• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pope gives Atheists some credit

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
Pope Francis said in his first General Audience of 2019 that it is better to be an atheist than a churchgoing Christian who hates other people. In 2017, he suggested it was better for one to be an atheist than a Catholic who leads a hypocritical double life.

Wow, a Pope who is calling out those who claim to be Christian.

Pope Francis said in his first General Audience of 2019 that it is better to be an atheist than a churchgoing Christian who hates other people. In 2017, he suggested it was better for one to be an atheist than a Catholic who leads a hypocritical double life.

So in otherwords the pope is saying its better to be stupid then to be a hypocrite. ;)

I think its better to be smart, PLUS not a hypocrite. Both together is better.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
That pedophile can keep his praise. He can give it out to those who deserve it, i.e more pedophiles. It's how the church works nowadays.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

that was a bold move

but scripture supports it....
There are many who would say to Me......Lord!...Lord!
and I know them not
Get thee back ye workers of inequity

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It still sounds like faint praise.

Reminds me of the old joke....
Bob: I saw Sam molest a dead dog.
Pat: Sam didn't do that. I saw the dog move.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I live a hypocritical double life... So the pope wants me to take up atheism, and teach my young children atheism?

He might as well end the sacrament of reconciliation.

Cooky

Veteran Member
At least atheism is very easy to teach.

As convenient as that may be, I think I'll pass. I don't believe the pope actually said that... I think people purposely misrepresent what he says all the time by taking snippets out of context.

(I think his statement was to clergy only)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Talk is talk. Better than nothing, perhaps. Real change means action. He could start by excommunicating convicted priests and enablers of abuse. He could fund indigenous schools with no Catholic curriculum.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Pope Francis and Donald Trump both talk very much. So, so many words.

Personally, I speak very little in real life, but my words are more accurate.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Talk is talk. Better than nothing, perhaps. Real change means action. He could start by excommunicating convicted priests and enablers of abuse. He could fund indigenous schools with no Catholic curriculum.

Bishop Olmstead excommunicated a priest from my old diocese. Olmstead is a very wise man. I felt the Holy Spirit in him when I met him.

Last edited by a moderator: