• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The protests amid the pandemic (UK)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The guy's point is cromulent, ie, that white people just don't
warrant being in the news when wrongfully shot by cops.
So there's a huge mis-perception that the sole problem is
racism, rather than fundamentally dangerous policing.

Let's consider the Justine Damon case he covers.
Shooting of Justine Damond - Wikipedia

I added the underlining in the excerpt......
On the night of the shooting, Damond called 9-1-1 at 11:27 p.m., and again eight minutes later, 11:35 p.m.[25] She reported that she thought she heard a woman either having sex or being raped.[26] Dispatchers categorized the call as "unknown trouble: female screaming"—a relatively low priority.[27] Officers responded to the area, the low-crime neighborhood of Fulton in southwestern Minneapolis,[27] and found no suspects or signs of the suspected rape that had prompted Damond's telephone calls to 9-1-1.[28]

Officers Noor and Harrity, after driving through an alley with the lights on their police Ford Explorer off, heard no signs of criminal activity.[27] As the two partners prepared to leave, Noor "entered 'Code Four' into the cruiser's computer, meaning the scene was safe."[27] Harrity would indicate "that he was startled by a loud sound near the squad," and immediately, then, Damond approached the police car's driver-side window.[29] Harrity drew his weapon, but, pointed it downward, did not fire.[30] Noor, however, fired once through the open window, fatally striking Damond in the chest.[27][29] Damond was unarmed and barefoot.[27] The officers attempted CPR to no avail; Damond died 20 minutes later.[31]

Harrity later told a supervisor, "We both got spooked."[27] At Noor's trial, Harrity testified of hearing "something hit the car and I also hear some sort of murmur," and that he feared an "ambush," but deemed it "premature" to use deadly force.[30] Noor testified that he did not see Damond's hand or any object in the hand, but nonetheless believed that his partner "feared for his life" and "there was a threat."[32] At Noor's trial, prosecutors presented evidence that Damond's fingerprints were not on the police car, suggesting she never made contact with it, and prosecutors called two expert witnesses on the police use of force, who testified that Noor's decision to shoot was unreasonable.[33]

Both officers had their body cameras switched off.[34] Minneapolis introduced police body cameras in 2016, but their activation was not mandatory in all situations.[35] No audio or video recordings captured the killing,[27] although a 16-year-old cyclist took cell-phone video of the scene after the shooting.[36]

Cop culture has too much fear of civilians. And their response is too often
"when afraid, shoot". Making the force more diverse cannot address this problem.
Noor, the fast tracked diversity hire, killed an unarmed barefoot pajama clad white
woman. Sure, sure...it's a single incident. But it illustrates the larger picture that
many more whites are killed by cops, but both black & white folk are largely
unaware of the danger police pose to all.

Notanumber

A Free Man

On the night of the shooting, Damond called 9-1-1 at 11:27 p.m., and again eight minutes later, 11:35 p.m.[25] She reported that she thought she heard a woman either having sex or being raped.[26] Dispatchers categorized the call as "unknown trouble: female screaming"—a relatively low priority.[27] Officers responded to the area, the low-crime neighborhood of Fulton in southwestern Minneapolis,[27] and found no suspects or signs of the suspected rape that had prompted Damond's telephone calls to 9-1-1.[28]

Officers Noor and Harrity, after driving through an alley with the lights on their police Ford Explorer off, heard no signs of criminal activity.[27] As the two partners prepared to leave, Noor "entered 'Code Four' into the cruiser's computer, meaning the scene was safe."[27] Harrity would indicate "that he was startled by a loud sound near the squad," and immediately, then, Damond approached the police car's driver-side window.[29] Harrity drew his weapon, but, pointed it downward, did not fire.[30] Noor, however, fired once through the open window, fatally striking Damond in the chest.[27][29] Damond was unarmed and barefoot.[27] The officers attempted CPR to no avail; Damond died 20 minutes later.[31]

Harrity later told a supervisor, "We both got spooked."[27] At Noor's trial, Harrity testified of hearing "something hit the car and I also hear some sort of murmur," and that he feared an "ambush," but deemed it "premature" to use deadly force.[30] Noor testified that he did not see Damond's hand or any object in the hand, but nonetheless believed that his partner "feared for his life" and "there was a threat."[32] At Noor's trial, prosecutors presented evidence that Damond's fingerprints were not on the police car, suggesting she never made contact with it, and prosecutors called two expert witnesses on the police use of force, who testified that Noor's decision to shoot was unreasonable.[33]

Both officers had their body cameras switched off.[34] Minneapolis introduced police body cameras in 2016, but their activation was not mandatory in all situations.[35] No audio or video recordings captured the killing,[27] although a 16-year-old cyclist took cell-phone video of the scene after the shooting.[36]

Cop culture has too much fear of civilians. And their response is too often
"when afraid, shoot". Making the force more diverse cannot address this problem.
Noor, the fast tracked diversity hire, killed an unarmed barefoot pajama clad white
woman. Sure, sure...it's a single incident. But it illustrates the larger picture that
many more whites are killed by cops, but both black & white folk are largely
unaware of the danger police pose to all.

