• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Problem is Choice

whirlingmerc

Are you here by choice? Whose?

Yours? Your parents'? God's?

A confluence of all the above where God's choice superintends the others;

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 8.42.10 PM.png

Skwim

Veteran Member
No I'm not. I'm here because of all the preceding deterministic causes and effects led to me being here. Choice played no part so it poses no problem.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I am here because of a long sequence of choices made by my ancestors.

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
God is destined to create me the task I must accomplish professionally
The short life span of a human being has led to different experiences
A successful man is a builder
Building values, morals, literature and love
Selfish failed man
Destruction

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Define the notion of a choice.

If there is a choice, does that mean there is more than one possible future?

Can choices only be made by living/conscious/intelligent beings?

Given that there are typically many different causes for any particular event, going back into the past (a causal tree, not a causal chain), do ALL preceding events (in the light cone) act as causes, so ALL choices made are relevant?

In any case, my mother considered me an 'oops'. But there was a choice not to abort.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
There is only choice if there is an inherently existing entity, a soul or atman.

If you don’t believe in such a spiritual entity as the basis of your experience, then there isn’t ‘somebody’ making choices, there is only a process which includes a fleeting and conditional, context dependent sense of self.

Honestly, it just makes my head spin, so I go with the superficial, act like I really exist and make choices, and try not to sweat the small stuff. Mostly.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member

In the film Neo says "The problem is choice," but what if the problem is not choice but is process? The film is terrific. It introduces some philosophical conundrums and ideas. The oracle tells Neo "You are here not to make a choice but to understand the choice that you have already made." or something like that. It reflects some of the general problems we people have of not understanding ourselves. As we mature we understand ourselves, but there are surprises.

I used to be annoyed about the free energy the machines got from the humans, because I didn't understand the fiction science basis. Now I do. The Matrix film referred to in the OP makes the assumption that consciousness is the basis of reality: thus the AI people are able to extract pure energy from the minds of captured humans. In our physics this would be impossible, but in the film it happens. The energy comes from The Source through the captured humans and is collected to run a machine city. It looks very horrific what with the goo and weakened human forms and wires connected to their bodies.

I learned something relevant when reading about encryption and block chains. I learned that there is energy required to solve problems, and those problems solved prove that energy has been spent. Its what makes crypto currencies and block chains possible. This relates to questions about my existence. The proof that my pattern (me) exists is the complexity within it. There is no other evidence that I have any substance; but that is enough. My atoms are not atoms. My electrons are leptons. My leptons are quarks, and my quarks are merely patterns which are barely measurable and which are assigned the term 'Energy'. Thus I have no basis except for the complexity in me.

Maybe the problem is process, not choice. When I plant a seed I start a process, but I am also continuing a previous process. I am directing a process. The process is also self directing.

joe1776

We can't tell the difference between having made a freewill choice or the illusion of having made a freewill choice. However, as a pragmatist, I don't care which it is because, either way, it's not going to change how I act.

Bird123

We are all here by our own choice. On the other hand, the parameters of our lives were not chosen by us, however we all do have free choice within those parameters.

Why in the world would anyone choose to be here? AS I see it, between lives we go to God and experience God's Unconditional Love that heals all hurt. It is a Love that feels so good and so complete that we would do anything for it. We all want to be just like God. We see where we are and where we need to be. This is when we choose to Learn how to be God.

We choose to take the path to perfection. After all hurt has been removed from us we are placed in a new physical body to continue to learn and grow until a physical body is no longer needed for our lessons. We will see God between the many many lifetimes it will take to reach our goal.

It's education at it's best. We are Living our lessons through our own free choices.

That's what I am seeing.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
We are all here by our own choice. On the other hand, the parameters of our lives were not chosen by us, however we all do have free choice within those parameters.

Why in the world would anyone choose to be here? AS I see it, between lives we go to God and experience God's Unconditional Love that heals all hurt. It is a Love that feels so good and so complete that we would do anything for it. We all want to be just like God. We see where we are and where we need to be. This is when we choose to Learn how to be God.

We choose to take the path to perfection. After all hurt has been removed from us we are placed in a new physical body to continue to learn and grow until a physical body is no longer needed for our lessons. We will see God between the many many lifetimes it will take to reach our goal.

It's education at it's best. We are Living our lessons through our own free choices.

That's what I am seeing.
That's a nice thought.