• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The possible extradition of Julian Assange and journalism

HonestJoe

I thought Sweden reopened their case against Assange. Aren't they requesting extradition as well?
Yes, I was just pointing out that they didn’t seek to give him more attention and, once they thought they couldn’t proceed with their case, did indeed ignore him.

The fact that he gets donations and is thought of as a hero in various circles is actually a sad commentary on the culture of government (mainly in the US, although it seems to be similar in other Western countries).
I don’t see how. This kind of playing the victim for attention and funding long predates any contemporary government. He isn’t doing anything new, though he is adept at using modern tools to achieve it.

It's too late to cry foul if someone gets hold of their dirty laundry and airs it out in public, because it's still their dirty laundry. The whole focus on Assange is to distract people and turn their attention away from their dirty laundry and make the messenger into a scapegoat (or martyr, depending on one's point of view).
The focus on Assange is because he hid out in the embassy for seven years. There are other people involved in this leak and similar ones, releasing just as embarrassing information, who haven’t garnered anything like the same level of mainstream attention. Assange’s weird self-promotion is the key difference.

Note that the “dirty laundry” he was involved with releasing (along with all the mostly clean laundry that went with it) has been long forgotten by everybody. This was never about the crimes and misdemeanours apparently evidenced by some of the data, except possibly in the mind of Manning in the very first place.

But if it's involving government atrocities, malfeasance, corruption, black ops, or any attempts to cover things up and hide the truth from the public, then that's a different kettle of fish.
And again, if that is all that they’d published, we wouldn’t be talking about it. The problem remains the vast amount of other data WikiLeaks published (or negligently allowed to go public) data which had the real potential to do harm to (at least largely) innocent people. Reporting leaked evidence of actual crimes has never been a major issue for legitimate journalists. Assange and WikiLeaks are trying to push much further than that while disingenuously claiming that they’re no different.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, although it may have begun even before Obama. The interesting thing about this is that, while much hay is made about Trump's war with the press, it seems the governments of the UK and Sweden are aiding and abetting certain US political factions which routinely run up against the press.
About Obama & whistle blowers....
Obama's Crackdown on Whistleblowers
I'm guessing this didn't get a lot of attention because Democrats
wouldn't criticize one of their own, & Republicans tend to oppose
whistle blowers who rat out government.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
About Obama & whistle blowers....
Obama's Crackdown on Whistleblowers
I'm guessing this didn't get a lot of attention because Democrats
wouldn't criticize one of their own, & Republicans tend to oppose
whistle blowers who rat out government.

Democrats used to have no problem criticizing one of their own. I can't explain why this didn't get a lot of attention, though. The media have changed quite a bit since the 60s and 70s, when they were more open to the idea of ratting out government. They're not like that anymore.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I thought Sweden reopened their case against Assange. Aren't they requesting extradition as well?

I think WikiLeaks will still go on, with or without Assange. No doubt there will be plenty of those who would want to continue to do that kind of crusade against excessive governmental secrecy. I don't think that punishing Assange would thwart or discourage very many people from doing what he did.

The fact that he gets donations and is thought of as a hero in various circles is actually a sad commentary on the culture of government (mainly in the US, although it seems to be similar in other Western countries). This has very little to do with Assange; he may very well be a bad person with a hidden agenda.

But the fact that anyone can capitalize on the widespread cynicism and mistrust regarding the US and other Western governments is an indication that government and its media supporters have been doing a poor job at fostering trust and goodwill among the body politic.

It's too late to cry foul if someone gets hold of their dirty laundry and airs it out in public, because it's still their dirty laundry. The whole focus on Assange is to distract people and turn their attention away from their dirty laundry and make the messenger into a scapegoat (or martyr, depending on one's point of view).

If it was like that, then I guess they could be criticized for not organizing their data in any coherent way. But that's more a matter of form and presentation.

But I would also say that it depends on what is actually being released and under what circumstances. I mentioned in an earlier post that the US is not currently at war with any nation - at least not any official, declared war with another sovereign country. If it's during a war and someone publishes secret battle plans of an impending attack, then I could see why they would try to stop that. We don't want the enemy to know our battle plans or any secret weapons or laboratories. In some cases, we don't even want our friends to find out about these things.

But if it's involving government atrocities, malfeasance, corruption, black ops, or any attempts to cover things up and hide the truth from the public, then that's a different kettle of fish.
Yes, the case has been reopened. In fact some in Sweden were pushing for an arrest in absentia, but that was rejected, at this time. It may be granted when more evidence comes:

Blow to Swedish prosecutors in Assange case

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I was just pointing out that they didn’t seek to give him more attention and, once they thought they couldn’t proceed with their case, did indeed ignore him.

Well, someone still must have been keeping tabs on him and watching the embassy where he was staying. Otherwise, he could have slipped away quietly when no one was looking. Obviously, not everyone was ignoring him.

I don’t see how. This kind of playing the victim for attention and funding long predates any contemporary government. He isn’t doing anything new, though he is adept at using modern tools to achieve it.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you speak of playing the victim for attention and funding "long predates any contemporary government."

I'm sure there are plenty of cases of people playing the victim for attention and funding, but there have also been plenty of real victims of real governments as well. I think that's the point that is being made here. Government does produce victims and often lies about it - and the people out there thirst to hear some semblance of truth as to what is being done in their name.

As it's often been said, the people have a right to know. That being the case, those who help to facilitate and extend that right will be seen as holding the moral high ground over those who try to obstruct and restrict that right.

The focus on Assange is because he hid out in the embassy for seven years. There are other people involved in this leak and similar ones, releasing just as embarrassing information, who haven’t garnered anything like the same level of mainstream attention. Assange’s weird self-promotion is the key difference.

Is that it? I haven't really visited WikiLeaks and would not have known about Assange if not for the coverage in the mainstream and international media. There are countless bloggers and YouTube philosophers out there involved in self-promotion. Only a certain select few reach this level of notoriety.

