• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The reason why Christianity is so popular.

J-Train

Because of this thing called the crusades where christians went around killing hundreds of thousands of people in the name of "god".
Agree or Disagree?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I totally disagree. Most people don't need crusades or fear to worship their God (No matter what the faith). As far as I know, there are many other religions that never had any crusades and still have millions of followers.

J-Train

I totally disagree. Most people don't need crusades or fear to worship their God (No matter what the faith). As far as I know, there are many other religions that never had any crusades and still have millions of followers.

Im not talking about other religions im talking about christianity and yes the crusades were real and yes many people were killed.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Im not talking about other religions im talking about christianity and yes the crusades were real and yes many people were killed.

I know they were real but they are not the reason that people become Christians-certainly back then many followed the faith out of fear of being tortured and killed but certainly not now.

J-Train

I know they were real but they are not the reason that people become Christians-certainly back then many followed the faith out of fear of being tortured and killed but certainly not now.

Yet again you miss my point.
The crusades were a boost for the religion and made it wide spread because they were taking over countries and forcing the religion onto them.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yet again you miss my point.
The crusades were a boost for the religion and made it wide spread because they were taking over countries and forcing the religion onto them.

I know what your are saying, but there were a lot Jesus followers even before the Crusades.

Off-topic- The Crusades were a shame to my faith- they certainly weren't from the teachings of Jesus.

J-Train

Off-topic- The Crusades were a shame to my faith- they certainly weren't from the teachings of Jesus.

What do you mean? god loves to kill people he did it all the time he even wiped out practically all life on earth.
Not to mention he watched his son tortured and murdered. Im pretty sure he like it.

blackout

Violet.

People gravitate towards what is mainstream.
Christianity (today) is mainstream.
What is not mainstream... ie unknown...
registers as "suspect' in the majority mind-set.

and Who wants to walk around "suspect" of the majority mindset
that surrounds everything they do in their public life?

My comments are an observation of present day mainstream christianity.

It's an accepted 'norm' of our culture and society.
People like that.
Good people go to church. Ya know?

Oh right...
but not the first 'Church of Satan'. ;)
What?! There IS no 'Church of Satan' on your hometown mainstreet?

Who are the ones persecuted into hiding.

something is amisssssss....

Last edited:

Jordan St. Francis

1. This does not account for how it became mainstream

2. The Crusades (by and large a failure) is a foolish suggestion for accounting it's success.

Of course there were political reasons for its success. Though, in short, I would say it gave a satisfactory answer for the questions the ancient world was asking.

J-Train

Christianity (today) is mainstream.
What is not mainstream... ie unknown...
registers as "suspect' in the majority mind-set.

Exactly.
Insecure people need to find something to be their "security blanket" and with christianity in the mainstream people just assume they need to go to church and they are just pulled into the lifestyle if they are gullible enough to believe the lies told to them.

Elessar

Crusades did not spread Christianity at all - all lands taken for "Christendom" in the Crusades reverted to Islamic control within a century. There were no lasting effects in the lands the Crusades attacked. Now, there were significant, lasting modernizing effects in Christendom, but not in the Ummah.

Ciarin

Pass the mead!
Most people are christians because their family is christian. Most families are christian because society is mostly christian. Some societies are mostly christian because they are in or have descended from monarchist governments that declared a form of christianity to be the state religion(be it roman catholic, protestant, etc). Many state conversions occurred before the middle ages and were done by first converting the ruler and noblemen of the pagan country. If those pagan rulers were not willing to convert, their country was attacked and conquered(thanks Charlemagne!). Last country to hold old out: Iceland; they didn't convert till appr 1000 CE. Europe's first real taste of christianity came from the Romans. Romans became christian after their ruler(Constantine) declared it to be the state religion, and as the Romans had conquered much of the known world they also spread their religion. Before the Romans were officially converted to christianity, most people were not Christian and it likely would've been left to obscurity as some weird sect of Judaism.

Crusaders didn't do much really. They just tried to reconquer old land(and they weren't very good at it).

cardero

Citizen Mod
I am going to say it is because they serve refreshments during their services.

Smoke

Done here.
What makes you think Christianity is popular? Christianity is fiercely persecuted in the United States, or so Christians keep telling me. ;)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What do you mean? god loves to kill people he did it all the time he even wiped out practically all life on earth.
Not to mention he watched his son tortured and murdered. Im pretty sure he like it.

And some people are very, very good and picking out of the Bible (or anywhere else, for that matter) some "evil" they perceive and ignore anything good. Some people look at a rose bush and only see thorns.

Ozzie

Because of this thing called the crusades where christians went around killing hundreds of thousands of people in the name of "god".
Agree or Disagree?
The Crusades are not popular per se, rather they are viewed as a mistake. Christianity is popular because it explains things well.

Agree or Disagree?
Sort of... I think the Christians were very intelligent. With promises to third world nations, all they need is to accept a religion...