• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The (radical) left as terror organization?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
This morning, I heard on the radio that Trump allegedly wants to declare (radical?) left-wing groups as "terror organizations". The German word used was "Antifa", an abbreviation of anti-fascism, which is used to describe left wing activists.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
He's just being an idiot. His Twitter posts of the last few days are both hilarious and very disturbing. He's having some sort of breakdown as he cowardly hides in his bunker from the protesters outside the White House.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
This morning, I heard on the radio that Trump allegedly wants to declare (radical?) left-wing groups as "terror organizations". The German word used was "Antifa" and abbreviation of anti-fascism, which is used to describe left wing activists.

Both radical left and right wing groups should be declared "terror organisations" only if their philosophy and/or actions condones violence and probably if they see themselves as "freedom fighters". That should be a no brainer.

Also, just because a group names itself "Anti Fascist", it does not mean that that group doesn't live by fascist values. Many groups use terms that seem positive in their doctrine and words but their definitions of those terms are opposite to the dictionary definition. 1984 portrays this concept well with the "Ministry of Love" doing things that aren't loving by the normal definition. Words are like a smokescreen. Judge a group rather by their actions.

That is only IF these groups engage in violence.

exchemist

Veteran Member
This morning, I heard on the radio that Trump allegedly wants to declare (radical?) left-wing groups as "terror organizations". The German word used was "Antifa" and abbreviation of anti-fascism, which is used to describe left wing activists.
It seems to be a meaningless gesture, as usual. There is, so I read, no law in the US under which naming a domestic organisation "terrorist" has any significance. US terror legislation applies only to foreign groups.

So, just like Trump's gesture last week to constrain social media, it has no legal force.

Both things are just signalling to make him look tough, for the benefit of his supporters, who won't be sharp enough to notice that nothing will come of either.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Somehow, I don't think Antifa cares what label you give them any more than when you apply the same labels to far right groups.

On a technical basis, his powers of defining are group as a terrorist group is limited to foreign groups. However, Antifa isn't just a "USA" group. (Yeah, this is kinda their own screw up...) So, don't believe what you read in the news -- he certainly can name Antifa (which is international) as one of those groups easily on that basis. Also, because he basically is under emergency powers at this time various rules change and many things don't have to go through the usual process.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Another political card from the Trump stable. If he wins the next election and is returned to the White House it could be very much worse......... he won't be worrying about the voters quite so much....... any of the voters.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
How many people has Antifa killed in terrorist like violence?

How many people have American right wing groups killed in terrorist like violence?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know if Antifa can be associated with other left-wing groups or how they would be defined as "terror organizations." In some cases, Antifa seems to have a very loose and inconsistent definition of what they consider "fascist," so that might be part of the problem. But I don't know if that would make them a "terror organization."

In fact, most of the time when they show up at demonstrations which involve white supremacists, Antifa is usually only a small part of an overall crowd of ordinary Americans coming out in opposition of racism and fascism. So, it's not really necessary to become "Antifa" in order to oppose fascism.