• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Reality Of Hell

Booko

Deviled Hen
logician said:
There really is little biblical support for the idea of a place of eternal torment. The idea really was pushed in the Xian church to literally scare people into being believers.

And your evidence for that is...?

Genna

Hell is invented by humans and not God, it is invented to put a scare in people so that they won't commit evil acts. Who says what is evil? I love sex, the bible says its wrong before marriage, whats wrong with sex before marriage?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Genna said:
Hell is invented by humans and not God, it is invented to put a scare in people so that they won't commit evil acts. Who says what is evil? I love sex, the bible says its wrong before marriage, whats wrong with sex before marriage?

The part that has accidental babies who are then raised in less than ideal circumstances, for starters.

From an epidemiological standpoint, the part that spreads STDs.

Genna

I don't have sex with those with STD'S there are clinics where one can go to determine if they have STD'S. Anyways I am not threatened by the concept of hell, why would a God who loves people so much torture them for 10,000,000,000,000,000 + years? he can torture me, I won't surrender to him or anyones demands!

Booko

Deviled Hen
Genna said:
I don't have sex with those with STD'S there are clinics where one can go to determine if they have STD'S. Anyways I am not threatened by the concept of hell, why would a God who loves people so much torture them for 10,000,000,000,000,000 + years? he can torture me, I won't surrender to him or anyones demands!
Beats me. I don't do the eternal hellfire thing either. I never understood how that was loving or merciful. :shrug:

But there are some practical reasons for having limits on sex, whether they come from religion or not.

I have a different take on STDs, possibly having been from another generation, but that will take us off the thread.

adlemi

lockyfan said:
adlemi said:
The bible is GODS WORD

it is what tells us what God wants us to do and how to act. it also tells us lessons that we can learn to live life as best as we can.

The bible may not be God himself, but it might AS WELL BE
The bible is not God and God is not the bible either, hence it is important to know what God really tells us today instead of focusing our attention to the bible. The bible must be a tool for us to go and come to direct with the Lord God himself and learn from God personally.

may

adlemi said:
JW do not believe in eternal and spiritual hell after the second coming of the Lord, don't you? Anyone who dies unsaved is just like a bursting bubble with you without any spirit to be tormented in hell, am I right in saying this?
JW do not believe in a litral hellfire, this is not what the bible teaches , it is a manmade doctrine

adlemi

may said:
JW do not believe in a litral hellfire, this is not what the bible teaches , it is a manmade doctrine
or it is otherwise of what you're saying? see the book of Revelation and you can read there the lake of fire for the unsaved and the evil spirits and not only in on passage, are you superceding those passages of the bible with your own theory this time?

may

adlemi said:
or it is otherwise of what you're saying? see the book of Revelation and you can read there the lake of fire for the unsaved and the evil spirits and not only in on passage, are you superceding those passages of the bible with your own theory this time?
the lake of fire is symbolic of total destruction ..the book of revalation is full of signs and symbols, notice that death and hades are thrown into it .
"The lake" mentioned here is symbolic, since death and hell (Hades) that are thrown into it cannot literally be burned. "This [lake of fire] means the second death"—death from which there is no hope of coming back to life.—Revelation 20:14. no there is no litral hellfire .
The lake of fire has a meaning similar to that of "the fiery Gehenna [hell fire, King James Version]" that Jesus spoke of. (Matthew 5:22; Mark 9:47, 48) Gehenna occurs 12 times in the Christian Greek Scriptures, and it refers to the valley of Hinnom, outside the walls of Jerusalem. When Jesus was on earth, this valley was used as a garbage dump, "where the dead bodies of criminals, and the carcasses of animals, and every other kind of filth was cast." (Smith’s Dictionary of the Bible) The fires were kept burning by adding sulfur to burn up the refuse. Jesus used that valley as a proper symbol of everlasting destruction. live people were not thrown into Gehenna only the dead ones.

logician

The onus is on the person who claims there is an afterlife. The only facts we have are that people die. Prove there is something alive after death.

adlemi

may said:
the lake of fire is symbolic of total destruction ..the book of revalation is full of signs and symbols, notice that death and hades are thrown into it .
"The lake" mentioned here is symbolic, since death and hell (Hades) that are thrown into it cannot literally be burned. "This [lake of fire] means the second death"—death from which there is no hope of coming back to life.—Revelation 20:14. no there is no litral hellfire .
The lake of fire has a meaning similar to that of "the fiery Gehenna [hell fire, King James Version]" that Jesus spoke of. (Matthew 5:22; Mark 9:47, 48) Gehenna occurs 12 times in the Christian Greek Scriptures, and it refers to the valley of Hinnom, outside the walls of Jerusalem. When Jesus was on earth, this valley was used as a garbage dump, "where the dead bodies of criminals, and the carcasses of animals, and every other kind of filth was cast." (Smith’s Dictionary of the Bible) The fires were kept burning by adding sulfur to burn up the refuse. Jesus used that valley as a proper symbol of everlasting destruction. live people were not thrown into Gehenna only the dead ones.
But the problem here is that you are interpreting the bible on your own understanding of what is written. From whom did you learn that the lake of fire is just symbolic? YOu do believe God is real and alive and yet you do it on your own using the verses of the bible, are they God himself?

Hacker

Yes the bible makes it very clear that their will be anguish and pain, and mentions the word "fire" often. If there is such a firey pit, it better be just for the murderers, killers, rapists ec..because if it's some of the Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, etc etc, then it's a darn shame and I'm going with them cause that isn't fair at all.:no: :(

adlemi

tlcmel said:
Yes the bible makes it very clear that their will be anguish and pain, and mentions the word "fire" often. If there is such a firey pit, it better be just for the murderers, killers, rapists ec..because if it's some of the Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, etc etc, then it's a darn shame and I'm going with them cause that isn't fair at all.:no: :(
Aren't there people in the Bhuddhists, Muslims, Jews, etc. of the nature that you wanted to be placed in hell of fire?

Hacker

adlemi said:
Aren't there people in the Bhuddhists, Muslims, Jews, etc. of the nature that you wanted to be placed in hell of fire?
What? Could you be a lil more explicit please.

adlemi

tlcmel said:
What? Could you be a lil more explicit please.
You said that if there is such a firey pit, it must be for the murderers, killers, rapist and the likes, didn't you? I am asking you now, are there no such kind of persons in the groups of Bhuddhists, Muslims, Jews, etc.?

Hacker

adlemi said:
You said that if there is such a firey pit, it must be for the murderers, killers, rapist and the likes, didn't you? I am asking you now, are there no such kind of persons in the groups of Bhuddhists, Muslims, Jews, etc.?
Oh I'm sure there is, but I'm actually talking about EVERYONE except the murderers, killers, rapists and the like.

shema

Adam's sin brought death. Had Adam not sinned therefore he wouldn't have died. Jesus takes away sin so the meek shall inherit the earth and live forever upon it. Death will be no more. Sin will be no more. Hell ( the common grave of mankind ) will be no more and Satan will be no more. [/quote]

I believe this sums up the term "being saved".

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
logician said:
The onus is on the person who claims there is an afterlife. The only facts we have are that people die. Prove there is something alive after death.

That isn't the point, is is now?