• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Problem with Polytheism

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The problem with polytheism is that if there are multiple Gods then surely they must have something or someone that created them ?
The problem with monotheism is that - if it were approached honestly - you'd need to not only establish that gods in general can exist, but you'd need to establish that the number of gods is somehow limited to one.

Justifying monotheism has all the problems inherent in justifying polytheism and all the problems inherent in justifying hard atheism, only with a bunch of problems of its own.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see any problem. Why must there be one creator? Is that an actual rule?
It is a rule. As far as you know. I used to have a handy video that explained it, but it was lost when my handy videos that explain things cabinet was stolen by bandits.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Monotheism is compatible with science because they can say the Universe and its laws were created by one entity known as God.

The problem with polytheism is that if there are multiple Gods then surely they must have something or someone that created them ?

Most organised polytheisms have one single creator.

Bear Wild

Monotheism is compatible with science because they can say the Universe and its laws were created by one entity known as God.

The world created all gods and goddesses. Monotheism is an illusion when a group of people only focus on one god and forget the others. The forces of nature created all gods and goddesses as with all things. See the poetic Edda ( Völuspá, Vafþrúðnismál and Grímnismál) and prose Edda (Gylfaginning) for details for an example.

Science and people practicing polytheism are very compatible. What we call the laws of the universe are just our descriptions of processes of the natural world without the need for a "god" to create them. The true source for wisdom and knowledge in many pagan/polytheistic religions is nature itself thus completely compatible with science. It is exclusive monotheistic religions that have a problem with science. You have it backwards.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Of course, everyone thinks their god is the only God. You are right. And therein lies another corner monotheists paint themselves into, or another wall to seal themselves in, from which they can’t escape and will suffocate. My position comes from the Rigveda... “One Truth known by many names”. A very logical and open-minded POV, I think.

I think so too but it only applies to people with that state of mind. I see gods as a state of mind and everyone has their own opinion of gods

RestlessSoul

Yes, but not in so many words. What he said was, "So many religions, so many paths to reach the one and the same goal," and "All religions are true. God can be reached by many different religions. Many rivers flow by many ways, but they all fall into the sea. They all are one."

I wonder if he was familiar with William Blake?

2E8B4303-2389-4BF1-ADA1-E7977499693D.jpeg

52D58C4B-30B3-401E-9FA7-E296BD58F339.jpeg

ronki23

I'm not sure why this would be a problem. Most pantheons I'm aware of have a hierarchy.

Often there is a creator God who makes the others.

Using your “logic”, who or what created that monotheistic God? Why do the polytheistic Gods need to have been created, and the monotheistic God not created? Have you ever heard of polydeism? It’s the belief that the universe and its laws were created by a number of gods, each with their own specialty who stepped back after creation, not unlike the deistic God.

I am not sure how monotheism is anymore compatible with science than polytheism is.

Then surely their creator must have had a creator.
And the creators creator surely had a creator.

Lather rinse repeat

I mean, you have not given any reason why "surely they must have something or someone that created them"...
So with the same reasoning we end up with a long long line of creators being created.

I don't see any problem. Why must there be one creator? Is that an actual rule?

The problem with monotheism is that - if it were approached honestly - you'd need to not only establish that gods in general can exist, but you'd need to establish that the number of gods is somehow limited to one.

Justifying monotheism has all the problems inherent in justifying polytheism and all the problems inherent in justifying hard atheism, only with a bunch of problems of its own.

Most organised polytheisms have one single creator.

Where does science say that the universe and laws were created by one entity?

If there are multiple Gods and a God above them then surely that's still monotheism ?

We can always say God created the Universe and its laws as there was nothing before the Big Bang and then sporadically matter and the laws of physics existed.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If there are multiple Gods and a God above them then surely that's still monotheism ?

No, it isn’t. Hellenic, Roman, Norse, Slavic, Daoist religions have a “king of the gods” or a chief god of the pantheon... Zeus, Jupiter, Perun, Odin, Marduk, for example but those are not monotheistic religions by any stretch of the imagination. Hinduism is a separate case because the gods can be seen as individuals or manifestations of one, and one or another can be a Supreme Being to different people but there is no God over the other gods.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No.

It's not that hard: multiple gods, whatever their hierarchy or lack thereof: polytheism.

Only one god: monotheism.

We can always say God created the Universe and its laws as there was nothing before the Big Bang and then sporadically matter and the laws of physics existed.
Sure - we can say all sorts of things.

syo

Nah. The Gods choose their own avatars. They are not like us. :)

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

One god is monotheism. More than one is polytheism.

Solo or as a team, one god or 1,000, there is nothing for science to say about that. Science is the tool to study and explain the observable universe. The existence and actions of gods or a god that leaves nothing to observe would give scientists nothing to work with or comment on.

In concept, I see nothing preventing 10 gods from being the creators of the universe as a team effort.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In concept, I see nothing preventing 10 gods from being the creators of the universe as a team effort.
And on the flipside, once a monotheist asserts that their god magically poofed himself into existence and is so powerful his will can't be thwarted, it doesn't seem like they have any real argument against why other similar gods couldn't magically poof themselves into existence if they wanted to, too.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
And on the flipside, once a monotheist asserts that their god magically poofed himself into existence and is so powerful his will can't be thwarted, it doesn't seem like they have any real argument against why other similar gods couldn't magically poof themselves into existence if they wanted to, too.
Personally, I have no idea how God came to exist or if He is eternal and always existed. I have no idea what even eternal means. My mind reals at the idea.

But I do have trouble with the idea of something poofing itself into existence. That makes no sense to me. And you are correct what would prevent others from poofing themselves into existence.

QuestioningMind

Why would multiple gods require a creator?

alypius

The original claim was that science teaches these things. Where does scientific literature assert these things?