• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The paranormal

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Would believing in the paranormal, specifically ghosts, via the vast number of accounts albeit without evidence, still making a strong abductive reasoning argument in my mind due to all the stories, hold back my social progress? Why or why not?

Edit: fixed wording a bit.

Last edited:

Terry Sampson

Would believing in the paranormal, specifically ghosts, via the vast number of stories without evidence making a strong abductive reasoning argument in my mind, hold back my social progress? Why or why not?

I don't know enough about your current status in the "social progress" department to give you a definite "yes" or a definite "no", so the best answer I can give you is: "maybe/maybe not".

If, by social progress, you mean accumulating acquaintances who'll put up with your believe in the paranormal, i.e. specifically "ghosts", you're going to have decide how many you want/need to accumulate to avoid having too many or too few. If your belief affects all, or even most of your socially-relevant activities, you could end up being really popular among those who share your level of belief and really unpopular among those whistle "The Twilight Zone" Theme tune when you're around.

Or, vice versa, you could end up being really popular among others who get spooked real easy, and have to pretend you don't believe around those who have "enhanced sensitivities".

Same goes for finding "the right Other" lifetime partner. Find one who "sees dead people" everywhere, and you're never going to be alone, whether your partner is with you or not. Find one who thinks you need to be medicated regularly and frequently, you'll need to ask for a financial wealth report, in order to determine whether they can and will pay for you medication and occasional/frequent therapeutic lockdowns.

Sorry I can't give better advice.

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I don't know enough about your current status in the "social progress" department to give you a definite "yes" or a definite "no", so the best answer I can give you is: "maybe/maybe not".

If, by social progress, you mean accumulating acquaintances who'll put up with your believe in the paranormal, i.e. specifically "ghosts", you're going to have decide how many you want/need to accumulate to avoid having too many or too few. If your belief affects all, or even most of your socially-relevant activities, you could end up being really popular among those who share your level of belief and really unpopular among those whistle "The Twilight Zone" Theme tune when you're around.

Or, vice versa, you could end up being really popular among others who get spooked real easy, and have to pretend you don't believe around those have "enhanced sensitivities".

Same goes for finding "the right Other" lifetime partner. Find one who "sees dead people" everywhere, and you're never going to be alone, whether your partner is with or not. Find one who thinks you need to be medicated regularly and frequently, you'll need to ask for a financial wealth report, in order to determine whether they can and will pay for you medication and occasional/frequent therapeutic lockdowns.

Sorry I can't give better advice.

Thanks for the positive contribution to this thread. :thumbsup:

Terry Sampson

For the record, I will admit to seeing my brother-in-law in a couple of dreams, with the first coming to me on the day that he committed suicide. It was an amazing dream; actually all of them were. He showed up several times in my wife's dreams, too. (They were siblings.)

When my father died, in 2015, he was 94. I arrived too late to see him before he died, but I asked to see him laid out in the mortuary chapel, prior to his pending cremation.

I entered the chapel and went up to his remains, draped in a body-length shroud. Looking down at him, I heard his voice in my head, saying: "I'm not there." So, I said to him: "Then what am I doing here?" And he said: "I don't know." I took my cue and left. He ought to know, after all he'd been a Missouri Synod, Lutheran preacher for over 60 years.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
For the record, I will admit to seeing my brother-in-law in a couple of dreams, with the first coming to me on the day that he committed suicide. It was an amazing dream; actually all of them were. He showed up several times in my wife's dreams, too. (They were siblings.)

When my father died, in 2015, he was 94. I arrived too late to see him before he died, but I asked to see him laid out in the mortuary chapel, prior to his pending cremation.

I entered the chapel and went up to his remains, draped in a body-length shroud. Looking down at him, I heard his voice in my head, saying: "I'm not there." So, I said to him: "Then what am I doing here?" And he said: "I don't know." I took my cue and left. He ought to know, after all he'd been a Missouri Synod, Lutheran preacher for over 60 years.

I've had some experiences too. I haven't talked about them yet, because the timing has to be right where I feel I have the patience and ability with the written word to convey the thoughts.

Terry Sampson

I haven't talked about them yet, because the timing has to be right where I feel I have the patience and ability with the written word to convey the thoughts.

