• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Purpose of Prayer

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Prayer in Christianity as i understand it is a personal relationship where the faithful yield to the Holy Spirit and ask for guidance, and strength. It is also a time to pour out your concerns, cares, troubles, and wishes to God. Nevertheless Thy will be done not mine.

Prayer is to be in accordance with the will of God in doing these things.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
It was suggested in another thread by one of our Aussie members that Americans use prayer like a magic wand to cure ills, and suggested that prayer doesn't work that way.

What is the purpose of prayer for you? I understand that many use it as a means of worship and reverence, but does prayer work to intervene in matter such as illness, finance, etc? Does a petition to God actually make Him reconsider the path He has laid out for an individual? Or does it work as more of a placebo affect for the person one is praying for?

What are your thoughts on the purpose of prayer?
the purpose of prayer is to strengthen your thoughts with whoever your thoughts think is also in the room, i.e. your family or God.

tosca1

I understand that many use it as a means of worship and reverence, but does prayer work to intervene in matter such as illness, finance, etc?

Absolutely!
I can say it with confidence - based on my NUMEROUS experiences!
God does get involved in our everyday trivial realities! Even in finances - yes, I've personally experienced that!

Many people give testimonies - and because of what I've experienced myself - I believe them!

I've even had a question answered - in a matter of hours!
In such a way that there could be no doubt that God was definitely answering my question!
It was kinda humorous too, the way it was done.

Believe it or not, He even get involves in forums :) - at least, I've had some experience related to that, too!

He can also apparently convey a message of approval if He's pleased with something - He's done that - and it happened at church! The pastor asked us if there's anything we are thankful for, and I said I want to thank Him for this calm and inner peace that I feel! The pastor looked at me oddly....later, it became clear that was the subject of his sermon - about calm and inner peace that one feels when one is doing something that is pleasing to God!

If God knows everything - even our thoughts and what's in our hearts - surely, there is no need to pray and ask, right? After all, He already knows what we want.

The purpose of prayer - imho - is to demonstrate our trust and dependence on God.
It is humbleness on our part when we pray.
It is also "talking" to God.....developing that personal relationship with God.
I think, as we get more into it, the more we get attuned with Him.

Since praying conveys faith and trust in God - it is therefore a way of glorifying God.

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

There may be many reasons for prayer. I would say however that the way to pray is NOT to repeat ssomething over and over. Would you call someone on the phone and repeat the same paragraph many times without stopping? Sounds silly doesn't it? Do you think God can't hear you the first time? Pray like you are talking to someone close to you.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
It was suggested in another thread by one of our Aussie members that Americans use prayer like a magic wand to cure ills, and suggested that prayer doesn't work that way.

What is the purpose of prayer for you? I understand that many use it as a means of worship and reverence, but does prayer work to intervene in matter such as illness, finance, etc? Does a petition to God actually make Him reconsider the path He has laid out for an individual? Or does it work as more of a placebo affect for the person one is praying for?

Why over-complicate prayer? My Father lives, I converse with Him, interact with Him.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Gandhi felt that God informs us through deeply-felt reoccurring-feelings, and that if we keep on having those feelings, we should act on them. However, to make certain that it's not from another source, we need to first stop and contemplate if what we are inclined to do is moral and, if so, then do it and not make excuses not to.

Following his advice very much changed my life.

To give thanks and tell that I am sorry that I have not done everything as I should have.

Bible also tells that if person lacks wisdom, he can ask it from God. So, I think prayer is also for that purpose.

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him.
James 1:5

But, I think it is good to understand also this:

You lust, and don't have. You kill, covet, and can't obtain. You fight and make war. You don't have, because you don't ask. You ask, and don't receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it for your pleasures.
James 4:2-3

sealchan

All of the above. I think that prayer does get used like a magic wand, but I think that that becomes a self defeating undertaking. Prayer for me includes worship but also acceptance on my part of what is to come. And when I pray for someone else I pray for their ability to accept whatever outcome comes.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Personally, I don't use it. But I know it can be comforting for some people.

The NT expressly promises Christians that faith can move mountains, that you can knock and it shall be opened, ask and it shall be given, that you can cure the sick by a simple prayer ritual, and so on. As long as you don't take them literally, such appeals to magic may not be harmful.