• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Problem of Dualism in Atheism and Theism

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
so obviously self is a part of the All, Absolute, Nature, Universe. it exists within and not without.

obviously if self is conscious, then the universe, nature, all, absolute is conscious because self exists in this observation.

the problem arises from the self as an observer believing self is separate from the nature inherent. nothing can exist apart from it. this is literally maya and lila at work. god, love is mind that takes a myriad forms and yet has no exclusive form

what is the problem NOW? got something on your mind? going to deny consciousness?

spirituality is literally a synonym for mentality.

ring the bells hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

Last edited:

epronovost

Dualism is a largelly abandon philosophical position outside of theology. Today, emergent materialism seems to be the most popular ontological categorisation.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Dualism is a largelly abandon philosophical position outside of theology. Today, emergent materialism seems to be the most popular ontological categorisation.
i don't have a problem with that philosophy either. consciousness is not exclusively a material thing as it an energy, physical thing.

it's like the E in E=m(c*c), or einstein stating they were both the same thing too.

but that still doesn't dismiss that the universe is conscious because consciousness isn't exclusive to humans.

and all consciousness is part of the universe, nature.

Last edited:

epronovost

but that still doesn't dismiss that the universe is conscious because consciousness isn't exclusive to humans.

The fact that consciousness isn't exclusive to humans doesn't mean that anything and everything can be conscious. The only things with consciousness that were observed are animals and possess a neural system. We can say the universe contains stuff that is conscious, but claiming that the universe itself has a consciousness is going against everything we know about consciousness and minds.

PS: energy is material.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The fact that consciousness isn't exclusive to humans doesn't mean that anything and everything can be conscious. The only things with consciousness that were observed are animals and possess a neural system. We can say the universe contains stuff that is conscious, but claiming that the universe itself has a consciousness is going against everything we know about consciousness and minds.

PS: energy is material.
ps I already said energy is material. Einstein said it about his equation. Matter is energy.

And just like a human consciousness varies at different levels in different forms, but the universe is conscious. No human is necessary.

If you destroyed every human, consciousness would still exist.

How Your Brain Is Like the Cosmic Web

The universe is made up of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Unfortunately there are more than a few conscious things in the universe with a neural network
... though all of them that we know of are all on this planet, plus a handful in low earth orbit.

And your whole body is a neural network
Not really, but it's irrelevant since there's much more to the universe than me.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
... though all of them that we know of are all on this planet, plus a handful in low earth orbit.

Not really, but it's irrelevant since there's much more to the universe than me.
then your comments and thinking are irrelevant.

just because you have limitations of seeing like a second density creature to a third, doesn't mean consciousness doesn't exist at higher level.

We know lower animals have neural networks

Neuroscience for Kids - Invertebrate Nervous System.

just means self wears it's ego on it's sleeve and is pretentious

f7fa1bdddc896c2c635a1929c6578b745a6030c2.png

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
then your comments and thinking are irrelevant.

just because you have limitations of seeing like a second density creature to a third, doesn't mean consciousness doesn't exist at higher level.
If you're going to argue that the universe is conscious, then go ahead and argue it. The argument in your OP - i.e. that the universe is conscious because there are conscious things in it - is nonsense.

We know lower animals have neural networks

Neuroscience for Kids - Invertebrate Nervous System.
We also know that 99.999999...% of the universe is not made up of animals.

just means self wears it's ego on it's sleeve and is pretentious
Funny - seems to me that the pretentious position is yours.

Do you have any reason to think that the universe is conscious besides "consciousness is important to me, therefore it must be important to the entire universe?"

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If you're going to argue that the universe is conscious, then go ahead and argue it. The argument in your OP - i.e. that the universe is conscious because there are conscious things in it - is nonsense.

We also know that 99.999999...% of the universe is not made up of animals.

Funny - seems to me that the pretentious position is yours.

Do you have any reason to think that the universe is conscious besides "consciousness is important to me, therefore it must be important to the entire universe?"
you're the one who claims to be irrelevant. so yours is irrelevant dualistic thinking having any thought on the subject at all

i'm not claiming to be the most conscious thing in the world and irrelevant at the same time.

i'm an aspect of the universe and the universe is in me; so then part, my part, is conscious on some level of the consciousness spectrum

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
i'm an aspect of the universe and the universe is in me; so then part, my part, is conscious on some level of the consciousness spectrum
This gets back to what I said at thd beginning: there are some blue things in my house, therefore my house itself must be blue.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This gets back to what I said at thd beginning: there are some blue things in my house, therefore my house itself must be blue.

you're claiming that your body and brain is irrelevant; so why are your thoughts relevant if your thoughts arise from your brain/body?

something from nothing?

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
obviously if self is conscious, then the universe, nature, all, absolute is conscious because self exists in this observation.

I am not that egotistical to consider i have any baring on on the universe

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
you're claiming that your body and brain is irrelevant;
so why are your thoughts relevant if your thoughts arise from your brain/body?
Don't mistake the argument you've imagined that I'm making for what I'm actually saying.

something from nothing?
"How could there possibly be blue things in my house unless my house is blue, too?!"