• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Proof of Truth

robtex

Veteran Member
Lightkeeper said:
Religion is basically about personal process. The fact that there is personal process is truth. The problem is we take our eyes off of the process and focus on things that are unnecessary to the process. If you want to return a tennis ball you focus on the ball not how the other person hit it.
1) how do you focus on the ball. What personal things do you do to focus on the ball and taking those processes:

2) How do you apply them to God. Both the ball and God are objective by conceputal design. It would be reasonable to think that the same techniques used to the tennis ball should apply to God.

Pah

Uber all member
Didn't anyone get the idea that T. M. Moore thought ("we not only can prove the truth of our beliefs") that proof was obtainable? What would be his proof? or is he just full of hot air?

Lightkeeper

robtex said:
1) how do you focus on the ball. What personal things do you do to focus on the ball and taking those processes:

2) How do you apply them to God. Both the ball and God are objective by conceputal design. It would be reasonable to think that the same techniques used to the tennis ball should apply to God.
You took your focus off the ball.

robtex

Veteran Member
Oh sorry Pah right the article. He is using love to prove God. Because we can prove God therfore love exits is the summation of that article.. Like you have pointed out to us on this forum before love is a subjective emotion and as such it is not a reasonable tool to prove the objective entity of God. Love is subjective and God as an entity is objective. I added once that using love to prove the existance of god makes as much sense as using pride to prove the existance of water.

the appeal to emotions is at attempt in my view to formulate people's wants via their emotional needs instead of their perception of reality.

At one point he says " Only the gospel of Jesus Christ reaches the hearts of people with power to renew them in love for God and one another." Suggesting that God is the median for the emotion of love and the two may not be seperatable. This forced merger is not built upon by any premise other than faith and thus qualifies only as faith which is to say that which one believes but is unevidencable and thus unprovable.

linwood

pah said:
Didn't anyone get the idea that T. M. Moore thought ("we not only can prove the truth of our beliefs") that proof was obtainable? What would be his proof? or is he just full of hot air?

If you read post # 3 Pah you`ll see that I got it.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
robtex said:
Love is subjective and God as an entity is objective.
If we are referring to love as the feeling of affection or desire, then I agree, love is subjective. But if we regard love in the more Christian sense, as charity, then it should be regarded as an absolute, and not relative to personal opinion.

robtex

Veteran Member
atofel how is your can divorce the emotion of love from the constraints and characteristics of other emotions like jealously, happiness, pride or lust? An emotion's existance can not prove the existance of a supernational being anymore than it can prove the existance of you or I.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
robtex said:
atofel how is your can divorce the emotion of love from the constraints and characteristics of other emotions like jealously, happiness, pride or lust? An emotion's existance can not prove the existance of a supernational being anymore than it can prove the existance of you or I.
I am not speaking of the emotion of love. I am talking about the act of love... charity. An act of love can take place without out there being any emotion of love.

robtex

Veteran Member
atofel said:
I am not speaking of the emotion of love. I am talking about the act of love... charity. An act of love can take place without out there being any emotion of love.
as opposed to the act of pride or happiness? I am lost as to where you are going wtih this? :confused:

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
robtex said:
as opposed to the act of pride or happiness? I am lost as to where you are going wtih this? :confused:
Love has multiple meanings. One is an emotion (affection) and one is a motivation (charity). Unlike how an act of pride comes from the emotion of pride, or an act of happiness comes from the emotion of happiness, an act of love (charity) does not necessarily come from the emotion of love (affection). It is a different thing all together. In fact, charity has very little to do with emotion at all and everything to do with something else. It is that something else that is the objective, absolute thing of love.