• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Reformers Biggest Mistake

MatthewA

Hello you and welcome.

"I think that Bible is one of the greatest gifts to humanity when it is in the right hands. I also think it can be the greatest curse, if it is in the wrong hands."

This video is 12 minutes long.
The Reformers Biggest Mistake and Christianity's Need to Change it

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Hello you and welcome.

"I think that Bible is one of the greatest gifts to humanity when it is in the right hands. I also think it can be the greatest curse, if it is in the wrong hands."

What points are made in this video?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The man has a point. I wish to hear this from the evangelicals. I resent that its coming from LDS and not my home team.

MatthewA

The point of the video is how the bible laying on the table by itself is not good or evil.

If a bible is picked up by someone depending on how they are teaching can be good or be used to harm others in their faith like that of a sword.

The bible is described as ; the word of God is sharper than any two-edged sword.

People can idolize the bible and make it the authority and use it as a sword and hurt others with it, if not used properly which is by and through the spirit which God gives, while trying to promote and encourage love. hope, and faith, rather than any type of doctrine (knowledge) that shows contempt, judgment, and condemnation towards others.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The point of the video is how the bible laying on the table by itself is not good or evil.

If a bible is picked up by someone depending on how they are teaching can be good or be used to harm others in their faith like that of a sword.

The bible is described as ; the word of God is sharper than any two-edged sword.

People can idolize the bible and make it the authority and use it as a sword and hurt others with it, if not used properly which is by and through the spirit which God gives, while trying to promote and encourage love. hope, and faith, rather than any type of doctrine (knowledge) that shows contempt, judgment, and condemnation towards others.
Thanks for the explanation. There is certainly something in that. Far too often one comes across people quoting isolated phrases from the bible, quite out of context, to support all sorts of views, sometimes with no relation to the spirit of the gospels.

John1.12

Free gift
Hello you and welcome.

The reformation actually brought with it the issue of departing from the scriptures and onto systematic theology, giving up sense making to so called ' giants of the faith ' , a promotion of many false doctrines from Augustine , the errors of the so called ' great awakening ' , John Calvin furthering Augustines false teachings, which Remain today . The reformation created more issues than it tried to resolve. Meanwhile the bible remained true and trustworthy .

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The man has a point. I wish to hear this from the evangelicals. I resent that its coming from LDS and not my home team.
Well, I kinda thought that myself actually.....LDS beliefs are so non-biblical IMO, that a man covered in tattoos with long hair (both condemned in the scriptures) is not going to tell me anything about a book that he does not see as the unique word of God.

Jesus used the “sword” to ‘cut through’ the teachings of the Pharisees.....and with no apology. He roundly condemned them as a body because they were not upholding the teachings of Moses in a right way.....they had distorted many things by adding their own definitions and interpretations of God’s word. Jesus came and told the truth...unashamedly exposing the lies.

How will people make informed decisions if they cannot examine all aspects of the faith? Jesus said that “the truth would set us free” so let’s hear it! We will respond to what resonates with us...but we need to hear it from all sides before we make a decision....even from this guy.

No one has anything to fear from the truth....the “sword” cuts where it strikes....at the conscience. It divides people as it is designed to do....as Jesus said....
34 Do not think I came to bring peace to the earth; I came to bring, not peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.” (Matthew 10:34-36)

This is how far the divisions can go....the sword was a divider of hearts which are the soils for the seeds of truth to be implanted.....only the fine soil will germinate and nurture that seed.

MatthewA

I believe it is still the point of

Using the Bible as a weapon to condemn, judge, using it for harm, such as making demands and using the Bible to have control over other human beings lives which can be a very dangerous position to be in.

I believe that is dangerous. Consider all the cults that have come up in a American culture that used the Bible. And someone is using the Bible for their own gain rather than for the information to be used to actually inform others of what the subjects mean, and how to understand them, and what is the truth about what ever subject might be talked or spoken about.

People can try to use the Bible to justify anything using it, so to me the Bible is only reliable as the person who is reading and how they are applying it and actually understanding it by and through the - Spirit.

Some can use the Bible without the spirit and try to justify whatever they can holding the Bible in the position of authority so they have control over others rather than allowing God to be authority over all mankind.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I kinda thought that myself actually.....LDS beliefs are so non-biblical IMO, that a man covered in tattoos with long hair (both condemned in the scriptures) is not going to tell me anything about a book that he does not see as the unique word of God.

