• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Presidential election France.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
From her perspective, it's probably a necessary -- something (I wouldn't call it evil. Immigration isn't a right, it's perhaps a perk or some other word that escapes me at the moment) -- for the time being, to reorganize the entire national mainframe. When things are in order, perhaps some immigration will be allowed, but perhaps not. Again, no one has a right to immigrate anywhere, so long as this isn't a One World Order. I don't see any fearmongering or chauvinism here.

Disproportionately blaming certain issues on immigrants strikes me as fearmongering, yes. Nobody has a right to immigrate anywhere, but if there are no solid reasons to isolate one's country like that, then it seems to me such an approach should be criticized for putting up unnecessary barriers between different countries and people.

As just one example, the French soccer team that won the 2018 World Cup had a significant number of players from African descent. By Le Pen's logic, many of them or their families wouldn't have made it into France in the first place.

Do you? Doesn't seem so, considering the wording you use every time these subjects come up, regarding any country anywhere.

In most cases, I'm a vehement opponent of nationalism, including in my own country. I believe most varieties thereof end up lending themselves to hatred and unwarranted exclusionary--or even violent--policies.

I suspect we have very different ideas about what cultural preservation entails; it seems we both support it but disagree on what such support should imply.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Disproportionately blaming certain issues on immigrants strikes me as fearmongering, yes.
If you'll re-read my first post on this thread you'll see that I said that Muslim immigration is one of the main things Europeans take issue with but it's not the only thing. So I don't think Le Pen is blaming it all on immigration. But it's certainly one of the main problems.
Nobody has a right to immigrate anywhere, but if there are no solid reasons to isolate one's country like that, then it seems to me such an approach should be criticized for putting up unnecessary barriers between different countries and people.
There you go again. Terminology that implies that you do not care about people preserving their cultural identity. "Unnecessary barriers" - because you seem to think that preservation of historical identity is unnecessary.
As just one example, the French soccer team that won the 2018 World Cup had a significant number of players from African descent. By Le Pen's logic, many of them or their families wouldn't have made it into France in the first place.
Possible. That doesn't necessarily mean it's racist. Of course, it also depends if Le Pen envisions a form of external intigration into the French national identity or not.
In most cases, I'm a vehement opponent of nationalism, including in my own country.
Yes, I've noticed.
I suspect we have very different ideas about what cultural preservation entails; it seems we both support it but disagree on what such support should imply.
Probably. I would guess that this is why you don't seem to understand why nationalism is on the rise in Europe.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
The situation with ethnic gangs in England is just a pitiful circus. I have British and even Arab friends living in England who have also told me that they completely stay away from certain neighborhoods. I don't know how or why the U.K. has allowed religious separatism and extremism to reach that point on its soil.

There are ethnic gangs sadly but this is the problem with immigration,I have no problem with it but they end up in one town for each culture so if you go to some parts of London it is a problem but not on the level of Belgium.

Altfish

Veteran Member
After the first round of the presidential election in France the French people are left with two choices,Macron or Le Pen,le Republic en marche or National Assembly of France,the first round was close but I think Macron will just make it but it will be close.

It’s quite worrying that the far right has grown so much in europe and in a country that suffered so much under fascism,if Le Pen wins it would be devastating for France and Europe and the EU as a whole,a far right president who admires Putin imagine that,Putin would be so happy.

Does the French election confirm the rise of the far right and not just in France but Europe as a whole?.
Yes, it does. Putin pulling the strings again.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
If you'll re-read my first post on this thread you'll see that I said that Muslim immigration is one of the main things Europeans take issue with but it's not the only thing. So I don't think Le Pen is blaming it all on immigration. But it's certainly one of the main problems.

I don't think a blanket ban on immigration is the solution to the problems arising from it. History shows us that more often than not, going to that length to isolate one's culture ends up creating bigger problems than it solves.

There you go again. Terminology that implies that you do not care about people preserving their cultural identity. "Unnecessary barriers" - because you seem to think that preservation of historical identity is unnecessary.

