• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The place of Women in Quran.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
A fair way to approach a holy book is to say, what does it say regarding women. Is it just or unjust? Fair or unfair to them? ...
I don't believe your dawah is correct.

Men can beat their rebellious wives/concubines until they obey, and even turn green with bruises:

Surah 4:34 (Pickthall translation) -

“... Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High, Exalted, Great. ...”​

Surah 4:34 (Shakir translation) -

“... 34. Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and [as to] those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great. ...”​

Even Yusuf-Ali's notation on Surah 4:34 states:

"... 547 In case of family jars four steps are mentioned, to be taken in that order: (1) perhaps verbal advice or admonition may be sufficient; (2) if not, sex relations may be suspended; (3) if this is not sufficient, some slight physical correction may be administered; but Imam Shafi'i considers this inadvisable, though permissible, and all authorities are unanimous in deprecating any sort of cruelty, even of the nagging kind, as mentioned in the next clause; (4)-if all this fails, a family council is recommended in 4:35 below. ..."​

The Tafsir of Al-Jalalain states:

"... [4:34]
Men are in charge of, they have authority over, women, disciplining them and keeping them in check,
because of that with which God has preferred the one over the other, that is, because God has given them the advantage over women, in knowledge, reason, authority and otherwise, and because of what they expend, on them [the women], of their property. Therefore righteous women, among them, are obedient, to their husbands, guarding in the unseen, that is, [guarding] their private parts and otherwise during their spouses’ absence, because of what God has guarded, for them, when He enjoined their male spouses to look after them well. And those you fear may be rebellious, disobedient to you, when such signs appear, admonish them, make them fear God, and share not beds with them, retire to other beds if they manifest such disobedience, and strike them, but not violently, if they refuse to desist [from their rebellion] after leaving them [in separate beds]. If they then obey you, in what is desired from them, do not seek a way against them, a reason to strike them unjustly. God is ever High, Great, so beware of Him, lest He punish you for treating them unjustly. ..."​

The Tafsir of Ibn Kathir (Abridges 10 Volume) states on surah 4:34:

"... (beat them) means, if advice and ignoring her in the bed do not produce the desired results,
you are allowed to discipline the wife, without severe beating. Muslim recorded that Jabir said
that during the Farewell Haj j , the Prophet said;

(Fear Allah regarding women, for they are your assistants. You have the right on them that
they do not allow any person whom you dislike to step on your mat . However, if they do that ,
you are allowed to discipline them lightly. They have a right on you that you provide them with
their provision and clothes, in a reasonable manner. ) Ibn ` Abbas and several others said that
the Ayah refers to a beating that is not violent . Al-Hasan Al-Basri said that it means, a beating
that is not severe.

but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance), ) meaning, when
the wife obeys her husband in all that Allah has allowed, then no means of annoyance from the
husband are allowed against his wife. Therefore, in this case, the husband does not have the
right to beat her
or shun her bed. ..."​

The Reliance of the Traveller (Sharia (Islamic Law) Code book) states:

"... p42.0 A WIFE'S REBELLING
AGAINST HER HUSBAND (def: mlO.12) p42.1

Allah Most High says:

"Men are the guardians of women, since Allah has been more generous to one than the other, and because of what they [men] spend from their wealth. So righteous women will be obedient, and in absence watchful, for Allah is watchful. And if you fear their intractability, warn them, send them from bed, or hit them. But if they obey you, seek no way to blame them" (Koran 4:34)...." - [PDF 699-700]

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
A fair way to approach a holy book is to say, what does it say regarding women. Is it just or unjust? Fair or unfair to them? ...
I don't believe your dawah is correct.

Sahih Muslim, Book 004, Chapter 203, Number 2127 -

“... Muhammad b. Qais said (to the people): Should I not narrate to you (a hadith of the Holy Prophet) on my authority and on the authority of my mother? We thought that he meant the mother who had given him birth. He (Muhammad b. Qais) then reported that it was 'A'isha who had narrated this: Should I not narrate to you about myself and about the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him)? We said: Yes. She said: When it was my turn for Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to spend the night with me, he turned his side, put on his mantle and took off his shoes and placed them near his feet, and spread the corner of his shawl on his bed and then lay down till he thought that I had gone to sleep. He took hold of his mantle slowly and put on the shoes slowly, and opened the door and went out and then closed it lightly. I covered my head, put on my veil and tightened my waist wrapper, and then went out following his steps till he reached Baqi'. He stood there and he stood for a long time. He then lifted his hands three times, and then returned and I also returned. He hastened his steps and I also hastened my steps. He ran and I too ran. He came (to the house) and I also came (to the house). I, however, preceded him and I entered (the house), and as I lay down in the bed, he (the Holy Prophet) entered the (house), and said: Why is it, O 'A'isha, that you are out of breath? I said: There is nothing. He said: Tell me or the Subtle and the Aware would inform me. I said: Messenger of Allah, may my father and mother be ransom for you, and then I told him (the whole story). He said: Was it the darkness (of your shadow) that I saw in front of me? I said: Yes. He struck me on the chest which caused me pain, and then said: Did you think that Allah and His Apostle would deal unjustly with you? She said: Whatsoever the people conceal, Allah will know it. He said: Gabriel came to me when you saw me. He called me and he concealed it from you. I responded to his call, but I too concealed it from you (for he did not come to you), as you were not fully dressed. I thought that you had gone to sleep, and I did not like to awaken you, fearing that you may be frightened. He (Gabriel) said: Your Lord has commanded you to go to the inhabitants of Baqi' (to those lying in the graves) and beg pardon for them. I said: Messenger of Allah, how should I pray for them (How should I beg forgiveness for them)? He said: Say, Peace be upon the inhabitants of this city (graveyard) from among the Believers and the Muslims, and may Allah have mercy on those who have gone ahead of us, and those who come later on, and we shall, God willing, join you. ...”​

