• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Prodigal Son Returnith

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Well, three weeks ago I sat down with our local priest at the church my wife and I have been attending for over 40 years now, and I asked him if I can have his blessing to resume the sacraments, and after a 15-20 minute discussion, he gave it to me. At the end of the discussion, he then said he'd like me to consider co-teaching the RCIA program like I did for 14 years several decades ago.

I also told him about my theological background, that I will always have a lot of questions in the faith area because of my science orientation, but that I have no problem with commitment to the Church. Over the last 1 & 1/2 years at the church, I've been very active, participating in two seminars and working with our holiday food distribution.

I know my Jewish friends here at RF will be disappointed when they hear the news, but I have to go where I think it's right, and this very much seems like the right fit for me. I've been graced to have some good friends and family that have helped me on my way, and some of them are right here at RF, so thank you so much for that.

Don't be shy about asking me any questions because I'm pretty much an open book-- for better or worse.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
@metis, I realize that the decision is filled with great meditation, consideration and study... and a question now and then. :)

I understand that much of it might be very personal so I even hesitate to ask... but I ask...

What was the journey like? (do you have a book? :D )

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My best wishes.
As I am someone who was born in the Catholic faith, I wonder what draws people into that faith.

I mean...since I can ask questions, one is "what convinced you that Catholicism is the right faith?"

metis

@metis, I realize that the decision is filled with great meditation, consideration and study... and a question now and then. :)

I understand that much of it might be very personal so I even hesitate to ask... but I ask...

What was the journey like? (do you have a book? :D )
I tend to make important decisions very s-l-o-w-l-y, and this process literally took almost three years. For the first two years, I had no clue where this "calling" was leading me. I started with a "premonition" (best word I can find for it) that involved an old girlfriend I had over 50 years ago who literally changed my life in so many different ways. But I had no clue why these premonitions were occurring, only that it became very clear after a while that they were very real and could not possibly be just a product of my imagination or coincidence. It actually was depressing me as I just couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

The breakthrough occurred a year ago last April when I followed through on repeated strong feelings that I needed to return to the Catholic church on campus whereas I went with my girlfriend to my first mass and was very impressed as I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant church that I had stopped attending. I didn't know what to expect. Was I just going to sit in the pew with tears in my eyes reminiscing about her? I certainly didn't want that to happen.

But the mass and the church was quite different than what I had experienced 50 years ago. It went from be a very solemn service to being very joyous and uplifting. And then it dawned on me what this was about.

50 years ago, I needed a sense of direction in my life as I had a hard time figuring out who I really was and what was important. My old girlfriend filling that in for me as she was also very reserved. But then a short bit later I had fallen in love with my wife-to-be, and she was like the new church and a better match to my rather goofy personality. Both were very devout Italian Catholics that were the most loving and compassionate people I had ever run across, often attending mass by themselves.

But then the first question: why this? As I tried to digest all that was happening, I kept on returning to the thought that I believe the Boss was leading back to the church that had meant so much to me 50 years ago and then now. When I started getting more and more involved in the church activities, it felt and feels so right. And it's not because of my admiration for my old girlfriend and my wife-- it just seems to be a better fit for me much like I assume your current church is a better fit for you.

But what hasn't changed for me are my strong feelings about ecumenism and my constant questioning-- but commitment I can do.

Thanks for asking, my friend.

Last edited:

metis

My best wishes.
As I am someone who was born in the Catholic faith, I wonder what draws people into that faith.

I mean...since I can ask questions, one is "what convinced you that Catholicism is the right faith?"
Thanks for asking so see my post above.

I am not a believer in a "one size fits all" approach to life. I'm much more a "vive la difference"-type of person whereas we each need to find our own niche. To me, any place that can make us each a better person is the place to go.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I tend to make important decisions very s-l-o-w-l-y, and this process literally took almost three years. For the first two years, I had no clue where this "calling" was leading me. I started with a "premonition" (best word I can find for it) that involved an old girlfriend I had over 50 years ago who literally changed my life in so many different ways. But I had no clue why these premonitions were occurring, only that it became very clear after a while that they were very real and could not possibly be just a product of my imagination or coincidence. It actually was depressing me as I just couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

The breakthrough occurred a year ago last April when I followed through on repeated strong feelings that I needed to return to the Catholic church on campus whereas I went with my girlfriend to my first mass and was very impressed as I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant church that I had stopped attending. I didn't know what to expect. Was I just going to sit in the pew with tears in my eyes reminiscing about her? I certainly didn't want that to happen.

But the mass and the church was quite different than what I had experienced 50 years ago. It went from be a very solemn service to being very joyous and uplifting. And then it dawned on me what this was about.

50 years ago, I needed a sense of direction in my life as I had a hard time figuring out who I really was and what was important. My old girlfriend filling that in for me as she was also very reserved. But then a short bit later I had fallen in love with my wife-to-be, and she was like the new church and a better match to my rather goofy personality. Both were very devout Italian Catholics that were the most loving and compassionate people I had ever run across, often attending mass by themselves.

But then the first question: why this? As I tried to digest all that was happening, I kept on returning to the thought that I believe the Boss was leading back to the church that had meant so much to me 50 years ago and then now. When I started getting more and more involved in the church activities, it felt and feels so right. And it's not because of my admiration for my old girlfriend and my wife-- it just seems to be a better fit for me much like I assume your current church is a better fit for you.

But what hasn't changed for me are my strong feelings about ecumenism and my constant questioning-- but commitment I can do.

Thanks for asking, my friend.
That is just beautiful!

Thank you.