No, unnecessary barriers because preserving historical identity doesn't necessarily entail keeping out foreigners or viewing them as the source of a country's problems. There is a middle ground between "all immigration is good" and "immigration is bad for society." Many countries are doing just fine while standing on this middle ground. Canada and Australia are two examples: they aren't the easiest to immigrate to, but they also don't have a strict policy against immigration.

Possible. That doesn't necessarily mean it's racist. Of course, it also depends if Le Pen envisions a form of external intigration into the French national identity or not.

What Le Pen or other politicians envision doesn't always correspond to reality. Furthermore, I believe there are more sources of isolationism and fearmongering than racism.

Probably. I would guess that this is why you don't seem to understand why nationalism is on the rise in Europe.

Understanding the causes of something and viewing the response to those causes as entirely realistic or logical are different things. I understand many of the fears around immigration (especially as someone who struggles due to living in a largely conservative Arab culture), but as I said, I don't believe Le Pen's brand of nationalism is an appropriate way to address those fears.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
There are ethnic gangs sadly but this is the problem with immigration,I have no problem with it but they end up in one town for each culture so if you go to some parts of London it is a problem but not on the level of Belgium.

I would be interested to know what percentage of first-generation immigrants successfully integrated into their host cultures. A lot of my immigrant friends actually prefer to stay away from such towns precisely because they don't want anything to do with the isolationism.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I would be interested to know what percentage of first-generation immigrants successfully integrate into their host cultures. A lot of my immigrant friends actually prefer to stay away from such towns precisely because they don't want anything to do with the isolationism.

I think there are many,I have Scottish friends who’s parents who arrived from India but he’s very Scottish,the east end of London and maybe Birmingham are good places where cultures overlap well and the festival Divali people of all types mix.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think a blanket ban on immigration is the solution to the problems arising from it. History shows us that more often than not, going to that length to isolate one's culture ends up creating bigger problems than it solves.
Isolate? Who's talking about isolation? I highly doubt Le Pen is trying to turn France into a second North Korea.
No, unnecessary barriers because preserving historical identity doesn't necessarily entail keeping out foreigners or viewing them as the source of a country's problems
It certainly does, because immigration isn't a right. If a people decide that their identity is more important than allowing foreigners into their country, they should certainly be allowed to take actions towards that goal. Will of the people and all that stuff.
Many countries are doing just fine while standing on this middle ground. Canada and Australia are two examples: they aren't the easiest to immigrate to, but they also don't have a strict policy against immigration.
Interesting that you happened to choose two countries born out of immigrants.
What Le Pen or other politicians envision doesn't always correspond to reality. Furthermore, I believe there are more sources of isolationism and fearmongering than racism
Once again, who's talking here about isolation? You tossed this into the ring out of nowhere. Once again, whenever these topics come up, you toss in terms that have nothing to do with what's really going on, in an attempt to vilify anyone on the other side of the argument.
Understanding the causes of something and viewing the response to those causes as entirely realistic or logical are different things
True, but your terminology outs you as not being one who undersrands. See above remarks.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Isolate? Who's talking about isolation? I highly doubt Le Pen is trying to turn France into a second North Korea.

Not quite North Korea, but see, for example, her plans to suspend all immigration back in 2017:

French election: Le Pen pledges to suspend immigration

It certainly does, because immigration isn't a right. If a people decide that their identity is more important than allowing foreigners into their country, they should certainly be allowed to take actions towards that goal. Will of the people and all that stuff.

Being allowed doesn't equal being justified or reasonable. The Iranian government is technically allowed to adopt theocratic laws. That won't prevent me and others from heavily criticizing it, though.

Interesting that you happened to choose two countries born out of immigrants.

Immigrants have extensively contributed to French culture and economy as well. Besides, France's history of adventurism and interventionism in Africa and the Middle East, which continues to this day in some ways, also further complicates any endeavor to ban immigration. It doesn't exactly look consistent to have a foot in other countries but want to keep their legal immigrants out of yours.

Once again, who's talking here about isolation? You tossed this into the ring out of nowhere. Once again, whenever these topics come up, you toss in terms that have nothing to do with what's really going on, in an attempt to vilify anyone on the other side of the argument.

