• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The rape of Dinah?

Rakhel

Can an observant Jewish woman be a feminist?
Sorry came late to the game :)
There are ways to be observant and be feminist.
My mother(an atheist/agnostic) saw Judaism as a totally submissive religion. Submissive meaning the woman submits to her husband and does anything and everything he tells her to do. Most Jewish women will tell you that that is not the case.

CMike

My mother(an atheist/agnostic) saw Judaism as a totally submissive religion. Submissive meaning the woman submits to her husband and does anything and everything he tells her to do. Most Jewish women will tell you that that is not the case.
LOL It's been my experience that jewish women have no problem telling their husband's what to do.:eek:

CMike

This is all rather silly.

The only thing it says about Dinah is that she was raped.

The bigger questions in the story are:

Why did the brothers kill everyone in the town?

Did the people in the town deserve it?

Was the rebuke by their father too strong or too weak?

That is what is supposed to be explored.

CMike

A woman doesn't have to be submissive in order observe the Torah the way it's supposed to be observed and not alter the Torah for a political agenda.

In fact, women are supposed to be in charge of what goes on in the home.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
The account was written by a man about a woman. Do you not suppose Dinah's perspective may have gone unknown for all these years?

This is the Jewish DIR. Only Jews post things other than questions here, please. Review rule 10.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So, motivated in great part by this thread, I ordered the bookan author that I need to more vigorously pursue.

It arrived yesterday and I immediately jumped to Chapter 5: "See What a Scourge Is Laid upon Your Hate": The Strange Affair of Dinah and Shechem.

It is, in my opinion, well worth reading, and I venture to suggest that Levite will concur. It's that kind of book. Just a suggestion ...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The bigger questions in the story are:
Why did the brothers kill everyone in the town?
Did the people in the town deserve it?
Was the rebuke by their father too strong or too weak?
They are, indeed, important questions concerning which we are likely to disagree. Let me just offer two observations made by Kirsch, the first a judgment and the second an irony:
That is what is supposed to be explored.
Permit me to suggest that there is a real problem when someone implicitly suggests what is not suppose to be explored.

CMike

The only thing the text says about Dinah is that she was raped, therefore, any other stuff about her feelings is pure conjecture.

However, the text does mention a bit about the topics I mentioned.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The only thing the text says about Dinah is that she was raped, ...
Are you aware that there are people far more learned than you who suggest that the text does not say that she was raped? You have every right to disagree, but your certainty is as arrogant as it is baseless.

CMike

Are you aware that there are people far more learned than you who suggest that the text does not say that she was raped? You have every right to disagree, but your certainty is as arrogant as it is baseless.

Not that has been presented.

Last edited:

CMike

They are, indeed, important questions concerning which we are likely to disagree. Let me just offer two observations made by Kirsch, the first a judgment and the second an irony:

Permit me to suggest that there is a real problem when someone implicitly suggests what is not suppose to be explored.

Is there a point you are trying to make by posting the link to those passages? What is it?