• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Purpose of Religion

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There appears, at least in my opinion, to be both malevolent and benevolent purposes listed here. To me, which purpose would fall into which category is quite obvious. Do you think others might perceive which is which differently based on their religions affiliation and beliefs?

Sure. Take "speaking truth to power". A lot of what one considers the propriety of that will depend on things like one's religious affiliation, politics. worldview, etc. So maybe Jones doesn't think Smith should "speak truth to power" because he regards the powers that be as appointed or sanctioned by his god.

Earthling

David Henson
Excellent thread.

What is the purpose of religion in general?

I believe religion is a basic concept in general. The strict adherence to a set of beliefs. Principles.

How has it succeeded in its purpose?

It always fails.

How has it failed?

Always by transmogrification. There is sometimes positive change, i.e. growth, but transmogrification is the modus operandi for massive appeal or state sponsorship. For example, with Christianity, the Emperor Constantine. For Confucianism, the Emperor Wu Ti, perhaps, but he seemed to have more of an effect on Taoism. Confucianism was his choice of state religion but he rather fancied the Taoist Alchemist.

Christianity became a series of pagan teachings, mostly Greek philosophy. Taoism was originally an approach to nature, and living in accord with nature whereas Confucianism was an attempt to bridle nature. Judaism as we know it is a series of starkly contrasting teachings, from humility as a basis to it's complete opposite. The Pharisees took the position of the Aaronic priesthood and used them for their own prestige.

Hinduism is just so obviously convoluted. Buddhism is my favorite, in it's simple approach, although it became as convoluted as Hinduism. I like the practical application of the letting go of suffering. Not the discarding, but the letting go. And suffering which could be found in love or admiration of a beautiful scenery. See the Venerable Ajahn Sumedho's dissertation on the four noble truths.

Shintoism was about community and is truthful to itself unlike the others in that it was originally a syncretistic set of rituals and ceremonies centered around the community at planting and harvest. It became superstitious priests hired to bless supermarkets and the like, which, at least, isn't that far removed from it's origins, ironically.

Does the purpose of your individual religion align with the purpose of religion in general? If not, how does it deviate?

My individual religious inclinations do, but at the same time, my specific beliefs in the Bible often bring [edited to make sense: I was trying to say my behavior often brings] reproach upon them, but that is sort of the basis of my beliefs. We are all from sin and fall short. Some people's interpretation of Christianity seems to me to be a show. A hypocritical facade that misses the point. As if Christians don't need Christ. This is arguable, I suppose.

How has your religion succeeded in its individual purpose? How has if failed?

As Paul said, I am strong in spirit but weak in flesh. I suppose that would be expected though as I've said, this is arguable and somewhat complex. Simply put it has succeeded in knowledge but failed in practice.

Assuming a religion has failed in it's purpose, what can its adherents take away from this? What can they change?

That's a good question that is easier said than done. It's a matter of perspective. Does one see themselves as the humble tax collector or the self righteous Pharisee? Luke 18:9-14. I've always perceived myself as the former though at times I come off as the latter. I'm definitely the former.

That humility could be construed as shame, I suppose, but it isn't that my religion, that is, my beliefs bring me unnecessary shame, it's my failure to adhere to them at all times. Interestingly enough, this often leads me to marvel at the hypocrites and their ability to put on a show that, in effect, becomes real.

Last edited:

Earthling

David Henson
Me too.

How about employment, and filling a need, whether
real, perceived, harmful, beneficial, friviloud, ginned up
by advertising or whatever.

I agree with the point you are making about religion being exactly that. An industry. Although I would limit that application to organized religion. And the same could be said for politics. Well, anything, actually, that can be harnessed to the horse brained masses. Opium, Television, Music, Art, Home Improvement, Laundry Detergent . . . anything can be marketed.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What is the purpose of religion in general? How has it succeeded in its purpose? How has it failed?

There is no single general purpose of religion. To an extent, that is a deliberate design feature. In having several different roles, even mutually incompatible ones, religions appeal to groups that would otherwise feel content in being unsupportive of each other.

And as it turns out, one of the most popular roles of religion is a bonding mechanism. A significant and perhaps indispensable part of a sense of community, even of nationality.

A related function is the building of a common vocabulary for people to communicate their hopes, fears and goals among themselves. Not just the words, but also the myths that inform their significance. Even having a clear understanding of how one is frustrated by the people of their own place of living is by no means a trivial goal, but rather a remarkable achievement, and to some extent a form of bonding.

For others (and that is very true here in Brazil) "religion", spoken in a general sense, is mainly about appeal to supernaturalism, sometimes even to open or even automatic defiance of both fact and reason. It may easily degenerate into pride and denial of scientific fact. It is not rare for it to potentialize and deflagrate what can only be described as pathological psychological states. Yet at the same time it offers badly needed hope for people who may be with few or no other sources of such.

Individually-defined varieties of religion also exist. A very significant subset of religions is all about personal journeys and self-discovery. It is also one of the most worthwhile understandings of religion, arguably its best form of all. It connects to motivation, mental health, and sociological care and healing. It is often a slightly hidden feature of otherwise collectivist religious practice.

Slightly less than obvious in this last function is that it is the healing mechanism and self-correction tool for its wider, host creeds. The demographic appeal of many faiths relies on quick yet ultimately hollow spread of catchphrases and promises. Some actually teach that their own worth is dependent on their scriptures and their deities, which IMO can literally never be the truth. Ultimately, a religion is made or broken by what effect it has on people. Nothing else can even hypothetically justify a religion's existence, keeping or survival.

Hawkins

What is the purpose of religion in general? How has it succeeded in its purpose? How has it failed?

Does the purpose of your individual religion align with the purpose of religion in general? If not, how does it deviate? How has your religion succeeded in its individual purpose? How has if failed?

Assuming a religion has failed in it's purpose, what can its adherents take away from this? What can they change?

It's a human need, as a result of not knowing the future. The importance of a religion is that it provides a "solution" for afterlife. We don't know what would happen after death so it all boils down to one's own faith to make a decision. If you believe that nothing can exist beyond that, it remains you own faith to believe so. If you believe that something could exist beyond that, it remains your own faith to believe so. Christianity is about a faith built on human testimonies.