• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The paranormal!

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Does anyone know about the paranormal investigation team called TAPS? They have a show called Ghost Hunters. Of all the supposedly paranormal video footage I've seen, their stuff is the most convincing. I think most of it is actually genuine.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Genna said:
When I use to dabble in sorcery I use to see apparitions all the time, I think that they are probably demons. I think that some of these demons pretend to be the spirits/ghosts of relatives who have departed. I have also seen ufos in the skies and know that they were not comets or stars or any worldly aerial craft of any sort. They defied the laws of physics and maneuvered intelligently! If these are creatures from other planets, how does this fit into religion?

There are no created demons but there are other dimensional beings who are selfish and angry. Send them away with the swipe of your hand.

Nothing ever defies the laws of physics. This is not possible. God does not create laws and then break them. We just don't know the nature of gravity so we can't duplicate the technology yet.

How do UFO's fit into religion? At the moment they don't have to because there is no indisputable proof.

But I think one day they will fit in just the same way evolution does. Things have a way of forcing their way in. Any religion that goes against scientific fact loses credibility and people will move away from it over time.

The truth is the truth regardless of our desires or ability to accept it. It does not change to suit our whims.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Real Sorceror said:
Does anyone know about the paranormal investigation team called TAPS? They have a show called Ghost Hunters. Of all the supposedly paranormal video footage I've seen, their stuff is the most convincing. I think most of it is actually genuine.

Technology and video editing is quite advanced now, so far with thier show I have no reason to believe that it's more than camera and editing tricks.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
MaddLlama said:
Technology and video editing is quite advanced now, so far with thier show I have no reason to believe that it's more than camera and editing tricks.
You think so? Man, it'd be a real shame if they where fruads.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
MaddLlama said:
Just like sasquatch and the loch ness monster. *shrug* Life goes on.
:areyoucra Except that Bigfoot and Nessy are just urban legends with no real evidence.
People all over the world have believed in ghosts and spirits for thousands of years. Theres gotta be something to that.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Real Sorceror said:
:areyoucra Except that Bigfoot and Nessy are just urban legends with no real evidence.
People all over the world have believed in ghosts and spirits for thousands of years. Theres gotta be something to that.

Why do you think that spirits and ghosts have more compelling evidence than Bigfoot? Plenty of people believe in bigfoot, and they think there's plenty of proof that he exists. I see this as no different from believing in ghosts, spirits, or God. They are all supernatural things which have no real evidence as to thier existance. Just because some people believe in them doesn't make them true.
People have believed in bigfoot for hundreds of years - ever hear of the Chupacabra? Same thing. So, because he is an old Mexican belief, does that mean it's real?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Real Sorceror said:
Spirit is, by definition, immaterial, so if they are recording something, they are recording the material, not the immaterial.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
MaddLlama said:
Why do you think that spirits and ghosts have more compelling evidence than Bigfoot? Plenty of people believe in bigfoot, and they think there's plenty of proof that he exists. I see this as no different from believing in ghosts, spirits, or God. They are all supernatural things which have no real evidence as to thier existance. Just because some people believe in them doesn't make them true.
People have believed in bigfoot for hundreds of years - ever hear of the Chupacabra? Same thing. So, because he is an old Mexican belief, does that mean it's real?
Just guessing, but your an Athiest, yes?:sarcastic
1)Belief in ghosts and spirits has existed in every culture almost since the dawn of man. That alone suggest something.
2)Bigfoot is an urban legend, and the best "evidence" for him was actually a guy in a suit.
3)The Chupacabra is nothing like Bigfoot. The thing is said to be a vampire that comes at night and kills livestock. I've never heard of Bigfoot doing that. Also, the Bigfoot myth was not started by Mexicans and is not hundreds of years old.
4)I'm gonna ignore that you said theres no God. We'll start with the small stuff.
5)Is there anything you've ever witnessed that you can't rationally explian?

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Willamena said:
Spirit is, by definition, immaterial, so if they are recording something, they are recording the material, not the immaterial.
They are (hopefully)recording ghosts, which are material.

Æsahættr

Real Sorceror said:
1)Belief in ghosts and spirits has existed in every culture almost since the dawn of man. That alone suggest something.

I see nothing wrong with the explanation that our brains have evolved to be fairly paranoid, seeing life in non-life very easily. The reason for that being that if you're a primitive human who tends to suddenly get suspicious and pay attention at every sign of movement, you're more likely to avoid getting eaten by a predator. Similarly, our brains are also hard-wired to see humans shapes and hear words, hence a predisposition for seeing ghosts or hearing voices in the dark.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Æsahættr said:
I see nothing wrong with the explanation that our brains have evolved to be fairly paranoid, seeing life in non-life very easily. The reason for that being that if you're a primitive human who tends to suddenly get suspicious and pay attention at every sign of movement, you're more likely to avoid getting eaten by a predator. Similarly, our brains are also hard-wired to see humans shapes and hear words, hence a predisposition for seeing ghosts or hearing voices in the dark.
Which is all true of course, I simply believe that, on rare occasions, we are not seeing tricks of the mind but are in fact seeing a real thing.

Æsahættr

Real Sorceror said:
Which is all true of course, I simply believe that, on rare occasions, we are not seeing tricks of the mind but are in fact seeing a real thing.

Is that because you think there are some situations where the psychological explanation isn't enough?

Hacker

I believe there is much more beyond our 5 senses. There is a lot of unexplained mysteries allegedly pertaining to the paranormal phenomena. As for ghosts, people encounter these experiences...they may be exposed to wierd smells, hearing noises, objects mysteriously being misplaced. I don't believe these people to be imagining things, why? I don't know but it happens too often, and there is highly advanced technology that is used to detect such phenomena which to me is validating enough. As for ufo's, it's a possibility.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
One day I was sitting at the dinner table on a windy night. There, I was sipping my drink and looking to the moon outside through the window. And that's when I saw it! (Whoosh!!!) A humanoid flew by! It was right in the trail between me and the moonlight! Actually, I have no idea what it was, but saying it was a bipedal/humanistic creature makes the story that much more interesting.

BFD_Zayl

ok, then how do you explain what i believe? hm? no, go ahead, tell me how you feel. i give you permission to be brutal and harsh, let the mods take note of that, and that the material answering this post.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
BFD_Zayl said:
ok, then how do you explain what i believe? hm? no, go ahead, tell me how you feel. i give you permission to be brutal and harsh, let the mods take note of that, and that the material answering this post.

Are you talking to me?

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
Ah, okay. I thought the, "you," might have been directed towards me since you posted right underneath me. I was thinking I might have said something wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out.

BFD_Zayl

zombieharlot said:
Ah, okay. I thought the, "you," might have been directed towards me since you posted right underneath me. I was thinking I might have said something wrong, but couldn't quite figure it out.
nothing to worry about, im not mad..well..maybe a wee tad (heh heh.. i said wee) because really, when you say ghosts,spirits,apparitions,etc. dont exist your pretty much sayin my religion does not exist, thats all