• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Problem of Evil, Messiah, and Wrath.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I am grouping up those quotes to provide a single reply to them:

There only needs to be one possible fantasy world with underlying mechanics for us to say it is a better world than ours given the values we are working with. And since we can imagine a fantasy world like that it would be sufficient. If it is imaginable it is a possible world.
You have not addressed that solving problems in a fantasy world would be much much more difficult. This happens regardless of how many possible fantasy worlds are included. The disadvantage is triggered when the natural laws transition into ----> natural 'maybes'.
What are fantasy problems?
Is a vampire a fantasy problem?
A fanatsy problem is a problem where the underlying root cause is not governed by the predictable laws of nature.
Yes, vampires qualify.
Sure, but it doesn't mean that after each death (or after a given number of deaths) their suffering decreases.
The intensity of the suffering, yes, would decrease. You don't think after so many deaths, a parent goes numb?
That's not quite true.
I mean, you are not completely wrong, but not completely correct too. You would be hard-pressed to find someone that would treat undergoing extreme pain as a mere inconvience, for example.
Right. Thank you for explaining that. I now agree. although resolving the problem may have been easier than I previously thought. Extreme-suffering is a special case, where limited exposure can benefit a population; but excessive exposure is harmful for the population.

Sidebar: no matter what I do, I'm always going back to the collective benefit. at some point I may explicitly add that as a value for a creator's perfect creation.

You are not addressing the collective benefit though: His action inspired other people to rise up against this sort of thing. How does this improvement doesn't justify his action?
Yes. I didn't need to address it. Your example was a sequence of events. The first step contradicts a value of the creator. Chopping off limbs is not an improvement. If I can't execute the first step, I don't need to address the final results. The final results don't occur.

How exactly are you measuring what is the collective harm caused by torture, and how exactly did you reach the conclusion that the chance for individual improvement doesn't justify this harm?
Super-simple: Torture always harms the individual. Sometimes the individual gains something from it. The 'sometimes' does not justify the 'always'.
I feel like this part of the conversation, the one quoted above, is actually redundant. Whether individuals are able to mitigate the pleasure they feel when doing something improper doesn't really matter if there is improvement from merely acting despite their pleasure.
Yes. I agree. Thank you.

muhammad_isa

..Is it alright to make you suffer a lot if you are granted an infinite reward? Oh wait, you don't get to have a choice.
No, we don't have a choice.
Some suffering can be avoided by learning from our mistakes.
..but not all. Sometimes it is the sins of others which causes us to suffer.

A young child who is teething often suffers, but soon forgets about it, and passes on to the next stage.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I do not know about Solomon, nor I need to know, a mythologized Israelite king.

Archaeological evidence has been found for his rich buildings and his writings are in the Bible and I think external evidence has been found of kings that he had dealings with.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You have not addressed that solving problems in a fantasy world would be much much more difficult. This happens regardless of how many possible fantasy worlds are included. The disadvantage is triggered when the natural laws transition into ----> natural 'maybes'.

What do you mean by 'natural maybes'?
There wouldn't any natural maybe, or least not more than the current world if I understood you correctly.

A fanatsy problem is a problem where the underlying root cause is not governed by the predictable laws of nature.
Yes, vampires qualify.

You are overstating how predictable our world is. There used to be a time where people used to think that there was nothing wrong with smoking cigarettes.

The intensity of the suffering, yes, would decrease. You don't think after so many deaths, a parent goes numb?

This is not mathematics. It doesn't work like that.

Right. Thank you for explaining that. I now agree. although resolving the problem may have been easier than I previously thought. Extreme-suffering is a special case, where limited exposure can benefit a population; but excessive exposure is harmful for the population.

Sidebar: no matter what I do, I'm always going back to the collective benefit. at some point I may explicitly add that as a value for a creator's perfect creation.

How did you reach the conclusion that excessive exposure is harmful to the population?

Yes. I didn't need to address it. Your example was a sequence of events. The first step contradicts a value of the creator. Chopping off limbs is not an improvement. If I can't execute the first step, I don't need to address the final results. The final results don't occur.

What exactly do you mean by 'chopping off limbs is not an improvement'? Wouldn't it be an opportunity for improvement? Isn't learning how to deal with adversity an improvement?

Super-simple: Torture always harms the individual. Sometimes the individual gains something from it. The 'sometimes' does not justify the 'always'.

This posits a problem to your position. You are saying that if X always harms the individual, it must always make the individual gain something in return. (For it to be justified)

Suffering and evil of any kind always harms the individual, but they don't always make the individual gain something in return. How do you justify them then?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
No, we don't have a choice.
Some suffering can be avoided by learning from our mistakes.
..but not all. Sometimes it is the sins of others which causes us to suffer.