What does seem evident is that someone - somewhere - wants Assange to look bad. I noticed this pretty much right when his name started to crop up more often in the news. The easiest, most traditional way of blackening someone's reputation and making them look bad is associating them with a sex crime, which is what ended up happening. I've noticed a steady stream of negative reporting on the guy, culminating with his being kicked out of the Ecuadorian embassy because he was a messy guy who refused to clean up after his cat. (I never did find out whatever happened to the cat.)

Note that the “dirty laundry” he was involved with releasing (along with all the mostly clean laundry that went with it) has been long forgotten by everybody. This was never about the crimes and misdemeanours apparently evidenced by some of the data, except possibly in the mind of Manning in the very first place.

That could be. From what I can gather, Manning seems to be the real culprit here, at least in terms of turning over data to unauthorized parties.

And again, if that is all that they’d published, we wouldn’t be talking about it. The problem remains the vast amount of other data WikiLeaks published (or negligently allowed to go public) data which had the real potential to do harm to (at least largely) innocent people. Reporting leaked evidence of actual crimes has never been a major issue for legitimate journalists. Assange and WikiLeaks are trying to push much further than that while disingenuously claiming that they’re no different.

I haven't read all that they've published, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Perhaps if you gave me some examples of something that was published by WikiLeaks which could harm innocent people.

"Legitimate" journalists (however one defines it) also sometimes harm innocent people in the course of their jobs. It happens.

HonestJoe

Well, someone still must have been keeping tabs on him and watching the embassy where he was staying. Otherwise, he could have slipped away quietly when no one was looking. Obviously, not everyone was ignoring him.
I think we’re talking at cross purposes here. When I’m saying attention, I’m talking about the high-profile media attention. Clearly the manner in which authorities persue a case can lead to lots of or very little media cover and therefore public awareness. I’m suggesting that the various authorities in this case didn’t want that media coverage and most of the coverage was actively instigated by Assange and WikiLeaks on his behalf.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you speak of playing the victim for attention and funding "long predates any contemporary government."
I was countering the idea that Assange is something special or new and therefore some kind of evidence of anything special or new within government and authority.

As it's often been said, the people have a right to know.
That is a much bigger set of questions around exactly what people have a right to know and who gets to decide where the line is drawn. Regardless of his principles or the rights and wrongs of his actions, I don’t think Assange was ever a good person to actually raise and debate those questions and makes a flawed figurehead for any kind of argument for greater transparacy. I’m not even sure Assange and WikiLeaks have seriously engaged in those discussions and debates, they’re just presented themselves as the definitive and unquestionable answer.

What does seem evident is that someone - somewhere - wants Assange to look bad.
Just because he looks bad doesn’t automatically mean that was all as the deliberate actions of other people. It’s perfectly possible some or all of his various issues over the last few years involved something like that but I don’t think it’s certainly, especially or it all and I’m not convinced there is any kind of definitive singular conspiracy against him rather than a range of individuals and organisations acting in their own perceived self-interests, himself included.

That could be. From what I can gather, Manning seems to be the real culprit here, at least in terms of turning over data to unauthorized parties.
Really? The core defence for WikiLeaks is that Manning was an honest whistle-blower. If he was wrong to leak the data (or at least some of it), WikiLeaks would be wrong to publish that data too.

I haven't read all that they've published, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Perhaps if you gave me some examples of something that was published by WikiLeaks which could harm innocent people.
It’s long been an open question but to my mind somewhat inevitable as a consequence of their operations. This is the first random report I found on the topic; Is Wikileaks putting lives at risk?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think we’re talking at cross purposes here. When I’m saying attention, I’m talking about the high-profile media attention. Clearly the manner in which authorities persue a case can lead to lots of or very little media cover and therefore public awareness. I’m suggesting that the various authorities in this case didn’t want that media coverage and most of the coverage was actively instigated by Assange and WikiLeaks on his behalf.

I'm not sure how Assange or WikiLeaks could have done that on their own. And as we both seem to agree, the coverage of Assange has not been positive, so why would Assange actively encourage media coverage to make himself look bad?

I was countering the idea that Assange is something special or new and therefore some kind of evidence of anything special or new within government and authority.

I was just wondering what other past examples you might have been thinking of. Perhaps Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers might be an example, but many people consider that he was both a victim and a hero.

That is a much bigger set of questions around exactly what people have a right to know and who gets to decide where the line is drawn. Regardless of his principles or the rights and wrongs of his actions, I don’t think Assange was ever a good person to actually raise and debate those questions and makes a flawed figurehead for any kind of argument for greater transparacy. I’m not even sure Assange and WikiLeaks have seriously engaged in those discussions and debates, they’re just presented themselves as the definitive and unquestionable answer.

One thing that WikiLeaks seems to have done is force such a discussion and debate over what the public has a right to know. Before then, the public had to be content with the utterances of a paternalistic government which decides "we will tell you what we think you need to know," along with a spineless media which mostly goes along with it. There are no more Ellsbergs or Woodwards or Bernsteins anymore, and it's because of this that people like Assange have risen to the forefront.

All the media do now is regurgitate press releases from government and Corporate America. If the leaders of today's media had been in charge back in the 1960s and 70s, there'd have been no civil rights movement, no anti-war movement, and no one would ever have heard of Watergate.

Just because he looks bad doesn’t automatically mean that was all as the deliberate actions of other people. It’s perfectly possible some or all of his various issues over the last few years involved something like that but I don’t think it’s certainly, especially or it all and I’m not convinced there is any kind of definitive singular conspiracy against him rather than a range of individuals and organisations acting in their own perceived self-interests, himself included.

It's difficult to say for certain, although all anyone can really do is look at the finished product of what is being presented for public consumption.

Really? The core defence for WikiLeaks is that Manning was an honest whistle-blower. If he was wrong to leak the data (or at least some of it), WikiLeaks would be wrong to publish that data too.

Not necessarily. If military personnel and government employees sign an oath vowing that they will never release such data to unauthorized parties, then they're on the hook for it if/when they do. Those who receive such data never took such an oath and are not bound by it.