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 82, Number 828 -

“... Narrated Aisha: Abu Bakr came towards me and struck me violently with his fist and said, “You have detained the people because of your necklace.” But I remained motionless as if I was dead lest I should awake Allah's Apostle although that hit was very painful. ...”​

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 715 -

“... Narrated 'Ikrima: Rifa'a divorced his wife whereupon 'AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her. 'Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil (and complained to her (Aisha) of her husband and showed her a green spot on her skin caused by beating). It was the habit of ladies to support each other, so when Allah's Apostle came, 'Aisha said, "I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women. Look! Her skin is greener than her clothes!" When 'AbdurRahman heard that his wife had gone to the Prophet, he came with his two sons from another wife. She said, “By Allah! I have done no wrong to him but he is impotent and is as useless to me as this,” holding and showing the fringe of her garment, 'Abdur-Rahman said, “By Allah, O Allah's Apostle! She has told a lie! I am very strong and can satisfy her but she is disobedient and wants to go back to Rifa'a.” Allah's Apostle said, to her, “If that is your intention, then know that it is unlawful for you to remarry Rifa'a unless Abdur-Rahman has had sexual intercourse with you.” Then the Prophet saw two boys with 'Abdur-Rahman and asked (him), “Are these your sons?” On that 'Abdur-Rahman said, “Yes.” The Prophet said, “You claim what you claim (i.e.. that he is impotent)? But by Allah, these boys resemble him as a crow resembles a crow,” ...”

*Aishah was taken to be Muhammad's wife at circa 6 years old [actually moonwise 5 ½ years old] and the marriage was 'consummated' when she was circa 9 years old [actually moonwise 8 ½ years old], according to her own testimony in the Hadith, etc. She was Muhammad's favorite 'wife'.​

Sahih Muslim, Book 009, Chapter 6, Number 3526 -

“... So far as Abu Jahm is concerned, he is a great beater of women, ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 009, Chapter 6, Number 3527 -

“... Abu'l-Jahm is very harsh with women (or he beats women, or like that), ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 040, Chapter 13, Number 6837 -

“... 'Abdullah b. Zam'a reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) delivered an address and he made a mention of the dromedary and also made a mention of one (base person) who cut off Its hind legs, and he recited:" When the basest of them broke forth with mischief" (xei. 12). When a mischievous person, strong even because of the strength of a family like Abu Zam'a, broke forth. He then delivered instruction in regard to the women saying: There is amongst you who beats his woman, and in the narration on the authority of Abu Bakr, the words are: He flogs her like a slave-girl. And in the narration of Abu Kuraib (the words are): He flogs like a slave and then comforts his bed with the help of that at the end of the day, and he then advised in regard to laughing of people at the breaking of wind and said: One of you laughs at that which you yourself do. ...”​

Jami at-Tirmidhi, Volume 2, Book 10, Chapter 11, Number 1163 -

“... 1163. Sulaiman bin 'Amr bin Al-Ahwas said: "My father narrated to me that he witnessed the farewell Hajj with the Messenger of Allah: So he thanked and praised Allah and he reminded and gave admonition. He mentioned a story in his narration and he (the Prophet ) said: “And indeed I order you to be good to the women, for they are but captives with you over whom you have no power other than that, except if they come with manifest Fahishah (evil behaviour). If they do that, then abandon their beds and beat them with a beating that is not harmful. And if they obey you then you have no cause against them. Indeed you have rights over your women, and your women have rights over you. As for your rights over your women, then they must not allow anyone whom you dislike to tread on your bedding (furniture), [1] nor to admit anyone in your home that you dislike. And their rights over you are that you treat them well in clothing them and feeding them.” (Sahih)

(Abu 'Eisa said:) This (Hadith) is Hasan Sahih. And the meaning of his saying: “they are but captives with you” means they are captives under your care. ...”

['lightly', 'not harmful', 'not painful', means no broken bones, and supposedly, not to draw blood]

Jami at-Tirmidhi, Volume 5, Book 44, Chapter 9, Number (2). 3087 -

“... (2). 3087. ... Behold! I order you to treat women well, for they are but like captives with you, you have no sovereignty beyond this over them, unless they manifest open lewdness. If they do that, then abandon their beds, and beat them with a beating that is not painful. Then if they obey you, then there is no cause for you against them beyond that. Behold! There are rights for you upon your women, and rights for your women upon you. As for your rights upon them, then they are not to allow anyone on your bedding whom you dislike, nor to permit anyone whom you dislike in your homes. Behold! Indeed their rights upon you are that you treat them well in clothing them and feeding them.” (Hasan) [Abü 'Elsa said:] This Hadith is Hasan Sahth. Abu Al-Ahwas (also) reported it from Shabib bin Gharqadah. ...”​

Sunan Ibn Majah, Volume 3, Book 9, Chapter 10, Number 1869 -

“... As for Abu Jahm, he is a man who habitually beats woman. ...” (Sahih)​

Jami at-Tirmidhi, Volume 6, Glossary of Islamic terms; page 580:

“... ImIäs: (5') An abortion caused by being beaten over one's (a pregnant
wife's) abdomen
. ...”​

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
A fair way to approach a holy book is to say, what does it say regarding women. Is it just or unjust? Fair or unfair to them?

And if there are differences in practice and law with regards to them, does it justify it?

