• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The RCC and paedophilia

Cooky

Veteran Member
Not really. I'm point out the hypocrisy but this is clearly "chickens coming home to roost."

You say Catholics and Christians "wag their fingers at other religions", and that this is "chickens coming home to roost."

...Well, I have to tell ya, that's a pretty wide brush you're using painting all Christians and Catholics like that. I'm surprised your willing to stoop to that level... I know you're better than that, Epic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
How's it ignorant? Churches have a long history of pretending to be authorities on morality yet in the end it turns out that they're among the worst examples of it.

While your statement holds some value, Epic's ignorant post was basically just an opportunity for him to take pot shots at Catholics and Christians in general.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Then that contradicts your previous claim.

Someone else said that. I believe it was @Remté.

...And speaking of seperate individuals, the church is made up of millions of them... Just thought I'd throw that in there, as some people are acting as though we're all guilty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Someone else said that. I believe it was @Remté.

...And speaking of seperate individuals, the church is made up of millions of them... Just thought I'd throw that in there, as some people are acting as though we're all guilty.
When one supports those that are guilty it does share the guilt a bit. What the church should have done from the start was to put any accused person under outside investigation and put them on paid leave. Instead they moved they guilty, hid them and sometimes spirited them out of the country. Though the rank and file may not be guilty your church as a whole is.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
You say Catholics and Christians "wag their fingers at other religions", and that this is "chickens coming home to roost."

...Well, I have to tell ya, that's a pretty wide brush you're using painting all Christians and Catholics like that. I'm surprised your willing to stoop to that level... I know you're better than that, Epic.

No wide brush this very website alone I see it! I see in YouTube videos and in everyday activities of both Catholics and Christians.

Remté

Right, but you suggested that it's a tolerated epidemic not just within the church but all businesses, institutions, organizations, etc. and as such none of them should be held accountable.
I just think if we do away with them all the society will be ruined. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing - who am I to say?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
When less than 100 Priests out of more than 100,000 of them over a 50 year time span have been shown to sexually abuse prepubescent boys; this is very rare in comparison to the conservatively estimated 3 percent of the overall male population who are believed to have sexually abused prepubescent boys. So then, maybe the Church policy of transferring suspected child molesting Priests away from exposure with children to being among a parish of predominately elderly people has been an effective method of preventing sexual abuse against prepubescent boys.

Those figures are unbelievable. I suspect that there are more paedophiles in all churches than in the general population. Because of the cherry tree effect. Cherry trees are easy to clime and have very sweet fruit ready for the picking...pedophiles and sexual predators are attracted to all such organisations where young people gathered.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The National Secular Society offer an alternative 21 action points, 15 of which are based on UN recommendations, which would signal that the Catholic Church is committed to tackling this issue.

1. In the interests of securing secular justice, ensure diplomatic privilege will not be used to obstruct the provision of information on child abuse sought by civil authorities, including such information held in the Vatican.
  2. Ensure the church does not obstruct the extradition of those wanted for crimes or to give evidence in criminal or civil cases.
  3. Make a formal commitment to engage constructively with the UN committee on the rights of the child (UNCRC).
  4. Commit to submitting mandatory reports to the UN [or UNCRC] by their due date.
  5. Establish a body responsible for implementing the recommendations of the committee with power to enforce them throughout the church.
  6. Submit the Holy See's mandatory five-yearly periodic report to the UNCRC, which was due on 1 September 2017.
  7. Immediately remove all known and suspected child sexual abusers from assignment and refer the matter to the relevant law enforcement authorities for investigation and prosecution purposes.
  8. Ensure a transparent sharing of all archives which can be used to hold the abusers accountable as well as all those who concealed their crimes and knowingly placed offenders in contact with children.
  9. Amend canon law in order for child sexual abuse to be considered a crime.
  10. Repeal all [canon law] provisions which may impose an obligation of silence on the victims and on all those that become aware of such crimes.
  11. Establish clear rules, mechanisms and procedures for the mandatory reporting of all suspected cases of child sexual abuse and exploitation to law enforcement authorities.
  12. Ensure that all priests, religious personnel and individuals working under the authority of the Holy See are made aware of their reporting obligations and of the fact that in case of conflict, these obligations prevail over canon law provisions.
  13. Develop comprehensive procedures for the early identification of child victims of sexual and other forms of abuse.
  14. Ensure accessible, confidential, child-friendly and effective reporting channels for children who are victims or witnesses of sexual abuse and ensure that child victims of sexual abuse or any other crimes are protected from future abuse and from retaliation when reporting abuse. Parents should obtain assistance in bringing abuse suffered by their children before courts.
  15. Ensure that child victims and witnesses of crimes are provided with psycho-social support for their rehabilitation and reintegration and that such measures are not made conditional on confidential settlement preventing children from reporting to national law enforcement authorities.
  16. Provide compensation to victims of sexual abuse committed by individuals and institutions under the Holy See's authority without imposing any obligation of confidentiality on the victims and establish a compensation scheme for victims in this respect.
  17. Promote the reform of statute of limitations in countries where they impede victims of child sexual abuse from seeking justice and redress.
  18. Conduct awareness-raising activities to combat the stigmatisation of victims of sexual exploitation and abuse.
  19. Take all appropriate measures to ensure that the UNCRC's 2014 recommendations are fully implemented.
  20. Undertake a comprehensive review of the church's normative framework, in particular canon law, with a view to ensuring its full compliance with the UN convention on the rights of the child.
  21. Establish a mechanism at a high level with the mandate and capacity to coordinate the implementation of children's rights across all pontifical councils, episcopal conferences of bishops as well as individuals and institutions of a religious nature that function under the authority of the Holy See.
21 steps the pope would take if he was committed to tackling child abuse