• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The RCC and paedophilia

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you think of that @Vinayaka , and @SomeRandom?
We're discussing the specific hierarchical structure of protecting pedophiles and outright flaunting various laws done specifically by the Catholic Church, not the laity. Catholics are not beholden to the Church and I personally know many who are disgusted by the abuse perpetrated and actively covered up by the RCC.
Just because the world calls for the Roman Catholic Church, an institution supposed to adhere to not only Christian values but demonstrate good morals, to stop protecting pedophiles (which you'd think would just be common sense) does not mean the world is demonizing Catholics as pedophiles. The specific structure and provable actions done by the Church is being condemned, not random Catholics minding their own business.
And just because one is a Catholic does not mean they have any obligation whatsoever to defend the actions of the Church.

Cooky

Veteran Member
We're discussing the specific hierarchical structure of protecting pedophiles and outright flaunting various laws done specifically by the Catholic Church, not the laity. Catholics are not beholden to the Church and I personally know many who are disgusted by the abuse perpetrated and actively covered up by the RCC.
Just because the world calls for the Roman Catholic Church, an institution supposed to adhere to not only Christian values but demonstrate good morals, to stop protecting pedophiles (which you'd think would just be common sense) does not mean the world is demonizing Catholics as pedophiles. The specific structure and provable actions done by the Church is being condemned, not random Catholics minding their own business.
And just because one is a Catholic does not mean they have any obligation whatsoever to defend the actions of the Church.

Ok, fair enough. But there was one or two posters, who at least for a moment, entertained the idea of placing blame on all Catholics. Then it shifted to every single clergyman.

It looks like now, the blame is being properly addressed, by shifting the blame to the perpetrators and those individuals who actively covered things up and moved priests. That would be acceptable to me.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, fair enough. But there was one or two posters, who at least for a moment, entertained the idea of placing blame on all Catholics. Then it shifted to every single clergyman.

It looks like now, the blame is being properly addressed, by shifting the blame to the perpetrators and those individuals who actively covered things up and moved priests. That would be acceptable to me.

My only quibble is around 'actively'.
If a priest or layperson was aware of abuse, or of cover ups, then they deserve a share of the blame, even if they weren't 'actively' involved.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No. I've honestly never met a rapist. And I truly don't understand the logic of lumping all clergy together in a basket and tagging that basket: "rapist".

...That just doesn't seem fair to me.

You would have met a rapist. You just didn't know it. Me too, more's the shame.

Not commenting on church or clergy here. Unfortunately monsters can hide in plain sight. They look disappointingly 'normal'.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Give me a break, Epic. You know as well ad I do that Atheists "wag their fingers" at the religious all the time. Satanists do it and Muslims too. Every cultural, political and religious group does it. It's human nature.

People do what people do. And you do it as well. :cool:

It is human nature. But I think it's reasonable and achievable to also judge our own groups.
To whit, when I was a primary school teacher, I hated with a passion any male teacher who interfered with children. I felt like they were causing me to be less trusted.

The Catholic Church...and other groups...should absolutely have a zero tolerance policy for cases of sexual abuse, else need to realise they'll all end up 'tarred with the same brush'. Like professional cyclists and steroid abuse, NFL players and spousal abuse, or boy bands and eardrum abuse.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is human nature. But I think it's reasonable and achievable to also judge our own groups.
To whit, when I was a primary school teacher, I hated with a passion any male teacher who interfered with children. I felt like they were causing me to be less trusted.

The Catholic Church...and other groups...should absolutely have a zero tolerance policy for cases of sexual abuse, else need to realise they'll all end up 'tarred with the same brush'. Like professional cyclists and steroid abuse, NFL players and spousal abuse, or boy bands and eardrum abuse.
And corrupt moderators who overcharge for bribes.