A young child who is teething often suffers, but soon forgets about it, and passes on to the next stage.

If your children, as in kids, decided to kill one another, would you call yourself a good parent by letting them police themselves and not interferring?

muhammad_isa

If your children, as in kids, decided to kill one another, would you call yourself a good parent by letting them police themselves and not interferring?
No. Almighty God has and does interfere.
He has sent us messengers from amongst ourselves, with guidance.
Unfortunately, right now the world is in a bit of a mess. We can expect that God will "intervene" again before long.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Who is the better teacher? One who instructs, challenges, and tests, or one who instructs but takes no other interest in their students?
the sense of accomplishment is the reward? ? :)
Life is the teacher. We are on our own (to devise our ways, meet the challenges. correct our mistakes if we fail, otherwise we get drown). Do you know of any other teacher?
Well said. Gita will approve. You don't need a God for that. (No, I am not pasting the verse unless you want me to. :))

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What do you mean by 'natural maybes'?
There wouldn't any natural maybe, or least not more than the current world if I understood you correctly.

You are overstating how predictable our world is. There used to be a time where people used to think that there was nothing wrong with smoking cigarettes.
I'm not sure whether you actually don't understand or whether you're arguing for fun. :)

Let's say someone is petrified, that petrification exists. What steps would you take to cure them? How would you prioritize which rememdies to try first? How is your approach any different than random trial and error?

Compare that to the response to covid-19. A vaccine was rapidly developed using existing technology and existing vaccines which were effective against a similar virus.

For fantasy problems, it is virtually impossible to improve. Even once the problem is solved, the elements which contributed to the success cannot be applied to new problems.
This is not mathematics. It doesn't work like that.
ok, convince me. here's the google search results for: "parents become numb after losing child" - link. you'll need quite a bit of research to refute all of that.
How did you reach the conclusion that excessive exposure is harmful to the population?
if you look up "pain tolerance" there is research that indicates in extreme cases, the individual's response to discomfort is amplified after the experience. If this occurs to many people, the population becomes less resilient, that's not improvement. But if it happens on a limited basis, there's still opportunity for collective benefit that exceeds the damage caused.
What exactly do you mean by 'chopping off limbs is not an improvement'? Wouldn't it be an opportunity for improvement? Isn't learning how to deal with adversity an improvement?
the details of your example are what disqualifies it. chopping off limbs does not improve soldiers for battle. chopping off limbs does not inspire the remaining soldiers to become better fighters. You need to come up with a better example.
This posits a problem to your position. You are saying that if X always harms the individual, it must always make the individual gain something in return. (For it to be justified)

Suffering and evil of any kind always harms the individual, but they don't always make the individual gain something in return. How do you justify them then?
No, that's not what I'm saying. And I've said it repeatedly.

If X harms the individual, it might make the individual gain something OR it might make the collective gain something. As long as there is a gain, it's an improvement.

Suffering and evil sometimes harms the individual, depending on how extreme it is. But it always has the potential to benefit society if it occurs in limited scope.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
No. Almighty God has and does interfere.
He has sent us messengers from amongst ourselves, with guidance.
Unfortunately, right now the world is in a bit of a mess. We can expect that God will "intervene" again before long.

What if your children don't agree with your messenger? What if they don't believe in your messenger?

Would you be a good parent by letting them kill each other then?

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Life is the teacher. We are on our own (to devise our ways, meet the challenges. correct our mistakes if we fail, otherwise we get drown). Do you know of any other teacher?
Are we really, truly on our own? Except for a hermit, is this true? Maybe at death, we are ultimately on our own, but until then, it's hard for me to imagine being completely on our own without anyone assisting or instructing.

"Life is the teacher" - I like that.

Well said. Gita will approve. You don't need a God for that. (No, I am not pasting the verse unless you want me to. :))
Thanks, Aup. Nice to know there's support for this idea.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I'm not sure whether you actually don't understand or whether you're arguing for fun. :)

Let's say someone is petrified, that petrification exists. What steps would you take to cure them? How would you prioritize which rememdies to try first? How is your approach any different than random trial and error?

Compare that to the response to covid-19. A vaccine was rapidly developed using existing technology and existing vaccines which were effective against a similar virus.

For fantasy problems, it is virtually impossible to improve. Even once the problem is solved, the elements which contributed to the success cannot be applied to new problems.

I have no idea why you are assuming that each and every problem in a fantasy world would be absolutely unique and unrelated. Let's use your example: By studying petrification we could learn how to reproduce it, and use it to treat other conditions, much like how venom can be used to treat certain conditions (like blood pressure). You simply won't see fantasy novels where the characters keep trying the most random of things to solve each and every of their problems, there is an underlying rationale just like in our world.

ok, convince me. here's the google search results for: "parents become numb after losing child" - link. you'll need quite a bit of research to refute all of that.

