• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The referendum is In

Akivah

The Democratic party made the claim that the recent Georgia election for the 6th congressional district would be a referendum on Trump. Now that the Democrat candidate has lost, will Democrats concede the referendum (election) supports President Trump?

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The Democratic party made the claim that the recent George election for the 6th congressional district would be a referendum on Trump. Now that the Democrat candidate has lost, will Democrats concede the referendum (election) supports President Trump?
Not a fricken chance, bub. They so won! They got so many votes that they almost were elected and in a really, really red state no less!
Me? I love the smell of victory in the morning. It smells like... the coming Republican apocalypse with Dementia Nancy leading the charge. Roar!!! o_O

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The Democratic party made the claim that the recent George election for the 6th congressional district would be a referendum on Trump. Now that the Democrat candidate has lost, will Democrats concede the referendum (election) supports President Trump?
I think it's definitely evidence that Trump, and by extension, Republicans, are not as unpopular with their base as we had hoped.

It is evidence that we cannot be complacent, and run merely on "Holy crap Trump's a dumpster fire vote for us because we don't smell as bad!" We need to have a clear plan forward that includes white, working class America. We cannot only vilify and blame. We need to include and build.

We will see if the democrat elite get this message and turn the ship around in time. I'm not super hopeful that will happen to the extent it needs to, though.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Not a fricken chance, bub. They so won! They got so many votes that they almost were elected and in a really, really red state no less!
Me? I love the smell of victory in the morning. It smells like... the coming Republican apocalypse with Dementia Nancy leading the charge. Roar!!! o_O
Yeah, I say run her for POTUS 2020.

images

Nous

Premium Member
In Newsweek, Matthew Cooper informs us that: Karen Handel’s victory includes a silver lining for Democrats

While Karen Handel’s election to Congress on Tuesday night cheered Republicans, Democrats should be encouraged by their performance in the Georgia special election and in their performance in the other four House contests this year, according to a new analysis.

In the Cook Political Report, House elections expert David Wasserman has examined the Democrats’ performances in the Georgia race and other House contests and sees some very encouraging signs. First off, he notes that Democrat Archie Parnell, a little-known tax expert, fell just 3 percentage points short in Tuesday night’s special congressional election in South Carolina to replace Mick Mulvaney, now Trump’s director of the Office of Management and Budget. Donald Trump won that district by 18 points and it was not expected to be close.

Overall, Wasserman found, Democrats outperformed the voting tendencies of their districts by 8 percentage points in this year’s special elections, a good omen for 2018 even if they did not win a single one of the open seats.​

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
"All politics is local", so only some of the vote likely was in response to Trump one way or another.

Matter of fact, I felt all along that all too many of the Dems, or is it the Dumbs, were making a mistake by trying too hard to make the election as some sort of national referendum, and that includes bringing in lotsa money from other states, neither of which goes over well in the South.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think it's definitely evidence that Trump, and by extension, Republicans, are not as unpopular with their base as we had hoped.

It is evidence that we cannot be complacent, and run merely on "Holy crap Trump's a dumpster fire vote for us because we don't smell as bad!" We need to have a clear plan forward that includes white, working class America. We cannot only vilify and blame. We need to include and build.

We will see if the democrat elite get this message and turn the ship around in time. I'm not super hopeful that will happen to the extent it needs to, though.

Well, trump did say that he could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and not lose supporters. It doesn't matter how corrupt or incompetent he is as long as he represents their ideals and sentiments.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Think of it this way. If you're a football team playing against your rival that always wins by 20+ points and this game you almost tied them.....you've become a stronger team. You don't have to win the election to notice strength and improvements.

Trumps approval ratings tell the whole story.

esmith

Veteran Member
Think of it this way. If you're a football team playing against your rival that always wins by 20+ points and this game you almost tied them.....you've become a stronger team. You don't have to win the election to notice strength and improvements.

Trumps approval ratings tell the whole story.
but in your world the losing team (the one that didn't get the highest score) gets a participation trophy.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Face it, Democrats can't spend that much money in every election so they have not shown they will win anything next year.

tytlyf

Not Religious
but in your world the losing team (the one that didn't get the highest score) gets a participation trophy.
That's more GOP talking points. Propaganda.

You've been propagandized to think a participation trophy = common core

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
something tells me you might have gotten cornfused about my comment. Oh well, no-big-thing
I know what you're referring to. Where do you think the origination of that phrase came from? That's a technique called saturation. Similar to 'snowflake' and "SJW", etc.

Underhill

The Democratic party made the claim that the recent Georgia election for the 6th congressional district would be a referendum on Trump. Now that the Democrat candidate has lost, will Democrats concede the referendum (election) supports President Trump?

Yes, because the democrats picking up between 16 and 18% in a highly republican district is obviously a sign that Trump is loved and respected in the region.

Underhill

I think that much is true, the right has a base which would watch Trump murder a baby and wave it off as left wing propaganda.

But it isn't exactly good news for Republicans. Even if democrats can't pull off a 16% improvement in every district, even half that much would mean a shift in leadership.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
All the rationalizations, predictions, absolutism, and hyperbolic responses indicate that both sides are clearly insecure about their position and future prospects. As they should be. Of course, without any chances of the system changing anytime soon, we're still stuck with one of two sides of a razor-thin coin.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
When did North American politics stop being about competing views for the betterment of society and became about a dualistic struggle between devolving ideologies?

And how come Republican discourse keeps disappointing me along decades despite decades of watching it degenerate into barely human ramblings and base accusations with no regard for reality, honor or dignity?

It was bad enough when Oliver North escaped prison. It has only gotten worse since.

Akivah

Yes, because the democrats picking up between 16 and 18% in a highly republican district is obviously a sign that Trump is loved and respected in the region.
Despite Democratic claims of all of America despising President Trump, the Republican won this election. An election that the Democrats said would be a referendum on Trump. So are the Dems able to recognize that they are currently wrong?

tytlyf

Not Religious
Despite Democratic claims of all of America despising President Trump, the Republican won this election. An election that the Democrats said would be a referendum on Trump. So are the Dems able to recognize that they are currently wrong?
You don't have to win the election to notice improvements. Trump has some of the worst approval ratings for any president. The majority of America doesn't like him.