shia and sunni its consider at Sharia level and if you study and practice more deep in spiritual then you get to Tariqa level and it's basic of Sufism teaching. The advanced level of Sufism it's at Haqiqa level. Whether you Shia or Sunni, if you reach at higher spirituality then you get to Sufi level. But most of Sufis now is coming from Shia teaching.

I'll give you the very basic video for easy explaination.

Thanks For asking.
Thanks for this informative reply :)

Matemkar

As far as I know sufi path is based on spirituality (batin) which has the sources from Ahlulbayt.. But, in the end they attain the spirituality through the visuals (zahir).. and in the visuals and practices they either follow sunni or shia madhabs.. the shia Jaffari ones stressing more on spirituality are called; arifaan; (the ones practising irfaan or Marifa as brother yusz mentioned being the last stage.. which is a branch of shia islam).. about the sunni ones (Tasawwuf), they also believe in 12 imams as described by shia islam.. so, in the end, they are shia arifaan in belief but regarding madhabs tasawwuf follow sunni interpretations..

and you can study Irfaan, the fourh stage of sufi faith as brother yusz mentioned with the books like:

"Light Within Me" by Ayatullah Mutahhari, Allamah Tabataba'i, Imam Khomeini
"Spiritual Discourses" by Ayatullah Murtaza Mutahhari
"Elixir of Love" by Muhammad Rayshahri
Lubb al-Lubab (The Kernels of Kernels) - Short Treatise on Wayfaring by S. M. Husayn Husayni Tehrani (qs)
Forty Hadith: An Exposition by Imam Khomeini
The Greater Jihad by Imam Khomeini,
"Lantern of the Path" by Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (a),
Spiritual Journey of the Mystics (Suluk al-Arifan) by Haj Javad Maliki Tabrizi
The Wine of Love : Mystical Poetry of Imam Khomeini (if you read this, please don't take the terms in his poetry as zahir/literally..)
Perfect Man by Ayatullah Murtada Mutahhari
Inner Secrets Of The Path by Sayyid Haydar Amuli
An Introduction to 'Irfan by Martyr Murtada Mutahhari
Risaleh ye Sayr wa Suluk: A Treatise on Wayfaring by Bahr al Ulum (qs)
Adab al-Suluk: A Treatise on Spiritual Wayfaring by Shaykh Najm al-Din Kubra
Islamic Gnosis ('Irfan) and Wisdom (Hikmat) by Muhammad Taqi Misbah Yazdi
Self Building An Islamic guide for Spiritual Migration towards God by Ayatullah Ibrahim Amini
Sahife Sajjadiya by Imam Sajjad
Soaring to the Only Beloved by abu Muhammad Zaynul 'Abidin

I read some of them.. especially the ones by Imam Sajjad, Imam Khomeini, Murtaza Mutahhari and Tabatabai (Tehrani).. They really are amazing..

Thanks.. and thanks for the videos, yusz.. Ma salam

Yusz

Exorcist and Mystical
As far as I know sufi path is based on spirituality (batin) which has the sources from Ahlulbayt.. But, in the end they attain the spirituality through the visuals (zahir).. and in the visuals and practices they either follow sunni or shia madhabs.. the shia Jaffari ones stressing more on spirituality are called; arifaan; (the ones practising irfaan or Marifa as brother yusz mentioned being the last stage.. which is a branch of shia islam).. about the sunni ones (Tasawwuf), they also believe in 12 imams as described by shia islam.. so, in the end, they are shia arifaan in belief but regarding madhabs tasawwuf follow sunni interpretations..

and you can study Irfaan, the fourh stage of sufi faith as brother yusz mentioned with the books like:

"Light Within Me" by Ayatullah Mutahhari, Allamah Tabataba'i, Imam Khomeini
"Spiritual Discourses" by Ayatullah Murtaza Mutahhari
"Elixir of Love" by Muhammad Rayshahri
Lubb al-Lubab (The Kernels of Kernels) - Short Treatise on Wayfaring by S. M. Husayn Husayni Tehrani (qs)
Forty Hadith: An Exposition by Imam Khomeini
The Greater Jihad by Imam Khomeini,
"Lantern of the Path" by Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (a),
Spiritual Journey of the Mystics (Suluk al-Arifan) by Haj Javad Maliki Tabrizi
The Wine of Love : Mystical Poetry of Imam Khomeini (if you read this, please don't take the terms in his poetry as zahir/literally..)
Perfect Man by Ayatullah Murtada Mutahhari
Inner Secrets Of The Path by Sayyid Haydar Amuli
An Introduction to 'Irfan by Martyr Murtada Mutahhari
Risaleh ye Sayr wa Suluk: A Treatise on Wayfaring by Bahr al Ulum (qs)
Adab al-Suluk: A Treatise on Spiritual Wayfaring by Shaykh Najm al-Din Kubra
Islamic Gnosis ('Irfan) and Wisdom (Hikmat) by Muhammad Taqi Misbah Yazdi
Self Building An Islamic guide for Spiritual Migration towards God by Ayatullah Ibrahim Amini
Sahife Sajjadiya by Imam Sajjad
Soaring to the Only Beloved by abu Muhammad Zaynul 'Abidin

I read some of them.. especially the ones by Imam Sajjad, Imam Khomeini, Murtaza Mutahhari and Tabatabai (Tehrani).. They really are amazing..

Thanks.. and thanks for the videos, yusz.. Ma salam

That's a good reference, all shows a basics of marifa... still, we need a teacher to guide and teach us because Marifa is more to practical practice...

And Imam Khomeini is one of Marifa expert, great respect to him :)