• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The plight of atheism, is this why the incessant arguing?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Atheism, is, a minority group. Religion(?) Probably not a religion, however since it involves religion, we can include it in that context.
People find religion, and atheism is left with a few spokespeople, and small but loud group on the net, etc.
Is the plight, the fact that atheism as a preaching or preached religious perspective, simply cannot compete with the theistic religions?

Is this causing the often over emphasis, of argumentation?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Atheism, is, a minority group. Religion(?) Probably not a religion, however since it involves religion, we can include it in that context.
People find religion, and atheism is left with a few spokespeople, and small but loud group on the net, etc.
Is the plight, the fact that atheism as a preaching or preached religious perspective, simply cannot compete with the theistic religions?

I am not sure if I understand the question.

Curious George

Veteran Member
What don't you understand, which part?

Mainly this. Are you asking if it is problematic that atheism cannot compete with theistic religions?

Any deciphering I manage just leads to more questions...what does it mean to compete with theistic rwligions? Why is an inability or ability to do so problematic or not? What do you mean by atheism as a preaching or preached religion? Etc.

I guess I was assuming the error was on my end, and hoped you could rephrase.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Mainly this. Are you asking if it is problematic that atheism cannot compete with theistic religions?

Any deciphering I manage just leads to more questions...what does it mean to compete with theistic rwligions? Why is an inability or ability to do so problematic or not? What do you mean by atheism as a preaching or preached religion? Etc.

I guess I was assuming the error was on my end, and hoped you could rephrase.
What are the results, of the plight.

The results could be the over emphasis of atheism, anti-bible, etc.

This could be easily inferred, if you know atheists, and they are very opinionated about it.

Curious George

Veteran Member

This could be easily inferred, if you know atheists, and they are very opinionated about it.
Well I am an atheist. I would say that I dont understand what you mean by over emphasis of atheism. However, I would say that I think that there are a great many people who are anti-theists because they were hurt or offended by a particular religion. I think anti-bible can have its roots in various grounds though. It is hard to say what peoples motives are exactly. I don't think of myself as an anti-theist or even anti-bible.

Where does that leave me?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Is it, to you? This isn't some esoteric question, the preaching from atheism is well noted, etc.
What do you mean by compete? Compete for followers? I don't really think of it as a competition. Really, it feels like some particular atheists have upset you.

If we define competition by gaining followers and we agree that theistic religions gain more followers than atheism (a fact I would assume but of which I am unsure), then I would not see this as a plight.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I don't care for competition. I don't even care if everyone else around me is religious. All I want is to live in a secular society so we aren't competing to push people one way or another. We should just be treated equally with full freedom to believe what we want. Unfortunately there are people trying to push us away from a secular society, so I fully support those who do want to argue on the side of atheism.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I don't care for competition. I don't even care if everyone else around me is religious. All I want is to live in a secular society so we aren't competing to push people one way or another. We should just be treated equally with full freedom to believe what we want. Unfortunately there are people trying to push us away from a secular society, so I fully support those who do want to argue on the side of atheism.
That might make sense. If a non secular society is dangerous for atheists, then the plight of the athiests would be a non secular society. If we accept an inability to spread then this could lead to an outspoken group trying to preserve the rights of a aecular society. I would think a non secular society to be a plight to many more than just atheists though.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion (or indeed lack thereof) is not a popularity contest. What a shallow approach to religion as a whole.
Though theocracies might pose a threat to atheists and even theists who don't conform to said theocracy.

Altfish

Veteran Member

You obviously don't live in Europe.

HonestJoe

That’s a fair conclusion but at the same time is part of the problem. Fundamentally, atheism is the opposite or theism, not the opposite of religion. Some atheists effective follow a pseudo-religion that is primarily based on their lack of belief, which is what leads to the conflict and anti-theism you refer to, but that encompasses a small minority of atheists (certainly a small minority of non-believers in general). It doesn’t define atheism any more than Eastern Orthodox Christianity (as a random example) defines theism.

That presumes atheism wants or needs to compete with religions. Again, some atheists may well do so but conflict is also caused when religious followers assume that any and all atheists are in direct conflict with them, when honest questions or a desire not to be required to follow specific religious rules are perceived (and presented) as attacks.

I’m not your enemy, I’ve just a fellow traveller who happens to be on a different path.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

You mean the plight of theism. Trying make a case for something that isn't there.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I know atheists. I know believers. I know people who never think about it.

I don't agree with Dawkins &c that religion is innately pernicious. I dine with too many decent intelligent people who are believers to think that's true. I admire Jorge Bergoglio. A pope with his humanity, intelligence and ability is lo-o-o-ong overdue, though he inherits a dirty gig.

On the other hand I think any fundamentalism, in any religion, is a fear-based closing of the mind, and should never be taught to children.

I think the concept of a real god, a god with objective existence, is incoherent. I've never heard a credible exposition of what such a being could be, such that if we found one we could tell it was a god. Imaginary gods, not a problem ─ they can be, and are, anything you want them to be and something else tomorrow.

Are you a decent, inclusive human being? Then (within reason) who cares what you believe?

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Are you sure you understand the basics of atheism?

Frankly, it feels like you have only a vague notion of what it would be. As if you heard of it once ten years ago.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Do you realise that 50+% in the UK are now defined as no religion. (Last census (2011) showed 25% in answer to a loaded question; the figure I quote is a YouGov Poll). In the Scandinavian countries there are even higher proportions of non-believers and they continue to rise.
So to say "...atheism is left with a few spokespeople.." is factually false.
Atheism is competing with religion because it makes sense, if you look at figures for the under 25's it is religion who should be afraid...it should be very afraid.