It’s long been an open question but to my mind somewhat inevitable as a consequence of their operations. This is the first random report I found on the topic; Is Wikileaks putting lives at risk?

Interesting article. But as I said, there are times when even the legitimate press may harm innocent people in the pursuit of truth. It does happen, and it's a larger question as to whether an individual's right to be protected outweighs the public's right to know on matters of public interest.

Shad

Veteran Member
A key difference here is that, in the case of Assange, all of it happened on foreign soil. Lincoln didn't have the power to censor newspapers in Europe during the Civil War, and it's doubtful that they could have extradited anyone for saying negative things about the US government.

Consider modern regulations and licensing combined with modern communication technology. Government can revoke operation licensing for TV. The only gaps in the law are around the internet.

Another key difference is that, despite all the heated rhetoric and saber-rattling, there is no war going on - at least not between the US, Russia, Iran, and/or China.

A war isn't required. A war was a primary example which is hard to knockdown when the war is seen as justice. General leaks to the Press can be used as a reason especially if those leaks are of important operations, technology, military movement.

Even in the event of war, it would be one thing to reveal secret battle plans or technology for new weapons. But to reveal information about government atrocities or wrongdoing would be yet a different matter.

Nope. The Press and witnesses were suppressed when US sailors shot Japanese sailors in the water. This information came out after the war. No charges were filled against anyone to my knowledge.

The question is: Should a free and unfettered press be favored as a further check and balance on government? Is that the true purpose of the Fourth Estate? Is that the only way to "keep government honest," as it were?

It is a balancing act typically made after the fact. An unfettered Press is a problem as it leaves far too many individual with questionable judgement deciding what to release without consequence. A restricted Press can lead to State media. Depends on the context of what is released as well. There is no clear cut answer in my view that can cover everything.

Moreover, if the government turns out to be incompetent, corrupt, ineffective, and/or unduly secretive or oppressive, does that indicate a failure of government or a failure of the Fourth Estate to act in their proper role as watchdog for the government?

Bit of column A, a bit of column B and the voters of course. Taking into consideration I do not accept the 4th estate's role as real. It is an ideal that I do not see as a general practice in reality. Sure there a few rare cases. However coverage for a lot of topics can be determined just by the source.

The reason for that last question is that I find it interesting that people are seeking out "workarounds" such as Wikileaks and other sites which are outside of the conventional mainstream media. It would indicate that the mainstream media have somehow failed the people and have become part of the corrupt political machines which are part of the problem.

I think media for most of it's existence has been party to a politics, and religion in part. I think the change is technology has enabled the masses to access a lot of information, and misinformation, which causes people to doubt claims from a lot of MSM sources. MSM has been caught distorting information for it's own purposes so MSM is not innocent.

HonestJoe

I'm not sure how Assange or WikiLeaks could have done that on their own. And as we both seem to agree, the coverage of Assange has not been positive, so why would Assange actively encourage media coverage to make himself look bad?
All publicity is good publicity? His desire for attention outweighs his sense of self-preservation? He remains naive about how the press will run with his public statements? I honestly don’t know, I’ve never understood his mind-set.

I was just wondering what other past examples you might have been thinking of.
Jesus? Slightly flippant maybe but very little is actually new.

One thing that WikiLeaks seems to have done is force such a discussion and debate over what the public has a right to know.
Only inadvertently by presenting themselves as the definitive answer to the question. I’m all for the debate but I don’t believe there is any definitive right answer and I certainly disagree that WikiLeaks has one.

All the media do now is regurgitate press releases from government and Corporate America. If the leaders of today's media had been in charge back in the 1960s and 70s, there'd have been no civil rights movement, no anti-war movement, and no one would ever have heard of Watergate.
I disagree that the media of today is as bad as you make out and that the media of the past was any better. I’m constantly talking down the modern “news” media industry but I don’t consider it all bad and I don’t consider WikiLeaks any better, just different.

Not necessarily. If military personnel and government employees sign an oath vowing that they will never release such data to unauthorized parties, then they're on the hook for it if/when they do. Those who receive such data never took such an oath and are not bound by it.
”Wrong” is not the same as “illegal”. I’ve already said that I don’t think the US authorities have a valid case against Assange but that doesn’t mean I don’t think some of the things he and WikiLeaks did were wrong.

Interesting article. But as I said, there are times when even the legitimate press may harm innocent people in the pursuit of truth. It does happen, and it's a larger question as to whether an individual's right to be protected outweighs the public's right to know on matters of public interest.
Yes, and that remains an open question (in practice a series of questions).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
All publicity is good publicity? His desire for attention outweighs his sense of self-preservation? He remains naive about how the press will run with his public statements? I honestly don’t know, I’ve never understood his mind-set.

I'm not entirely convinced that this is an accurate portrayal of his mindset. Some still see him as a kind of folk hero - someone who wants to bring the truth to the people for its own sake. You seem to believe that he's some kind of phony who's doing this all for the publicity and donations.

I'm not saying you're wrong here. You could be right, although there's no way to know for certain.

Jesus? Slightly flippant maybe but very little is actually new.

Of course, back in Jesus' time and place, my guess is that no one had any illusions about what kind of government they were living under. They were part of the Roman Empire, where public execution by crucifixion and other atrocities were done out in the open for all to see. They didn't even attempt to keep it a secret, so there was precious little to actually "investigate" and bring to the public's attention.

Unlike Western governments in contemporary times, they weren't fed mountains of BS about living in a "free" and "democratic" society. They saw what form of government they had and dealt with it on that basis. It may have been miserable and tyrannical, but at least it was honest.

That may be what is relatively "new" in all of this. It's the illusion of governments wanting to portray themselves as a bunch of choir boys, whereas in past eras, they obviously didn't care about presenting that kind of image.

It wasn't all that long ago that being an aggressive, militaristic, conquering power was considered a glorious thing - something to be proud of and extol (and we still have a lot of statues and public monuments to prove this). But now, it's something to be ashamed of, something that must be hidden and deemed "classified for reasons of national security."