A suspension of immigration and drastic reduction thereof when France already isn't the easiest place to immigrate to seem to me like a form of isolation. Not on the level of North Korea or anything of the sort, as you said above, but it's also dramatically different from most developed democracies.

Also, my comments throughout the thread acknowledge multiple degrees of nationalism, so I don't see how my criticism of Le Pen's flavor thereof or seeing faults within someone's ideology is vilification of everyone who supports varying levels of nationalism.

True, but your terminology outs you as not being one who undersrands. See above remarks.

Seeing as how I'm far from alone in viewing Le Pen's politics this way and how a lot of French people view them similarly, I disagree with the above assessment.

I also think there's more to the rise of nationalism in European elections than readily meets the eye. For instance, a considerable portion of Brexit supporters were older voters, and the same is true for Le Pen's supporters. It says something that many younger voters chose neither Le Pen nor Macron and went for a more leftist candidate.

Nationalism in Europe is also far from its level of intensity at the beginning of the 20th century. I'm thankful that this is the case, since we saw how that turned out last time it was so intense and popular there.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Terminology that implies that you do not care about people preserving their cultural identity.
This idea of preserving cultural identity seems odd to me. Not just because cultures have always mingled and interacted in ways that has basically made multiculturalism a thing that goes at least as far back as human history (such as the Mediterranean countries) and there was still Egyptian, Greek, Persian and other cultures that lived around that particular body of water. It's also because America has long been massively multicultural yet there is still an American culture.
I suppose I may need more background info to better understand this issue.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Not quite North Korea, but see, for example, her plans to suspend all immigration back in 2017:

French election: Le Pen pledges to suspend immigration
I found this in your link:
"At a rally in Paris, Ms Le Pen said "I would decide on a moratorium on all legal immigration to stop this frenzy, this uncontrolled situation that is dragging us down".​

After that, she said, France would introduce "much more drastic, more reasonable, more humane, more manageable rules" on immigration."
Your point?
Being allowed doesn't equal being justified or reasonable. The Iranian government is technically allowed to adopt theocratic laws. That won't prevent
Is your problem with it because you think it will harm the French people or because you think people who immigrate deserve more benefits? If the latter, then I think that strengthens my point that you care little if not at all about the historical French identity.
Immigrants have extensively contributed to French culture and economy as well.
True. When the flow was moderate and manageable.
Besides, France's history of adventurism and interventionism in Africa and the Middle East, which continues to this day in some ways, also further complicates any endeavor to ban immigration.
Colonialism, for better or for worse, is a branch of nationalism. That means that it was done to further the national goals - for the better of the people of that country. Le Pen and who supporters hold a different view of what the better of the French people means than the views held by the more liberal leaders the country has had over the years.
It doesn't exactly look consistent to have a foot in other countries but want to keep their legal immigrants out of yours.
It is. The plan is the good of the people. That's a type of morality that appears to only be inconsistent with your type of morality.
A suspension of immigration and drastic reduction thereof when France already isn't the easiest place to immigrate to seem to me like a form of isolation. Not on the level of North Korea or anything of the sort, as you said above, but it's also dramatically different from most developed democracies.
And? Why is dramatically different bad? Here we go again. You want every country to be uniform. The same in every single way. They can't even have different democratic policies in your view! Yeesh.
Also, my comments throughout the thread acknowledge multiple degrees of
Yes, the most minimalistic of nationalism: waving a flag (or burning it?) and singing the French National Anthem on Bastille Day. As though national identity begins and ends with that.
so I don't see how my criticism of Le Pen's flavor thereof or seeing faults within someone's ideology is vilification of everyone who supports varying levels of nationalism.
Since the only form of nationalism you seem to be okay with is the most minimalistic and uniform sort, you equate any higher degree with terms such as "zealous", "extreme" and "isolated". That's vilifying.
Seeing as how I'm far from alone in viewing Le Pen's politics this way and how a lot of French people view them similarly, I disagree with the above assessment.
I have never stated that everyone agrees me on this. However, nationalism is on the rise. I expect more and more Europeans will join such movements over the coming years, for the reasons I wrote on this thread.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Does the French election confirm the rise of the far right and not just in France but Europe as a whole?.

