• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Philosophy, the love of wisdom, the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence.

What happens if all that was not a choice?

I offer these two thoughts to discuss which was given by Baha'u'llah in the Súriy-i-Haykal

"...Within the treasury of Our Wisdom there lies unrevealed a knowledge, one word of which, if we chose to divulgeit to mankind, would cause every human being to recognize the Manifestation of God and to acknowledge His omniscience, would enable every one to discover the secrets of all the sciences, and to attain so high a station as to find himself wholly independent of all past and future learning. Other knowledges We do as well possess, not a single letter of which We can disclose, nor do We find humanity able to hear even the barest reference to their meaning. Thus have We informed you of the Knowledge of God, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise...."

"...It is in Our power, should We wish it, to enable a speck of floating dust to generate, in less than the twinkling of an eye, suns of infinite, of unimaginable splendour, to cause a dewdrop to develop into vast and numberless oceans, to infuse into every letter such a force as to empower it to unfold all the knowledge of past and future ages..."

The Revelation of Bahá'u'lláh, Volume 3, Chapter 7

So the passages offer that all that knowledge was beyond our capacity, it appears we have a very great capacity we are not ready for.

So what do you see those barriers would have been, are the barriers still in place?

Regards Tony

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Philosophy, the love of wisdom, the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence.

I offer these two thoughts to discuss which was given by Baha'u'llah in the Súriy-i-Haykal

"...Within the treasury of Our Wisdom there lies unrevealed a knowledge, one word of which, if we chose to divulgeit to mankind, would cause every human being to recognize the Manifestation of God and to acknowledge His omniscience, would enable every one to discover the secrets of all the sciences, and to attain so high a station as to find himself wholly independent of all past and future learning. Other knowledges We do as well possess, not a single letter of which We can disclose, nor do We find humanity able to hear even the barest reference to their meaning. Thus have We informed you of the Knowledge of God, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise...."

"...It is in Our power, should We wish it, to enable a speck of floating dust to generate, in less than the twinkling of an eye, suns of infinite, of unimaginable splendour, to cause a dewdrop to develop into vast and numberless oceans, to infuse into every letter such a force as to empower it to unfold all the knowledge of past and future ages..."

So the passages offer that all that knowledge was beyond our capacity, it appears we have a very great capacity we are not ready for.

So what do you see those barriers would have been, are the barriers still in place?

Regards Tony

You probably know that the sentences you have quoted make your prophet look like a con artist, right?

Look, I have this huge and amazing secret but I can't really tell you because you are too stupid to undestand it any way. Maybe later, but not now. But trust me when I tell you it is a mind blowing secret.

I am sorry, but there aren't such barriers...

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Regards Tony
Speaking only from my understanding and view.
A reason that humans struggle to see the wisdom lays within our ego, to truly grasp the wisdom humans would have to let go of everything they think they know. And learn to listen and watch in a new way.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You probably know that the sentences you have quoted make your prophet look like a con artist, right?

Look, I have this huge and amazing secret but I can't really tell you because you are too stupid to undestand it any way. Maybe later, but not now. But trust me when I tell you it is a mind blowing secret.

That's OK. If you see it that way.

But what about the Philosophical implications.

I see there is a lot of possibilities we are not.yet aware of, may be a higher wisdom does keep us away from its discovery.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Speaking only from my understanding and view.
A reason that humans struggle to see the wisdom lays within our ego, to truly grasp the wisdom humans would have to let go of everything they think they know. And learn to listen and watch in a new way.

I see that is sound reasoning.

Regards Tony

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I see there is a lot of possibilities we are not.yet aware of, may be a higher wisdom does keep us away from its discovery.

Regards Tony
I have to agree with @Koldo . Any appeal to any illusions of higher, secret, unattainable , so called 'knowledge' is pretty much worthless, other than being used as a carrot on a stick for pointless allusions suggesting or claiming that there is substance behind any supposed mystery that in reality never shows up.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity

That's actually pretty common throughout the history of philosophy.

Platonism, Taoism, even some Enlightenment philosophy had aspects that were considered inappropriate for an uninitiated public, and were only available to dedicated students, often sworn to secrecy.

Arguably our modern university system is a residue of that thinking, too.

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity

Regards Tony
I can't think of any possible example that would substantiate such a conclusion. Do you have any?

danieldemol

Premium Member
One of the barriers to knowledge is the following of people who make tall claims to knowledge, but are either unable to demonstrate knowledge, or are unwilling to (in which case for all practical purposes they may as well be unable to demonstrate it).

In my opinion.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can't think of any possible example that would substantiate such a conclusion. Do you have any?

How about scientific discoveries, maybe they are a way to learn and at the same time, if misused also a punishment.

2 Peter 3 verse 10

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

And verse 12

12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

This could hint to a day of atomic potential, there are also other passages that point to a world like we live in today.

Then we are told again before we find such a power as Baha’u’llah issued a veiled warning about nuclear weapons in the 1880s, long before they were ever invented or used:

Truly I say: Moderation is desirable in every affair, and when it is exceeded it leads to detriment. Consider the civilization of the people of the Occident—how it has occasioned commotion and agitation to the people of the world. There has appeared an infernal instrument, and such atrocity is displayed in the destruction of life, the like of which was not seen by the eye of the world, nor heard by the ears of nations. It is impossible to reform these violent, overwhelming evils, except the peoples of the world be come united in affairs, or in one religion. Hearken ye unto the voice of this oppressed One, and adhere to the Most Great Peace!

And again Baha’u’llah offered,

…the light of divine knowledge and heavenly grace hath illumined and inspired the essence of all created things, in such wise that in each and every thing a door of knowledge hath been opened, and within every atom traces of the sun hath been made manifest. – Baha’u’llah, The Book of Certitude, pp. 29-30.

If that was not clear, then again,

A strange and wonderful instrument exists in the earth; but it is concealed from minds and souls. It is an instrument which has the power to change the atmosphere of the whole earth, and its infection causes destruction. – Baha’u’llah, Baha’i World Faith, p. 183.

Then in the 1900's Abdul'baha speaking to Japan’s Viscount Arakawa, Ambassador to Spain offers this,

"Scientific discoveries have greatly increased material civilization. There is in existence a stupendous force, as yet, happily, undiscovered by man. Let us supplicate God, the Beloved, that this force be not discovered by science until Spiritual Civilization, i.e. the Kingdom, shall dominate the human mind. In the hands of men of lower material nature, this power would be able to destroy the whole earth." – Japan Will Turn Ablaze, p. 51.

There are a lot more warnings such as these.

So there is indeed power available way beyond atomic, atomic may have been our warning, will we find knowledge that we use for destruction, or is it being held back until our unity is firmly established, so we will not use that power for destruction?

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One of the barriers to knowledge is the following of people who make tall claims to knowledge, but are either unable to demonstrate knowledge, or are unwilling to (in which case for all practical purposes they may as well be unable to demonstrate it).

In my opinion.

I see that opinion may very well stray from the path of the best knowledge available to us as a human race, but you are more than free to have that opinion.

Regards Tony