The fact that all of this has to be hidden in the first place - and then uncovered or "leaked" - that's what I was addressing about the culture of government. I didn't actually claim that it was "new," although some aspects of it are rather unique in the modern era.

Only inadvertently by presenting themselves as the definitive answer to the question. I’m all for the debate but I don’t believe there is any definitive right answer and I certainly disagree that WikiLeaks has one.

I don't know that that's their purpose anyway. I don't think they've purported to having any answers. My view of journalism is that their job is to present the facts, and it's up to the readers to interpret those facts and come up with the answers (presumably on Election Day).

I disagree that the media of today is as bad as you make out and that the media of the past was any better. I’m constantly talking down the modern “news” media industry but I don’t consider it all bad and I don’t consider WikiLeaks any better, just different.

One difference between then and now is that news wasn't necessarily viewed as a profit-making enterprise. TV networks relied on their entertainment programming to make money, while their news divisions either lost money or not nearly as profitable. There seemed to be a greater sense of social responsibility, where people would do things just because it was the right thing to do.

I think our society and culture have become much more jaded since then, and it seems that everyone is out for the bucks. So much so that we assume that anyone - even if they're apparently doing good - is doing it for selfish and/or monetary reasons. There have been plenty of examples of dishonest journalists, phony televangelists, bogus charities, and so on.

So, maybe Assange is one of many phonies out there. That's certainly possible, although for the moment, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I think the overall work of exposing lies, corruption, and other malfeasance in government is extremely important.

”Wrong” is not the same as “illegal”. I’ve already said that I don’t think the US authorities have a valid case against Assange but that doesn’t mean I don’t think some of the things he and WikiLeaks did were wrong.

Well, yes, if there was an innocent person who was actually harmed by what WikiLeaks did, then such a person could be presented in court as evidence against Assange. If he really is guilty of rape, then he should be punished for his crime. I don't think he should get a pass, but there should at least be a trial with evidence to prove his guilt beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt.

My only point here is that I think there should be greater specificity in citing which things he did wrong. If it's wrong to air the government's dirty laundry, then I'd want to know why it's wrong. If we have a government of dishonest politicians, corrupt bureaucrats, and warmongering generals, then it may not be anything new, but they should be exposed nonetheless.

Yes, and that remains an open question (in practice a series of questions).

I sometimes think that society tends to avoid some of the tougher questions. I notice this a lot in public debates related to this subject matter.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Consider modern regulations and licensing combined with modern communication technology. Government can revoke operation licensing for TV. The only gaps in the law are around the internet.

Yes, although I'm not sure how it affects extradition law or the ability of governments to go after someone who says or writes something they don't like when they're on foreign soil.

A war isn't required. A war was a primary example which is hard to knockdown when the war is seen as justice. General leaks to the Press can be used as a reason especially if those leaks are of important operations, technology, military movement.

For the sake of legalities, maybe a war should be required. What sort of important operations and military movements would be necessary when there is no war?

Nope. The Press and witnesses were suppressed when US sailors shot Japanese sailors in the water. This information came out after the war. No charges were filled against anyone to my knowledge.

It may not have been reported or officially acknowledged by the government, but people did know about it.

Of course, reporting it could be seen as undermining the war effort.

During the Vietnam era, it was the complete opposite, with much footage of helpless villagers running from American bombs.

It is a balancing act typically made after the fact. An unfettered Press is a problem as it leaves far too many individual with questionable judgement deciding what to release without consequence. A restricted Press can lead to State media. Depends on the context of what is released as well. There is no clear cut answer in my view that can cover everything.

It would be much easier if the government would just be honest and tell the truth. If they believe in what they're doing, they shouldn't be ashamed of it. If they are ashamed of what they're doing to the point that they have to make it classified, then that should tell them something.

Of course, they might argue that they're not ashamed at all, but it's just that John Q. Public "can't handle the truth," since the world is such a horrible and complicated place that the average citizen should be sheltered and insulated from anything unpleasant they might have to think about.

Bit of column A, a bit of column B and the voters of course. Taking into consideration I do not accept the 4th estate's role as real. It is an ideal that I do not see as a general practice in reality. Sure there a few rare cases. However coverage for a lot of topics can be determined just by the source.

Ideally, they should just present the facts and let the readers decide.

I think media for most of it's existence has been party to a politics, and religion in part. I think the change is technology has enabled the masses to access a lot of information, and misinformation, which causes people to doubt claims from a lot of MSM sources. MSM has been caught distorting information for it's own purposes so MSM is not innocent.

Yes, I've noticed this is common.

Shad

Veteran Member
Yes, although I'm not sure how it affects extradition law or the ability of governments to go after someone who says or writes something they don't like when they're on foreign soil.

I was talking about media organizations which are businesses thus operate under laws and regulations.

For the individual? Again right back to Lincoln. Suspend habeas corpus. Alternatively bring back sedition laws.

For the sake of legalities, maybe a war should be required. What sort of important operations and military movements would be necessary when there is no war?

Information is an asset in general. If US sub deployments were leaked the whole strategy would need to be reworked as concealment and unknown location is why subs are still useful.

It may not have been reported or officially acknowledged by the government, but people did know about it.

It was suppressed by government was my point. It happened after Iron Bottom Sound thus was part of a current operation. For a completed operation take a look as the sinking of the Bismark. UK sailors just left them as revenge for the Hood. Which is ironic as the UK whined about Uboats abandoning survivors. Yet the UK had half a dozen surface vessels along with thousands of convey vessels to off-load to.

Of course, reporting it could be seen as undermining the war effort.

That is the rub in this type of issue.

During the Vietnam era, it was the complete opposite, with much footage of helpless villagers running from American bombs.

Depends on specifics here. US soldiers going outside the ROE or if those civilians were aiding the Vietcong. The latter falls under the concept of Total War which the US, and others, has used since Sherman developed it. It worked wonders in WW2. That was within the ROE.

It would be much easier if the government would just be honest and tell the truth.

If it did the government would be a weak one easily toppled. It would be a field day for spies.

If they believe in what they're doing, they shouldn't be ashamed of it. If they are ashamed of what they're doing to the point that they have to make it classified, then that should tell them something.

