• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The politics of Jesus

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well, there's also a lot of evidence of Jesus chastising the Jewish proesthood... So I would say, Jesus had no problem speaking his mind from his own authority, exclusive from politics.
There is no evidence of that. It's just what people have told you to believe.
People beholden to the Romans.
Tom

sooda

Veteran Member
Well, there's also a lot of evidence of Jesus chastising the Jewish proesthood... So I would say, Jesus had no problem speaking his mind from his own authority, exclusive from politics.

Some prophet or another chastises the Jewish people all the way thru the OT. Can you name a single prophet who didn't?

sooda

Veteran Member
There is no evidence of that. It's just what people have told you to believe.
People beholden to the Romans.
Tom

Roman Rule (63BCE-313CE)

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/roman-rule-63bce-313ce
A last attempt to restore the former glory of the Hasmonean dynasty was made by Mattathias Antigonus, whose defeat and death brought Hasmonean rule to an end (40 BCE), and the Land became a province of the Roman Empire. In 37 BCE, Herod, a son-in-law of …

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If we were to rely entirely on historical knowledge and analysis I agree. My position is largely Faith based that sees the Gospels under Divine Protection.
OK.
You believe things that are implausible and unevidenced.
You are religious.
There's nothing surprising, to me, about any of that.
Tom

Cooky

Veteran Member
Some prophet or another chastises the Jewish people all the way thru the OT. Can you name a single prophet who didn't?

I said priesthood, not "people". IOW, Jesus would have chastised both the Roman and Jewish leaders, indicating he spoke from his own authority... He was non-political.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Tell me again.
Did Jesus write that? Or did someone say that Jesus meant that?

It's not at all the same.
Tom

I see what you're clinging to now... That the bible is total fiction.

...Under that premise, there really isn't much left to discuss. :) I mean that sincerely -that there's nothing we can agree or disagree on.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
OK.
You believe things that are implausible and unevidenced.
You are religious.
There's nothing surprising, to me, about any of that.
Tom
Not really. History is clear the Jews were on a hiding to nothing rebelling against the Romans. A man of wisdom and foresight would have anticipated the consequences of an active rebellion and counselled turn the other cheek. Sounds plausible to me.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I see what you're clinging to now... That the bible is total fiction.

...Under that premise, there really isn't much left to discuss. :) I mean that sincerely -that there's nothing we can agree or disagree on.
That is simply not true. I don't believe that the Bible is total fiction.

But I do understand why you want to stop the discussion.

Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Jesus did NOT chastise the Roman leaders.
How can you possibly assert that?
The Romans executed Him for treason. They didn't just do that for fun.

I can understand why His followers didn't write it down. If they did, they'd be likely to get crucified as well. But you cannot credibly claim Jesus didn't do something, just because decades later nobody had a written claim about it. Of course they didn't write that sort of thing down.
Tom

sooda

Veteran Member
How can you possibly assert that?
The Romans executed Him for treason. They didn't just do that for fun.

I can understand why His followers didn't write it down. If they did, they'd be likely to get crucified as well. But you cannot credibly claim Jesus didn't do something, just because decades later nobody had a written claim about it. Of course they didn't write that sort of thing down.
Tom

The Romans executed Jesus for charges brought against him by the Sanhedren.

We don't have a lot to go on. but the Sermon on the Mount is NOT an attack on the Romans.. Its an encouragement on how the Jews can deal with Roman oppression and Roman laws.

Jesus says over and again that his kingdom or the kingdom of God is spiritual.. and then he proposes a revolutionary way to cope passively by shaming the enemy ..

BTW, that Sermon provided inspiration for Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

sooda

Veteran Member
Not really. History is clear the Jews were on a hiding to nothing rebelling against the Romans. A man of wisdom and foresight would have anticipated the consequences of an active rebellion and counselled turn the other cheek. Sounds plausible to me.

The Jews were very fractured in the first century.. They were so fed up that they fought each other and the Romans. Look at the five Jewish factions... (loosely) Pharisees, Saducees, Herodians, Essenes, Zealots and Sicarri.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The Romans executed Jesus for charges brought against him by the Sanhedren.
Give me a reason to believe that you know this is true.

I don't believe it is true. I think it's what people, decades and centuries later, claimed because the truth about Jesus didn't work for them.
Tom

sooda

Veteran Member
Give me a reason to believe that you know this is true.

I don't believe it is true. I think it's what people, decades and centuries later, claimed because the truth about Jesus didn't work for them.
Tom

We have very little to go on..

What do you think the truth about Jesus was? You think he was a zealot? There's just no evidence for that in scripture.

The Romans weren't concerned about the Jews and their religion. They just wanted them to behave and pay their taxes.

Further, there is no historical evidence for widespread rebellion or attacks on the Roman occupiers during the lifetime of Jesus.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The Jews were very fractured in the first century.. They were so fed up that they fought each other and the Romans. Look at the five Jewish factions... (loosely) Pharisees, Saducees, Herodians, Essenes, Zealots and Sicarri.
Now make a comprehensive list of all the Christian denominations and see if you can include them all in one post.