Dealing with some Edge cases.

1. "beat them"

It literally in the context, means sex. It means continue and do have intercourse with them. The verse is saying don't act according to your fear but rather, just admonish them while not talking to them about it as well as not admonishing them in their bedrooms regarding it and to continue to have intercourse with them.

It's been twisted and recited in the worst possible way, and God is the refuge from Satan.

2. Allowed to have sex with women slaves.

No such thing, see the thread about whether Quran ever allowed slavery.

3. Don't need permission of Wife to marry another.

False, a woman when entering marriage has sexual authority over her husband, as such, the husband needs permission from his wife/wives to marry another.

4. A woman as a half-witness.

Two women are required in place of a man with regards to somethings, but this not due to weakness on their part, but a strength, in that, they can remember from associations better then men. Men think in boxes while women by associations, so woman associating another woman with the event can remember through that association, while chances are it won't have that firm effect with a man. This doesn't mean their memory is worse, it means, they can remember due to another reminding them while a man probably would not.

5. Inheritance is due to woman not working or something on those lines.

To me and I can be wrong, but it seems, the inheritance law is to protect women from men seeking daughters of rich fathers to marry. It seems woman look for character already, but, bad enough men care mostly on looks and it would be worse if they can get as much inheritance from the rich father of their wife. It seems this law was a protective measure against this. Khadija was wealthy and worked hard to reach the status and position in wealth and commerce that she did. She is deemed one of the greatest woman to ever live.

6. Why can men marry more then one wife?

Aside from the child being known, it was said, this was to take care of orphans and with that intention or similar noble intentions, but if the man feels he can't act justly towards them, to marry only one. Besides that a man can't without woman's permission per Quran ( I know Shiite and Sunni Jurists disagree and will say wife's permission not required).

Now these are the edge cases I know about. Now if anyone can bring other edge cases, I will try to respond. If not, I will talk about the position of women in Quran aside from the edge cases in my next post.

Ummmmm, I think you need to quit while you're ahead on your apologism.

Starting with #1, you just told us "It's not so bad, because beat means rape."

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus

No such thing, see the thread about whether Quran ever allowed slavery. ...
I think your dawah is broken:

[09] Men can rape [have sex with] their captives/slaves [even if they are the wife of a man [enemy] still alive, even in front of them, or practice 'Azl [[withdrawing prior to climax, so there might not be a pregnancy] so they can ransom the slave back], in any manner/way they will:

Surah 4:3 (al-Hilali-Khan translation) -

“... And if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with the orphan-girls then marry (other) women of your choice, two or three, or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one or (the slaves) that your right hands posses. That is nearer to prevent you from doing injustice. ...”​

Surah 4:3 (Pickthall translation) -

... [the captives] that your right hands possess. ..."​

Surah 4:3 (Yusuf-Ali translation) -

"... or (a captive) that your right hands possess ..."​

Tafsir of al-Jalalayn on Surah 4:3 -

“... [4:3] If you fear that you will not act justly, [that] you will [not] be equitable, towards the orphans, and are thus distressed in this matter, then also fear lest you be unjust towards women when you marry them; marry such (mā means man) women as seem good to you, two or three or four, that is, [each man may marry] two, or three, or four, but do not exceed this; but if you fear you will not be equitable, towards them in terms of [their] expenses and [individual] share; then, marry, only one, or, restrict yourself to, what your right hands own, of slavegirls, since these do not have the same rights as wives; thus, by that marrying of only four, or only one, or resorting to slavegirls, it is likelier, it is nearer [in outcome], that you will not be unjust, [that] you will [not] be inequitable. ...”​

Surah 4:24 (al-Hilali-Khan translation) -

“... Also (forbidden are) women already married, except those (slaves) whom your right hands possess. ...”​

Surah 4:24 (Pickthall translation) -

“... 24. And all married women [are forbidden unto you] save those [captives] whom your right hands possess. It is a decree of Allah for you. ...”​

Surah 4:24 (Shakir translation) -

“... 24. And all married women except those whom your right hands possess [this is] Allah's ordinance to you, ...”​

Surah 4:24 (Yusuf-Ali translation) -

“... Also (prohibited are) women already married, except those whom your right hands possess: (537) Thus hath Allah ordained ...”​

* Surah 4:24 Yusuf-Ali translation notes - “537: Whom your right hands possess: i.e., captives in a Jihad. (R). ...”

Tafsir al-Jalalayn on Surah 4:24 -

“... [4:24] And, forbidden to you are, wedded women, those with spouses, that you should marry them before they have left their spouses, be they Muslim free women or not; save what your right hands own, of captured [slave] girls, whom you may have sexual intercourse with, even if they should have spouses among the enemy camp, but only after they have been absolved of the possibility of pregnancy [after the completion of one menstrual cycle]; this is what [allah] has prescribed for you (kitāba is in the accusative because it is the verbal noun). Lawful for you (read passive wa-uhilla, or active wa-ahalla), ...”​

Surah 23:5-6 (al-Hilali-Khan translation) -

“... [v.5] And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts) [v.6] Except from their wives or (the slaves) that their right hands possess, -- for then, they are free from blame; ...”​

Surah 23:5-6 (Pickthall translation) -

“... [v.5] And who guard their modesty – [v.6] Save from their wives or the [slaves] that their right hands possess, for then they are not blameworthy, ...”​

Surah 23:5-6 (Shakir translation) -

“... [v.5] And who guard their private parts, [v.6] Except before their mates or those whom their right hands possess, for they surely are not blameable, ...”​

