• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The pursuit is over

Heyo

Veteran Member
****, not another term! I'm used to using non-theist if pressed. Atheism implies a position in opposition to a position that is irrelevant to me. I prefer the positionless position. :)
Non-theist would also be OK but it has a connotation of non religious. I see it less in opposition to theism than as a continuation of the sequence pan-, poly-, heno-, mono- theist.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
My pursuit to find a religion has ended. (I hope anyway.) There is just nothing out there for me. My philosophy is Buddhism, but not as a religion. Help me be happy with my decision to be agnostic

I might be the only person in this thread that finds this news as unfortunate. Even if you cannot find a proper religion to fall back on, I hope you're happy identifying yourself as an agnostic. I was agnostic until I found Earthseed, and now I'm its leading advocate for it on this forum. I know, it does seem that religion makes up a lot of things, but that does not mean you cannot find common ground with others or attend a congregation once in awhile.

If you are content with agnosticism, I think you'll keep that title and stop searching. If you seek any sort of spirituality though, you won't keep that identity. I was not content as an agnostic, but I hope you are. And I don't want to project my feelings on you, so if your pursuit is truly over and you're happy with the way things played out, all the more power to you. :)

RestlessSoul

My pursuit to find a religion has ended. (I hope anyway.) There is just nothing out there for me. My philosophy is Buddhism, but not as a religion. Help me be happy with my decision to be agnostic

Maybe, rather than looking “out there” for a religion that fits, you could focus more on looking within? In the meantime, you should certainly be happy with where you are right now. Because tomorrow, like all of us, you will be somewhere else anyway. And wherever you are, there’ll you be, waiting for yourself to arrive.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
For some people Buddhism is a religion for others a philosophy. Why can't it be both?
It definitely can be, but some schools of Buddhist have celestial beings. I don't believe that. Bodhisattvas are real people I think, but then again, I need to look into it.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Eat some cake?
Buddhism is often viewed as something more and/or different than a religion. I think partly this is down to the often more restictive notion of what "religion" means.

Cake will hopefully be in my future, although I shouldn't because of my recently elevated LDL.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Knee pain sucks. I hope you are feeling better very soon.

That leads me to wonder if you are not truly happy with that decision? Personally I find you not knowing and saying you don't know to be intellectually honest and that's great. I also know that there is a stream of Buddhism that is compatible with rituals or without rituals. So again that's something that can totally work for you.

But only you can say whether or not you're truly happy with where you are now.

I am right brained, so my creative side doesn't like the analytical aspect of non-theism. It seems empty. I need action and ritual of some sort. Just not into supernatural beings.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Meh, life's a journey. I'll move on from atheism soon as I find something that seems more correct to me.
It's just been a while is all.

;)

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Maybe, rather than looking “out there” for a religion that fits, you could focus more on looking within? In the meantime, you should certainly be happy with where you are right now. Because tomorrow, like all of us, you will be somewhere else anyway. And wherever you are, there’ll you be, waiting for yourself to arrive.

I am working on being mindful. That is important to me. Not sure how to really look within. I like becoming a better person and knowing myself, but I am not sure exactly how to do this.