• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The problem with the nine Satanic statements

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I mean Satanism period.
I meant the places where you read that there's no schisms in Satanism. I just wonder how they could arrive at 'Satanism, period, has no schisms' when there's such obvious radically different viewpoints from people who identify as Satanists. Even on the most fundamental of questions like 'does Satan exist as a literal entity or a metaphorical icon or a parabolic story or all of these things'? Lots and lots of different answers to that within Satanic circles and LHP at large.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I meant the places where you read that there's no schisms in Satanism.

Abstract

"There are no categories of Satanists – there are Satanists and nuts. The Satanic know-it-alls try to fabricate a division. Anton Szandor LaVey in Barton 1990: 70 Satanism – to many Western readers the connotations of the term bring to mind strife, hate, division and opposition. In a sense, this worldview must be the ultimate schism as it breaks away from all that is considered good, beautiful and just in Christian society. After all, “Satan” is the opposition, the accuser and later adversary to God. The dark-robed raving cultist or the suave, often British, but fundamentally evil gentleman are both typical stereotypes of the Satanist of popular culture, sadly brought to life by the moral panics of the Satanism Scare in the 1980s and 1990s that falsely attributed these fictional characters to real life. Even though it would be an important study, I will not attempt to write the history of Satanism as a schismatic movement within Christianity or the use of the allegation “Satanist” in medieval or modern-day religious hysteria. In fact, I consider these interpretations of Satanism to be a subcategory of either theology or the sociology of moral panics and not a critical study of modern religion. There are other real-life Satanists, answering proudly to the term and fighting for their freedom of thought and expression. It is to these individuals and their disagreements we now turn."

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/215777442_Satanists_and_Nuts_Schisms_in_Modern_Satanism

Unfortunately you have to be a part of an academic institution to request the research article.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Abstract

"There are no categories of Satanists – there are Satanists and nuts. The Satanic know-it-alls try to fabricate a division. Anton Szandor LaVey in Barton 1990: 70 Satanism – to many Western readers the connotations of the term bring to mind strife, hate, division and opposition. In a sense, this worldview must be the ultimate schism as it breaks away from all that is considered good, beautiful and just in Christian society. After all, “Satan” is the opposition, the accuser and later adversary to God. The dark-robed raving cultist or the suave, often British, but fundamentally evil gentleman are both typical stereotypes of the Satanist of popular culture, sadly brought to life by the moral panics of the Satanism Scare in the 1980s and 1990s that falsely attributed these fictional characters to real life. Even though it would be an important study, I will not attempt to write the history of Satanism as a schismatic movement within Christianity or the use of the allegation “Satanist” in medieval or modern-day religious hysteria. In fact, I consider these interpretations of Satanism to be a subcategory of either theology or the sociology of moral panics and not a critical study of modern religion. There are other real-life Satanists, answering proudly to the term and fighting for their freedom of thought and expression. It is to these individuals and their disagreements we now turn."

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/215777442_Satanists_and_Nuts_Schisms_in_Modern_Satanism

Unfortunately you have to be a part of an academic institution to request the research article.
That's...quite an opening statement. I reject it wholeheartedly, not even being a Satanist of any kind.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That's...quite an opening statement. I reject it wholeheartedly, not even being a Satanist of any kind.
He's probably affiliated with the Church of Satan. They're arrogant and pretend that they invented and own Satanism, and disparage any Satanist who disagrees with them as "reverse Christians" and crazy. The CoS is really just a corporation run out of NYC that exists to sell $200 membership cards and other knick-knacks, really.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
He's probably affiliated with the Church of Satan. They're arrogant and pretend that they invented and own Satanism, and disparage any Satanist who disagrees with them as "reverse Christians" and crazy. The CoS is really just a corporation run out of NYC that exists to sell $200 membership cards and other knick-knacks, really.

Personally I find The Satanic Temple to be far more interesting.

David T

Premium Member
Southern Baptists with a tude.....I mean if you grow up secular it's wierd like atheism.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
From my understanding of LHP philosophy, it stresses a balance between freedom and responsibility, indulgence and moderation, etc. and weighing consequences. Reckless impulse is regarded with disdain. LHP is hedonistic, but not at the expense of rational self-interest.

Why is this not in their Bible?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

well I hold @Mindmaster to be the most knowledgeable of this subject. I pray he can add further to the discussion

Mindmaster

Premium Member
So Satanists do believe in some constraint?

It'd be more accurate to say, they come up with their own standards. But, they'd generally agree that being obsessed, psychotic, or completely oblivious to the needs of others around them is not really in line with Satanic philosophy. Generally, the point of Satanism is to be in the drivers seat in your life -- it's not to be a socially awkward or careless, sex-addicted, weak, drug addict, or a ninny. :D

In that case that draws more of a problem with me. What about individuals like Elliot Rodger who may find gratification at being misogynistic towards women and who in the same instance finds rape to be acceptable? Considering in the literature thus far Satanists believe in consent and the limitation of harm, the two would seemingly be incompatible with absolute freedom. it would appear according to you people can do what they do as long as they take responsibility for it.

It's about freedom, but both ways -- for the others, not just you. :D Anything else is hypocrisy, really. Satanism in any manifestation rejects harming people who are doing you no harm, it just doesn't have a problem if you decide to retaliate on those whom have harmed you. This isn't a blanket license to excuse your criminal behavior just because you're cool with it, or whatever. Satanism has always embraced the rule of law, because there needs to be a mutually agreed set of standards or chaos ensues. A Satanist also is aware more laws are designed to protect the innocent from the mental patients, lol. If a Satanist has a problem with a law, they're going to do what anyone else does on the issue -- petition their representatives, lobby, and do the normal thing any other citizen does. They're not going to go "**** that" and just do what they want. Most of the freedom a Satanist seeks is in their own dealings and head-space.

Interesting. So I'm merely scratching the surface.

It's just a complicated subject, with lots of nuances.There are also a lot of different perspectives that individuals incorporate into their practice.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Are you serious? I have him on ignore. He's not any more knowledgeable than me and others about it.

@Epic Beard Man

His ignore is about my dispute with him on issues in relation to transgender politics. Nothing about my discussions of Satanism. Frankie is religiously-fluid, so I'd take his perspective with a grain of salt -- just as I would any person that is pretty eclectic in such manner.

Anyway, I have about ten years of posting on this forum about Satanism and it's various caveats. If the search function here worked a bit better I'd probably refer you to that. I've been a Satanist for 28 years, longer than most of the people around here are probably living. I've been speaking and writing on the subject since I was about 18, have published work, done various podcasts, and related. I generally don't talk about that much because I have no need to impress myself or others with that. But, for the sake of knowledge I'd just say that I'm balls deep in the subject and have no problem helping people get truthful information.

Also, there is a huge forum on Order of the Serpent, which is really a sister-site to this (it was founded by RF's LHP community, basically), and many of the discussions carry more depth than would be suitable for general admission sites like this. Anyway, if you're truly looking for detail information that's probably a better place to go and ask.

Niblo

Premium Member
... It's taught that Satanism is demonic, devil worshipping, cat sacrificing religion filled with people who use black lipstick bad hair cuts, black boots and women wearing fish net stockings chanting "Hail Satan!"

It isn't??? Heck.....no wonder I had a hard time keeping girlfriends!