Classified typically comes due to the operation itself not the messy results.

Of course, they might argue that they're not ashamed at all, but it's just that John Q. Public "can't handle the truth,"

I agree with the idea. I do not think the masses without a strong leader have the stomach for any serious warfare or fighting against nation-states that do not play by the utopian rule book.

since the world is such a horrible and complicated place that the average citizen should be sheltered and insulated from anything unpleasant they might have to think about.

Yup. People freaked out over Trump being elected after all. I doubt a lot of people can handle classified information if they can not handle an election without a mental breakdown.

Ideally, they should just present the facts and let the readers decide.

Even when that happens not everyone interprets facts the same way. I do not mean political bias but just how we think differently thus can view the same data differently. As per my view above I could easily accept an action others people could reject. Such as Dresden and the concept of Total War. I accept the act and the reason for it. Do you?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was talking about media organizations which are businesses thus operate under laws and regulations.

For the individual? Again right back to Lincoln. Suspend habeas corpus. Alternatively bring back sedition laws.

Everyone has to operate under laws and regulations wherever they are, although they differ across national boundaries. We were talking about extraditing someone on foreign soil over alleged crimes against the US government.

Information is an asset in general. If US sub deployments were leaked the whole strategy would need to be reworked as concealment and unknown location is why subs are still useful.

Well, again I would ask, why have sub deployments during peacetime? And even if they were leaked, couldn't they redeploy? It would also seem that this sort of information would have a rather short shelf-life. Leaking sub deployments as they are today might be one thing, but information about sub deployments from six months ago would be useless to a foreign adversary and would not harm anyone from our side either.

It was suppressed by government was my point. It happened after Iron Bottom Sound thus was part of a current operation. For a completed operation take a look as the sinking of the Bismark. UK sailors just left them as revenge for the Hood. Which is ironic as the UK whined about Uboats abandoning survivors. Yet the UK had half a dozen surface vessels along with thousands of convey vessels to off-load to.

The general public might have perceived such news differently back then. The anger over Pearl Harbor and the Bataan Death March (among other things) was still pretty strong among the US public, so even if such news had not been suppressed, I doubt there would have been much of an outcry from the US public.

That is the rub in this type of issue.

Well, it was also a violation of international treaty and the agreed-upon rules of war.

Depends on specifics here. US soldiers going outside the ROE or if those civilians were aiding the Vietcong. The latter falls under the concept of Total War which the US, and others, has used since Sherman developed it. It worked wonders in WW2. That was within the ROE.

Even then, it still looks pretty bad when it's broadcast to every living room in America.

Another difference is that, in the case of Sherman, he was operating Total War on what he saw as enemy soil, so every civilian was seen as an enemy. In Vietnam, our forces were mostly operating on friendly soil, in South Vietnamese territory. If we were operating under the concept of Total War, then perhaps all of Vietnam might have been considered our enemy, rather than just half of it. At least, that would have been a more honest way of going about it.

That's one of the things which causes me to doubt our government and military leadership's sincerity when they talk about doing things for the sake of American interests or our national security. They concocted an elaborate and tangled web of lies which were more designed to prop up a puppet regime and make everything look "legitimate." They were obviously more concerned about public image and looking good than they were about national security.

Even those who supported US involvement in Vietnam were fed up with all the political BS.

If it did the government would be a weak one easily toppled. It would be a field day for spies.

Spies can't operate as effectively in the light as they can in the dark.

I don't think it would make the government weak.

The weakness or strength of a government depends mainly on popular support, and my guess is that the public would support a government which they perceive as honest and sincerely has the people's interests at heart.

That's why someone like President Truman can drop two atomic bombs on Japan and still be viewed as one of the best presidents America ever had. He did lose some popularity when he fired MacArthur, but MacArthur was rather brazenly open and honest in his opinions and proposals, which also gained him a large following.

Classified typically comes due to the operation itself not the messy results.

It would depend on the circumstances, although I would wonder why something would have to remain classified long after any such operation is completed.

Or, in cases where the enemy already knows classified information, the only reason for keeping it classified is to withhold information from the American public. That's the wrong reason for making something top secret.

I agree with the idea. I do not think the masses without a strong leader have the stomach for any serious warfare or fighting against nation-states that do not play by the utopian rule book.

That may be true today, although my sense is that this was not true in earlier eras in our history.

I think the real problem is that we painted ourselves into an ideological corner, largely because it was more important for our leaders to present some squeaky-clean, whitewashed image of America as some kind of Dudley Do-Right.

We've changed a great deal from the time when slogans like "54°40' or Fight" were popular. There were, of course, notable exceptions, but for the most part, the US public had no major problem with using military force to expand our frontiers and secure our territory.

Such perceptions changed when the focus shifted away from an America-centered policy towards a more globalist ideological policy of "making the world safe for democracy." That idea was difficult to sell to the American public, and it took mountains and mountains of feel good BS to be able to pull it off and gain the support of the people. The main trouble with doing something like that is that, in a generation or two, people will actually start to believe in it and expect their government to follow their own stated principles.

I don't think it's because they don't have the stomach for war. We're talking about a general public which hungers and thirsts for graphically violent movies where the more blood and guts, the better. But dishonesty, lies, and hypocrisy are harder to take.

This is where a lot of so-called "traitors" come from, such as Snowden. I remember he said that he originally believed in America as a paragon of virtue and a guardian of freedom in the world, but when he started his job at the NSA and found out the bitter truth of it all, that's when he turned. It was similar for Christopher Boyce whose story was told in the movie The Falcon and the Snowman.

It was a common theme during the anti-war movement and still reverberates in many circles today. People thought America was a paragon of virtue and believed that we only wanted to bring freedom and the good life to the rest of the world. That's what many of us were taught since birth. But once they were convinced that was not the case, they rebelled. It wasn't because they were a bunch of wimps and cowards, but because they felt lied to and betrayed by their own leaders.

Yup. People freaked out over Trump being elected after all. I doubt a lot of people can handle classified information if they can not handle an election without a mental breakdown.

