• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The priest got mad at me because I told him...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
"You are a host, and your job is to entertain your guest."

He said something like. "Here you are judging me and telling me I'm an entertainer. I don't go to church to entertain them, I go to church to spread the word of God. Go away. I don't want to talk to you."

Anyways, I know this guy because he goes to my gym. And one day I decided to talk with him about religion which I usually don't. What I told him was I believe that every priest of every religion is a host who entertains his guests.

To me they are like clowns, or comedians, seriously. What is the job of clowns or comedians? Its to entertain their guest, right? Don't they play music and sing songs in every religion? How are they not entertainers? Please tell me. The life is a show, period.
^ petty and rude ...

lostwanderingsoul

Calling a priest an entertainer sounds exactly like something an atheist would say. When you get a religion and actually go to church you might have a different opinion.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Calling a priest an entertainer sounds exactly like something an atheist would say. When you get a religion and actually go to whatever place of worship the religion designates you might have a different opinion.

FIFY :D

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
"You are a host, and your job is to entertain your guest."

He said something like. "Here you are judging me and telling me I'm an entertainer. I don't go to church to entertain them, I go to church to spread the word of God. Go away. I don't want to talk to you."

Anyways, I know this guy because he goes to my gym. And one day I decided to talk with him about religion which I usually don't. What I told him was I believe that every priest of every religion is a host who entertains his guests.

To me they are like clowns, or comedians, seriously. What is the job of clowns or comedians? Its to entertain their guest, right? Don't they play music and sing songs in every religion? How are they not entertainers? Please tell me. The life is a show, period.

Well judging by the latter portion of your post maybe he has a legitimate right to be upset. Things ought to be said in consideration of another's feelings. Your idea of entertainment seems to be similar to that of a court Jester. To many people who are serious about belief, religion is not a joke nor entertainment to the extent of laughter.

Hammzah

I'm curious about how this conversation started.

Did the priest initiate a religious discussion, or did you go up to him and give him your opinion that he's not what he thinks he should be, but is really an entertainer?

Or something else?

I came up to him and told him that. He probably thought that entertainer is some kind of a musician. But in the end of the day both musicians and priests spread messages. So, its the same idea but slightly different.

Hammzah

Calling a priest an entertainer sounds exactly like something an atheist would say. When you get a religion and actually go to church you might have a different opinion.

Isn't a commander in the army an entertainer? Don't you think keeping soldiers bored is a bad idea?

What is the difference between soldiers and religion followers?

4consideration

Premium Member
I came up to him and told him that. He probably thought that entertainer is some kind of a musician. But in the end of the day both musicians and priests spread messages. So, its the same idea but slightly different.
My guess is that with his response being that you are judging him, he took it that you were judging him.

It sounds to me like you were coming across as trolling.

It seems that rather than this being a religious topic, it's really more about etiquette -- and simple respect for others that aren't doing anything to you.

Are there others groups of people you think it's appropriate to go up to and inform them they are not what they think they are -- but are, instead, what you say they are?

Last edited:

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
I came up to him and told him that.

So the actual problem here is that you're just rude?

He probably thought that entertainer is some kind of a musician. But in the end of the day both musicians and priests spread messages. So, its the same idea but slightly different.

Can you blame the priest for thinking that? Considering even you think that... :D

Anyway. I'm not a theist but your way of thinking complex concepts like this is needlessly simplistic and naive. You don't take motive into account at all: A priest doesn't see himself as an entertainer. But an actual purposeful entertainer does.

I honestly think you're making a false equivalence.

Hammzah

My guess is that with his response being that you are judging him, he took it that you were judging him.

It sounds to me like you were coming across as trolling.

It seems that rather than this being a religious topic, it's really more about etiquette -- and simple respect for others that aren't doing anything to you.

Are there others groups of people you think it's appropriate to go up to and inform them they are not what they think they are -- but are, instead, what you say they are?

Maybe he does not understand that his job is to entertain his guest. I guess I cut him off gourd. I only told him what I thought. I never told that he is an entertainer I only told him what I think. I'm pretty sure later on he understood my massage because of how he behaved the next day around me. I wonder if I could convince him to join this forum.

4consideration

Premium Member
Maybe he does not understand that his job is to entertain his guest. I guess I cut him off gourd. I only told him what I thought. I never told that he is an entertainer I only told him what I think. I'm pretty sure later on he understood my massage because of how he behaved the next day around me. I wonder if I could convince him to join this forum.
My take on his response initially was that he might be practicing turning the other cheek, and not holding and directing verbal aggression toward someone that seemed to initiate aggression.

I realize it may, perhaps, have been a more friendly encounter than it seemed in the OP.

Was your message to him that you think priests are like clowns, which is a term you used in your OP?

Or, was your message that you thought it is a priest's job to engage and interest people -- and the term "entertain" was more positive than insulting?

The impression I got from your OP is that you actually hold a view of priests one would expect a priest might find insulting, and then now you're talking like you were trying to give him some useful information, which he may have accepted.

I'm not of the opinion that you ought to find his chosen life-style useful, personally -- but I'm questioning whether you meant to be helpful or insulting.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe he does not understand that his job is to entertain his guest.

Maybe you do not understand that your interpretation of his job and his interpretation of his job do not cross paths. Consequently, he would see you as misrepresenting his profession. Frankly, I agree with the priest.
There is a significant difference between holding the perspective "I am an entertainer" and "I am spreading the word of God." The gravity of the two is quite different, at least with respect to how American culture regards entertainment.

Hammzah

Maybe you do not understand that your interpretation of his job and his interpretation of his job do not cross paths. Consequently, he would see you as misrepresenting his profession. Frankly, I agree with the priest. There is a significant difference between holding the perspective "I am an entertainer" and "I am spreading the word of God." The gravity of the two is quite different, at least with respect to how American culture regards entertainment.

How do they not cross paths? Have you ever been to an American christian church? Don't you know they have musicians that play music with all kinds of instruments? As a priest he is a "CEO" of the entire show.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How do they not cross paths? Have you ever been to an American christian church? Don't you know they have musicians that play music with all kinds of instruments? As a priest he is a "CEO" of the entire show.

Remember, I did not say there is no relationship between being clergy and being an entertainer. What I said was your interpretation of his job and his interpretation of his job are not the same. Again, there's a significant difference between the gravity of "I am an entertainer" and "I am spreading the word of God." Do you not understand this difference? Do you not understand that being an entertainer is something that is light-hearted or done for fun and pleasure? Do you not understand that spreading the word of God is a serious responsibility and is a sacred duty reflecting devotion to God?