Surah 23:5-6 (Yusuf-Ali translation) -

“... [v.5] Who abstain from sex, [v.6] Except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess,- for (in their case) they are free from blame, ...”​

Tafsir of al-Jalalayn on Surah 23:5-6 -

“... [23:5] and who guard their private parts, against what is unlawful, [23:6] except from their spouses, that is, to their spouses, and what [slaves] their right hands possess, that is, concubines, for then they are not blameworthy, in having sexual intercourse with them. ...”​

Surah 70:29-30 (al-Hilali-Khan translation) -

“... [v.29] And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts from illegal sexual acts). [v.30] Except from their wives or the (women slaves) whom their right hands possess -- for (then) they are not blameworthy. ...”​

Surah 70:29-30 (Pickthall translation) -

“... [v.29] And those who preserve their chastity [v.30] Save with their wives and those whom their right hands possess, for thus they are not blameworthy; ...”​

Surah 70:29-30 (Shakir translation) -

“... [v.29] And those who guard their private parts, [v.30] Except in the case of their wives or those whom their right hands possess – for these surely are not to be blamed, ...”​

Surah 70:29-20 (Yusuf-Ali translation) -

“... [v.29] And those who guard their chastity, [v.30] Except with their wives and the (captives) whom their right hands possess,-- for (then) they are not to be blamed, ...”​

Tafsir of al-Jalalyn on Surah 70:29-30 -

“... [70:29] and those who guard their private parts, [70:30] except from their wives and those whom their right hands own, in the way of slavegirls, for in that case they are not blameworthy; ...”​

Surah 2:223 (al-Hilali-Khan translation) -

“... Your wives are a tilth [*] for you, so go to your tilth, when or how you will, and send (good deeds, or ask Allah to bestow upon you pious offspring) for your ownselves beforehand. And fear Allah, and know that you are to meet Him (in the Hereafter), and give good tidings to the believers (O Muhammad). ...”​

* Surah 2:223 (al-Hilali-Khan translation notes) - “... (V.2:223): have sexual relations with your wives in any manner as long as it is in the vagina and not in the anus. ...”​

Tafsir al-Jalalayn on Surah 2:223 -

“... [2:223] Your women are a tillage for you, that is, the place where you sow [the seeds of] your children; so come to your tillage, that is, the specified place, the front part, as, in whichever way, you wish, whether standing up, sitting down, lying down, from the front or the back: this was revealed in response to the Jews saying that if a person had vaginal intercourse with his wife from behind, the child would be born cross-eyed; and offer for your souls, righteous deeds, such as saying, ‘In the Name of God’ (bismillāh) when you commence intercourse; and fear God, in what He commands and prohibits; and know that you shall meet Him, at the Resurrection, where He will requite you according to your deeds; and give good tidings, of Paradise, to the believers, who feared Him. ...”​

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 6, Book 60, Number 50 -

“... Narrated Nafi': Whenever Ibn 'Umar recited the Qur'an, he would not speak to anyone till he had finished his recitation. Once I held the Qur'an and he recited Surat-al-Baqara from his memory and then stopped at a certain Verse and said, “Do you know in what connection this Verse was revealed?” I replied, “No.” He said, “It was revealed in such-and-such connection.” Ibn 'Umar then resumed his recitation. Nafi added regarding the Verse: – ”So go to your tilth when or how you will” Ibn 'Umar said, “It means one should approach his wife in ..” ...”​

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 6, Book 60, Number 51 -

“... Narrated Jabir: Jews used to say: “If one has sexual intercourse with his wife from the back, then she will deliver a squint-eyed child.” So this Verse was revealed: – “Your wives are a tilth unto you; so go to your tilth when or how you will.” (2.223) ...”​

Sunan Abu Dawud, Volume 2, Book 12, Chapter 42/43, Number 2151 -

“... 2151. It was reported from Abu Az-Zubair, from Jabir, that the Prophet once saw a woman, so he went to Zainab bint Jahsh and satisfied his desires with her. He then came to his Companions and said to them: “A woman appears in the form of a Shaitan [Satan], so whoever finds any (effects) of that in him, let him go to his wife, for it will hide what is in him.” (Sahih) ...”​

Sunan Abu Dawud, Volume 2, Book 12, Chapter 43/44, Number 2155 -

“... 2155. Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri narrated that the Messenger of Allah sent an expedition to Awtas on the Day of Hunain, and they met the enemy, fought them, and won the battle. They captured some slaves, but some of the Companions of the Messenger of Allah felt uncomfortable in having relations with them because of their pagan husbands. At this, Allah revealed: “And chaste, free women, except for those whom your right hand possess...” [1] [1: An-Nisa 4:24] meaning that they are allowed for you after their waiting periods have finished. (Sahih) …”​

Sunan Abu Dawud, Volume 2, Book 12, Chapter 44/45, Number 2163 -

“... 2163. Jabir narrated: “The Jews used to say that if a man approached his wife from the vagina but from her rear, then the child will be born with a squint.” At this, Allah revealed: “Your women are as a tilth to you, so approach your tilth as and when you please.” [1] [1: Al-Baqarah 2:223] (Sahih) ...”​

Sunan Abu Dawud, Volume 2, Book 12, Chapter 47/48, Number 2172 -

“... 2172. Ibn Muhairiz narrated: “I entered the Masjid and saw Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri sitting there, so I sat next to him and asked him about 'Azl [“withdrawing before climax”]. He said: 'We went with the Messenger of Allah on the expedition of Banu Mustaliq, and captured some Arab slaves. And we desired women, for being single had become difficult for us. And we also desired to ransom (these slaves), so we wished to practice 'Azl. The we said (to ourselves): “Will we do this while the Messenger of Allah is in our midst without having asked him first?” So we asked him about it, and he said: “There will be no harm upon you if you don't do it. There is no soul that will be created until the Day of Judgment except that it shall be created.” (Sahih) ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 14, Number 3325 -