Screenshot_2019-05-18 Courage in Relationships Conquering Vulnerability and Fear.png

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've been worrying too much about every world issue, when I realized that I should pick 2 or 3 subjects and focus on them and may make more of a difference that way.

So taking all this in mind... there might be a few slight alterations to my posting style in the future. I'd like to start beat reporting on the subject of the paranormal and stories which show that "holier-than-thou" attitudes when applied to the ethics of human nature rarely work well.

There's been a conflict within myself. It's, I want to have strongly progressive ideas, but in the process of doing that, I portray myself as being holier-than-thou on the subject of ethics, and I probably don't represent that I have as raunchy a sense of humor as anyone. I'm going to resolve this by trying to tone down this overly positive nature, and focus on the issues I actually want to focus on.

(As to where that leaves my interesting thread on the subject of "Social progress", I'm not sure... but it's still there for people to gain perspectives from.)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"Social progress" is a rather foreign idea to me, but if by that you mean to ask how adhering to some particular ideology would impact interpersonal relationships with humans, that's going to vary given human diversity. In my experience, those who are not amiable enough to appreciate the diversity I bring to the world are not worth my time anyway, so I don't sweat it. Folks will identify with us on some things, and not on others. That is simply the way of things.

It's worth noting that some claim our world has become disenchanted by "modern progress" so to speak and that "nobody" believes in certain fantastical things anymore. That's rubbish. What's happened is it has become less socially acceptable to talk about it. People still have the experiences. They may gaslight themselves and each other about them, but they still have the experiences. What's important then is to find a safe space to share such stories and explore them. And remember not everyone will care to listen.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
"Social progress" is a rather foreign idea to me, but if by that you mean to ask how adhering to some particular ideology would impact interpersonal relationships with humans, that's going to vary given human diversity. In my experience, those who are not amiable enough to appreciate the diversity I bring to the world are not worth my time anyway, so I don't sweat it. Folks will identify with us on some things, and not on others. That is simply the way of things.

It's worth noting that claim claim our world has become disenchanted by "modern progress" so to speak and that "nobody" believes in certain fantastical things anymore. That's rubbish. What's happened is it has become less socially acceptable to talk about it. People still have the experiences. They may gaslight themselves and each other about them, but they still have the experiences. What's important then is to find a safe space to share such stories and explore them. And remember not everyone will care to listen.

Brilliant words. :thumbsup:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Would believing in the paranormal, specifically ghosts, via the vast number of accounts albeit without evidence, still making a strong abductive reasoning argument in my mind due to all the stories, hold back my social progress? Why or why not?

A friend of mine is an actor (no names). He was offered a job on one of the many "paranormal" tv programs (no names). He is a believe in the paranormal and was so excited about filming in a haunted castle. Perhaps he would actually see a ghost.

He arrived on set and recieved the script. Reading through it he was told what to whisper, what to shout and when to scream at the sight of the "scripted" ghost.

He walked off set in disgust.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
That's tricky. I once saw a ghost but I'm not sure if I was just young or it was all in my head or what it was.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I am a believer in the paranormal and ghosts based on the accumulated evidence and said beliefs have not hurt my social progress (whatever that is exactly).

Quick dismissal and disinterest hurts people's intellectual progress I believe.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My attitude toward ghosts has been formed in two ways. One way is by a couple of experiences I had. My intellectual understanding has been shaped by Meher Baba's comments on ghosts including this:

"Ghosts are departed spirits who have been too much attached to the Gross world. After dropping the physical body, they still desire to live in close contact with the Gross. They continue to gravitate in the lower Subtle and Astral planes. Their Astral sheath or envelope is automatically actuated by the impressions concerning the Gross, and keeps them tied down to the Gross for long periods."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
A friend of mine is an actor (no names). He was offered a job on one of the many "paranormal" tv programs (no names). He is a believe in the paranormal and was so excited about filming in a haunted castle. Perhaps he would actually see a ghost.

He arrived on set and recieved the script. Reading through it he was told what to whisper, what to shout and when to scream at the sight of the "scripted" ghost.

He walked off set in disgust.
I suppose if the money was good. "O]

While ghost shows are all bollocks , it does look like they have a pretty good time in general making them.