Jesus used the “sword” to ‘cut through’ the teachings of the Pharisees.....and with no apology. He roundly condemned them as a body because they were not upholding the teachings of Moses in a right way.....they had distorted many things by adding their own definitions and interpretations of God’s word. Jesus came and told the truth...unashamedly exposing the lies.

How will people make informed decisions if they cannot examine all aspects of the faith? Jesus said that “the truth would set us free” so let’s hear it! We will respond to what resonates with us...but we need to hear it from all sides before we make a decision....even from this guy.

No one has anything to fear from the truth....the “sword” cuts where it strikes....at the conscience. It divides people as it is designed to do....as Jesus said....
34 Do not think I came to bring peace to the earth; I came to bring, not peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.” (Matthew 10:34-36)

This is how far the divisions can go....the sword was a divider of hearts which are the soils for the seeds of truth to be implanted.....only the fine soil will germinate and nurture that seed.
It isn't the pharisees only. In the gospels is the idea that Jesus will be spoken against, and this will reveal what people think and further that when he is justified this will turn hearts, as people realize they have misjudged him. Even his own mother will be cut by the sword, which is to say she will have to choose, too. She will discover that she has misjudged her son.
[Luk 2:34-35 NIV] 34 Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: "This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, 35 so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too."​
At the same time Jesus has one of his twelve apostles carry a sword, but this is not the same as the sword. The physical sword is part of the sign that will be spoken against, as Jesus imitates Israel's part of being numbered with the transgressors (Isaiah 53:12) Being numbered with the transgressors is the job of any martyr including Christian martyrs. To stand up for something and to be accused of being evil, that is the martyr's job and the means of bearing sins of others. 1Peter talks about we can bear the sins of others by doing so. It expands upon the words from Isaiah 53.

The division begins when Jesus is numbered as a transgressor, not merely by carrying a sword but also by being accused of evil. This happens on levels. He's accused by the priests. He's accused of being a human also, and therefore worthy of Adam's death. He also has the sword which is merely a prophet symbol. He is thought evil and is killed but then is proven justified by his resurrection -- or perhaps on some level by people realizing he did no wrong. God answers his prayer, saving him from death, proving he is an innocent. This is the model of how other martyrs also function. They hold up under steady fire, and when people realize the martyr isn't evil but is doing good that changes hearts, sometimes after the martyr is dead. People believe. So the 'Sword' isn't killing though it is revealing. It is for benefit and not harm. Some do not repent, and some don't ever realize that the martyr is innocent.

[1Pe 1:7 NIV] 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
[1Pe 2:12 NIV] 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.
[1Pe 3:13-14, 17-18 NIV] 13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened." ... 17 For it is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.
[1Pe 4:12,16 NIV] 12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. ... 16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.​

This I think is the sword that divides. It is analogous to Solomon's sword challenge where he pretends he'll half the baby. Instead he reveals the hearts. The sword separates, reveals, exposes; but there must be martyrs for this to happen. You must become a martyr, then people realize you aren't merely pretending, and in this you can bear their sins.

MatthewA

Eye for Eye
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.

Jesus Christ speaking to his disciples on the mount of olives; taught to them which was heard about around in their time, of around 30-33ad. He was telling the disciples a quote they had heard going around at the time of their living culture about how it spoke If someone does you wrong you do wrong to them, even if it is involving fighting.

He then goes on to speak about to not resist evil person

( if they desire something from you (Evil person; someone who might just have heart problems with greed, hate, anger, lust, whatever type of problem they are facing as Christians should not be resist and be understanding and discerning the actions of others in response with kindness, and compassion, and allow free thought. )

IF any abusive things are going on those should be addressed, especially if it is abusive of family members, or others, or children, because abuse is not good and should be addressed and found a solution so that the abuse stops and freedom can continue.

He goes on then after saying If someone slaps you on the right cheek, turn the to them other cheek also; to me personally I believe that this has to deal with for and example if someone is lying about you doing something, and instead of seeking retribution you just do not care and basically let it go give thanks to God and pray for them.

Then He goes on to talk about people who may try to take you to court and try to get you for everything; to try and settle disputes quickly before they come to far out of hand, and a jumbled comes because of it.