• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Qualities of a God

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure this is a remix of a thread I created a few years back, but for the life of me cannot find it (not that I spent much time looking).

So here it is...

In another thread, a member asked if one can be a god, or if one can know one is a god.

To answer such a question, one would have to know what qualities or attributes a god would have.

So what are the qualities of a god? What qualifications would one have to have to be considered a god?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The Egyptians knew a thing or two....

8A57228E-B0DC-4732-A60D-4F92DF2D77EA.jpeg

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
In another thread, a member asked if one can be a god, or if one can know one is a god.

To answer such a question, one would have to know what qualities or attributes a god would have.

So what are the qualities of a god? What qualifications would one have to have to be considered a god?
God is said to be beyond qualities, some even say

PureX

Veteran Member
By nearly every definition of a god ever devised, a human cannot be a god. There have been many that presumed themselves to be gods and made others play along with it on pain of death. But in the end no one ever really believed them.

On the ether hand, we humans tend to endow people, places, and things with god-like powers even though they don't and shouldn't have them. We are programmed to establish and follow heirarchy, and will tend to do so blindly and automatically. Making whomever sits at the top of the heirarchy the equivalent of a god.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
By nearly every definition of a god ever devised, a human cannot be a god. There have been many that presumed themselves to be gods and made others play along with it on pain of death. But in the end no one ever really believed them.

On the ether hand, we humans tend to endow people, places, and things with god-like powers even though they don't and shouldn't have them. We are programmed to establish and follow heirarchy, and will tend to do so blindly and automatically. Making whomever sits at the top of the heirarchy the equivalent of a god.

I think you may have posted in the wrong thread. This reads like a response to that one and doesn't address the question asked in this one.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
The primary quality of a god or goddess is that they embody some inherent aspect(s) of human nature, or nature.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The one that sticks out to me as a necessary (but not sufficient) qualification for a god:

A god is an object of worship by humans.

Interesting qualification. I'm sure many would agree.

I acknowledge many gods, but worship none. So the qualification doesn't quite fit into my own worldview.

ppp

The one that sticks out to me as a necessary (but not sufficient) qualification for a god:

A god is an object of worship by humans.
Why is "an object of worship by humans" not sufficient? I am not arguing that it is sufficient. Just curious why you say it is not? Agency?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is "an object of worship by humans" not sufficient? I am not arguing that it is sufficient. Just curious why you say it is not? Agency?

Money comes to mind. Money has no agency, yet it is worshipped by atheists and theists alike.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just that I can think of things that are worshipped but considered fairly definitively not to be gods... e.g. certain holy relics.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Right... then that still fits what I'm trying to describe. Those other gods are still objects of human worship, even if the worship isn't being done by you.

I don't disagree.

Would money, as mentioned above, qualify as a god?