That was quite a bit of overblown hysteria. What I've noticed is that politics in America has regressed to the level of sixth graders. There really hasn't been much in the way of any real philosophical debate or discussion over ideological differences - at least not at the mainstream level. That's because, through all the insults and other rhetoric, both sides are more alike, ideologically, than they are different. As a result, there's very little to actually "debate." Instead, it's just an endless parade of insults, name-calling, and idle accusations.

Even when that happens not everyone interprets facts the same way. I do not mean political bias but just how we think differently thus can view the same data differently. As per my view above I could easily accept an action others people could reject. Such as Dresden and the concept of Total War. I accept the act and the reason for it. Do you?

To support a declaration of war is not something I would do lightly. There would have to be some sort of compelling reason and a legitimate casus belli. However, once that threshold is passed and we make the decision to go to war, then we should be in it to win. Total War is justified on that basis.

Whether or not Dresden (or Hiroshima and Nagasaki for that matter) were truly necessary for victory, that may be a debatable point. Some might argue that those acts were not so much to defeat our Axis enemies (who were pretty much on their last legs at that point), but more as a demonstration of power directed at the Soviet Union, who was our ally, yet we were still wary and suspicious of them.

Shad

Veteran Member
Everyone has to operate under laws and regulations wherever they are, although they differ across national boundaries. We were talking about extraditing someone on foreign soil over alleged crimes against the US government.

No. I brought up the points not you. I never said my points were restricted to the context you want.

Well, again I would ask, why have sub deployments during peacetime?

As subs are first-strike (Boomers) units thus always deployed in certain numbers at all times. I am guessing you do not know much about the military.

And even if they were leaked, couldn't they redeploy?

Yes but that takes time and money. It put readiness at risk. Leaks such as deployments are costly to cover for. All due to nothing being news worthy.

It would also seem that this sort of information would have a rather short shelf-life. Leaking sub deployments as they are today might be one thing, but information about sub deployments from six months ago would be useless to a foreign adversary and would not harm anyone from our side either.

Shelf-life in war is not to be understatement. See Battle of Midway.

Harm is subjective as harm is not confined to the physical type.

The general public might have perceived such news differently back then. The anger over Pearl Harbor and the Bataan Death March (among other things) was still pretty strong among the US public, so even if such news had not been suppressed, I doubt there would have been much of an outcry from the US public.

See Vietnam.

Well, it was also a violation of international treaty and the agreed-upon rules of war.

Yes yet no one was charged as they were part of the side that won the war.

Rules of wars are a joke.

Even then, it still looks pretty bad when it's broadcast to every living room in America.

Which goes to my point about the masses ideas of war. Looking bad becomes is bad.

Another difference is that, in the case of Sherman, he was operating Total War on what he saw as enemy soil, so every civilian was seen as an enemy. In Vietnam, our forces were mostly operating on friendly soil, in South Vietnamese territory. If we were operating under the concept of Total War, then perhaps all of Vietnam might have been considered our enemy, rather than just half of it. At least, that would have been a more honest way of going about it.

South Vietnam was not secured territory nor was it's population backing the government en mass. Remember the Vietcong are SV citizens being helped by the NV.

That's one of the things which causes me to doubt our government and military leadership's sincerity when they talk about doing things for the sake of American interests or our national security.

I think they have far different ideas about US interests than the average person does.

They concocted an elaborate and tangled web of lies which were more designed to prop up a puppet regime and make everything look "legitimate." They were obviously more concerned about public image and looking good than they were about national security.

Soviets did the same.

No as various acts were done to create security for the US not security for the nations targeted. A ruined nation can be in the interests of another.

Even those who supported US involvement in Vietnam were fed up with all the political BS.

This is too vague.

Spies can't operate as effectively in the light as they can in the dark.

The point was the Press doing what it wants makes it easier for spies as media become a source instead of infiltration.

I don't think it would make the government weak.

I disagree as the masses wouldn't support necessary evils if they knew everything going on.

The weakness or strength of a government depends mainly on popular support, and my guess is that the public would support a government which they perceive as honest and sincerely has the people's interests at heart.

Nope. See Chamberlain vs Churchill in how support can still back a weak government not creating a strong government by the fact of having "support"

That's why someone like President Truman can drop two atomic bombs on Japan and still be viewed as one of the best presidents America ever had. He did lose some popularity when he fired MacArthur, but MacArthur was rather brazenly open and honest in his opinions and proposals, which also gained him a large following.

MacArthur was right in the end. The Reds were using the Wests rules against them yet Western leadership was gutless. Especially Europe's

It would depend on the circumstances, although I would wonder why something would have to remain classified long after any such operation is completed.

As not everything classified depends on mission completion. Methodology for example

Or, in cases where the enemy already knows classified information, the only reason for keeping it classified is to withhold information from the American public. That's the wrong reason for making something top secret.

No. It is called deniability for one. Second is confirming intelligence for another nation. Think about it.

That may be true today, although my sense is that this was not true in earlier eras in our history.

It was true when Total War was developed. People were outraged over what Sherman did as the concept of "Noble War" still existed and was practiced.. Yet Sherman's methods were proven not only correct for the time but was a foundation of modern warfare.

I think the real problem is that we painted ourselves into an ideological corner, largely because it was more important for our leaders to present some squeaky-clean, whitewashed image of America as some kind of Dudley Do-Right.

Sure. Although I blame the public for this more than the politicians. After all if the angle didn't work no one would use it. Few people consider themselves the bad guys even when they are committing genocide. They are told they are the bad guys by the victors

We've changed a great deal from the time when slogans like "54°40' or Fight" were popular. There were, of course, notable exceptions, but for the most part, the US public had no major problem with using military force to expand our frontiers and secure our territory.

It is about tactics used nor merely war.

Such perceptions changed when the focus shifted away from an America-centered policy towards a more globalist ideological policy of "making the world safe for democracy." That idea was difficult to sell to the American public, and it took mountains and mountains of feel good BS to be able to pull it off and gain the support of the people. The main trouble with doing something like that is that, in a generation or two, people will actually start to believe in it and expect their government to follow their own stated principles.

