• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rapid Decline of Christianity in the USA

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I've seen the approximated following statistics:

Married adulterers in the West: 50%

Divorce rate in the West: 50%

There is no close correlation?

4.png

Divorce rate in Maine correlates with Per capita consumption of margarine (US)

Riders

Even still, any and every sin is an act of working contrary to god, and the only one who reserve the right to judge such things is god himself. Christianity inherently does not allow for the "no true Scots" position, because taking such a position has a Christian doing what only god is supposed to do.

It was poisoning me emotionally. I realized it wasn't good. I had a moment of doubt, read the Bible to strengthen my faith, but reading what is actually in the Bible completely incinerated my faith. I was reading of some of the most cruel and sadistic things I had (and still have) read, and following this god left me in a state where I were I would have eagerly greeted death with open arms. God left me with many emotional scars, but yet even so cutting him out of my life threw me into a downward spiral. But my recovery has been going just fine, and I've obtained levels of happiness that I didn't even know existed. I purged the poison from my body, and as the prognosis is good.

God never answered my prayers.

Again, see my comment about judging things you know nothing of. God was all I had then. Always loving and worshiping god, and always having faith and trust in him. But yet I'd wake up and go back to sleep for a few more hours because I was so depressed and miserable that nothing else mattered.

I have, and I don't see it as "divesting." Rather, "liberating" is the term that comes to mind.

Then why is it so he made me in such a way that would cause incredible pain and suffering? And, yes, there is a difference between the temptation of wanting to curse god over a series of unfortunate events (something god maliciously allowed, permitted, and encouraged against Job) and the temptation to curse god over a life that leaves you wishing that you did die at birth instead of being saved (I nearly didn't). That is how much damage god did to me.
What you are saying, from my perspective, is my abusive ex loves me and always wants what's best for me. But he doesn't. He is one of those exes who steals your confidence and self-esteem, who degrades you and then says I love you. And giving up the life I've gained, the tremendous mental health boost since I kicked him out? When he was in my life, I had no real motivation. Without I've reached a point where I can say I've had pieces of my art on display in an art gallery. And you think I should go back to that?

We should start a thread for ex Christians who have been hurt or decided to reject the bible to say why.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There is little point--since Lovecraft wrote fiction and the Bible writers claimed to be writing factual books.
Then let us open the discussion for Zeus, Allah, Thor, Amon, Hecate, Poseidon, Quetzalcoatl, or Gilgamesh. Same self-circulating claims, evidence, and points.
but about our need for soul satisfaction and soul saving.
Just because you have this need doesn't mean others do. I have no need for my soul to be saved, and nothing it needs saved from.
Yes, you are right. Let's clarify. Biblical sexuality would end 99.5% of STDs and strengthen many, not all marriages to avoid divorce. But have you noticed?
It doesn't declare that because STIs weren't even a concept then. And science, especially with germ theory, states your claim is false. It completely ignores than some STIs are debated as to whether or not they should even be rightfully considered an STI because there are so many ways other than sex to spread them.
1) Rate of divorce in the West - 50%

2) Rate of marrieds cheating in the West - 50%

You see no close correlation?
I see numbers with no sources. I can just as easily say:
Rate of divorce in West: 75%
Rate of marriages with a cheating partner: 25%
See the correlation?
Without sources, my numbers stand just as credible as yours.

Deidre

Why is Islam on the rise in the US, while Christianity is on the decline? Not sure if this was mentioned...I didn't go through the thread.

I happen to think because religious people often times like structure. Islam doesn't deviate like Christianity. Christianity has so many denominations that it doesn't seem unified. Islam unifies people it seems, and that's why it's popular I think over Christianity.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why is Islam on the rise in the US, while Christianity is on the decline? Not sure if this was mentioned...I didn't go through the thread.

I happen to think because religious people often times like structure. Islam doesn't deviate like Christianity. Christianity has so many denominations that it doesn't seem unified. Islam unifies people it seems, and that's why it's popular I think over Christianity.
I have heard as much. I don't really have a better explanation.

Deidre

I have heard as much. I don't really have a better explanation.
Yea, it seems like a plausible reason considering both religions use the OT for much of their belief system so the idea that people are more educated and therefore dumping Christianity, can't be the main reason. Atheism is on the rise though, too.

Skwim

Veteran Member

5 key findings about the changing U.S. religious landscape
1. Christians are declining, both as a share of the U.S. population and in total number.

2. Within Christianity, the biggest declines have been in the mainline Protestant tradition and among Catholics.

3. The decline of Christians in the U.S. has corresponded with the continued rise in the share of Americans with no religious affiliation (religious “nones”).

4. the major trends seen in American religion since 2007 – the decline of Christians and rise of the “nones” – have occurred in some form across many demographic groups, including men and women, older and younger Americans, and people with different levels of education and different races and ethnicities.