“... Anas (Allah be pleased with him) reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) set out on an expedition to Khaibar and we observed our morning prayer in early hours of the dawn. The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) then mounted and so did Abu Talha ride, and I was seating myself behind Abu Talha. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) moved in the narrow street of Khaibar (and we rode so close to each other in the street) that my knee touched the leg of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him). (A part of the) lower garment of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) slipped from his leg and I could see the whiteness of the leg of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him). As he entered the habitation he called: Allah-o-Akbar (Allah is the Greatest). Khaibar is ruined. And when we get down in the valley of a people evil is the morning of the warned ones. He repeated it thrice. In the meanwhile the people went out for their work, and said: By Allah, Muhammad (has come). Abd al-'Aziz or some of our companions said: Muhammad and the army (have come). He said: We took it (the territory of Khaibar) by force, and there were gathered the prisoners of war. There came Dihya and he said: Messenger of Allah, bestow upon me a girl out of the prisoners. He said: Go and get any girl. He made a choice for Safiyya daughter of Huyayy (b. Akhtab). There came a person to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) and said: Apostle of Allah, you have bestowed Safiyya bint Huyayy, the chief of Quraiza and al-Nadir, upon Dihya and she is worthy of you only. He said: Call him along with her. So he came along with her. When Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) saw her he said: Take any other woman from among the prisoners. He (the narrator) said: He (the Holy Prophet) then granted her emancipation and married her. Thabit said to him: Abu Hamza, how much dower did he (the Holy Prophet) give to her? He said: He granted her freedom and then married her. On the way Umm Sulaim embellished her and then sent her to him (the Holy Prophet) at night. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) appeared as a bridegroom in the morning. He (the Holy Prophet) said: He who has anything (to eat) should bring that. Then the cloth was spread. A person came with cheese, another came with dates, and still another came with refined butter, and they prepared hais and that was the wedding feast of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 14, Number 3326 -

“... This hadith has been narrated through another chain of transmitters on the authority of Anas that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) emancipated Safiyya, and her emancipation was treated as her wedding gift, and in the hadith transmitted by Mu'adh on the authority of his father (the words are): “He (the Holy Prophet) married Safiyya and bestowed her emancipation as her wedding gift.” ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 14, Number 3327 -

“... Abu Musa reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said about one who emancipated a slave woman, and then married her, that for him there are two rewards. ...”​

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 14, Number 3328 -

“... Anas (Allah be pleased with him) reported: I was sitting behind Abu Talha on the Day of Khaibar and my feet touched the foot of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him), and we came (to the people of Khaibar) when the sun had risen and they had driven out their cattle, and had themselves come out with their axes, large baskets and hatchets, and they said: (Here come) Muhammad and the army. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Khaibar is ruined. Verily when we get down in the valley of a people, evil is the morning of the warned ones (al-Qur'an, xxxvii. 177). Allah, the Majestic and the Glorious, defeated them (the inhabitants of Khaibar), and there fell to the lot of Dihya a beautiful girl, and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) got her in exchange of seven heads, and then entrusted her to Umm Sulaim so that she might embellish her and prepare her (for marriage) with him. He (the narrator) said: He had been under the impression that he had said that so that she might spend her period of 'Iddah in her (Umm Sulaim's) house. (The woman) was Safiyya daughter of Huyayy. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) arranged the wedding feast consisting of dates, cheese, and refined butter, and pits were dug and tiers were set in them dining cloths, and there was brought cheese and refined butter, and these were placed there. And the people ate to their fill, and they said: We do not know whether he (the Holy Prophet) had married her (as a free woman), or as a slave woman. They said: If he (the Holy Prophet) would make her wear the veil, then she would be a (free married) woman, and if he would not make her wear the veil, then she should be a slave woman. When he intended to ride, he made her wear the veil and she sat on the hind part of the camel; so they came to know that he had married her. As they approached Medina, Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) drove (his ride) quickly and so we did. 'Adba' (the name of Al-lah's Apostle's camel) stumbled and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) fell down and she (Radrat Safiyya: also fell down. He (the Holy Prophet) stood up and covered her. woman looked towards her and said: May Allah keep away the Jewess! He (the narrator) said: I said: Aba Hamza, did Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) really fall down? He said: Yes, by Allah, he in fact fell down. Anas said: I also saw the wedding feast of Zainab, and he (the Holy Prophet) served bread and meat to the people, and made them eat to their heart's content, and he (the Holy Prophet) sent me to call people, and as he was free (from the ceremony) he stood up and I followed him. Two persons were left and they were busy in talking and did not get out (of the apartment). He (the Holy Prophet) then proceeded towards (the apartments of) his wives. He greeted with as-Salamu 'alaikum to every one of them and said: Members of the household, how are you? They said: Messenger of Allah, we are in good state 'How do you find your family? He would say: In good state. When he was free from (this work of exchanging greetings) he came back, and I also came back along with him. And as he reached the door, (he found) that the two men were still busy in talking. And when they saw him having returned, they stood up and went out; and by Allah! I do not know whether I had informed him, or there was a revelation to him (to the affect) that they had gone. He (the Holy Prophet) then came back and I also returned along with him, and as he put his step on the threshold of his door he hung a curtain between me and him, and (it was on this occasion) that Allah revealed this verse: “(O you who believe), do not enter the houses of the Prophet unless permission is given to 'you” (xxxiii. 53). ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 14, Number 3329 -

