• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The RCC and paedophilia

Shantanu

I have just seen this BBC News report! Catholics should be questioning a church, which has permitted child sexual abuse by some of their priests to be covered up for so long.:mad:

A senior Roman Catholic Cardinal has said that files documenting child sexual abuse were destroyed, allowing offences to continue.

German Cardinal Reinhard Marx told a conference on paedophilia in the Church that procedures to prosecute offenders "were deliberately not complied with".

"The rights of victims were effectively trampled underfoot," he said.

The unprecedented four-day summit has brought together 190 bishops from across the world.

The Catholic Church has faced growing pressure amid long-running cases of sexual abuse of children and young men, with victims accusing it of failing to tackle the issue.
What does the Bible say about sex with underage children?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I see that Australian Cardinal Pell has been convicted of sexual assaulting young choir boys. I hope they send that pervert down for a very long time. It is disgusting that the RCC is holding out on excommunicating that excuse for human being!:mad:

All decent Catholics should stick two fingers up at a church, which has covered up sexual abuse by its clergy for so long.

They excommunicate doctors who perform abortions even when the life of the woman is in danger. They do not excomunicate nazis nor kids rapists.

That is the basic morality of that outfit.

Ciao

- viole

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It is disgusting that the RCC is holding out on excommunicating that excuse for human being!:mad:
That's not what excommunication is for. "Excommunication" means "out of communion with the Church" but that does not mean nor imply that one commits just any sin. Through the sacrament of Reconciliation (confession), a person may possibly be brought back into the Church. IOW, a person pretty much has to stand in defiance of the Church's authority on certain basic matters, and even then it's only rarely invoked.

Also, to be clear, the Church here in the States has been taking a position since the early 2000's that all suspected or known cases of abuse must be reported to the civil authorities, and that point was just reinforced by Pope Francis this last weekend.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There are two things that some here just continually ignore, with one of them being that it is only a small minority of priests who have allegedly committed sexual abuse, and the second is that such abuse cases are sharply down, and I believe it was in the recent Pennsylvania investigation that found that all, or almost all, of the alleged priests were already dead as these cases occurred decades ago.

To be clear, I certainly am in no way defending the Church's previous actions of denial and moving priests around as I have been VERY critical of that both here at RF and also in my personal life outside these boards.

But two wrongs don't make a right, so those who just lambaste the Church without any recognition of the changes that have taken place to try and remedy the situation, plus the actions of the Church to try and help multiple millions of people every year, especially the poor and victims, are just committing another wrong.

JJ50

I see that evil piece of scum Pell is being kept in custody, hopefully he will have a very long prison sentence and a very uncomfortable time there.
All the RCC doctrines are absolute garbage, and have created a climate for abuse, imo.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I have just seen this BBC News report! Catholics should be questioning a church, which has permitted child sexual abuse by some of their priests to be covered up for so long.:mad:

A senior Roman Catholic Cardinal has said that files documenting child sexual abuse were destroyed, allowing offences to continue.

German Cardinal Reinhard Marx told a conference on paedophilia in the Church that procedures to prosecute offenders "were deliberately not complied with".

"The rights of victims were effectively trampled underfoot," he said.

The unprecedented four-day summit has brought together 190 bishops from across the world.

The Catholic Church has faced growing pressure amid long-running cases of sexual abuse of children and young men, with victims accusing it of failing to tackle the issue.

On a sidenote, the former number 3 of the Vatican, Carindal Pell, has just been found guilty on charges of pedophile rape and abuse and is currently in prison. He'll hear his punishment on 14th of march.

The "defense" was absolutely mindblowingly shocking.

"it was just vanilla sex with regular penetration of a 13-year old that didn't actively participate without any use of attributes or whatever. Surely this isn't worthy of a heavy sentence"

Wow! Just........wow!
How do you even DARE to say such things AS A DEFENSE?????

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Because pedophilia is such a rare occurrence within the Church, there is no doubt some inexperience by the Church in dealing with such matters.

For crying out loud..............

"inexperience"? Seriously?

That's the excuse for not only NOT handing them over to the cops, but for ACTIVELY and DELIBERATLY destroying / hiding the evidence and ACTIVELY avoiding them to get caught and brought to justice?
And even moving them around to other places to avoid such prosecution and allowing them to just continue their vile practice in new communities?

There are no excuses for such practices.
The people that did this are just as guilty as the abusers themselves.

Actively covering up a crime, is as good as being complicit to it.

Frankly, you should be ashamed for even suggesting this.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
When less than 100 Priests out of more than 100,000 of them over a 50 year time span have been shown to sexually abuse prepubescent boys; this is very rare in comparison to the conservatively estimated 3 percent of the overall male population who are believed to have sexually abused prepubescent boys. So then, maybe the Church policy of transferring suspected child molesting Priests away from exposure with children to being among a parish of predominately elderly people has been an effective method of preventing sexual abuse against prepubescent boys.

It doesn't matter how rare it is.
1 or a 1000 or a million. It's vile and there are no excuses for actively trying to cover it up.

No excuses at all.