• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The pursuit is over

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
That in itself is useful to me, but too scientific and "empty." I need something to believe and do.

So, you're a Buddhist who is agnostic about the existence of a God or Gods existing then? Or are you an agnostic who holds some Buddhist philosophical views?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't either but I do. Maybe it helps my self esteem to think I know myself.

I actually was gonna do that but none of the religions, as interesting as they are, made me want to get up on Sundays to actually go.

I'm 77 and still learning about myself :oops::eek:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I have decided to let the chips fall where they may on my pursuit of truth. Definitive answers about ultimate reality are hard to come by. My chips fell on a personal path that doesn't follow nor adhere to any religion. My path has religious elements but is more of a spiritual journey then anything. So it's never beyond revision or editing. Reality is going to be what it is no matter where I fall on the spectrum of positions. I also can't change where my convictions about it end up being. The only thing I can do is gather valuable information on the topic and see where I fall after seeing such input. So my path comes down to reliable information or lack thereof.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I am working on being mindful. That is important to me. Not sure how to really look within. I like becoming a better person and knowing myself, but I am not sure exactly how to do this.
Congratulations on your decision! Agnosticism is an honest position!
Here is practice in a nutshell:

Simsapa Sutta: The Simsapa Leaves

Basically:
  1. Observe your thoughts as they arise, acknowledge them, and watch them pass. (meditation)
  2. Identify patterns that constitute unsatisfactoriness or suffering: dukkha.
  3. Watch for what causes the patterns to arise, and what causes them to end. (contemplation)
  4. Develop a method of practice to end the unsatisfactoriness/suffering/dukkha. It might involve breaking a bad habit, but oftentimes it will resolve itself once you notice it and understand it. Rituals involving Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration from the eightfold path can be useful when it comes to breaking a habit.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Does Zen involve celestial beings? I want to start meditating.

I am working on being mindful. That is important to me. Not sure how to really look within. I like becoming a better person and knowing myself, but I am not sure exactly how to do this.

It sounds to me that a witness meditation might be helpful. Ram Dass explains it Cultivating the Witness As to specifics, there are a gazillion web sites and people who have ideas about how to do it. That I can't speak to.

But I will say that meditation inevitably brings that along because when I try to meditate all sorts of bodily itches, thoughts and feelings rise up. The idea is to not get caught by them but to witness that they arouse and return to the meditation.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Does Zen involve celestial beings?

If it does, I don't have regard to them. Perhaps one might view a bodhisattva as an embodiment of something (eg Avalokitesvara - compassion) if one finds it useful. Not sure that counts as a celestial being though?

I want to start meditating.

Go on then! You may already know that Zen meditation is called zazen or shikantaza. No doubt tinterweb/youtube is awash with it ...

"Drop the ideas of time and space, body and mind, and just “be” sitting"
- How to Practice Zazen

PS you don't need an exotic position (thinking of your knee) for zazen. It's fine to use a simple upright chair.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
My pursuit to find a religion has ended. (I hope anyway.) There is just nothing out there for me. My philosophy is Buddhism, but not as a religion. Help me be happy with my decision to be agnostic

If by agnostic you mean "a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God." I would say that is a hard line position of faith which is not a rational position to take.
A softer and more sensible position imo is "I don't know, I'll keep open to the possibilities and go forward hopefully". :)

Viker

Häxan
Try me-ism. Or would it be you-ism?
My pursuit to find a religion has ended. (I hope anyway.) There is just nothing out there for me. My philosophy is Buddhism, but not as a religion. Help me be happy with my decision to be agnostic
Agnosticism and Buddhism make a great couple. :p

No one needs a religion or a neat label to conform to. Just do you and don't sweat the rigmarole.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I might be the only person in this thread that finds this news as unfortunate. Even if you cannot find a proper religion to fall back on, I hope you're happy identifying yourself as an agnostic. I was agnostic until I found Earthseed, and now I'm its leading advocate for it on this forum. I know, it does seem that religion makes up a lot of things, but that does not mean you cannot find common ground with others or attend a congregation once in awhile.

If you are content with agnosticism, I think you'll keep that title and stop searching. If you seek any sort of spirituality though, you won't keep that identity. I was not content as an agnostic, but I hope you are. And I don't want to project my feelings on you, so if your pursuit is truly over and you're happy with the way things played out, all the more power to you. :)

Well, I am going to focus on the Buddhism but still not in a theistic sense. I don't see myself believing in a god again, but I still want something to base my life and activities around. I will see what I can do. Thanks!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
If by agnostic you mean "a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God." I would say that is a hard line position of faith which is not a rational position to take.
A softer and more sensible position imo is "I don't know, I'll keep open to the possibilities and go forward hopefully". :)

Actually, that sounds like what I am thinking right now.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It sounds to me that a witness meditation might be helpful. Ram Dass explains it Cultivating the Witness As to specifics, there are a gazillion web sites and people who have ideas about how to do it. That I can't speak to.

But I will say that meditation inevitably brings that along because when I try to meditate all sorts of bodily itches, thoughts and feelings rise up. The idea is to not get caught by them but to witness that they arouse and return to the meditation.
I love Ram Dass. So sad when he passed.

My monkey mind sure gives me fits. I will practice.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
You can feel good about Buddhism. It has, imo, the best explanation for suffering and a real method for addressing it

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Belief is over-rated. Religion has been made toxic.
Check out Noahide Laws for a simple set of life principles. Or the Hawaiian Huna.
Or the Wiccan Rede...“If it harm none, do what you will” Or some Credo that resonates..

River Sea

@Sand Dancer

I accept you with your decision your philosophy is Buddhism and not as a religion. And I accept you with your decision to be agnostic.

I'm for freedom of thought and freedom of speech and freedom to learn.

I can learn from people who's agnostic and with their philosophy is Buddhism

An agnostic can drink from unconditional love and when having philosophy is Buddhism can drink from unconditional love

I allow unconditional love teach me in the midst of my situations

idea

Question Everything

You are only free when you realize you belong no place—you belong every place—no place at all. The price is high. The reward is great,” M. Angelou

Welcome to the nones, non-affiliated :). We're the largest and fastest growing group out there.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I may take it a step further and be atheist. Being open to gods keeps me searching, so it is easier to slam the door on possibilities.

muhammad_isa

I may take it a step further and be atheist. Being open to gods keeps me searching, so it is easier to slam the door on possibilities.
I could never do that, God willing.

I was raised a Christian, and when I got to my teens I got carried away by the world, and did not regularly remember God.
If anybody asked me, I would say that I believed in God, but I didn't want to commit to any particular creed.

I was born again in my 20's as a Muslim, and still a Muslim at 70 years old.
I never feel that I've stopped being a Christian, although some Christians will claim that I can't be a Christian, if I am a Muslim.
..but that is just them being pedantic, imo ;)

Jesus and Muhammad don't "belong" to anybody.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That seems a common way, going from theist to agnostic (often with a detour over deism/pantheism) to atheism.
The really smart ones go even further to Agnosticism. /shameless proselytising. ;-)