• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Balsamous

"What you think you become"-Buddha
Everything about you you're convinced of happens to you eventually. The mind can do miracles. Many people, if not all believe in a specific religion due to stories they hear. For example, a saint curing someone or a God saving someone from a misfortune. In all religions we hear such stories. Some people might create lies about such stories, but there are many true stories that are backed up with medical notices. Since such stories occur in different religions and with people from totally different beliefs we can infer that it's not the 'God' or the saint who is doing those miracles, but the mind. If you go to a test without studying and you pray before hand and pass as, a Christian, you'll think 'Jesus made me pass this test', as a Muslim, 'Allah' as a Hindustan 'Shiva'. But in fact a God never creates miracles, it's just what the human mind generates due to beliefs.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Obviously some people get the wrong ideas that passing a test is a miracle. Raising the dead is a miracle.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Everything about you you're convinced of happens to you eventually. The mind can do miracles. Many people, if not all believe in a specific religion due to stories they hear. For example, a saint curing someone or a God saving someone from a misfortune. In all religions we hear such stories. Some people might create lies about such stories, but there are many true stories that are backed up with medical notices. Since such stories occur in different religions and with people from totally different beliefs we can infer that it's not the 'God' or the saint who is doing those miracles, but the mind. If you go to a test without studying and you pray before hand and pass as, a Christian, you'll think 'Jesus made me pass this test', as a Muslim, 'Allah' as a Hindustan 'Shiva'. But in fact a God never creates miracles, it's just what the human mind generates due to beliefs.

It's self-fulfilling prophecy.

A self-fulfilling prophecy is when a person unknowingly causes a prediction to come true, due to the simple fact that he or she expects it to come true. In other words, an expectation about a subject, such as a person or event, can affect our behavior towards that subject, which causes the expectation to be realized.​

In that sense, if I was thinking of my grandmothers and how one grandma and I watched a painter on t.v. every afternoon. The show hasn't been on in years since this painter died, and for some weird reason someone mentions him on the bus later on during the day or I see his picture hanging in one the art stores I hadn't planed going into. Then, I notice this a lot of time with religious, then it becomes a blessing or a miracle because of the exception and event was supposedly connected to each where in reality not in my head (which is not wrong as people think it is), those two events are not connected.

If we lived on self-fulfilling prophecy with no religion, we'd pass it off as coincidence. In other cases, it is also synchronicity. All which have to do with how we interpret events and what we think not the actual events and "blessings" around us.

Other things that are not in the brain would be like my being pushed back from getting hit by a car. It wasn't me that pushed me back and I know I couldn't have fallen like that if I did. Is it the spirits? My grandmother?

In my brain and mind I say yes. Do they connect with each other, many religious would say yes to this as well. However, it is not wrong to say both events are isolated. I could have still been hit by a car or if I'm at a 7'11, still be pushed back for no apparent reason. But because those two were so closely related, it makes sense to assume it is not a coincidence just a part of life some people don't see unless they are religious of some sort.

Another example is someone taking the Eucharist at Church. If it was actually the Eucharist/Jesus who gave blessings, anyone who takes it Catholic or not would receive some type of reaction because Jesus is said to be love and so forth. However, that's not always the case.

Many Catholics who come to Mass already have the expectation that they will receive blessings from Christ. They build that exception by pray, though Mass and people of like-mind, and that "rush" feeling or sadness/happiness feeling is brought on by their minds interpretation and relation to the object (consecrated wine and bread), environment, and oneself.

I say that because if there was the same bread and wine at my living room table with religious items. My Catholic friend visits me. She knows that sometimes the priest comes to bless me when I can't go to Mass (analogy). She sees the consecrated bread and wine.

I hear a knock on my door. It's the priest that usually comes on a Tuesday. He remembers he consecrated the bread and wine last Tuesday so he doesn't do it again (even though I switched it but same bread/wine). We are given the bread and wine.

Nothing happens to me but something happens to my friend. She felt she just received jesus christ and she only received bread and wine. It wasn't consecrated.

So, it's in the mind and interpretation of our environment, people, and self. Nothing wrong with that. When it comes to miracles that's harder to see because the religious automatically assume god did this without second thought. If they took psychology, looked outside of themselves, and really see reality naked, they'd probably appreciate the synchronicity in life and thank god for those coincidence not miracles.

Balsamous

It's self-fulfilling prophecy.

A self-fulfilling prophecy is when a person unknowingly causes a prediction to come true, due to the simple fact that he or she expects it to come true. In other words, an expectation about a subject, such as a person or event, can affect our behavior towards that subject, which causes the expectation to be realized.​

In that sense, if I was thinking of my grandmothers and how one grandma and I watched a painter on t.v. every afternoon. The show hasn't been on in years since this painter died, and for some weird reason someone mentions him on the bus later on during the day or I see his picture hanging in one the art stores I hadn't planed going into. Then, I notice this a lot of time with religious, then it becomes a blessing or a miracle because of the exception and event was supposedly connected to each where in reality not in my head (which is not wrong as people think it is), those two events are not connected.