“... Anas, (Allah be pleased with him) reported: Safiyya (Allah be pleased with her) fell to the lot of Dihya in the spoils of war, and they praised her in the presence of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said: We have not seen the like of her among the captives of war. He sent (a messenger) to Dihya and he gave him whatever he demanded. He then sent her to my mother and asked her to embellish her. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) then got out of Khaibar until when he was on the other side of it, he halted, and a tent was pitched for him. When it was morning Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: He who has surplus of provision with him should bring that to us. Some persons would bring the surplus of dates, and the other surplus of mush of barley until there became a heap of bals. They began to eat the hais and began to drink out of the pond which had the water of rainfall in it and which was situated by their side. Anas said that that constituted the wedding feast of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). He (further) said: We proceeded until we saw the walls of Medina, and we were delighted. We made our mounts run quickly and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) also made his mount run quickly. And Safiyya (Allah be pleased with her) was at his back, and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) had seated her behind him. The camel of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) stumbled and he (the Holy Prophet) fell down and she also fell down. And none among the people was seeing him and her, until Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) stood up and he covered her, and we came to him and he said: We have received no injury. We entered Medina and there came out the young ladies of the household. They saw her (hadrat Safiyya) and blamed her for falling down. ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 22, Number 3371 -

“... Abu Sirma said to Abu Sa'id al Khadri (Allah he pleased with him): O Abu Sa'id, did you hear Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) mentioning al-'azl? He said: Yes, and added: We went out with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) on the expedition to the Bi'l-Mustaliq and took captive some excellent Arab women; and we desired them, for we were suffering from the absence of our wives, (but at the same time) we also desired ransom for them. So we decided to have sexual intercourse with them but by observing 'azl (Withdrawing the male sexual organ before emission of semen to avoid-conception). But we said: We are doing an act whereas Allah's Messenger is amongst us; why not ask him? So we asked Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him), and he said: It does not matter if you do not do it, for every soul that is to be born up to the Day of Resurrection will be born. ...”
Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 22, Number 3377 -

“... Abu Sa'id al-Khudri (Allah be pleased with him) reported that mention was made of 'azl in the presence of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) whereupon he said: Why do you practise it? They said: There is a man whose wife has to suckle the child, and if that person has a sexual intercourse with her (she may conceive) which he does not like, and there is another person who has a slave-girl and he has a sexual intercourse with her, but he does not like her to have conception so that she may not become Umm Walad, whereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: There is no harm if you do not do that, for that (the birth of the child) is something pre- ordained. Ibn 'Aun said: I made a mention of this hadith to Hasan, and he said: By Allah, (it seems) as if there is upbraiding in it (for 'azl). ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Chapter 29 Heading -

“... Chapter 29: It is permissible to have sexual intercourse with a captive woman after she is purified (of menses or delivery) in case she has a husband, her marriage is abrogated after she becomes captive ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 29, Number 3432 -

“... Abu Sa'id al-Khudri (Allah her pleased with him) reported that at the Battle of Hanain Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) sent an army to Autas and encountered the enemy and fought with them. Having overcome them and taken them captives, the Companions of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) seemed to refrain from having intercourse with captive women because of their husbands being polytheists. Then Allah, Most High, sent down regarding that: “And women already married, except those whom your right hands possess (iv. 24)” (i. e. they were lawful for them when their 'Idda period came to an end). ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 29, Number 3433 -

“... Abu Sa'id al-Khudri (Allah be pleased with him) reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) sent a small army. The rest of the hadith is the same except this that he said: Except what your right hands possess out of them are lawful for you; and he did not mention “when their 'idda period comes to an end”. This hadith has been reported on the authority of Abu Sa'id (al-Khudri) (Allah be pleased with him) through another chain of transmitters and the words are: They took captives (women) on the day of Autas who had their husbands. They were afraid (to have sexual intercourse with them) when this verse was revealed: “And women already married except those whom you right hands possess” (iv. 24) ...”​

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 47, Number 755 -

“... Narrated 'Urwa from 'Aisha: The wives of Allah's Apostle were in two groups. One group consisted of 'Aisha, Hafsa, Safiyya and Sauda; and the other group consisted of Um Salama and the other wives of Allah's Apostle. The Muslims knew that Allah's Apostle loved 'Aisha, so if any of them had a gift and wished to give to Allah's Apostle, he would delay it, till Allah's Apostle had come to 'Aisha's home and then he would send his gift to Allah's Apostle in her home. The group of Um Salama discussed the matter together and decided that Um Salama should request Allah's Apostle to tell the people to send their gifts to him in whatever wife's house he was. Um Salama told Allah's Apostle of what they had said, but he did not reply. Then they (those wives) asked Um Salama about it. She said, “He did not say anything to me.” They asked her to talk to him again. She talked to him again when she met him on her day, but he gave no reply. When they asked her, she replied that he had given no reply. They said to her, “Talk to him till he gives you a reply.” When it was her turn, she talked to him again. He then said to her, “Do not hurt me regarding Aisha, as the Divine Inspirations do not come to me on any of the beds except that of Aisha.” On that Um Salama said, “I repent to Allah for hurting you.” Then the group of Um Salama called Fatima, the daughter of Allah's Apostle and sent her to Allah's Apostle to say to him, “Your wives request to treat them and the daughter of Abu Bakr on equal terms.” Then Fatima conveyed the message to him. The Prophet said, “O my daughter! Don't you love whom I love?” She replied in the affirmative and returned and told them of the situation. They requested her to go to him again but she refused. They then sent Zainab bint Jahsh who went to him and used harsh words saying, “Your wives request you to treat them and the daughter of Ibn Abu Quhafa on equal terms.” On that she raised her voice and abused 'Aisha to her face so much so that Allah's Apostle looked at 'Aisha to see whether she would retort. 'Aisha started replying to Zainab till she silenced her. The Prophet then looked at 'Aisha and said, “She is really the daughter of Abu Bakr.” ...”​

