• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Power Of Prayer . . . . Or Not

Skwim

Veteran Member
Curiously, I came across a Mormon website on prayer.

In it, it lists "four steps to prayer" which are

1) Begin your prayer [how to address god]

2) Have a conversation with God [the content of your prayer]

3) End your prayer [what to say when you're all done]

4) Act on your righteous desires, which is explained as "There is wisdom in the saying, “Pray as if everything depends on the Lord, then work as if everything depends on you.” It is in the process of doing that we often get guidance and help from God."​

The fourth step here doesn't seem to be a step in prayer at all, but rather simple advice about how to proceed from then on. In any case, the real meat of the prayer lies in the "conversation" one is suppose to conduct with god. As stated in #3 one should:

"Speak from your heart and share your hopes and desires as well as your worries and problems. You can ask Him for help, direction, forgiveness, or healing. Whatever is on your mind, bring it to Him, acknowledging that His wisdom and timing are greater than yours. You can ask Him what He wants for you.

Share your feelings with God about others. You can pray for their needs or ask for ways you can love and help them.

Express appreciation to God for all the blessings in your life. Even challenges can be a blessing. This helps us feel humble, which keeps our hearts and minds more open to God's answers."

Now, I have no issue with someone deriving a benefit from sharing one's hopes, desires, worries, and problems with their god. To me the benefit is purely a psychological one. One little different than what a young child may get from sharing with her teddy bear. However, the idea that one may derive god's help by asking for it is a bit problematic.

To me it implies that god is ready to help people, but only if they actually ask for it. As an omniscient being god is fully aware of your needs, but isn't about to lift a finger to help out unless you get down on your hands and knees, clasp your hands, bow your head, and utter those words that will rouse him into action.

As a non-Christian, this seems quite petty if not all out brutish and cruel: "I don't really care if you suffer or not, but as long as you asked me, sure I'll give you a break, but just keep in mind, it's only because you asked." Of course this isn't at all fool proof. Many times god will ignore prayers of help, and go on with other tasks at hand, either because you're not worthy of his assistance or he's simply not in the mood. I don't say this sarcastically, but only because a whole lot of people offer up a whole lot of prayers that go unanswered.

So what's the deal with the loving, omnibenevolent god of Abraham that he needs to be asked before lending a helping hand, which may or may not get his attention?

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So what's the deal with the loving, omnibenevolent god of Abraham that he needs to be asked before lending a helping hand, which may or may not get his attention?

Even as a Christian, it seemed a weird idea that we needed to tell God what we needed. The "Lord's Prayer" Is let thy will be done. Somehow folks started thinking that's it's ok to tell God what God needs to do. This seems more in line with pagan beliefs. Roman's asking various God's for favors.

Jesus kind of ask for a favor once, even then said only if it was God's will to do so. Apparently it wasn't.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

4) Act on your righteous desires, which is explained as "There is wisdom in the saying, “Pray as if everything depends on the Lord, then work as if everything depends on you.” It is in the process of doing that we often get guidance and help from God."​

The fourth step here doesn't seem to be a step in prayer at all, but rather simple advice about how to proceed from then on. In any case, the real meat of the prayer lies in the "conversation" one is suppose to conduct with god. As stated in #3 one should:

"Speak from your heart and share your hopes and desires as well as your worries and problems. You can ask Him for help, direction, forgiveness, or healing. Whatever is on your mind, bring it to Him, acknowledging that His wisdom and timing are greater than yours. You can ask Him what He wants for you.

Share your feelings with God about others. You can pray for their needs or ask for ways you can love and help them.

Express appreciation to God for all the blessings in your life. Even challenges can be a blessing. This helps us feel humble, which keeps our hearts and minds more open to God's answers."

Now, I have no issue with someone deriving a benefit from sharing one's hopes, desires, worries, and problems with their god. To me the benefit is purely a psychological one. One little different than what a young child may get from sharing with her teddy bear. However, the idea that one may derive god's help by asking for it is a bit problematic.

To me it implies that god is ready to help people, but only if they actually ask for it. As an omniscient being god is fully aware of your needs, but isn't about to lift a finger to help out unless you get down on your hands and knees, clasp your hands, bow your head, and utter those words that will rouse him into action.

As a non-Christian, this seems quite petty if not all out brutish and cruel: "I don't really care if you suffer or not, but as long as you asked me, sure I'll give you a break, but just keep in mind, it's only because you asked." Of course this isn't at all fool proof. Many times god will ignore prayers of help, and go on with other tasks at hand, either because you're not worthy of his assistance or he's simply not in the mood. I don't say this sarcastically, but only because a whole lot of people offer up a whole lot of prayers that go unanswered.

A conversation with God, seriously?

InChrist

Free4ever

It's not that God needs anything, but that God desires on-going loving, relationship with believers and those who pray/converse with Him. Humans were created for relationship with the One who created them. God has given us the privilege of participating with Him in His work, in the lives of others or our own by sharing all our concerns with Him.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
It's not that God needs anything, but that God desires on-going loving, relationship with believers and those who pray/converse with Him. Humans were created for relationship with the One who created them. God has given us the privilege of participating with Him in His work, in the lives of others or our own buy sharing all our concerns with Him.

It is really something the way you guys know what
"god" likes or wants, without so much as a "I believe".

InChrist

Free4ever
It is really something the way you guys know what
"god" likes or wants, without so much as a "I believe".
I stand corrected... I should have said, "I believe". I also believe that I wouldn't have clue about what God likes or wants were it not for His revelation to humanity through the biblical scriptures and Jesus Christ.

