• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Protestant Hell

Polaris

I realize there are many different flavors of Protestants, but I'm curious to hear their beliefs concerning hell.

Are people who lived a decent life, yet were members of some other faith (Islam, Buddism, etc) going to spend eternity in hell because they failed to accept Christ?

What about the people who never were given a reasonable chance to hear about Christ and his teachings?

How do you reconcile your belief in a loving God with your belief that God will eternally confine those to hell who made a few poor choices in this infintessimally small period of time we call mortality?

kmkemp

I realize there are many different flavors of Protestants, but I'm curious to hear their beliefs concerning hell.

Are people who lived a decent life, yet were members of some other faith (Islam, Buddism, etc) going to spend eternity in hell because they failed to accept Christ?

Yes.

What about the people who never were given a reasonable chance to hear about Christ and his teachings?

Romans 1:20
20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

I don't think there is the same standard for those that have never heard the Gospel message, but clearly they are not all saved. God reveals Himself in many ways.

How do you reconcile your belief in a loving God with your belief that God will eternally confine those to hell who made a few poor choices in this infintessimally small period of time we call mortality?

God is also a God of justice and mercy. Mercy is only defined through our notion that some have it better than others. If we all go to heaven, there is no mercy. God is also a god of justice. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. We deserve spiritual death. Only through God's grace have we a way out. Even better, it is a gift. We don't have to do anything but put our faith in Him.

Paul says that the potter can do what He will with his creation. He calls some and not others. I don't know why He picked me, but I am eternally grateful and at the same time mournful for those that He didn't call.

Polaris

kmkemp said:

Really? That sure doesn't sound like the punishment fits the crime. So the person...

- chooses to be Muslim because it honestly makes sense to him
- chooses to live a good life
- yet must suffer an eternity in hell because he didn't happen to choose the "true" religion

That's sure sounds like a God who is neither just nor merciful.

kmkemp said:
Only through God's grace have we a way out. Even better, it is a gift. We don't have to do anything but put our faith in Him.

But it's only a free gift for some (the ones he happened to "call")? Where is the justice and mercy in that?

Polaris

Mormons and Jehovah witness do believe in hell. We just define it differently. I disagree with how JWs define hell too. The thought that anyone will spend eternity in hell for displaying some poor judgement in this fickle mortal life simply makes no sense and denies both the justice and mercy of God. We should definitely be held accountable for our poor choices, but eternity in hell? It makes absolutely no sense.

i do not think WE should judge who is or is not going ( God will judge),
just stick with the scriptures.
I agree. I just find it interesting how many Protestants are so eager to point out who is going to hell.

rocka21

Brother Rock
Protestants like who?

Joel Osteen, Billy Graham, Oral Roberts?

are they so EAGER to point out who is going to hell, or do they preach the Love and cross of Christ?

Bishka

Veteran Member
one thing you will find in common with most cults ( i am about to get hammered for that one!)

they do not believe that people go to hell, I.E. mormons and Jehovahs witness.

As Polaris has mentioned, we do believe in Hell; but just a bit differently then you. By the way, cult can be applied to any religious worship -- it's not exclusively for faiths that you think lead away from God.

Polaris

Protestants like who?

Joel Osteen, Billy Graham, Oral Roberts?

are they so EAGER to point out who is going to hell, or do they preach the Love and cross of Christ?

No guys more like the Bill Keller type. There are several similar types on this forum. As I mentioned in my OP there are many different flavors of Protestants, many of which are perfectly reasonable. Some however are not.

rocka21

Brother Rock
I believe you make choices while you are on this earth, and them choices have concequences.

you believe in Heaven and Hell by FAITH.

if i die, and go to an LDS (hell), where is my faith? there i will find out you are right and convert automatic. it takes no faith, i just find out when i die. thats your " second chance" right?

no , choose this day which God you will serve. you make the choice now , by faith, right or wrong we will find out in the end. WITH NO DO OVERS!

Polaris

if i die, and go to an LDS (hell), where is my faith? there i will find out you are right and convert automatic. it takes no faith, i just find out when i die. thats your " second chance" right?

You completely missed it.

God knows our hearts and will judge us accordingly. If you flat out reject the truth or neglect to make an honest attempt to find it, He'll know it and will likely take that into consideration at the Bar of Judgement.

Polaris

So you are now contending that some will not get a second chance??? I don't understand.

In the end "every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess" that Jesus is the Christ. In the end all will know the truth. The question is by which path did we come to the truth. Were we honest in our search for truth and receptive when we encountered it? Or we're we stubborn and faithless until the truth was absolutely obvious? Only God knows and He'll judge us accordingly.

kmkemp

In the end "every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess" that Jesus is the Christ. In the end all will know the truth. The question is by which path did we come to the truth. Were we honest in our search for truth and receptive when we encountered it? Or we're we stubborn and faithless until the truth was absolutely obvious? Only God knows and He'll judge us accordingly.

What punishment could there possibly be then if they will end up in heaven irregardless of their doubting? What do you mean by "He'll judge us accordingly"?

Polaris

What punishment could there possibly be then if they will end up in heaven irregardless of their doubting? What do you mean by "He'll judge us accordingly"?

Heaven and hell is not some black and white, good and bad, existance. There are various degrees of heavenly glory. Depending on how faithful we are we will inherit a certain portion of glory.

It makes no sense to have a single threshold that dictates who's bound for heaven and who's bound for hell. There are many different levels of righteousness and therefore many different levels of glory.

Those who were not valiant in seeking and accepting the truth will not receive the highest degree of glory -- that is their punishment.

SoyLeche

meh...
So you are now contending that some will not get a second chance??? I don't understand.
It's not so much a second chance at all - it's more of a chance.

Since I'm not in any position to say who has and hasn't had a chance - so I'll give most everyone the benefit of the doubt and say that they'll have a chance in the next life.

Also, I doubt that it will be obvious when we die that the Mormons are right (assuming we are, of course :) ). I would think that it would still require a good amount of faith - probably just about as much as it requires here.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Paul says that the potter can do what He will with his creation. He calls some and not others. I don't know why He picked me, but I am eternally grateful and at the same time mournful for those that He didn't call.
More the that lovely "might makes right" philosophy. :sarcastic

In the end "every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess" that Jesus is the Christ.

I am not so sure I will bow.

rocka21

Brother Rock
It's not so much a second chance at all - it's more of a chance.

Since I'm not in any position to say who has and hasn't had a chance - so I'll give most everyone the benefit of the doubt and say that they'll have a chance in the next life.

Also, I doubt that it will be obvious when we die that the Mormons are right (assuming we are, of course :) ). I would think that it would still require a good amount of faith - probably just about as much as it requires here.

your answers are very vauge.

why not go with the description Jesus gave in Luke 16.

JayHawes

There is only one hell, no matter how many different "flavors" some people may MAKE UP. Hell is separated into Different sections.

Hell (Hades) is the holding place for souls.

There is also a part called Tartarus, where the angels who fell after Lucifer, and created the Nephlim burn forever.

There is another part called Abraham's Bosom, this was the place where OT saints went to await God, Jesus went there and carried them up into heaven.

Another part is the Bottomless pit, where many shall be thrown.

The rest of hell is the place of suffering, it is in it that certain people suffer different things based on their most haneous wrongs, and iniquities.

All of hell will one day be turned over into the Lake of Fire, where the punishable will be punished. May God have mercy on their souls.

SoyLeche

meh...
your answers are very vauge.

why not go with the description Jesus gave in Luke 16.
Because that was a parable and not meant to be taken literally.

Until I die and actually see what the next life is like I'm going to keep it vague.