Refute all... what exactly?
I need actual quotes to know what exactly you are talking about.

if you look up "pain tolerance" there is research that indicates in extreme cases, the individual's response to discomfort is amplified after the experience. If this occurs to many people, the population becomes less resilient, that's not improvement. But if it happens on a limited basis, there's still opportunity for collective benefit that exceeds the damage caused.

I am not sure I understand. If improvement is the value, why would people become less resilient after traumatic events? I am asking this in the sense of: Why would God create us that way? Wouldn't we expect people to become more resilient (or at least not lose resilience)?

the details of your example are what disqualifies it. chopping off limbs does not improve soldiers for battle. chopping off limbs does not inspire the remaining soldiers to become better fighters. You need to come up with a better example.

But I didn't say anything about 'battle' or 'fighters'. They might turn out better (improved) 'human beings' though. Are you going to add the premise that we must improve as 'fighters' specifically?
And since we are talking about collective benefits, it is not even about them specifically. What about the fact that this event lead other people to improving?

No, that's not what I'm saying. And I've said it repeatedly.

If X harms the individual, it might make the individual gain something OR it might make the collective gain something. As long as there is a gain, it's an improvement.

Suffering and evil sometimes harms the individual, depending on how extreme it is. But it always has the potential to benefit society if it occurs in limited scope.

You have said and I quote: "Torture always harms the individual. Sometimes the individual gains something from it. The 'sometimes' does not justify the 'always'."

By that you did mean that if torture always entailed individual gain, that it would be justified, right?
Otherwise, why would you pointing out that 'sometimes doesn't justify the always'?
Notice how you have not stated any reference to collective gains on that sentence.

But more importantly what exactly justifies the harm: The potential for improvement or the improvement itself?
Torture always has the potential for individual gain, so if it is the potential for improvement, torture would be justified. I don't think you would say the improvement itself is what justifies the harm, but I want to know what you think.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Are we really, truly on our own? Except for a hermit, is this true? Maybe at death, we are ultimately on our own, but until then, it's hard for me to imagine being completely on our own without anyone assisting or instructing.

We are social animals. We are "collectively" on our own.

Yeah, Gita says that we should do what 'dharma' (righteousness) requires without any other consideration and not because that will bring us some reward. Act for 'dharma' for its own sake.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
We are social animals. We are "collectively" on our own.

Yeah, Gita says that we should do what 'dharma' (righteousness) requires without any other consideration and not because that will bring us some reward. Act for 'dharma' for its own sake.
Excuse me, please, but I haven't read the entire thread. However, in your terminology, who decides what is righteous or not?

YoursTrue

"Life is the teacher" - I like that.

Life can be a very hard teacher. Let me put it this way: people kill one another for various reasons. Then sometimes a court gets involved and passes a judgment. The criminal may be given a jail sentence. Does the criminal always learn from the hard time?
That's the first question.

YoursTrue

Life can be a very hard teacher. Let me put it this way: people kill one another for various reasons. Then sometimes a court gets involved and passes a judgment. The criminal may be given a jail sentence. Does the criminal always learn from the hard time?
That's the first question.
@dybmg -
The second question is this: ok, not a question but a statement. My parents did not really teach me right from wrong in a biblical sense. My mother taught me how to iron clothes, and made me do my homework, but nothing much about morals. They had a form of religion but did not personally direct me, neither did those taking the lead in the religion I was born in help me understand what to do with my life. I made my own choices. I didn't know whether to turn to the right or to the left, but some things were beyond my willingness to engage in. Not because of morals but because they just didn't strike me as right. I won't go into too much detail, but hopefully you understand.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
However, in your terminology, who decides what is righteous or not?
"Ashtādasha puraneshu, Vyāsasya vachanam dvaya;
paropakāram punyāya, pāpāya parapīdanam."

(Of all that is written) In eighteen puranas, two sentences of Sage VedaVyasa (are the essence);
to help others is merit, to pain others is sin.

It is the rule of human societies and is eternal. It does not need a God to be decided.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The criminal may be given a jail sentence. Does the criminal always learn from the hard time? That's the first question.
I would not term a jail sentence in West as hard time, it is much better than what poor people in India get in their daily life. In some cases, we will term it as luxury (Norway for example). As far as my experience goes, time in jail does not make a criminal a better person. Most return to their criminal ways. Some times, crimes are hatched in jail and executed through the minions outside the jail. I would prefer punishment by death for such persons.