• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The political climate....

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Here's what I honestly see out of the political climate on RF at times. If you ask me what should be done about it, I'd say a discussion and nothing more at this time.

But anyway, here's how I see things...

A democrat member or two will talk against Trump with activism and hope of change, in their spirits.

Republican members will read it, say they can do the same, then use subjects like pro-gun issues and seem to try to mimic what the democrats are saying to pay them back. As they mimic, many issues will be brought up like anti-trans, etc stuff and just to pay us back, without realizing that some of these subjects can trigger people.

So what I'm saying is, it's very much like when they had straight pride festivals to counteract gay pride festivals.

As for what the democrats may be doing wrong, I think we need to remember that the Republicans don't really like their Republican leaders being attacked and it's not really the way to reach bipartisan agreement. And I do actually believe bipartisan agreement is possible in limited capacities, just not in the way we're doing.

But in any case, I could be wrong about things.... but I will say... now is a crazy time and it's not limited to RF, lol. So stay safe and stay well.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's what I honestly see out of the political climate on RF at times. If you ask me what should be done about it, I'd say a discussion and nothing more at this time.

But anyway, here's how I see things...

A democrat member or two will talk against Trump with activism and hope of change, in their spirits.

Republican members will read it, say they can do the same, then use subjects like pro-gun issues and seem to try to mimic what the democrats are saying to pay them back. As they mimic, many issues will be brought up like anti-trans, etc stuff and just to pay us back, without realizing that some of these subjects can trigger people.

So what I'm saying is, it's very much like when they had straight pride festivals to counteract gay pride festivals.

As for what the democrats may be doing wrong, I think we need to remember that the Republicans don't really like their Republican leaders being attacked and it's not really the way to reach bipartisan agreement. And I do actually believe bipartisan agreement is possible in limited capacities, just not in the way we're doing.

But in any case, I could be wrong about things.... but I will say... now is a crazy time and it's not limited to RF, lol. So stay safe and stay well.

What I've noticed is that a lot of people seem to want to avoid discussing political principles at face value. There are those who want to psychoanalyze and scrutinize people and claim they don't really believe what they say they believe (implying that their actual beliefs are much worse).

Nobody really wants to argue ideas anymore. It's turned into gutter politics, focusing more on gossip, innuendo, and personality conflicts. There's also a great deal of sanctimony and moralism, focusing on feelings and emotions rather than practical politics.

If more people would just check their egos, emotions, and sanctimony at the door, political discussions would probably be much more productive.

I think some people would rather let the country go up in flames than give up on the idea that they're morally and intellectually superior to others. Some people involve themselves in political discussions just for the sake of ego gratification, not because they actually care about the issues under discussion (nor do they care about the people with whom they're arguing/debating).

There's also a certain "NIMBY" attitude that seems to underlie political discussions. It's easy for people to talk about freedom, justice, national security, patriotism, etc., as long as they're relatively comfortable and personally untouched by whatever issues are being discussed. It's like when people talk about global warming and how bad it is, but unwilling to give up their gadgets, their luxuries, their SUVs, and other aspects of a comfortable, consumerist lifestyle.

I can understand how it happens, but it's also the same reason that most political discussions tend to degenerate into name-calling, invective, and vitriol.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If more people would just check their egos, emotions, and sanctimony at the door, political discussions would probably be much more productive.
Productive discussion is predicated upon shared facts and, at least on some level, shared values.