Toss in fearmongering of the Red Scare.

Yes as per the DHS and the War on Terrorism. It didn't take a generation. Just 9/11.

I don't think it's because they don't have the stomach for war. We're talking about a general public which hungers and thirsts for graphically violent movies where the more blood and guts, the better. But dishonesty, lies, and hypocrisy are harder to take.

Watching a fiction or a controlled sport is far different than war. We know those are fictions. We know there are rules. We know there is medical assistance at ring-side.

This is where a lot of so-called "traitors" come from, such as Snowden. I remember he said that he originally believed in America as a paragon of virtue and a guardian of freedom in the world, but when he started his job at the NSA and found out the bitter truth of it all, that's when he turned. It was similar for Christopher Boyce whose story was told in the movie The Falcon and the Snowman.

This is his personal issue and his bubble. This calls into question his judgement in my view.

It was a common theme during the anti-war movement and still reverberates in many circles today. People thought America was a paragon of virtue and believed that we only wanted to bring freedom and the good life to the rest of the world. That's what many of us were taught since birth. But once they were convinced that was not the case, they rebelled. It wasn't because they were a bunch of wimps and cowards, but because they felt lied to and betrayed by their own leaders.

Again this goes right to my point about the masses being unsuitable to be informed and part of specific topics and decisions. They are sheep.

That was quite a bit of overblown hysteria. What I've noticed is that politics in America has regressed to the level of sixth graders.

It waxes and wanes. Point being some of the masses can not even handle an election. How can anyone expect those people to handle a war.

There really hasn't been much in the way of any real philosophical debate or discussion over ideological differences - at least not at the mainstream level. That's because, through all the insults and other rhetoric, both sides are more alike, ideologically, than they are different. As a result, there's very little to actually "debate." Instead, it's just an endless parade of insults, name-calling, and idle accusations.

In the public political sphere? Sure. The two party system has divided and simplified issues to this point.

To support a declaration of war is not something I would do lightly.

The US has not issued a declaration of war since WW2 not for Korea, Nam, Iraq 1/2 nor Afghanistan. Congress passed the War Powers Acts which gave the power to POTUS to use the military is a war situation without calling it a war. It is a policing action or whatever they make up. A Dem Congress BTW although it is not as if the GOP objected to it. The public is not longer considered unless they revolt or the politicians see a risk to their seats. Again see Vietnam. Once the war ended most people didn't care anymore.

There would have to be some sort of compelling reason and a legitimate casus belli. However, once that threshold is passed and we make the decision to go to war, then we should be in it to win. Total War is justified on that basis.

Government no longer works like this nor has for decades.

Given the claimed support for Total War can I assume you support this if the IDF were to level Gaza right?

Whether or not Dresden (or Hiroshima and Nagasaki for that matter) were truly necessary for victory, that may be a debatable point. Some might argue that those acts were not so much to defeat our Axis enemies (who were pretty much on their last legs at that point), but more as a demonstration of power directed at the Soviet Union, who was our ally, yet we were still wary and suspicious of them.

Dresden was not a key to victory. If was just part of a widespread air campaign to cripple industry. Dresden factories made ball-bearings were used by civilian and military as a part. Loss of those factories had a greater impact than losing a munitions factory.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were nuked to force the Japanese to surrender under US terms before the Soviets invaded. The US did not want a West vs East divide as per Europe nor have the Soviets being a major party in the surrender. Japan lost the war in the Battle of Midway and Battle of the Philippine Sea. It's Carrier Force was crippled along with it's naval air force. There was nothing of significant to stop the USN nor USAAF. Japan's army was trapped in China.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No. I brought up the points not you. I never said my points were restricted to the context you want.

Fair enough, although I just didn't want to veer too far off from the point I was making.

As subs are first-strike (Boomers) units thus always deployed in certain numbers at all times. I am guessing you do not know much about the military.

I was just wondering why it's even necessary to have those units deployed at all. I don't claim to be a military expert, but I know enough that not all subs are Boomers.

Yes but that takes time and money. It put readiness at risk. Leaks such as deployments are costly to cover for. All due to nothing being news worthy.

I suppose, although if there's a security breach, they may have no other choice. I would imagine it would take a bit of time to get a message to a sub, but it seems a relatively simple matter to order them to change locations.

Shelf-life in war is not to be understatement. See Battle of Midway.

Harm is subjective as harm is not confined to the physical type.

But we're not in a war right now. Of course, we may be in a position where we still have to be ready, especially considering much of the saber-rattling and heated rhetoric going on these days. But it's a much different situation now than we faced in the Cold War.

See Vietnam.

Different enemy, different generation, different circumstances. Not to mention the fact that the Vietnamese never bombed Pearl Harbor or had anything to do with the Bataan Death March. Vietnam was never seen as any kind of mortal threat to American soil.

Yes yet no one was charged as they were part of the side that won the war.

Rules of wars are a joke.

It may have also been a case of "no jury would convict them."

Which goes to my point about the masses ideas of war. Looking bad becomes is bad.

Some people have still blamed the media for showing some of the more gruesome aspects. They felt that the media were deliberately trying to make the US look bad, and it fueled many of the protests and dissension at home.

South Vietnam was not secured territory nor was it's population backing the government en mass. Remember the Vietcong are SV citizens being helped by the NV.

Right, but technically it was still South Vietnamese territory. Comparing it to WW2, even under the concept of Total War, we would operate differently when liberating occupied territory in contrast to attacking Germany directly.

However, if the South Vietnamese government was so ineffective that they could not really govern or secure their own territory, then it fell upon the US to do it. But we still wanted to prop up that government just the same.

I think they have far different ideas about US interests than the average person does.

I'm sure they do, but some stated interests seem more ideologically-based, while others might try to see things on a more practical level. I would consider that to be separate from the issue of how our leaders actually conduct our military and foreign policies. It's the question of "why we fight" versus "how we fight."

