• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The RCC and paedophilia

Cooky

Veteran Member
Exactly....

Christians and Catholics alike are too busy wagging their fingers talking about other religions but aren't focusing on the hypocritical travesty of their own.

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Matthew 7:5
If they don't hate it enough to leave the Church, then they don't hate it as much as I do.

Listen to one of our fellow RF members speak on the radio:
Church and Culture - February 16, 2019 - Hour 2 - Brother Mark Dohle discusses the individual spiritual challenge posed by the Church crisis. - Ave Maria Radio

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Are these people who rape kids and cover it up not the same people that you tithe to and get cozy with inside confession booths? Isn't your belief that they're the gatekeepers of your salvation?

No. I've honestly never met a rapist. And I truly don't understand the logic of lumping all clergy together in a basket and tagging that basket: "rapist".

...That just doesn't seem fair to me.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Also, for the record, clergy are not the gatekeepers of my salvation. No Catholic believes that.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Those figures are unbelievable. I suspect that there are more paedophiles in all churches than in the general population. Because of the cherry tree effect. Cherry trees are easy to clime and have very sweet fruit ready for the picking...pedophiles and sexual predators are attracted to all such organisations where young people gathered.

Please let's examine the number of legally convicted sex crime offenders in the U.S., and then we can objectively compare what percentage of American Catholic Priests are convicted sex abusers in comparison to percentage of the overall general American adult population who are legally convicted sex abusers. There are 747,408 registered sex crime offenders in the U.S. If there are 747,408 registered sex crime offenders, then there are at least 747,408 convicted sex crime offenders in the overall general population of the U.S.

Out of 747,408 Registered Sex Offenders, How Many Are Actually Dangerous?

Out of 423 Christian American Priests, who have been convicted of sexual abuse, 150 of them were Catholic American Priests.

There are approximately 150 former American Catholic priests, who've been convicted of sex abuse.

Here Are The Details Of 423 Christian Priests Who Have Been Convicted Of Sexual Abuse

There are now approximately 60,000 American Catholic priests. 150 convicted sex abusers out of 60,000 means that approximately only one out of 400 American Catholic Priests (0.25 percent ) are convicted sex crime offenders. According to widely available U.S. Census data, there are approximately 240 million American adults ( age 18 or over ) 747,408 convicted sex abusers out of 240 million means that at least one out of 320 ( 0.31 percent ) of the American adult population are convicted sex crime offenders.

Only approximately 0.25 percent of American Priests are convicted sex crime offenders compared to at least 0.31 percent of the overall American adult population who are convicted sex crime offenders.

So then, when considering all legally defined sex crimes, Priests are still at least 25 percent less likely to be legally found guilty of a sex crime than the likelihood somebody who is a non-Priest is legally found guilty of a sex crime.

Has anybody even considered the possibility Priests are less likely to be convicted sex abusers than non-priests, because Priests actually do commit sex abuse at a lower rate than non-priests?

Cooky

Veteran Member
How would you even know this?

Actually, I'm friends with two previously convicted child molesters. I just meant that the priests I've known were not convicted abusers. Well, except for one: Dale Fushek, who I didn't like to begin with because he spent an entire sermon insulting Mormonism, and always said "I looooove youuu" at the beginning of every Mass, which was overly cheesy IMO.

Dale Fushek - Wikipedia

...So, I was wrong about what I said.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Please let's examine the number of legally convicted sex crime offenders in the U.S., and then we can objectively compare what percentage of American Catholic Priests are convicted sex abusers in comparison to percentage of the overall general American adult population who are legally convicted sex abusers. There are 747,408 registered sex crime offenders in the U.S. If there are 747,408 registered sex crime offenders, then there are at least 747,408 convicted sex crime offenders in the overall general population of the U.S.

Out of 423 Christian American Priests, who have been convicted of sexual abuse, 150 of them were Catholic American Priests.

There are approximately 150 former American Catholic priests, who've been convicted of sex abuse.

Here Are The Details Of 423 Christian Priests Who Have Been Convicted Of Sexual Abuse

There are now approximately 60,000 American Catholic priests. 150 convicted sex abusers out of 60,000 means that approximately only one out of 400 American Catholic Priests (0.25 percent ) are convicted sex crime offenders. According to widely available U.S. Census data, there are approximately 240 million American adults ( age 18 or over ) 747,408 convicted sex abusers out of 240 million means that at least one out of 320 ( 0.31 percent ) of the American adult population are convicted sex crime offenders.