The Battles of the Prophet, by Ibn Kathir, translated by Wa'il 'Abdul Mut'aal Shihab, page 130 -

“... The the inhabitants of Khaibar came out running on the roads. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) had their warriors killed, their offspring and woman taken as captives. Safiyah was amongst the captives. She first came in the share of Dahya Alkalbi but later on she belonged to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) made her manumission as her Mahr (dowry). ...”​

The Battles of the Prophet, by Ibn Kathir, translated by Wa'il 'Abdul Mut'aal Shihab, pages 134-135 -

[page 134] “... The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him), as Ibn Ishaq narrated, seized the property piece by piece and conquered the forts one by one as he came to them. The first to fall was of Na'im; then Al-Qamus the fort of Banu Al-Huqayq. The Messenger took captives from them among whom was Safiyah, daughter of Huyayy Ibn Aktab [page 134-135] who had been the wife of Kinana Ibn Al-Rabi' Ibn Al-Huqayq, and two cousins of hers. The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) chose Safiyah for himself ...”​

The Battles of the Prophet, by Ibn Kathir, translated by Wa'il 'Abdul Mut'aal Shihab, pages 136-138 -

[page 136-138] “...The Prophet Marries Safiyah bint Huyayy

Anas (may Allah be pleased him him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) offered the Fajr Prayer near Khaibar when it was still dark and then said,

“Allahu-Akbar (Allah is the Greatest)! Khaibar is destroyed, for whenever we approach a (hostile) nation (to fight), then evil will be the morning for those who have been warned.”

Then the inhabitants of Khaibar came out running on the roads. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) had their warriors killed, their offspring and woman taken as captives. Safiyah was amongst the captives. She first came in the share of Dahya Alkalbi but later on she belonged to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) made her manumission as her Mahr.

Anas Ibn Malik also said, “We arrived at Khaibar, and when Allah helped His Messenger to open the fort, the beauty of Safiyah bint Huyayy Ibn Aktab whose husband had been killed while she was a bride, was mentioned to Allah's Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) selected her for himself, and set out with her, and when we reached a place called Sidd-as-Sahba', [page 136-137] Safiyah became clean from her menses then Allah's Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) married her. Hais (i.e., an 'Arabian dish) was prepared on a small leather mat. Then the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said to me, 'I invite the people around you.' So that was the marriage banquet of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and Safiyah. Then we proceeded towards Madinah, and I saw the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), making for her a kind of cushion with his cloak behind him (on his camel). He then sat beside his camel and put his knee for Safiyah to put her foot on, in order to ride (on the camel).”

Anas Ibn Malik said, “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) stayed with Safiyah bint Huyayy for three days on the way of Khaibar where he consummated his marriage with her. Safiyah was amongst those who were ordered to use a veil.”

In another narration, Anas said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) stayed for three nights between Khaibar and Madinah and was married to Safiyah. I invited the Muslim to his marriage banquet and there was neither meat nor bread in that banquet but the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) ordered Bilal to spread the leather mats on which dates, dried yogurt and butter were put. The Muslims said amongst [page 137-138] themselves, “Will she (i.e., Safiyah) be one of the mothers of the believers, i.e., one of the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), or just(a lady captive) of what his right-hand possesses.” Some of them said, “If the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) makes her observe the veil, then she will be one of the mothers of the believers (i.e., one of the Prophet's wives), and if he does not make her observe the veil, then she will be his lady slave.” So when he departed, he made a place for her behind him (on his mount) and made her observe the veil.” ...”\​

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ummmmm, I think you need to quit while you're ahead on your apologism.

Starting with #1, you just told us "It's not so bad, because beat means rape."

It's telling men regarding women they are to be moral lifters/support so if they fear not to act on it and the final thing is suggestive to continue to have intercourse with them and not let their fear destroy a healthy relationship, don't let their doubt or suspicions take over.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
@coconut theology I'm aware of these hadiths, but hadiths are not authoritative unless they can be backed up by Quran and reason.
Not so. The Sunnah of Muhammad, especially that which is Sahih, are valid jurisprudence in Islamic law (Sharia).

Surah 33:36 (al-Hilali-Khan translation) -

“... It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error. ...”​

Surah 4:65 (al-Hilali-Khan translation) -

“... But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission. ...”
Surah 33:21 (Maududi translation) -

"... Surely there was a good example for you in the Messenger of Allah, for all those who look forward to Allah and the Last Day and remember Allah much. ..."​

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, my evidence is pretty clear. If you desire to try to attempt an answer, feel free to respond to what I have provided from officially sanctioned and approved Islamic primary sources.

