• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
R6c45ed1179c6447c11dd897b23fb32b7

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
He's been censored....racist per SJWs.

I was reading about that a while back, and the Wiki article on Speedy Gonzales had this part: Speedy Gonzales - Wikipedia

Concern about stereotypes[edit]
Feeling that the character presented an offensive Mexican stereotype, Cartoon Network shelved Speedy's films when it gained exclusive rights to broadcast them in 1999 (as a subsidiary of Time Warner, Cartoon Network is a corporate sibling to Warner Bros.). In an interview with Fox News on March 28, 2002, Cartoon Network spokeswoman Laurie Goldberg commented, "It hasn't been on the air for years because of its ethnic stereotypes."[6]

Despite such controversy over potentially offensive characterizations, Speedy Gonzales remained a popular character in Latin America.[6] Many Hispanic people remembered him fondly as a quick-witted, heroic Mexican character who always got the best of his opponents, at a time when such depictions of Latin Americans were rare in popular entertainment.[7] The Hispanic-American rights organization League of United Latin American Citizens called Speedy a cultural icon, and thousands of users registered their support of the character on the hispaniconline.com message boards. Fan campaigns to put Speedy back on the air resulted in the return of the animated shorts to Cartoon Network in 2002.[8]

On the Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVD box sets, when the DVD is first loaded, it will be introduced by a disclaimer which states:

The cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in American society. These depictions were wrong then and are still wrong today. While the following does not represent the WB view of society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.[9]

Mexican American tennis great Pancho Gonzales was at the peak of his fame in the years coming up to Speedy's first appearance, and in one cartoon Speedy is seen playing tennis with himself.[10] Cultural theorist William Nericcio states that the name may have been derived from one of the jokes about a Mexican man nicknamed "Speedy Gonzales" either because of his premature ejaculation or of his ability to quickly grab a chance for copulation, though the name of the character was not intended to be derogatory.[11]

So, even though white Anglos thought it was offensive to Mexican-Americans, it turned out not to be the case.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I probably still remember all the songs to that show. My oldest niece loved it, often watched it, and definitely preferred watching it. And she liked having everything be blue.

My youngest use to watch it....so I did too

6c6a55748ffe7a68f7c7bece79d4d3bf.gif

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
White folk are in the business of being offended on behalf of others.
It still stands only white people have argued the definition of Hispanic with me. And white people who have been more concerned about high schools and football teams making references to Native Americans.
But they don't complain about the "fighting Irish" stereotype, however, and I'm not aware of any chastisements made against Notre Dame.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It still stands only white people have argued the definition of Hispanic with me. And white people who have been more concerned about high schools and football teams making references to Native Americans.
But they don't complain about the "fighting Irish" stereotype, however, and I'm not aware of any chastisements made against Notre Dame.

When I first heard of the Hunchback of Notre Dame as a kid, I initially thought that "hunchback" was a position in football. My grandfather was a big Notre Dame fan.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
"Yellow moons, green clovers and blue diamonds!" --Lucky Cereal Nothing beats candy for breakfast when you're a kid.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"Yellow moons, green clovers and blue diamonds!" --Lucky Cereal Nothing beats candy for breakfast when you're a kid.
Been awhile since I thought of that. But yeah. I believe if the Irish weren't white then PC libs would likely be more enraged by it.
It brings to mind a perpetuation of Old/New World stereotypes of the Irish, and not viewing the Celts as equals. It is unacknowledged, but when is the last time they complained of a leprechaun costume? Displays of four leaf clovers? St. Patrick's Day?
And many of them will quickly label you racist for pointing that out. I don't know if it's necessarily true, but I like taking those kind of stabs. Especially because that's what it appears.
I wonder if by the time I'm dead if California will have an ethnic box in medical forms for those of us here of predominantly Celt and Scandinavian heritage who very much must mind the sun even without "mind the sun" medications?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's like how the SJWs killed off Apu on The Simpsons. It's OK
to have stereotypes of Jews, Scots, Frenchies, Aussies, Brazilians,
Christians, blacks, whites, men, gay men, gay women, hillbillies,
veterans, senior citizens, Irsih, etc, etc....but not Hindus or Indians.
They're off limits.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It's like how the SJWs killed off Apu on The Simpsons. It's OK
to have stereotypes of Jews, Scots, Frenchies, Aussies, Brazilians,
Christians, blacks, whites, men, gay men, gay women, hillbillies,
veterans, senior citizens, Irsih, etc, etc....but not Hindus or Indians.
They're off limits.
You lack faith in southern justice warriors, but you're actually not so bad and are turning out to be a pretty good anti anti christ.