Only approximately 0.25 percent of American Priests are convicted sex crime offenders compared to at least 0.31 percent of the overall American adult population who are convicted sex crime offenders.

So then, when considering all legally defined sex crimes, Priests are still at least 25 percent less likely to be legally found guilty of a sex crime than the likelihood somebody who is a non-Priest is legally found guilty of a sex crime.

Has anybody even considered the possibility Priests are less likely to be convicted sex abusers than non-priests, because Priests actually do commit sex abuse at a lower rate than non-priests?

What you have stated is exactly why people are so concerned.
Convictions nor court cases adequately represent the number of paedofile priests.
They have been consistantly protected from prosecution by the church authorities.
This has been acknowledged by the Pope and is why he has called the present conference of bishops.
He has made it clear to them that this is a very serious problem that must and will be addressed.

Views such as you have expressed are a part of the problem, not a solution.

JChnsc19

I can’t believe anyone is trying to justify the percentages. Isn’t 1 too many? Mind blowing...

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I can’t believe anyone is trying to justify the percentages. Isn’t 1 too many? Mind blowing...

Of course, any sex abuse is wrong; I'm just pointing out the fact there are a lower percentage of convicted sex abuser Priests than convicted sex abuser non-priests. This fact may indicate Priests overall as a group are less perverted than non-Priests.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Of course, any sex abuse is wrong; I'm just pointing out the fact there are a lower percentage of convicted sex abuser Priests than convicted sex abuser non-priests. This fact may indicate Priests overall as a group are less perverted than non-Priests.

More likely, is that they have been protected from prosecution by their superiors. Which is a proven and accepted fact.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
More likely, is that they have been protected from prosecution by their superiors. Which is a proven and accepted fact.

The RCC has indeed in some cases mishandled some of its few sexually abusive Priests, but I'm not so sure the Church does this at a higher rate than how society as a whole has mishandled sex abusers.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The RCC has indeed in some cases mishandled some of its few sexually abusive Priests, but I'm not so sure the Church does this at a higher rate than how society as a whole has mishandled sex abusers.

I am sad to see you denying the fact that the abuse is widespread and recognised as such by the Pope no less.
Society as a whole does not cover up its crimes nor protect the perpetrators from prosecution.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I am sad to see you denying the fact that the abuse is widespread and recognised as such by the Pope no less.
Society as a whole does not cover up its crimes nor protect the perpetrators from prosecution.

Unfortunately, unreported sex crimes are neither documented nor their validity lawfully proven, so there's really no way of knowing exactly who is failing to report actual sex crimes.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
No. I've honestly never met a rapist. And I truly don't understand the logic of lumping all clergy together in a basket and tagging that basket: "rapist".

...That just doesn't seem fair to me.
the problem is that when the hierarchy protects and hides the Guilty, there is no way for parishioners toknow who or how many are responsible for these things. The only way to handle this secrecy and doubt is to suspect everyone.
If the Clergy rally in support of each other at the expense of the victims, one can only fear that they are all equally guilty. In the same way that someone helping a murderer escape justice is Guilty of complicity.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Unfortunately, unreported sex crimes are neither documented nor their validity lawfully proven, so there's really no way of knowing exactly who is failing to report actual sex crimes.

It is admitted, so it is not in doubt. The Pope did not call the bishops into conference just to listen to his own voice. There is too much evidence from the abused to think that the problem is all evening mist.

I do not understand why you are still persisting in defending the indefensible.
Burying your head in the sand will not make it all go away, nor will denying the truth.

Cooky

Veteran Member
the problem is that when the hierarchy protects and hides the Guilty, there is no way for parishioners toknow who or how many are responsible for these things. The only way to handle this secrecy and doubt is to suspect everyone.
If the Clergy rally in support of each other at the expense of the victims, one can only fear that they are all equally guilty. In the same way that someone helping a murderer escape justice is Guilty of complicity.

LOL. So we should just assume every Catholic clergyman is guilty of molestation? Sorry, but even though you Protestant descendants were brought up hating the church, and it was considered right and just by your parents and grandparents to do so, that does not mean that it is morally justifiable to consider people "guilty until proven innocent".

...But I understand. Some of my "Old English" ancestors from Ireland (more Irish than the Irish) were stoned at the marketplace by Catholics for being Protestant. So they left Ireland and settled in America. But that's no excuse for embracing flawed ideologies such as "guilty before proven innocent" based on the hysteria of the mainstream media, who actually profits off of exaggerating bad news.