That thread deals with that though, it talks about the translations.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
It's about Muta ...
Muhammad allowed Mutah [Mut'a], hired prostitutes, a temporary marriage for sex, in exchange for gifts, and while some have said that Muhammad later forbade this on the Day of Khaibar [see below] though there was nothing stated of permanence, but merely for that time being, while others yet say that Muhammad never forbade this, but it was only much later that 'Umar forbade it after the death of Muhammad, and others still yet say, it was never forbidden, while others still say that there are certain conditions that are illegal [according to Shari'ah], but still allowed in the Qur'an [Surah 5:87 (al-Hilali-Khan translation) or also Surah 5:90 (Pickthall translation), etc] and as example was still practised long after the death of Muhammad, in the days of Abu Bakr and 'Umar [see Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 3, Number 3248-3249, etc]. Therefore, there are some Muslim sects, persons which still practice this, while others do not, even amidst differences over it. -

Surah 4:24 (Shakir translation) -

“... And all married women except those whom your right hands possess [this is] Allah's ordinance to you, and lawful for you are [all women] besides those, provided that you seek [them] with your property, taking [them] in marriage not committing fornication. Then as to those whom you profit by, give them their dowries as appointed; and there is no blame on you about what you mutually agree after what is appointed; surely Allah is Knowing, Wise. ...”​

Tafsir of al-Jalalayn on Surah 4:24 -

“... [4:24] And, forbidden to you are, wedded women, those with spouses, that you should marry them before they have left their spouses, be they Muslim free women or not; save what your right hands own, of captured [slave] girls, whom you may have sexual intercourse with, even if they should have spouses among the enemy camp, but only after they have been absolved of the possibility of pregnancy [after the completion of one menstrual cycle]; this is what God has prescribed for you (kitāba is in the accusative because it is the verbal noun). Lawful for you (read passive wa-uhilla, or active wa-ahalla), beyond all that, that is, except what He has forbidden you of women, is that you seek, women, using your wealth, by way of a dowry or a price, in wedlock and not, fornicating, in illicitly. Such wives as you enjoy thereby, and have had sexual intercourse with, give them their wages, the dowries that you have assigned them, as an obligation; you are not at fault in agreeing together, you and they, after the obligation, is waived, decreased or increased. God is ever Knowing, of His creatures, Wise, in what He has ordained for them. ...”​

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 62, Number 51 -

“... Narrated Abu Jamra: I heard Ibn Abbas (giving a verdict) when he was asked about the Mut'a with the women, and he permitted it (Nikah-al-Mut'a). On that a freed slave of his said to him, “That is only when it is very badly needed and women are scarce." On that, Ibn 'Abbas said, “Yes.” ...”​

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 62, Number 52 -

“... Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah and Salama bin Al-Akwa': While we were in an army, Allah's Apostle came to us and said, “You have been allowed to do the Mut'a (marriage), so do it.” Salama bin Al-Akwa' said: Allah's Apostle's said, “If a man and a woman agree (to marry temporarily), their marriage should last for three nights, and if they like to continue, they can do so; and if they want to separate, they can do so.” I do not know whether that was only for us or for all the people in general. Abu Abdullah (Al-Bukhari) said: 'Ali made it clear that the Prophet said, “The Mut'a marriage has been cancelled (made unlawful).” ...”​

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 86, Number 90 -

“... Narrated 'Abdullah: Nafi narrated to me that 'Abdullah said that Allah's Apostle forbade the Shighar. I asked Nafi', “What is the Shighar?” He said, “It is to marry the daughter of a man and marry one's daughter to that man (at the same time) without Mahr (in both cases); or to marry the sister of a man and marry one's own sister to that man without Mahr.” Some people said, “If one, by a trick, marries on the basis of Shighar, the marriage is valid but its condition is illegal.” The same scholar said regarding Al-Mut'a, “The marriage is invalid and its condition is illegal.” Some others said, “The Mut'a and the Shighar are permissible but the condition is illegal.” ...”​

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 86, Number 91 -

“... Narrated Muhammad bin 'Ali: 'Ali was told that Ibn 'Abbas did not see any harm in the Mut'a marriage. 'Ali said, “Allah's Apostle forbade the Mut'a marriage on the Day of the battle of Khaibar and he forbade the eating of donkey's meat.” Some people said, “If one, by a tricky way, marries temporarily, his marriage is illegal.” Others said, “The marriage is valid but its condition is illegal.” ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 007, Chapter 32, Number 2874 -

“... Abd Nadra reported: While I was in the company of Jibir, a person came and said: There is difference of opinion amomg Ibn Abbas and Ibn Zubair about two Mut'as (benefits, Tamattul in Hajj and temporary marriage with women), whereupon jibir said: We have been doing this during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger (way peace be upon him), and then 'Umar forbade us to do so, and we never resorted to them. ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 3, Number 3243 -

“... Abdullah (b. Mas'ud) reported: We were on an expedition with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and we had no women with us. We said: Should we not have ourselves castrated? He (the Holy Prophet) forbade us to do so He then granted us permission that we should contract temporary marriage for a stipulated period giving her a garment, and 'Abdullah then recited this verse: 'Those who believe do not make unlawful the good things which Allah has made lawful for you, and do not transgress. Allah does not like trangressers" (al-Qur'an, v. 87). ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 3, Number 3244 -

“... This hadith has been narrated on the authority of Jarir with the same chain of transmitters and he also recited this (above-mentioned verse) to us, but he did not say that 'Abdullah recited it. ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 3, Number 3245 -

“... This hadith has been narrated on the authority of Isma'il with the same chain of transmitters (and the words are): “We were young, so we said: Allah's Messenger, should we not have ourselves castrated? But he (the narrator) did not say; We were on an expedition.” ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 3, Number 3246 -

“... Jabir b. 'Abdullah and Salama b. al-Akwa' said: There came to us the proclaimer of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) has granted you permission to benefit yourselves, i. e. to contract temporary marriage with women. ...”​

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Chapter 3, Number 3247 -

“... Salama b. al. Akwa' and Jabir b. Abdullah reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) came to us and permitted us to contract temporary marriage. ...”​
[