It doesn't surprise me that much. There has been a steady rise in far-right ideologies since the end of the Cold War. That was also around the same time when U.S. Democrats veered away from an economic focus and started focusing on identity politics.

This seems to be a recurring theme throughout history that the powers that be never really seem to learn. They didn't learn it in the Postbellum U.S. They didn't learn it in 1920s Germany. They didn't learn it in 1990s Russia or Eastern Europe - or in the U.S. for that matter.

The lesson is: Never, ever neglect the working classes of your country. Always make sure that they are treated fairly and receive economic justice - even if it offends your sensibilities about giving them "free stuff." Capitalists never seem to learn this, as they think that working class people must always suffer - and then they wonder why they're so willing to shift to fascism.

Capitalism and nationalism are ideologically linked, as they're both rooted in natural law and social Darwinism.

The reason why people fear immigrants is not due to some irrational attachment to culture or identity, but more the fear that they and their own people will do without or be left out in the cold. The best way to counter that is to assure people that they will always be provided for and will never be left out in the cold.

But to make such assurances somehow offends capitalist sensibilities, as they think the lower classes deserve to suffer - just because they want them to. And therein lies the problem.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I found this in your link:
"At a rally in Paris, Ms Le Pen said "I would decide on a moratorium on all legal immigration to stop this frenzy, this uncontrolled situation that is dragging us down".​

After that, she said, France would introduce "much more drastic, more reasonable, more humane, more manageable rules" on immigration."
Your point?

My point is that she caters to hyperbolic assertions about immigration and echoes them. France has no "frenzy" when it comes to immigration: it hasn't opened its borders to refugees as much as, say, Germany or Sweden has, and it certainly hasn't done that for legal immigrants either.

Fair play to them (I generally oppose open-door immigration policies too), but she's kinda tilting at windmills to garner more votes even though there are genuine concerns about immigration buried under her hyperbolic messaging.

Is your problem with it because you think it will harm the French people or because you think people who immigrate deserve more benefits? If the latter, then I think that strengthens my point that you care little if not at all about the historical French identity.

Neither: my problem with it is that I'm against demonizing immigration and catering to fearmongering sentiments instead of tackling issues reasonably and proportionately.

Also, I find that argument to be a false dichotomy: it's entirely possible to allow immigration while maintaining national and historical identity. Pitting the two against each other as if they were inherently opposite goals is needlessly divisive and seems aimed at scapegoating immigration. It throws the baby out with the bathwater in lieu of adopting a nuanced approach.

True. When the flow was moderate and manageable.

Which is achievable without the stark measures proposed by Le Pen.

Colonialism, for better or for worse, is a branch of nationalism. That means that it was done to further the national goals - for the better of the people of that country. Le Pen and who supporters hold a different view of what the better of the French people means than the views held by the more liberal leaders the country has had over the years.

In my opinion, the above statement is a stronger argument against nationalism than anything I could have said here. You've just said that colonialism, an extant cause of millions of deaths as well as widespread exploitation globally, is a part of nationalism. This has historically had a major negative impact on my country and region, too.

Why shouldn't I strongly oppose or "vilify" an ideological leaning that has caused so much suffering where I live and elsewhere? If any ideology warrants that, it's one with outcomes as destructive as colonialism.

Needless to say, I view advancement of the "national goals" at the expense of the lives and stability of people elsewhere to be unethical, harmful, and fundamentally deserving of strong opposition. It's also inconsistent because it seeks to preserve one nation's culture and identity but has no issue with encroaching on the cultures and sovereignty of other nations to exploit their resources and advance the interests of a specific nation.

It is. The plan is the good of the people. That's a type of morality that appears to only be inconsistent with your type of morality.

Of course, and like almost everyone else, my type of morality is a hill I'm willing to die on, especially when another type of morality includes justifications for invading my country and/or exploiting it for another country's gain.

