• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The paranormal!

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
As my first question on this board, I'd like to ask who believes/disbelieves in the paranormal and supernatural. I'm talking mostly about ghosts, magic, psychics, mediums, and all manner of other out of the ordinary things.
Now, while I myself believe in the paranormal, I will say that there is a massive number of fakes and hoaxes. I'm not certian, but I think there are actually more fruads than real deals.
Also, on a related question, I found out that many Christians don't believe in ghosts. I found this rather odd, considering the amount of supernatural events they believe in.

YamiB.

I'd say I share pretty much the same views as you.

I believe in a number of paranormal things. But I will still remain skeptical of people who make claims relating to them because I'm aware a great deal of them are false.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i think i share your view, RS :)

i believe in the things i have experienced, and i believe that there are many real mediums in the world, but at the same time, some people will do anything for a quick buck :yes:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Real Sorceror said:
As my first question on this board, I'd like to ask who believes/disbelieves in the paranormal and supernatural. I'm talking mostly about ghosts, magic, psychics, mediums, and all manner of other out of the ordinary things.
Now, while I myself believe in the paranormal, I will say that there is a massive number of fakes and hoaxes. I'm not certian, but I think there are actually more fruads than real deals.

I think most, or even the vast majority, of paranormal events are hoaxes or tricks of the mind.

But I generally think that the universe is stranger than we think it is sometimes, and that things are more interconnected than we know. So it's possible some of the stuff is true.

logician

The stuff we see on TV is fake, in general, although I don't discount the possibility of paranormal events out of hand. I don't believe in ghosts, or spirits, however, only the possibility that out brains may have some abilities not readily apparent.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I believe in a lot of paranormal activities and events. I believe in spirits, in... places adopting something of the atmosphere during specific events that took place there.

Take Srebrenica, for example. There was a Romanian medium who came to Bosnia in 1998 to visit Srebrenica and they found her body hanging in a bombed-out hotel with a note that read, "Cursed, this place. Fantoms fill the skies around you." I don't think she killed herself for money... maybe she was crazy, but still? Kind of terrifying.

Fluffy

A fool
Also, on a related question, I found out that many Christians don't believe in ghosts. I found this rather odd, considering the amount of supernatural events they believe in.

This is perhaps not so strange given that there are two clear places that the soul is supposed to go after death and neither of those places is on Earth thereby excluding the possibility of traditional ghosts (ie the souls of dead people).

However, sometimes ghosts take on a more spirit/daemon like nature and are not seen as originating from humanity and it is conceivable than many Christians do believe in these sorts of beings given the many accounts of them in the Bible.

YamiB.

Fluffy said:
This is perhaps not so strange given that there are two clear places that the soul is supposed to go after death and neither of those places is on Earth thereby excluding the possibility of traditional ghosts (ie the souls of dead people).

However, sometimes ghosts take on a more spirit/daemon like nature and are not seen as originating from humanity and it is conceivable than many Christians do believe in these sorts of beings given the many accounts of them in the Bible.

I've also know people to believe that ghosts are spirits of dead people while belonging to a religion with an afterlife. Another way they justify the belief is to think that these spirits have not been able to move into the next realm.

Fluffy

A fool
I've also know people to believe that ghosts are spirits of dead people while belonging to a religion with an afterlife. Another way they justify the belief is to think that these spirits have not been able to move into the next realm.

That is true Yami, although I think for a Christian it might be more difficult considering the rather final and authoratative nature of the judgement that happens upon death.

YamiB.

Well besides the whole thing that comes up with all the diffrent interpretations among denominations there is another thing. Do not forget to remember the difference of what the religion says and what the majority of the people who follow the religion actually think.

Genna

When I use to dabble in sorcery I use to see apparitions all the time, I think that they are probably demons. I think that some of these demons pretend to be the spirits/ghosts of relatives who have departed. I have also seen ufos in the skies and know that they were not comets or stars or any worldly aerial craft of any sort. They defied the laws of physics and maneuvered intelligently! If these are creatures from other planets, how does this fit into religion?

kai

ragamuffin
Booko said:
I think most, or even the vast majority, of paranormal events are hoaxes or tricks of the mind.

But I generally think that the universe is stranger than we think it is sometimes, and that things are more interconnected than we know. So it's possible some of the stuff is true.
i agree with this but i have personally seen and experienced nothing of the paranormal

Æsahættr

Real Sorceror said:

I'm naturally skeptical of anything that contravenes existing scientific principles that have evidence to support them. I don't think that it's impossible that some day a paranormal clam might be confirmed, but the track record seems rather poor.
The main reason that I am more skeptical of say magic than something like string theory, although both are equally lacking in evidence, is that paranormal claims tend to have no theory behind them to explain them, and how they fit into our existing understanding of the universe.
Lastly there's the fact that most paranormal demonstrations can be repeated by magicians and psychologists, who can explain how they do it. Of course that doesn't prove that every paranormal demonstration is a hoax, but I think it should make most people sit up and think.

bigvindaloo

Real Sorceror said:

There are many similarities in the challenge persons having faith in paranormal events face with those having faith in scientifically inexplicable claims of religious faiths. Partially the credibility issue is a no-brainer. Anything unacceptable to the scientific paradigm is dismissed as quakery. However, I have met scientists whose "vision" might have been dismissed as quakery in yesteryear, and prophetic today. Interestingly, anyone seeking to invest in a speculative venture might see themselves convinced by a CEO with good sales ability. The only difference between claims of supernatural/religious phenomena and those of speculative investment is a business plan. Frauds versus real deals are only distinguishable in hindsight in both categories.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Real Sorceror said:
I believe in the supernatural, but not in the apparent results of paranormal investigations.

I do believe that some people have extraordinary gifts and talents, but that those are natural.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
I find the paranormal fascinating, but I'm mostly skeptical when it comes down to it.

I find particularly interesting the idea that our minds have far more capacity than we have yet to discover, along the lines of Michael Valentine in Stranger in a Strange Land. I believe this is just wishful thinking though.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I believe in what I've experienced. I've encountered spirits before, so I believe in them. I've never had an experience with psychic powers or magic(from myself or anyone else), so I don't believe in them.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Genna said:
When I use to dabble in sorcery I use to see apparitions all the time, I think that they are probably demons. I think that some of these demons pretend to be the spirits/ghosts of relatives who have departed. I have also seen ufos in the skies and know that they were not comets or stars or any worldly aerial craft of any sort. They defied the laws of physics and maneuvered intelligently! If these are creatures from other planets, how does this fit into religion?
My Buddhist friend told me that some sects of Buddhism believed in other planets (and other intelligent life) before the planets where confirmed by science.
I've seen a very interesting collection of videos from both the American and Russian space programs. If I can find it agian I'll post the link. Some parts where absolutely incredible, while others seemed very, very fake.