Audie

Veteran Member
I stand corrected... I should have said, "I believe". I also believe that I wouldn't have clue about what God likes or wants were it not for His revelation to humanity through the biblical scriptures and Jesus Christ.

That is a lot more honest humility than we usually see.

ManSinha

We have had separate threads on whether people would be okay with others praying for them. In the same vein - i do not believe there is anything wrong in having a conversation with what one might consider a metaphysical entity. However the dharmic idea of god - if you will - is not transactional in the quid pro quo sense. So as someone pointed out earlier - "Ask for money or a good job or that x person to reciprocate your love etc" and very likely there will be nothing but defeaning silence.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's not that God needs anything, but that God desires on-going loving, relationship with believers and those who pray/converse with Him.
Well, a lot of people believe he needs to be asked, which is why they do it. In fact, I bet you've done it yourself; asked god to do something for you.

InChrist

Free4ever
Well, a lot of people believe he needs to be asked, which is why they do it. In fact, I bet you've done it yourself; asked god to do something for you.

Yes, I have, but I don't think it is God that needs to be asked, though He lovingly desires us to relate to Him, to trust Him. It is us that need to ask because the asking, the communicating, the seeking of God for our needs and others is beneficial for our well-being, and it includes us in God's love and concern for everyone. I believe we were wired and created to be connected to our Creator.

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

I think perhaps the Lord's prayer is a better model

other outlines include IOUS
One Way to Avoid Vain Repetition
this article has some suggestions for avoiding vain repetition

In chapter nine of When I Don’t Desire God, John Piper introduces a memorable and helpful acronym for what to pray before reading Scripture: I. O. U. S.

• Incline my heart to you, not to prideful gain or any false motive. (Psalm 119:36)
  • Open my eyes to behold wonderful things in your Word. (Psalm 119:18)
  • Unite my heart to fear your name. (Psalm 86:11)
  • Satisfy me with your steadfast love. (Psalm 90:14)unquote
i

ManSinha

A conversation with God, seriously?

if you have been in an Adventist organization - they usually start their meetings with a prayer that is literally thanks the father in heaven for the good season, the rain or the meal one might have just had and asks for guidance for whatever topic the meeting is about - almost like a conversation

Comparably in the Sikh Ardaas - the prayer recited at the end of most ceremonies - there is a set format and then a free form where the person leading the session will often hold a brief conversation in much the similar way before winding it up

So - yes a conversation with the Lord

A friend has this to add "The Lord is very polite - will not interrupt your talking - but IF you manage to shut your mind up and clear it - every now and then he might say something back to you"

InChrist

Free4ever
Then why bother doing it?

I thought I tried to answer that already. I believe God wants us involved in a living relationship with Himself, which includes conversation, giving thanks, seeking His wisdom, direction, help, for our own needs and those of others.
I believe we were created to be connected to our Creator. Prayer does that, we need it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I thought I tried to answer that already. I believe God wants us involved in a living relationship with Himself, which includes conversation, giving thanks, seeking His wisdom, direction, help, for our own needs and those of others.
I believe we were created to be connected to our Creator. Prayer does that, we need it.
So asking for help is just going through the motions---god just likes to be asked to the party---is that it? In any case, god was about to help, OR NOT, regardless of what you did. In effect, praying to god for help is pointless because god has already made up his mind; he will help or he wont.

InChrist

Free4ever
So asking for help is just going through the motions---god just likes to be asked to the party---is that it? In any case, god was about to help, OR NOT, regardless of what you did. In effect, praying to god for help is pointless because god has already made up his mind; he will help or he wont.

No, it's not just going through motions. I don't consider it merely "going through motions" when I talk to my husband, other family members, or friends. Interacting with others is a major aspect of relating to people. As I said, I believe God created humans for the purpose of being in relationship with Himself and others... this requires communication and interaction. God made us to be close to Him, dependent on Him, and involved in His plan, His work, His concern for His creation: others and the world around us. Sure God may do what He is going to do without anyone's prayer, but He designed and desires to involve humans and to include us in something greater than ourselves. When people prayer it lifts them up and draws them out of their limitations into a larger place with God and His work in their own lives, the lives of others, and the world.
You could try to at least grasp what I'm saying.

ManSinha

When people prayer it lifts them up and draws them out of their limitations into a larger place with God and His work in their own lives, the lives of others, and the world.

There are some that believe that gods die when people stop believing in them - your post would appear to support that view to an extent - although I disagree with a few statements you made

dependent on Him
Not really - if you say that we have free will

nvolved in His plan
That is faith again is it not - no way of knowing

He designed and desires to involve humans and to include us in something greater than ourselves
Agree with that - the known history of humankind bears proof that we are constantly trying to improve our lot

To me it implies that god is ready to help people, but only if they actually ask for it. As an omniscient being god is fully aware of your needs, but isn't about to lift a finger to help out unless you get down on your hands and knees, clasp your hands, bow your head, and utter those words that will rouse him into action....
...So what's the deal with the loving, omnibenevolent god of Abraham that he needs to be asked before lending a helping hand, which may or may not get his attention?

I think it is more about giving permission to God to act. If people want to live Godless way, they can do so and God doesn’t force His help on people. But fi person wants help really, even wordless sighting is heard.

In the same way, the Spirit also helps our weaknesses, for we don't know how to pray as we ought. But the Spirit himself makes intercession for us with groanings which can't be uttered.
Romans 8:26

For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.

Ps. 12:5(12:6)