5. The share of Americans who identify with non-Christian faiths, such as Islam and Hinduism, has grown modestly in recent years, from 4.7% in 2007 to 5.9% in 2014. Muslims now account for 0.9% of the U.S. adult population (up from 0.4% in the 2007 Landscape Study), while Hindus make up 0.7% of U.S. adults (up from 0.4% in 2007).

PF_15.05.05_RLS2_1_310px.png
source
The increase in the Muslim population from 0.4% to 0.9% between 2007 and 2014 amounts to a 125% increase.

The main reasons for Islam’s growth ultimately involve simple demographics. To begin with, Muslims have more children than members of the seven other major religious groups analyzed in the study.

The growth of the Muslim population also is helped by the fact that Muslims have the youngest median age (24 in 2015) of all major religious groups, more than seven years younger than the median age of non-Muslims (32).
source

The growth rate of Islam in Western nations (including the US and Canada) primarily comes through: a high Muslim birth rate and immigration (e.g., Muslims moving to the United States), not from converts (non-Muslims becoming Muslims).
source

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As one who can spend gobs of hours in a bookstore, one thing that I have noticed is the high number of books on Buddhism even in relatively conservative areas.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I await your thoughts.

Well we could start with Tytler's life cycle of governments. The one I am going to post is the specific one that applies to our government, but none of his other's are too off the mark.

Bondage
Spiritual Faith
Courage
Liberty
Abundance
Selfishness
Complacency
Apathy
Dependence
Then starting over with Bondage

Tytler organized these items in a circle:

tytler.jpg

That looks like the cycle of the representative republic the USA adopted for it's political model, perfectly. The very top would probably represent the 1700's. Step two, Christian faith led to the great progress this country made which belong on that half of the cycle. Starting with The formal school system, the creation of a strong military, the eventual abolition of slavery by force, the greatest founding documents and principles ever laid down, responsible monetary policies, the defeat of the greatest threat to freedom loving nations in existence, and best of all the great moral standard values and duties founded on the bible.

At the bottom of the circle about 1950 we were the epitome of wealth, freedom, individualism, military strength, and benevolence. However in the mid 50's the secular revolution began to tear down the cherished institutions that made us great, lessened our military power then forgot how to even use it, unchained morality from any objectictive fixed point, replaced God with either ourselves or science, and worst of all monetary policies so flawed they undoubtedly will be what finally kills us off. They already have, we are just fighting over ideas that determine how fast we bleed out.

Before you start arbitrarily adapting Tytler's cycle of democracy to make it more convenient for you your going to have to at least get close to his credentials:

Alexander Fraser Tytler, Lord Woodhouselee FRSE was a Scottish advocate, judge, writer and historian who served as Professor of Universal History, and Greek and Roman Antiquities at the University of Edinburgh. Wikipedia

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Abolition of slavery by force is, as should be self-evident, pointless and dreadful.

If people must be forced to behave ethically, then they will rebel and cause further sorrow when that force is no longer applied.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well we could start with Tytler's life cycle of governments. The one I am going to post is the specific one that applies to our government, but none of his other's are too off the mark.

Bondage
Spiritual Faith
Courage
Liberty
Abundance
Selfishness
Complacency
Apathy
Dependence
Then starting over with Bondage

Tytler organized these items in a circle:

tytler.jpg

That looks like the cycle of the representative republic the USA adopted for it's political model, perfectly. The very top would probably represent the 1700's.

Step two, Christian faith led to the great progress this country made which belong on that half of the cycle.

Starting with The formal school system, the creation of a strong military, the eventual abolition of slavery by force, the greatest founding documents and principles ever laid down, responsible monetary policies, the defeat of the greatest threat to freedom loving nations in existence, and best of all the great moral standard values and duties founded on the bible.

At the bottom of the circle about 1950 we were the epitome of wealth, freedom, individualism, military strength, and benevolence. However in the mid 50's the secular revolution began to tear down the cherished institutions that made us great, lessened our military power then forgot how to even use it, unchained morality from any objectictive fixed point, replaced God with either ourselves or science, and worst of all monetary policies so flawed they undoubtedly will be what finally kills us off. They already have, we are just fighting over ideas that determine how fast we bleed out.
Your bias is duly noted.

Have a good day.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Muffled said "However if one is ignoring Jesus or working contrary to Him is such a person really acting as a Christian?"

Shadow Wolf said "Even still, any and every sin is an act of working contrary to god, and the only one who reserve the right to judge such things is god himself. Christianity inherently does not allow for the "no true Scots" position, because taking such a position has a Christian doing what only god is supposed to do"

I believe I am speaking God's judgement and not my own.

Actually God allows a few sins. David didn't get called out for committing the sin of having multiple wives but for taking another man's wife. I believe I am thinking of one who speaks against God. This brings to mind what Jesus said that a person will be held accountable for whatever he/she says. Sometime that means what is not said as well.