And? Why is dramatically different bad? Here we go again. You want every country to be uniform. The same in every single way. They can't even have different democratic policies in your view! Yeesh.

My point is that many other developed democracies are thriving and doing well without doing what Le Pen wants France to do. In this case, being dramatically different is a result of an artificial need rather than an actual one.

Yes, the most minimalistic of nationalism: waving a flag (or burning it?) and singing the French National Anthem on Bastille Day. As though national identity begins and ends with that.

I think this is another false dichotomy; there are a lot of points along the nationalist spectrum between the above and something like severely restricted immigration.

Furthermore, if a national identity entails painting with a broad brush and treating people from other countries as a threat regardless of individual differences, then it doesn't sound to me like a very desirable or defensible identity either. I see nothing wrong with evolving and improving one's identity instead of placing tradition above all other considerations.

Since the only form of nationalism you seem to be okay with is the most minimalistic and uniform sort, you equate any higher degree with terms such as "zealous", "extreme" and "isolated". That's vilifying.

You tell me: which levels of nationalism do not include colonialism, xenophobia, or generally negative sentiment toward other people and countries based on nothing but their place of origin? Those would be the levels I wouldn't consider zealous, extreme, or isolated. Otherwise I stand by those descriptions and remain ready to elaborate on why I do.

I have never stated that everyone agrees me on this. However, nationalism is on the rise. I expect more and more Europeans will join such movements over the coming years, for the reasons I wrote on this thread.

History is largely cyclical, and countries oscillate between wildly differing ideologies over various periods. While I think younger generations are definitely more open to globalism and multiculturalism, I also don't expect nationalism to fade away anytime soon. If anything, I expect it to exist for as long as humans exist. It's neither new nor surprising (and the same goes for multiculturalism).

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The idea that people will necessarily integrate well into a completely different culture when you allow mass immigration is as naive as it is dangerous. It is an undeniable fact that European and Arab (and Islamic) cultures are profoundly different. Expecting this to have no detrimental effects when allowing immigration en masse is just wishful thinking.
As someone who lives in a city recognized as the most multicultural in the world, I tend to disagree. (Not whole-heartedly, not strongly, but disagree none-the-less.)

Toronto is a city of 3 million or so, and with around half of its population born outside the country, Toronto is often referred to as 'the most multicultural city in the world.' The city boasts 200 ethnic groups with over 140 languages spoken.

But what makes us so interesting, in my opinion, is the effort we seem to put in to actually trying to get along, to learn about each other, and to assimilate as best we can, while respecting the limits beyond which others can't go.

We have street festivals every year, all over the city, celebrating cultures. Greek culture during "Taste of the Danforth," or Italian and Portuguese on College Street, Latino during "Salsa on St. Clair," or South Asian during the Festival of South Asia on Gerrard St. E. Oh, I'm forgetting the Ukrainian Festival in Bloor West Village, or the Polish fete on Roncesvalles Ave. And more, many more. A lot of Torontonians go to all or most of these every year, and enjoy ourselves immensely (while eating like pigs!)

The trick to multiculturalism, I think, is just really honestly wanting to get to know each other, and respecting each other's rights to be different -- while recognizing that we all have to live and work together. Of course we won't always get it right, and there will be friction and sometimes strife. But the truth is -- look at our history -- it just isn't happening much. We ARE getting along!