Do you think he was wrong to use Justine Damond as an example to point out how people can easily jump on bandwagons?

I must admit that I had never heard of Justine Damond before he brought her name up but I would never join a street protest in any case.

Tambourine

That sounds like the case got a lot of media attention.

Also, note how the officer got 12 years in prison for the crime, and also received additional blame for being Muslim.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you think he was wrong to use Justine Damond as an example to point out how people can easily jump on bandwagons?
No, her death exemplifies the problem that wrongful killing of whites is largely ignored.
But I do thing he was wrong to be so lecturing in an off-putting way..
I must admit that I had never heard of Justine Damond before he brought her name up but I would never join a street protest in any case.
She wasn't newsworthy.
Not only white, but a foreigner too.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That sounds like the case got a lot of media attention.

Also, note how the officer got 12 years in prison for the crime, and also received additional blame for being Muslim.
The perp & others claimed discrimination.
But consider that he killed a woman who posed no threat.
12 years is not that harsh a sentence.
And remember that our court system is a crap shoot, ie,
results vary widely because judges & jurors are individuals.

But I disagree that this shooting got a lot of media attention.
Most people are unaware of the incident. Sure, sure...it was
in the news, but it wasn't headline news in the way that
Floyd's death was....or Freddie Gray...or others who gain
fame accompanied by even more news about protests.

Notanumber

A Free Man
No, her death exemplifies the problem that wrongful killing of whites is largely ignored.
But I do thing he was wrong to be so lecturing in an off-putting way..

She wasn't newsworthy.
Not only white, but a foreigner too.

I would rather have lecturing than looting.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Shock horror

Hard Right commentator doesn't like BBC - no he doesn't deserve death threats, but that's all they are ..threats ... remember Jo Cox

You cannot keep using Jo Cox as your get out of jail card forever, much as you would like to.

He is not a hard right commentator. He is a very nice man.

Unlike the BBC, he tells the truth.

Some people would call death threats a hate crime.

Altfish

Veteran Member
You cannot keep using Jo Cox as your get out of jail card forever, much as you would like to.

He is not a hard right commentator. He is a very nice man.

Unlike the BBC, he tells the truth.

Some people would call death threats a hate crime.
Virtually everyone of his videos gets debunked on YouTube - he is not very bright and focused on one thing, Brexit - he think No Deal is a deal.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Virtually everyone of his videos gets debunked on YouTube - he is not very bright and focused on one thing, Brexit - he think No Deal is a deal.

He has a massive following on YouTube and even the biased BBC has given him airtime.

If I lived in London, he would have my vote, should he decide to stand for mayor.

Tambourine

The perp & others claimed discrimination.
But consider that he killed a woman who posed no threat.
12 years is not that harsh a sentence.
And remember that our court system is a crap shoot, ie,
results vary widely because judges & jurors are individuals.

But I disagree that this shooting got a lot of media attention.
Most people are unaware of the incident. Sure, sure...it was
in the news, but it wasn't headline news in the way that
Floyd's death was....or Freddie Gray...or others who gain
fame accompanied by even more news about protests.
12 years is a harsh sentence in comparison to what happened to e.g. the murderers of Freddie Gray, who did not even face criminal charges.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
12 years is a harsh sentence in comparison to what happened to e.g. the murderers of Freddie Gray, who did not even face criminal charges.
Was it though? Noor intended to kill someone.
Freddie's killers were merely reckless.
Also 3 of the 6 killers of Gray were black.
It would've been a political nightmare if black
cops were convicted of killing a black victim.

Tambourine

Was it though? Noor intended to kill someone.
Freddie's killers were merely reckless.
Also 3 of the 6 killers of Gray were black.
It would've been a political nightmare if black
cops were convicted of killing a black victim.
I don't quite get what you are trying to insinuate here. Could you unpack this?