• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Problem of Moral Luck

Averroes

There is a huge difference between an unexpecting good fortune or bad fortune, and planning on doing something.

I doubt killing someone at least in certain cases is the result of some deterministic past, as there have been murders where which the perpetrator killed people unprovoked, without mental anguish or history of a mental disorder.

The question I asked you was why aren't you an axe murderer?

You said "past probabilities"

Instead of dodging or giving poor responses perhaps you want to be a bit more in-depth. A good response to my question would be:

"I am influenced by consequences which determines my idle behavior." Because of the potentiality of suffering the consequence of sacrificing freedom you are therefore influenced NOT to kill. Past probabilities has nothing to do with it. In fact Skwim was right in his view on determinism, and because you are using incoherent dialect which lacked any substantial explanation my dialogue with you is over.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
There is a huge difference between an unexpecting good fortune or bad fortune, and planning on doing something.

I doubt killing someone at least in certain cases is the result of some deterministic past, as there have been murders where which the perpetrator killed people unprovoked, without mental anguish or history of a mental disorder.

The question I asked you was why aren't you an axe murderer?

You said "past probabilities"

Instead of dodging or giving poor responses perhaps you want to be a bit more in-depth. A good response to my question would be:

"I am influenced by consequences which determines my idle behavior." Because of the potentiality of suffering the consequence of sacrificing freedom you are therefore influenced NOT to kill. Past probabilities has nothing to do with it. In fact Skwim was right in his view on determinism, and because you are using incoherent dialect which lacked any substantial explanation my dialogue with you is over.
"Given the state of a system at some time, the laws of nature determine the probabilities of various futures and pasts rather than determining the future and past with certainty."

I could say "because I was raised being told killing is bad". I could say I wasn't born genetically different in some way and therefore am not as likely to being a murderer. I cannot say "I choose not to kill". I don't decide the probabilities. I am the product of them, and they decide whether I go out and kill people with an axe.