In my view, the right and far right want to "get along" with just the tiniest caveat -- that "you foreigners be like us." How much better to see whether "you foreigners" have anything that can make us all richer. And that is not, so far as I am able to see, something the right cares a lot about.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
My point is that she caters to hyperbolic assertions
All politicians do that. Next.
France has no "frenzy" when it comes to immigration: it hasn't opened its borders to refugees as much as, say, Germany or Sweden has, and it certainly hasn't done that for legal immigrants either.
And yet France has had some really bad terrorist attacks in the last few years, many done by immigrants or children of. Besides, quantity may not be the problem here in the eyes of French nationalists.
Neither: my problem with it is that I'm against demonizing immigration and catering to fearmongering sentiments instead of tackling issues reasonably and proportionately.
I think the fact that she has already stated that she has no problem with the concept of immigration and simply wants to reform it shows that she isn't demonizing. So your argument is irrelevant. And you're back to using that sort of terminology we talked about. Your article says the opposite of what you claim Le Pen believes and yet you're still trying to make her out to being some sort of crazy wannabe dictator.
In my opinion, the above statement is a stronger argument against nationalism than anything I could have said here.
Frankly, I'm not seeing it. I don't see Le Pen arguing for colonialism. Moreover,
You've just said that colonialism, an extant cause of millions of deaths as well as widespread exploitation globally, is a part of nationalism. This has historically had a major negative impact on my country and region, too.
here you are ignoring the fact that many Arab states across Africa and the Middle East were born out of Colonialism. Good for Egypt for having been independent for some of the time, but what of the rest?
Why shouldn't I strongly oppose or "vilify" an ideological leaning that has caused so much suffering where I live and elsewhere? If any ideology warrants that, it's one with outcomes as destructive as colonialism.
You have yet to show that all nationalism leads to colonialism. I will re-state something that I have said here already: Historical identities existed before the 19th century. The 19th century brought the colonialists boom, some of which was bad and some of which really moved along the development of the world as a whole. And prior to the 19th century? I expect you would try to argue that every bad thing that ever happened in the world was due to nationalism, which only goes to show that you are against nationalism, period, and think little of other people's historical identity.
Needless to say, I view advancement of the "national goals" at the expense of the lives
You make it sound like the French are out to kill everyone. Yet you have been unable to prove this so far.
Needless to say, I view advancement of the "national goals" at the expense of the lives and stability of people elsewhere to be unethical, harmful, and fundamentally deserving of strong opposition. It's also inconsistent because it seeks to preserve one nation's culture and identity but has no issue with encroaching on the cultures and sovereignty of other nations to exploit their resources and advance the interests of a specific nation.
Once again, painting with the brush of evil and extremism, yet no evidence. It seems to me that you are in fact in favor of a One World Order. Even the absolutionist governments of the 17th-18th centuries though working to bring down barriers were "for the good of the country" governments. Every country has more of an interest to help itself than other countries. You seem to be against countries getting to choose what's best for themselves.
I see nothing wrong with evolving and improving one's identity instead of placing tradition above all other considerations.
I see nothing wrong with that as well, but if people prefer their old identities? So they're isolationist, zealous extremists? That's an approach that seems to me to be extreme in itself. Perhaps even zealous in the manner you make your arguments.
You tell me: which levels of nationalism do not include colonialism, xenophobia, or generally negative sentiment toward other people and countries based on nothing but their place of origin?
As long as a country hasn't outright colonized anything, I don't see any reason to consider it a colonists. There were pre-19th century countries that didn't create colonies.
xenophobia, or generally negative sentiment toward other people and countries based on nothing but their place of origin?
It's not "nothing but their place of origin" and you know that. You seem to be continuously ignoring what national, historic identities are. Well, at least you're consistent with that. It's not nothing but their place of origin because it is everything about what we (group X under discussion) as a people went through together to reach the place we are in now. And outsiders did not go through that. Outsiders may not agree with our morals. Outsiders may not agree with our traditions. Might this lead to xenophobia? Perhaps. But so far you have been unable to show that anything bad will come from Le Pen's plans.
Once again, you are inching back to the argument that immigration is someone's right. No one has a right to that. You are also arguing that the people fo France don't get to decide what is best for their own country. So who gets to decide? You?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
It doesn't surprise me that much. There has been a steady rise in far-right ideologies since the end of the Cold War. That was also around the same time when U.S. Democrats veered away from an economic focus and started focusing on identity politics.

This seems to be a recurring theme throughout history that the powers that be never really seem to learn. They didn't learn it in the Postbellum U.S. They didn't learn it in 1920s Germany. They didn't learn it in 1990s Russia or Eastern Europe - or in the U.S. for that matter.

