• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The problems with Islam and possible solutions?

InvestigateTruth

Salam

Imam Ali (a) stated this about the Quran:

But the Prophet left among you the same which other Prophets left among their peoples, because Prophets do not leave them untended (in dark) without a clear path and a standing ensign, namely the Book of your Creator clarifying its permission and prohibitions, its obligations and discretion, its repealing injunctions and the repealed ones, its permissible matters and compulsory ones, its particulars and the general ones, its lessons and illustrations, its long and the short ones, its clear and obscure ones, detailing its abbreviations and clarifying its obscurities.

Yes, exactly. This is why it is a false idea to believe Jesus or Moses did not leave a legitimate Holy Books after themselves. In another words, the idea that the Bible is a corrupted or illegitimate Book, Is false.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, exactly. This is why it is a false idea to believe Jesus or Moses did not leave a legitimate Holy Books after themselves. In another words, the idea that the Bible is a corrupted or illegitimate Book, Is false.

I disagree, but let's try t o stick to the topic.

InvestigateTruth

I disagree, but let's try t o stick to the topic.
Well in my opinion it is related to OP, as one the problems with Islam is, it sees all other Holy Books beside Quran, as corrupted and illegitimate. Seeing everyone else as misguided beside Muslims, is not a problem with Islam?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well in my opinion it is related to OP, as one the problems with Islam is, it sees all other Holy Books beside Quran, as corrupted and illegitimate. Seeing everyone else as misguided beside Muslims, is not a problem with Islam?

It may have something to do with the topic title, but not the content of the OP.

InvestigateTruth

Most people don't consider it a problem that we see old books of Prophets corrupted.
I don't know. I haven't seen a poll asking people if they see it as a problem. Perhaps it could be a thread, asking Forum members if they think it is a problem when Muslims believe the Bible is corrupted and illegitimate. Then we see the percentage.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know. I haven't seen a poll asking people if they see it as a problem. Perhaps it could be a thread, asking Forum members if they think it is a problem when Muslims believe the Bible is corrupted and illegitimate. Then we see the percentage.

I have never seen a person when asked why they don't accept Islam, they say, because it claims the bible is tampered with.

InvestigateTruth

I have never seen a person when asked why they don't accept Islam, they say, because it claims the bible is tampered with.

OK, if you are looking for reasons why people may not join Islam, then that has more to do with proofs of Islam rather than problems.
But what I understood by Problems of Islam is, the beliefs or practices Muslims do, which causes problems in the society or world. So, for example, ISIS, or Taliban are Muslims. What beliefs they have which are problematic to the world and people?

Mind you, I have seen people saying the reason they don't want to become Bahai, is because Bahais accept Islam as a true Religion.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK, if you are looking for reasons why people may not join Islam, then that has more to do with proofs of Islam rather than problems.

Most people won't even look at or investigate the proofs Islam offers because of problems they have with it.

Last edited:

stevecanuck

(1) Cutting off their hand, is metaphorical prose. It means prevent them from stealing until they repent and reform themselves.

That is a wholly gratuitous and unsupported claim. If the qur'an says to cut off hands, it means just that.

(2) Slavery was never allowed.

Yes it was. Slaves are referred to frequently in the qur'an, and always in a matter of fact manner. It is better to marry a believing slave than an unbeliever. Remember that verse?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is a wholly gratuitous and unsupported claim. If the qur'an says to cut off hands, it means just that.

It doesn't say to cut a hand, or part of a hand, It says in metaphorical prose, "cut of their hand", to me which signifies it's not literal. It means prevent them from further stealing till they repent and reform themselves.
As for it having to mean just that, are you aware that there non-literal expressions and metaphors in every language?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes it was. Slaves are referred to frequently in the qur'an, and always in a matter of fact manner. It is better to marry a believing slave than an unbeliever. Remember that verse?

Slave to who? Slave to God or to humans. Look at the arguments Moses' made to Pharaoh that children of Israel were slaves of God.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If it was literal, it would mean everyone has a single hand, which is absurd. This is why I'm telling you I am sure it is metaphorical prose.

stevecanuck

It doesn't say to cut a hand, or part of a hand, It says in metaphorical prose, "cut of their hand", to me which signifies it's not literal. It means prevent them from further stealing till they repent and reform themselves.
As for it having to mean just that, are you aware that there non-literal expressions and metaphors in every language?

I don't know who you think you're going to fool. Verse 5:38 says, "And the thief, male and female: cut off the hands of both, as a recompense for what they have earned, and a punishment exemplary from God; God is All-mighty, All-wise".

Why you think you can fob that off as being "metaphorical" is beyond me.

The only way to make Islam sound compatible with the modern world is to lie about what it teaches. Case in point.

stevecanuck

Slave to who? Slave to God or to humans. Look at the arguments Moses' made to Pharaoh that children of Israel were slaves of God.

"A believing slave" is an obvious reference to a person who is a slave to a human.

The only way to make Islam sound compatible with the modern world is to lie about what it teaches. Another case in point.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know who you think you're going to fool. Verse 5:38 says, "And the thief, male and female: cut off the hands of both, as a recompense for what they have earned, and a punishment exemplary from God; God is All-mighty, All-wise".

Why you think you can fob that off as being "metaphorical" is beyond me.

I got it mixed, how the metaphorical prose was, but it's still obviously metaphorical prose. It's because it's plural, while, if it was literal, it would say: "cut off one of the hands of each of them" or "cut off a hand of each of them".

When it says David is "Dul-Aydy" the literal meaning would be "Possessor of hands", but the context and logic shows it's metaphorical prose, and means "Possessor of power (in form of capability)".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
People who twist the scripture because they're too weak to accept the truth can be a problem indeed.
Scriptures are quite poetic & open to interpretation.
So one person's sincere inference will be another's apostasy.
Even when using the same sacred book, "The Truth" is very individual, eh.

danieldemol

Premium Member
How's that obvious, when Quran talks about humans as slaves to God through out.
Compare it to Quran 4:25;
"If any of you have not the means wherewith to wed free believing women they may wed believing girls from among those whom your right hands possess" 1

If all believers are slaves of Allah why would it differentiate between believing slaves and believing "free" "women"

Of course this would not make sense if every reference to slaves was a reference to believers and vice versa.

Therefore it is obvious that slavery was acceptable to Muhammad in my opinion.

1 Surah 4. An-Nisaa Translation by Yusuf Ali | Islamic Reference | Alim