• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the POPE said WHAT???!!!!

athanasius

feel free to read the document yourself by using thelinks to my post of it.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53951

ANd Yes we believe that Other chrisitans can be saved. we just do not believe that protestant Christian bodies or ecclecial commuties are "Churches" in the fullest sense because they lack apostolic succession and the ministeriel Priesthood and Bishopric and the true Eucharist.. This is a ancient apostolic teaching coming fromthe apostles and dating back to Bishop Ignatius of antioch(ad 110) who was a disciple of St. John himself. We believe that the Catholic church has the fullness of truth and salvation. This has always been Catholic teaching. this doesn't mean that God won't save others. It just means we have the fullness of what Christ established and gives for us for salvation. Our Catechsim explains this much better. Piuck up a copy if you have questions. God bless you my brother.

rocka21

Brother Rock

ANd Yes we believe that Other chrisitans can be saved. we just do not believe that protestant Christian bodies or ecclecial commuties are "Churches" in the fullest sense because they lack apostolic succession and the ministeriel Priesthood and Bishopric and the true Eucharist.. This is a ancient apostolic teaching coming fromthe apostles and dating back to Bishop Ignatius of antioch(ad 110) who was a disciple of St. John himself. We believe that the Catholic church has the fullness of truth and salvation. This has always been Catholic teaching. this doesn't mean that God won't save others. It just means we have the fullness of what Christ established and gives for us for salvation. Our Catechsim explains this much better. Piuck up a copy if you have questions. God bless you my brother.

forgive me for not reading the ENTIRE document yet.

So does the newspaper have it wrong when they Quote we don't have the " means to salvation"?

that sounds to me like i can't be "saved" unless i am in the catholic church.

athanasius

forgive me for not reading the ENTIRE document yet.

So does the newspaper have it wrong when they Quote we don't have the " means to salvation"?

that sounds to me like i can't be "saved" unless i am in the catholic church.

Yes the secular news always get it wrong. Read our catehcism, we do consider non-Catholics Christians and there salvation is not questioned. As a matter of fact the Document itslef adresses the good and sanctification found in non Catholic churches. It just states the 2000 year old teaching that a Church cannot be a Called a church in the formal sense without Eucharist, priesthood and bishopric/Apostolic successsion. this goes back to ancient catholic teaching from St Ignatius who was a disiple of St. John the apostle himself.

rocka21

Brother Rock
Yes the secular news always get it wrong. Read our catehcism, we do consider non-Catholics Christians and there salvation is not questioned. As a matter of fact the Document itslef adresses the good and sanctification found in non Catholic churches. It just states the 2000 year old teaching that a Church cannot be a Called a church in the formal sense without Eucharist, priesthood and bishopric/Apostolic successsion. this goes back to ancient catholic teaching from St Ignatius who was a disiple of St. John the apostle himself.

Cool! thats the main Part!:D As long as i am saved.

all the other stuff we can debate. Some paper calling my church not a " ture church" , i can live with.:)

God bless you, my brother in Christ.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Cool! thats the main Part!:D As long as i am saved.

all the other stuff we can debate. Some paper calling my church not a " ture church" , i can live with.:)

God bless you, my brother in Christ.
Rocka, I'm confused. You can live with "some paper" saying that your church is not the "true church," but you can't live with "some paper" saying you're not saved? What's the difference? When you stand before God to be judged, do you think He's going to check His copy of "some paper" before deciding what to do with you? According to "some paper," I'm in far worse shape than you are and I'm not the slightest bit concerned. No human being on the face of this earth has the power or authority to tell me whether I'm going to be saved or not. And as to the fact that some people don't even believe I'm a Christian, well... that's their problem, not mine.

Ronald

Keep faith in the God of Abraham, Issac and Yacov and believe he sent salvation/yeshua into the world to redeem it from sin and you're saved! No matter what any Pope says.
But if you desire to enter the New Jerusalem, keep his commandments!

Shalom

rocka21

Brother Rock
Rocka, I'm confused. You can live with "some paper" saying that your church is not the "true church," but you can't live with "some paper" saying you're not saved? What's the difference? When you stand before God to be judged, do you think He's going to check His copy of "some paper" before deciding what to do with you? According to "some paper," I'm in far worse shape than you are and I'm not the slightest bit concerned. No human being on the face of this earth has the power or authority to tell me whether I'm going to be saved or not. And as to the fact that some people don't even believe I'm a Christian, well... that's their problem, not mine.

if i am not mistaken, don't Later Day Saint believe that there chruch is the " true chruch"?

we have all these different chruches because we cannot agree on doctrine.

but i think we do agree on FOUNDATION. which makes us the " body of Christ".

Jesus born of a virgin
Jesus lived a sinless life
Jesus died on the cross to redeem mankind.
Jesus is God in flesh.
Jesus resurrected the 3rd day.
Jesus accend to Heaven.
Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to Believers.
Jesus is coming back for his Church. ( Body)
Jesus is the Door ( way) to the Father.

this is what makes us Saved.

i am afraid we will have the " true church" argument until Jesus comes back!:drool:

i also think the " some paper" make the catholics feel better. So be it.

Reactions: FFH

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Apostolic succession has always puzzled me.

When the Romans set up the Church of Rome in Canterbury... they found that there were already Celtic Christian bishops, and monasteries.( before ad 200)
It was many years later that the two churches joined.
It is not known where these original Bishops came from, But it is suspected it was from Egypt. Would the Celtic bishops have had Apostolic succession or only the ones that came from Rome.?
Until they Joined together the Celts did nor recognise the Pope.

FFH

Veteran Member
if i am not mistaken, don't Later Day Saint believe that there chruch is the " true chruch"?

we have all these different chruches because we cannot agree on doctrine.

but i think we do agree on FOUNDATION. which makes us the " body of Christ".

Jesus born of a virgin
Jesus lived a sinless life
Jesus died on the cross to redeem mankind.
Jesus is God in flesh.
Jesus resurrected the 3rd day.
Jesus accend to Heaven.
Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to Believers.
Jesus is coming back for his Church. ( Body)
Jesus is the Door ( way) to the Father.

this is what makes us Saved.

i am afraid we will have the " true church" argument until Jesus comes back!:drool:

i also think the " some paper" make the catholics feel better. So be it.
Excellent post, WE are the body of Christ and WE are saved...

nutshell

So a person can be saved without the Church? How does that work?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
So a person can be saved without the Church? How does that work?
It's complicated... :D

Seriously, it's something we believe but no catholic would be able to tell you how (other then it's by grace) and who exactly will be saved. We just know that whoever is saved is saved by the grace of God and it is through the Church that this happens. That may not necessarily mean that they call themselves Catholics or even Christians but that they will get saved through the Church whether they know it or not.

(Which is precisely why we as Catholics can say "there is no salvation outside the Church") <---People just misunderstand this.

Since the Church is the Body of Christ (and we mean it in a more organic way then do some Protestants) it is only through Him that we are saved.

I think you'll find that many Protestants agree with us on this.