• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The prophets tell us that THE SCRIBES HAD CHANGED THE GOD'S LAW

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Just as a clarification, the "law" in both the OT and the NT almost always refers to the Mosaic Laws, which are not just 10 but are 613. Even though Moses came down from Sinai with just the first ten written on tablets, right afterward he continues on with the giving more of the Mosaic Law and stating that they also were from God.

However, sometimes the word "law" may be used in a different context, thus one has to be careful and see how it's being used.

Porque77

The Gospel is God's Law
Just as a clarification, the "law" in both the OT and the NT almost always refers to the Mosaic Laws, which are not just 10 but are 613...
No. The true Law that God gave to Moses is only the law of the Gospel, not all the mandates and laws of the Old Testament.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No. The true Law that God gave to Moses is only the law of the Gospel, not all the mandates and laws of the Old Testament.
So, the OT is to be disregarded and discarded? If that's supposedly the case, why did the Church keep it when the Church canon was ultimately selected?

The word "law" is repeated 865 times in the Bible, and in almost all cases it refers to the Mosaic Law as found in Torah.

Porque77

The Gospel is God's Law
Matthew 7:12 has nothing to do with
Matthew 5:1-19.. Nice try

In Matthew 5:17..Jesus had this to say..

17--"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil"

The Prophets that Jesus speaks about..are the old testament/scriptures Prophets.

The law that Jesus speaks about.. .is the law of the Kingdom of heaven...
Jesus teaches us that the Law and the prophets, of which he speaks in Matthew 5:17, is this:

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets". (Matthew 7:12)

And the true writings of the prophets are from the prophets of the Kingdom of Heaven, for they also announced the Gospel, because the law of the Gospel is the God's law since always and forever. There is no other true law of God .

PearlSeeker

Just as a clarification, the "law" in both the OT and the NT almost always refers to the Mosaic Laws, which are not just 10 but are 613. Even though Moses came down from Sinai with just the first ten written on tablets, right afterward he continues on with the giving more of the Mosaic Law and stating that they also were from God.

However, sometimes the word "law" may be used in a different context, thus one has to be careful and see how it's being used.

Strong's Hebrew: 8451. תּוֹרָה (torah) -- direction, instruction, law

Faithofchristian

Jesus teaches us that the Law and the prophets, of which he speaks in Matthew 5:17, is this:

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets". (Matthew 7:12)

And the true writings of the prophets are from the prophets of the Kingdom of Heaven, for they also announced the Gospel, because the law of the Gospel is the God's law since always and forever. There is no other true law of God .

There is the law of the kingdom of heaven.
Unto which Jesus Christ given in
Matthew 5:1-19.

Angel_Isaac

This thread IMO is one of the most life changing and meaningful. IF we can just all remember one fundamental principle that necessarily takes us back to the beginning. That being that whether you seek to do good or you do evil as measured by "law" you are EATING FROM THE WRONG TREE and it's killing you. The desire to do good IS the presence of evil. They are the SAME fruit. Consequently, since we continue to eat from the tree of knowledge like children, debating and arguing differences and laws and right and wrong we and we remain dead.

Porque77

The Gospel is God's Law
Untrue. Ask any Jew.
Jesus Christ, when preached the Gospel, is who teached us the true Law of God
There is the law of the kingdom of heaven.
Unto which Jesus Christ given in
Matthew 5:1-19.
You are not attending to what I tell you:

Porque77

The Gospel is God's Law
Jesus was born and lived to teach us the true commandments of God that men should keep, which are the commandments that Jesus taught us when he preached the Gospel, and not the Old Testament commands that ordered men to harm and kill people.

Your statement doesn’t address my point. Try again.
What is your point?

Like I said that of Matthew 7:12 has nothing at all to do with
Matthew 5:1-19..
It is not true, because both texts tell us about the Law and the prophets. Matthew 5: 17-18 tell us about the Law and the prophets and tells us that Jesus did not come to abolish it, and Matthew 7:12 teaches us that the Law and the prophets is this:

sooda

Veteran Member

The laws and rituals that were written in Leviticus and Deuteronomy during and after the Babylonian exile were for the purpose of giving the Hebrews an identity to keep them separate from the Gentiles and Canaanites.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
What is your point?
My point is that you’re statement is untrue. The Mosaic Law has nothing to do with Jesus, as they appear in the Hebrew texts. Jesus does mention that he came to fulfill the Law. But that has no bearing on Jews, for whom the Law was written.

your assertion is too broad and from a singular perspective. You’re not taking into account the Jewish perspective, which is valid.

Porque77

The Gospel is God's Law
So when God gave Israel the law at Sinai, it wasn't the true law? God fooled them? God gave them a false law??? Sounds like a bad God.
God gave Moses the true Law of God. But later, the scribes changed it into lies, as teaches us Jeremiah 8, 7-8:

"...but my people know not the ordinance of the LORD. "How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us'? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes has made it into a lie". (Jeremiah 8:7-8)

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
God gave Moses the true Law of God. But later, the scribes changed it into lies, as teaches us Jeremiah 8, 7-8:

"...but my people know not the ordinance of the LORD. "How can you say, 'We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us'? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes has made it into a lie". (Jeremiah 8:7-8)
In Jesus' day, they had the Torah intact, just as you have it intact in your Christian Bible. It is the Word of God, spoken by the LORD directly to Moses to share with the People of Israel. Yes or no?

Porque77

The Gospel is God's Law

In Jesus' day, they had the Torah intact, just as you have it intact in your Christian Bible. It is the Word of God, spoken by the LORD directly to Moses to share with the People of Israel. Yes or no?
No, the Law and the commandments spoken by the LORD are not all those that are written in the Old Testament, because the scribes changed the God's Law into lies, as teaches us Jeremiah 8, 7-8. And there are many precepts of men in the Old Testament.

The Law that God had really given to Moses is not the Old Testament mandates that ordered men sacrificies, slavery and to harm and kill people.

The Law that God had really given to Moses is what Jesus taught us when He preached the Gospel, because He Himself said that the Law and the prophets is this:

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7: 12)

This is Law that JesusChrist came not to abolished and the true God's Law

And the commandments of the LORD are not all those that are written in the Old Testament, but those that Jesus Christ teaches us in the Gospel, because Jesus taught that the commandments are these:

"if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19:16-22