If we're fighting for US interests, then are we talking about practical national interests – or are they more abstract, ideological, religious, and/or sentimental?

The Cold War has been over for close to 30 years now, yet our government can't seem to figure out what to do next.

Soviets did the same.

No as various acts were done to create security for the US not security for the nations targeted. A ruined nation can be in the interests of another.

I don't know that I'd consider Ho Chi Minh a complete puppet of the Soviet Union. The US considered him an ally during WW2, aiding the resistance against Japanese occupation.

At any rate, the place was pretty well ruined after WW2, yet the French still wanted to try to keep it in their empire. So, the Vietnamese fought the French, and then the Americans and other Allied powers – for decades. In the end, the country still fell into the Soviet Bloc, yet in terms of the grand scheme of things and our overall strategy, it didn't really amount to much of a loss.

The "domino theory" never really panned out like they said it would.

The point was the Press doing what it wants makes it easier for spies as media become a source instead of infiltration.

I've heard it said that a lot of Soviet spies during the Cold War spent most of their time in libraries. Even if the mainstream media doesn't publish something, one might still be able to piece together information from books and periodicals few people actually read.

I disagree as the masses wouldn't support necessary evils if they knew everything going on.

But it's not as if they haven't been told the awful truth in one form or another. At least in terms of what the government has done in the past.

Nevertheless, the people, by and large, would still support self-defense and the defense of American soil. When it comes to things like bugging Angela Merkel's phone, not so much.

Nope. See Chamberlain vs Churchill in how support can still back a weak government not creating a strong government by the fact of having "support"

When you said "toppled," I thought you meant through a popular uprising or a military coup – or even possibly through foreign subversion. With Chamberlain and Churchill, you're speaking of individual leaders, one weak and the other strong, but both working within the same governmental structure and culture.

I wouldn't underestimate the need for support, at least to some degree. All Kerensky needed to quash the Bolshevik uprising in Petrograd would have been one regiment. But they couldn't even trust their own army at that point.

MacArthur was right in the end. The Reds were using the Wests rules against them yet Western leadership was gutless. Especially Europe's

Patton had similar ideas, and I've encountered more than a few people who have sided with MacArthur on the matter. Who knows? Maybe an immediate decisive smash against the Soviet Bloc would have ended the Cold War before it even started, and before they gained atomic weapons technology.

I can sort of understand it myself. If Soviet expansionism was really such an immediate threat, then dealing with it in a direct and forthright manner seems the logical approach. We weren't really at war with North Korea or North Vietnam. We were at war with the Soviet Union, and yet not "officially." The Truman Doctrine of containment was supposed to keep the Soviet Bloc in check while avoiding outright war.

In the end, it apparently worked, at least in the sense that the Soviet Union was finally brought down. And even if we avoided nuclear war, the damage from the Cold War is what we're dealing with today.

No. It is called deniability for one. Second is confirming intelligence for another nation. Think about it.

Deniability to whom?

It was true when Total War was developed. People were outraged over what Sherman did as the concept of "Noble War" still existed and was practiced.. Yet Sherman's methods were proven not only correct for the time but was a foundation of modern warfare.

I think opinions varied on the matter. Sherman had a lot of supporters as well. There were somewhat mixed feelings and conflicted loyalties during the Civil War, and the Union didn't necessarily see the Confederates as "foreign" – or vice versa.

Sure. Although I blame the public for this more than the politicians. After all if the angle didn't work no one would use it. Few people consider themselves the bad guys even when they are committing genocide. They are told they are the bad guys by the victors

Or they are told by the alternative/underground press – or maybe by organizations like WikiLeaks.

I suppose the public is to blame for believing the politicians' lies, but the politicians are still to blame for their lies nevertheless.

It is about tactics used nor merely war.

Yes, although opinions still vary. If "war is politics by other means," then political support may vary depending on the pretexts and circumstances of war and/or tactics.

Watching a fiction or a controlled sport is far different than war. We know those are fictions. We know there are rules. We know there is medical assistance at ring-side.

Still, I'm not convinced that it's simply a matter of having a weak stomach. I'm sure that's true for some, but much of the opposition to recent wars has practical considerations as well.

This is his personal issue and his bubble. This calls into question his judgement in my view.

Well, yes, his judgment is most definitely called into question. But it's not all that personal, since there's millions upon millions of us living in the same bubble.

Again this goes right to my point about the masses being unsuitable to be informed and part of specific topics and decisions. They are sheep.

Then what's the point of having a democracy? Why bother giving all these "sheep" a choice at all?

It waxes and wanes. Point being some of the masses can not even handle an election. How can anyone expect those people to handle a war.

Americans have done it before, oftentimes quite successfully. Americans have traditionally been a fighting people, even if we've mellowed and softened these past several decades.

In the public political sphere? Sure. The two party system has divided and simplified issues to this point.

Another difference is that, in the past, political differences were often set aside in times of war. Even in times of peace, there was still plenty of room for negotiation and compromise whenever there were political disputes.

The US has not issued a declaration of war since WW2 not for Korea, Nam, Iraq 1/2 nor Afghanistan. Congress passed the War Powers Acts which gave the power to POTUS to use the military is a war situation without calling it a war. It is a policing action or whatever they make up. A Dem Congress BTW although it is not as if the GOP objected to it. The public is not longer considered unless they revolt or the politicians see a risk to their seats. Again see Vietnam. Once the war ended most people didn't care anymore.

But as we've seen since then, the public is still involved to a large degree. That's why there's still all this hullaballoo over leaked state secrets. If the public finds out about it, they'll pressure their representatives, which could lead to policy shifts. The public is certainly told about military actions, such as the ones you listed above, but again, support or lack thereof are still key factors.

Government no longer works like this nor has for decades.

Yes, and I mentioned the reasons why earlier.

Given the claimed support for Total War can I assume you support this if the IDF were to level Gaza right?

It doesn’t involve America, so I take no position on that issue. Although it might trigger a response from other nations, which might necessitate American involvement. Sherman advocated Total War, but he didn't wipe everyone out.