The lesson is: Never, ever neglect the working classes of your country. Always make sure that they are treated fairly and receive economic justice - even if it offends your sensibilities about giving them "free stuff." Capitalists never seem to learn this, as they think that working class people must always suffer - and then they wonder why they're so willing to shift to fascism.

Capitalism and nationalism are ideologically linked, as they're both rooted in natural law and social Darwinism.

The reason why people fear immigrants is not due to some irrational attachment to culture or identity, but more the fear that they and their own people will do without or be left out in the cold. The best way to counter that is to assure people that they will always be provided for and will never be left out in the cold.

But to make such assurances somehow offends capitalist sensibilities, as they think the lower classes deserve to suffer - just because they want them to. And therein lies the problem.

To quote King in platoon:

Everybody know the poor always being ****ed over by the rich. Always have, always will.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To quote King in platoon:

Everybody know the poor always being ****ed over by the rich. Always have, always will.

True, although from what I can gather, very few people seem to know that there are consequences for embracing such an ideal. One such consequence is that, the more people get screwed, the more they're inclined to support extremist or quasi-extremist politicians.

I've noticed this myself in my discussions with many people regarding history, politics, and how we got to the point we're at now. Over the past 5 or 6 years now, I've watched many confused people struggling to explain why/how Trump got elected in the first place. I've seen all kinds of threadbare excuses and specious explanations, from "it's the Russians' fault" to claims that the people who voted for Trump must be mentally retarded. They'll fall all over themselves just to avoid mentioning the elephant in the room, and that's what I find mystifying.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
True, although from what I can gather, very few people seem to know that there are consequences for embracing such an ideal. One such consequence is that, the more people get screwed, the more they're inclined to support extremist or quasi-extremist politicians.

I've noticed this myself in my discussions with many people regarding history, politics, and how we got to the point we're at now. Over the past 5 or 6 years now, I've watched many confused people struggling to explain why/how Trump got elected in the first place. I've seen all kinds of threadbare excuses and specious explanations, from "it's the Russians' fault" to claims that the people who voted for Trump must be mentally retarded. They'll fall all over themselves just to avoid mentioning the elephant in the room, and that's what I find mystifying.

Good point and really highlights what can happen when people become disaffected with the usual two horse race,for us it’s conservative or labour,for you republican or democrat,it’s like a vicious circle,same promises that never bear fruit and as in France people are fed up,it was a low turnout for the vote,Macron has a fight on his hands.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I love how everybody has got so sick of politics they're threatening to elect any scumbag to spite the politicians. Inspiring.

JIMMY12345

After the first round of the presidential election in France the French people are left with two choices,Macron or Le Pen,le Republic en marche or National Assembly of France,the first round was close but I think Macron will just make it but it will be close.

It’s quite worrying that the far right has grown so much in europe and in a country that suffered so much under fascism,if Le Pen wins it would be devastating for France and Europe and the EU as a whole,a far right president who admires Putin imagine that,Putin would be so happy.

Deepest apologies.Your post preceded mine my 10 minutes.I would not have posted mine had I had seen yours .Just minutes apart.Anyway Le Pens antipathy goes back to " Pere" Le Pen.France colonized Algeria over a century ago.In the 60's Algeria asked for independence.France did a polite "Non".Flattering for Algeria the French wanted to hang on to it.Algerian dissidents were tortured and killed.Le Pen's Father was in the paratroop brigade that kept "order" in Algeria.The Algerian liberation movement responded in kind.Brutality invites brutality.The French occupied up to 10% of the population of Algeria.However many Algerians were proud to be French.Although Muslim they integrated well with the Christian population.Years later Algerians did a reverse emigration to France.However some ended with poor housing and the meanest of jobs.The lot of immigrants world wide.Some of the younger generation did not have their elders patience and did not understand why they were denied the good life.General De Gaulle did not help.Which is why the OSS as in Day of the Jackal mounted a nearly successful assassination attempt on his Citroen DS. There was a ugly incident where scared Paris Police callously shot innocent protesting Algerians.The BBC have a excellent podcast which is my source and detailed on my post -10 mins after yours.