• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I had another allergic reaction today. Hives, hard time breathing, face swelling. The worst was the hives. I took a benadryl and I hoped it wouldn't get worse- I didn't want to go to the hospital. It didn't get worse and I didn't have to go to the hospital, but I have to make an appointment with my doctor because each reaction keeps getting worse than the last one.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I hate carpets, why do British houses have so much of the damned things? It's impractical, looks bad, terrible to keep clean, makes me sneeze... The list goes on.

Oh and speaking of impracticality, why does my house, a MODERN house have a double tap sink in the bathroom? Seems like the British never caught up with the fact that these things can be a single tap.

Do I want freezing cold water or burning hot? Hmmm...:facepalm:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I'm thinking about applying to a local state university to work towards a MA in Sociology. My ultimate goal is a PhD in Political Science, but that isn't going to happen within the near future, and I think graduate study in statistical analysis, organizational theory, and other sociological topics will be a huge benefit when I'm finally able to do it.

Or maybe it's just another daydream I'll never get to.:shrug:

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I'm starting to work on Thursday! It's not however sure that I will be employed, they will tell me after a month but WOOHOO! :woohoo: Still is a cause for celebration for me.

That is such a huge difference... Going from school drop out, depressed with severe social phobia to being able to talk to strangers, volunteering and now actually having work. I'm still awkward and shy but there's no comparison.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I'm starting to work on Thursday! It's not however sure that I will be employed, they will tell me after a month but WOOHOO! :woohoo: Still is a cause for celebration for me.

That is such a huge difference... Going from school drop out, depressed with severe social phobia to being able to talk to strangers, volunteering and now actually having work. I'm still awkward and shy but there's no comparison.

Congrats!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I hate carpets, why do British houses have so much of the damned things? It's impractical, looks bad, terrible to keep clean, makes me sneeze... The list goes on.
Oh and speaking of impracticality, why does my house, a MODERN house have a double tap sink in the bathroom? Seems like the British never caught up with the fact that these things can be a single tap.
Do I want freezing cold water or burning hot? Hmmm...:facepalm:
In office buildings, I began a program to replace carpet with wood flooring to reduce maintenance & replacement costs.
It had the unfortunate side effect of being environmentally friendly.

Would you like to join my club, CHUM (Carpet Haters United in Mirth)?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I just found out my spool of solder is lead based, which I had been told by a few people was no longer made. Which is pretty cool that it is lead because I have been told a few people involved in the music business (including a producer and guitar tech) that lead-based solder is better for the sound. And because some of my equipment is so old, there comes times when I having to resolder wires or cables.

ElizabethGould

Iik Onkaar
I just found out my spool of solder is lead based, which I had been told by a few people was no longer made. Which is pretty cool that it is lead because I have been told a few people involved in the music business (including a producer and guitar tech) that lead-based solder is better for the sound. And because some of my equipment is so old, there comes times when I having to resolder wires or cables.
I still solder a fair whack, thanks to owning a 40 year old bass guitar, and as far as I was aware, solder is always lead-based.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I still solder a fair whack, thanks to owning a 40 year old bass guitar, and as far as I was aware, solder is always lead-based.
Solder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On July 1, 2006 the European Union Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE) and Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) came into effect prohibiting the intentional addition of lead to most consumer electronics produced in the EU. Manufacturers in the U.S. may receive tax benefits by reducing the use of lead-based solder. Lead-free solders in commercial use may contain tin, copper, silver, bismuth, indium, zinc, antimony, and traces of other metals. Most lead-free replacements for conventional Sn60/Pb40 and Sn63/Pb37 solder have melting points from 5 to 20 °C higher,[11] though solders with much lower melting points are available.
Drop-in replacements for silkscreen with solder paste soldering operations are available. Minor modification to the solder pots (e.g. titanium liners or impellers) used in wave-soldering operations may be desired to reduce maintenance costs associated with the increased tin-scavenging effects of high tin solders. Since the properties of lead-free solders are not as thoroughly known, they may therefore be considered less desirable for critical applications, like certain aerospace or medical projects. "Tin whiskers" were a problem with early electronic solders, and lead was initially added to the alloy in part to eliminate them.
Sn-Ag-Cu (Tin-Silver-Copper) solders are used by two thirds of Japanese manufacturers for reflow and wave soldering, and by about 75% of companies for hand soldering. The widespread use of this popular lead-free solder alloy family is based on the reduced melting point of the Sn-Ag-Cu ternary eutectic behavior (217 ˚C), which is below the Sn-3.5Ag (wt.%) eutectic of 221 °C and the Sn-0.7Cu eutectic of 227 °C (recently revised by P. Snugovsky to Sn-0.9Cu). The ternary eutectic behavior of Sn-Ag-Cu and its application for electronics assembly was discovered (and patented) by a team of researchers from Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University, and from Sandia National Laboratories-Albuquerque.
Much recent research has focused on selection of 4th element additions to Sn-Ag-Cu to provide compatibility for the reduced cooling rate of solder sphere reflow for assembly of ball grid arrays, e.g., Sn-3.5Ag-0.74Cu-0.21Zn (melting range of 217–220 ˚C) and Sn-3.5Ag-0.85Cu-0.10Mn (melting range of 211–215 ˚C).
Tin-based solders readily dissolve gold, forming brittle intermetallics; for Sn-Pb alloys the critical concentration of gold to embrittle the joint is about 4%. Indium-rich solders (usually indium-lead) are more suitable for soldering thicker gold layer as the dissolution rate of gold in indium is much slower. Tin-rich solders also readily dissolve silver; for soldering silver metallization or surfaces, alloys with addition of silvers are suitable; tin-free alloys are also a choice, though their wettability is poorer. If the soldering time is long enough to form the intermetallics, the tin surface of a joint soldered to gold is very dull.[8]