If we lived on self-fulfilling prophecy with no religion, we'd pass it off as coincidence. In other cases, it is also synchronicity. All which have to do with how we interpret events and what we think not the actual events and "blessings" around us.

Other things that are not in the brain would be like my being pushed back from getting hit by a car. It wasn't me that pushed me back and I know I couldn't have fallen like that if I did. Is it the spirits? My grandmother?

In my brain and mind I say yes. Do they connect with each other, many religious would say yes to this as well. However, it is not wrong to say both events are isolated. I could have still been hit by a car or if I'm at a 7'11, still be pushed back for no apparent reason. But because those two were so closely related, it makes sense to assume it is not a coincidence just a part of life some people don't see unless they are religious of some sort.

Another example is someone taking the Eucharist at Church. If it was actually the Eucharist/Jesus who gave blessings, anyone who takes it Catholic or not would receive some type of reaction because Jesus is said to be love and so forth. However, that's not always the case.

Many Catholics who come to Mass already have the expectation that they will receive blessings from Christ. They build that exception by pray, though Mass and people of like-mind, and that "rush" feeling or sadness/happiness feeling is brought on by their minds interpretation and relation to the object (consecrated wine and bread), environment, and oneself.

I say that because if there was the same bread and wine at my living room table with religious items. My Catholic friend visits me. She knows that sometimes the priest comes to bless me when I can't go to Mass (analogy). She sees the consecrated bread and wine.

I hear a knock on my door. It's the priest that usually comes on a Tuesday. He remembers he consecrated the bread and wine last Tuesday so he doesn't do it again (even though I switched it but same bread/wine). We are given the bread and wine.

Nothing happens to me but something happens to my friend. She felt she just received jesus christ and she only received bread and wine. It wasn't consecrated.

So, it's in the mind and interpretation of our environment, people, and self. Nothing wrong with that. When it comes to miracles that's harder to see because the religious automatically assume god did this without second thought. If they took psychology, looked outside of themselves, and really see reality naked, they'd probably appreciate the synchronicity in life and thank god for those coincidence not miracles.
i like what you said >>>

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Can you help amputees by letting them grow new limbs with your mind?

Ciao

- viole

Balsamous

Can you help amputees by letting them grow new limbs with your mind?

Ciao

- viole
I didn't mean miracles involving another intellectual. If you're that person and you believe 100% it would happen. But again, things that happen in our body externally are so hard to do since the person can never believe 100% that he'll grow his limb back. Hence, it's 'semi impossible' since the person has the image in his mind that he has a missing limb. However, if it's something internally like a blind person for example. If he dreams of a certain religious figure and that this figure will cure him, thus there's a big possibility he might be cured if he believes 100%. But having this strong faith is really hard to have. On the other hand, we all hear stories of people who dreamed that a specific saint cured them from a specific disease and they really do get cured.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Miracles are only proofs to those that witness them and then could be a result of an illusion or magic. The true miracles are the Life and Teachings of the Holy Teachers and the transforming affect they can have on our lives if we chose.

gnostic

The Lost One
Meaning, if you saw someone raised from the dead you would call it a miracle.
No...if you had told me you saw that, I would say one of the following:
  1. You are delusional. :imp:
  2. You are drunk...or high on LSD or stoned. :confused:
  3. Or you are lying. :eek:
That's not in any specific order.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I didn't mean miracles involving another intellectual. If you're that person and you believe 100% it would happen. But again, things that happen in our body externally are so hard to do since the person can never believe 100% that he'll grow his limb back. Hence, it's 'semi impossible' since the person has the image in his mind that he has a missing limb. However, if it's something internally like a blind person for example. If he dreams of a certain religious figure and that this figure will cure him, thus there's a big possibility he might be cured if he believes 100%. But having this strong faith is really hard to have. On the other hand, we all hear stories of people who dreamed that a specific saint cured them from a specific disease and they really do get cured.

Well, you hear those stories all the time.

What trobles me a bit is that miracles are always such that they might not be miracles at all. They often involve internal medicine, don't they? Or did you experienced blind people regaining sight without eyes?

Your explanation is not very convincing. i don't really see why semi impossible things cannot be cured, if you really really believe. That is what miracles are there for.

Alas, there is a much simpler, and more rational, explanation for this asymmetry of success rates between cancer related miracles and the total absence of growing limbs miracles.

Ciao

- viole

Balsamous

Well, you hear those stories all the time.

What trobles me a bit is that miracles are always such that they might not be miracles at all. They often involve internal medicine, don't they? Or did you experienced blind people regaining sight without eyes?

Your explanation is not very convincing. i don't really see why semi impossible things cannot be cured, if you really really believe. That is what miracles are there for.

Alas, there is a much simpler, and more rational, explanation for this asymmetry of success rates between cancer related miracles and the total absence of growing limbs miracles.

Ciao

- viole
Go read my newer thread i updated it